• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 1,275 Views, 19 Comments

The Harmony War - Ten Speed



War has descended upon Equestria and the Bearers of the Elements have been defeated

  • ...
5
 19
 1,275

Chapter 8: The Last Goodbye

We had finally made it to Canterlot and were standing in front of the collapsed section of the library we had escaped. We also found the final resting place of Trixie, underneath the only living tree in the city. I insisted that I'd bury her so Twilight could get to work but she wouldn't have any of it. I was actually grateful she insisted on helping. It's hard to work a shovel with a gaping hole in your hand. We had found the shovel and a few other useful tools in the garden near by.

Once we had Trixie interred, Twilight said a few words. “I know you didn't like me... and I never meant to hurt you...” She cleared her throat before continuing her solemn eulogy. “I don't think you had many friends... I... I just wished I could have been your friend...” She turned to me, pausing for a moment before grasping the makeshift headstone in her hooves and planting it in the ground.

“Here lies The Great and Powerful Trixie
Magician, Hero, Friend”

After the ceremony was over we went inside. We spent the next three days searching through the dusty scrolls and tomes. It was fortunate that only the hallway had collapsed.

“This is pointless!” Twilight yelled in frustration. “We've been through every book, every scroll, every scrap of parchment in her... Twice!”

“Are you sure there's nothing here?” I sighed.

“There's only two spells in the entire library that would work but they're Discords spells,” Twilight replied. Even though he had been dead for four days, his mention still made me uneasy.

To tell the truth I felt kind of like a fifth wheel. Between Twilight being able to browse entire sections faster than I could flip through a single book and my bum hand restricting the size of book I could grab. Some of those books were obscenely large. Of course it didn't help that everything was written in a language I couldn't read. I mostly just looked at pictures.

I sighed again, “What do you got?”

She laid two scrolls out on the decrepit table that served as our work station. “This one would send you back to your world... And this one would turn My world back four years to before Discord was freed. UGH!”

She was frazzled. “If I went back to my world it would Equestria like this wouldn't it?” I asked. The answer was obvious.

“Yes,” Twilight replied.

“And if we sent Equestria back in time four years wouldn't Discord just immediately be free again?” I asked finishing my two part question.

“No. I know it sounds like a paradox but only Equestria would be reverted four years. Earth would still be in what is now the present,” Twilight stated matter of factly. “Your daughter... Cecilia would already be gone. The spell simply isn't powerful enough to affect the time line of two worlds.”

“Kind of a catch twenty-two huh?” I chuckled.

“I don't know how you find this amusing. Both of these spells call for The Catalyst. One of us won't survive...” she trailed off at the prospect before regaining her resolute composure. “I promised I would get you home and that's what I'm going to do!”

“Are you sure about that?” I asked in surprise.

She gave me a confident nod as she collected the two scrolls, “I'm sure. Both of the spells are similar. They use the same rune, its just a matter of reading from the right scroll and standing in the right circle.”

I wasn't very helpful and could only watch as Twilight began to etch the runes into the floor. When she had finished she stepped back to admire her work. Satisfied with what she had done she turned to me. “Are... Are you ready,” she asked. It was obvious how nervous she was. She didn't want to die.

“Yeah. Yeah, I think so,” I answered with a deathly calm. “You'll have to help me write me a translation though.” I added.

After the translation was finished we took our places. Twilight broke the awkward silence that had been building, “I'm ready when you are.”

“Yeah, just one sec,” I answered as I stared at the scroll in my hand. “Twilight, can you help me with this real quick?” I asked as I began to make my way towards her.

“Why what's wrong? Is there a problem?” She asked in alarm.

“No nothings wrong. I just need to make sure I'm doing this right,” I responded handing the scroll to her.

“Wait, this isn't the translation we made... Wait! This isn't even the right spell!” She stated, her pitch rose to match her confusion.

“I know,” I smiled at her.

Her gaze became fixed on the river of blood flowing down my arm as I clinched my injured fist ripping open the wound. The blood began the spatter on the ground causing the rune to begin to glow.

“Are you crazy!? You don't have to do this!” Twilight pleaded.

“I know,” I smiled again looking at the ground.

“If the runes are activated without the incantation the results would be catastrophic!” She shouted hysterically as she began to prance in a panic.

“That's what I was counting on,” I thought to myself. “Better read fast then Twilight Sparkle,” I said with a sheepish grin.

Without needing further convincing Twilight made a dash for the other rune laying the scroll out in front of her as she read. As she finished she picked up a shard of glass she had scavenged from the dust and drew it across her front leg. Her tears mixed with her blood on the floor. As a sparked raced across the floor from her circle to mine she gave one last sorrowful look with those sad violet eyes. “I'm sorry...” She choked through the tears in her eyes.

“Don't be sad. I have my own promise to keep,” I said offering one last kind smile. “Thank you Twilight, for everything, but your place is in another time.” I could feel energy coursing in my veins. The light shined through me, illuminating every corner of my soul. It was warm, soothing. I felt pure serenity. I would see my daughter again. “I'm proud to call you my friend. My name is...”