• Published 23rd Nov 2012
  • 2,737 Views, 57 Comments

Dash - Everythingpossible



The story of how young pegasus came to live in Ponyville, and how she got her peculiar mane.

  • ...
1
 57
 2,737

Chapter 4: Junior Speedsters

She had been in trouble before, but never like this, she imagined. Before she could even respond, she was imagining all sorts of terrible scenarios. Maybe she’d go to the Canterlot dungeons. Maybe she’d be banished. She’d even heard from some of her school friends that they used to send ponies to the moon, but she was pretty sure that was just a myth. But, why was the princess here?

“I’m sure you’re very confused right now.”

Wasn’t that true.

“Am– am I in trouble?” she asked, waiting with bated breath.

“Oh, no. Quite the opposite, in fact. Rainbow Dash, you’re a very... special pegasus. You’ve got a lot of talent. That’s why I’ve decided to send you to a more advanced program.” She was bewildered.

“Sp-special? Advanced?”

“Oh, yes. Starting next term, you’ll be studying at Junior Speedsters Flying School, a very prestigious academy, and one more suited to your natural ability.” Rainbow Dash was shocked. Junior Speedsters‽ The private school on the other side of Cloudsdale, only attended by the most skilled and, well, richest young pegasi?

“But– I– can’t– don’t–” The princess hushed her.

“Now, naturally, due to your circumstances, your tuition will be covered by the royal treasury. I want you to succeed.” She almost wanted to get out of her bed, and hug the alicorn. Herself, going to a private flying school? However, a new thought popped up in her head.

“Um– Princess C– Your majesty, I, um– wh-what about Fluttershy?” She couldn’t very well leave her best friend, practically her sister, all alone, to be bullied. The princess looked confused for a second, and then understood. “Fluttershy will no longer be going to flight school.” This shocked Rainbow Dash, but Celestia interjected. “–however, she will now be pursuing an alternate course of study. An animal shelter in Ponyville has graciously accepted her as an intern. You’ve got a lot of potential, don’t let it go to waste. Fluttershy will be fine.” She smiled. 
A small unicorn with a disorganized purple mane stuck her head through the door.

“Princess! We’ve got to get back to Canterl–” She paused at the sight of Rainbow Dash.

“Just a second, dear.” The filly disappeared. The princess chortled. Rainbow’s mouth was agape.

“Cloudwalking spell. That was my new student. It’s funny, she actually passed her entrance exam during the race. Perhaps you two shall meet again someday–” Her voice trailed off. “Well, I must go. Good luck, and never give up on your dreams.” With a wink, she moved out of the room. Rainbow Dash’s head was filled with thoughts. What would this new school be like? Would they like her there? Would they tease her? Would she ever see Fluttershy again?

Of the two times she had been in the hospital, this was definitely the best. She would still be at regular flight school for the rest of the year, but everything had changed. She was now the big mare on campus. Fluttershy was still there, and she enjoyed this sudden rise to the top. Dumbbell was nowhere to be seen. He wasn’t dead, Rainbow Dash had seen him at the hospital, but he wasn’t at school.

Soon enough, September came, and she was off to her new school. She bid goodbye to Thunderstreak, Lily Blossom, and Fluttershy, as they dropped her off.

It was an imposing structure, a solid brick Neo-Classical building, three stories tall (including the mezzanine) which one would struggle to understand how it could stay afloat on clouds alone. Legends were told of this school, which nearly all of the Royal Canterlot Guards and the Wonderbolts had attended. Pegasi flew about it in pairs, chatting, wearing lavender-and-gold striped ties and bows. She looked around in amazement for a while.

“Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Da-ash!”

She looked around. The voice came from an older, mauve pegasus galloping from the great oak double doors.

“If you’ll just come with me please, we’ve got a lot to do, you know, you’re a rather late entry, but you know with what the princess said I’m sure you’ll have no trouble–” They entered the school. “Now, we’ve got to go to the office, do some paperwork, make sure your transcripts got here- did I introduce myself, I’m Amber Dawn, Assistant Dean of Students– oh, we are terribly late–” Her voice faded into the distance as Rainbow Dash admired the school. She saw ponies, lots of ponies, most of them she didn’t recognize. A trophy case took up nearly an entire hall, full of silver and gold medals and medallions and cups earned by the school’s most skilled flyers.

Amber Dawn whisked her through a tornado of forms, sign this, initial this, write this here. It went on for what seemed like hours, until she finally handed her a manila envelope with 289 written on it in permanent marker. She then led her to a second, still impressive building behind the main one. This was the dormitory. She went over the rules, lights out at eleven, such and such, and then finally released her to her own business. Post-haste, she flew up to the second floor, and found the room that matched the number. Rock music blared through the door. She dug around in the bag with her wing until she was able to find a key. She put it in the lock, and opened the door.

What she saw inside surprised her. It was a creature unlike any she had ever seen, with the head, wings, and front limbs of an eagle, a purple streak highlighted in her feathers, and the lower body of a lion. A pair of purple eyes focused on her.

“Hey. ‘sup?”