• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 730 Views, 13 Comments

A Vicious Triangle - EternalShadow54



A story of me and my life, and the two mares that affected me in the worst way... with love...

  • ...
0
 13
 730

Chapter 3

I arrived on time, not properly attired for the occasion. From what I understood, she dwelled just behind the lavish tree line that edged the sparkling lake, far enough to be shrouded from the naked eye, yet visible enough during a certain time of the day, when the sun hit it so, that it could appear to be only an illusion in a painting.

Her house wasn't the most extravagant in the town. On a seldom overlook, one might see the occasional torn planks jutting from the outside wall, or a hole in the low, silver, rusted metal roof that lay flat overhead. There was no front door, but just a cleverly set covering colorfully hanging from the front entrance, not a single window from what I could see. It was all so plain and tacky, the mood lightened slightly from the woodland fragrance that softly emitted from the thicket behind.

Passing the thin bramble concealing the front of the house, I was immediately met by the call of a young and familiar filly at my left, her voice both acknowledging my presence and rousing the attention of my soon to be hostess.

"You're here early," Lane yelled gently from within the building, poking her head from the front entrance. "It's only seven."

When I had left, my clock read at least half an hour past that time. It wasn't until then that I realized I had never set my clock back since my move. Not that it mattered that much, but it seemed a bit interesting to me all the same.

"O-oh... I h-hadn't realized..." I was sticking to my shied characteristics far too well, holding very closely to said roots as they showed through my nervous speech. She simply giggled at me and invited me inside, glancing at her daughter in a way that, in just that look itself, was enough to get her message of getting in the house through without a word spoken between them. Still on the shaky side, I took a small step onto the aged wooden porch, the boards creaking loudly at every paced contact of my hooves mixed along with the filly and Lane.

When I pushed through the rainbow cloth at the doorway, it had seemed like I had stepped right into a world all too familiar to me. The house was tiny, no larger than expected. The ceiling came low, enough to touch if I had only jumped. It was all one square, no walls or doors within to make separate rooms. A bed sat right in the middle, just a notch fancier than the one at my home. There was a smaller, much more bland mattress that occupied the left corner, a iron lantern and lace bound journal beside, presumably the filly's. To the right, there was a gravel stone stove, firewood cackling inside while a steaming cast iron pot rested on top, a delightful smell enticing me and filling the room. The ground was a roughly stitched carpet made of many types of fabrics and patterns. The walls were molded in a few places, a glimmer of mentioned mold every here and there throughout. In retrospect, it was simple with a hint of self reliance, and I liked simple.

"Sorry," she started suddenly, breaking me from my trance. "I thought I had a little more time to clean." Her face blushed away, clearly embarrassed.

"No, no. It's my fault for being early." What in Equestria was I saying? In no shape, form, or fashion was I the cause of this, but the words still held meaning to her as she, almost gracefully, waltzed over to the stove. The filly, whose name I believed to be Clary, trotted over to her bed, opening and quickly making an entry within her lace bound journal.

Standing at the entrance felt uncomfortable. I didn't exactly know where I was supposed to stand, or if I should just sit for that matter. Uneasy and unsure, I slowly lowered myself until I was awkwardly sitting in front of her doorway. Taking notice, she began to laugh.

"Now what am I to do if somepony else comes in?" I hastefully scurried off to the side. She laughed a bit harder. "You didn't have to move. I was just messing with ya." Even the filly started to chuckle at my outlandish and fickle behaviour. It was to my misfortune that I took everything far too seriously, even if stated sarcastic before or after the phrase or action. It didn't matter, not to them at least.

Not much happened the time I waited. Around eight or so it had began to grow dark, a humming of insects vividly heard just outside the thin walls. A drift flowed lightly behind me, chilling my blood while I sat, yet I never moved other than a periodical shift in weight. When it was about half past the time, the food had finished boiling.

"Food's done!" Lane said, lifing the pot with plain brown mits on her hooves. She carried the meal to her bed, setting it right in the middle. There was no gathering of bowls or plates, just the pot itself. Clary rushed over and nearly broke her muzzle lapping up whatever was in the container.

"Settle down. You're acting like you haven't eaten in days." If that had not been stated, I would have thought no different. She turned to me, a refrained smile breaking my nerves as she bid me to come over. The filly lifted her head from the cookware and tightly hugged her mother, thanking her for the 'wonderful' dinner and returning to her bed, continuing her journal.

It didn't feel right. By the time I was able to bring myself over, the steam from the iron pot had stopped ascending, the food now cold. Her gaze at me never averted its direction, and every step felt like another lead brick was tied down to my hoof. I took my seat, her eyes still laid heavily upon me as I peeked into the container.

"Boiled turnips," she said with my head looking down. "I grew them myself."

Turnips... of all the vegetables she could have made, it had to be turnips...

"It... certainly smelt like something different." Why did it have to be the one food I despised more than any other?

"I threw in a few spices I found near the lake after class." Her hoof hovered just from my unbroken stare at the repulsive, chilled meal. "Go on. Help yourself."

I can't stress how much I would have given to not have eaten, but I was raised differently than that, and my manners wouldn't permit rejecting a meal. Taking all the time in Equestria, I unwillingly brought the frozen iron cauldron up to my mouth and sipped at the distasteful water inside, avoiding the turnips. That in itself was almost enough to to unsettle my stomach. Offering the metal cookware to my host, I coughed a bit into my right hoof. Lane grabbed the pot and began to munch down on her own meal, so engorged that it was like I wasn't even there for a couple of those minutes. Finally, she finished, setting the now empty container back on her bed, never offering me another bite. Not that I minded or anything.

The rest of my time there was the most uneasy of my life, even more than being at Rezzly's. Lane, at one point, started ranting off about her job, all the children there, and how much she cared for each and every one of them. She went on to later talk about her late husband and how the ponies around were nice enough to have her teach the local school. They even offered to pay her, even though it wasn't much, but she refused, telling me that she was doing it out of the kindness of her heart.

I just listened, taking in every detail, even if I didn't want to. She continued relentlessly until the clock suddenly struck twelve.

"Oh my, look at the time!" She seemed so surprised that her constant ongoing had taken a good three hours of my life. Even Clary had fallen asleep some time ago during the conversation, which consisted of her speaking and her alone, my occasional nod of acknowledgement the only responses on my part.

"Heh, yea. It's getting late." I stood up. "I really should be getting home." Turning around, I aimed for my exit. Taking only half a step, forehoof still in the air, I felt something, or somepony, grab at my leg, hindering me. I stopped and spun myself around, Lane brushing her mane to straighten it.

"Let me see you out the door." I didn't object. I didn't think I'd have to. My first thought was that she was just being a nice pony, but here in a second, you'll see otherwise.

"Alright." She trotted past me, nudging her head off in the origin of the exit. Waiting at the door, she gave me a nervous grin. I walked up, turning to face and thank her for a lovely evening, but that didn't happen. Just like Rezzly, her lips connected to me, but with one difference. She had kissed me... on my lips...

It wasn't long, but it was a decent moment before she pulled away, cheeks flushed red. Embarrassed might have been the understatement of the century for this situation.

"I-I'm sorry," she muttered. "Nopony has ever spent this much time with me at once." I didn't speak.

"It's just that you listened so well, and you seem so nice." I didn't answer. I started once more for the door.

"You... will come back... right?" she proceeded on. I halted, not looking back like she had done to me at my own home. I waited on her to take the hint. "Or... I'll see you around town... right?" Still, I didn't respond. The only thing I said for the rest of that visit was a thanks for the dinner, and with that said, I left, heart pinched in a way I couldn't explain. In that one instant, that one split moment that felt longer than what it probably was, I felt... strangely contempt.


My head was spinning. The walk home was cold, and my body felt empty. What was it that made me feel so? Why did what happened happen? And to me of all ponies? I couldn't process it. I had heard everything about her, and she seemed so nice, but it was all so fast. Why did she kiss me? Why did she have to show up at my doorstep? Just... why?

The subject at hoof didn't get any better upon my arrival at home. Apparently, a certain somepony I had already met, a mare, had found out where I was living and had sent several gifts, all that were wrapped in that kind of wrapping that was almost too beautiful in itself to rip apart.

I didn't open them, at least not that night. I was tired, and my brain was overwhelmed. That was not to mention the feelings that were ripping at me on the inside. I did, however, read one of the notes on the gifts. It read as followed:

-Dear Leafy Summers,

I sent these in hopes that your stay would be more comfortable. Please, if I went too far, or if any of the gifts don't fit your pleasure, don't hesitate to let me know. You know where to find me, and my doors are always welcome to my new favourite guest.

~Signed, Rezzly Reed

Entering my home, I found that she had also found where I had hidden my key, the metal door opener setting on my dresser, though I didn't lock my door anyway. Why the gifts were outside then, I don't know, but why there was a wooden floor and a new plush yellow sofa in my house, I didn't want to know. I brought the presents inside, sat them in a corner, and laid down in my bed. Heh, funny. Even the sheets were new. I didn't think too much about it, but I was going to have to have a talk with my new friend, because these gifts weren't helping my case. In fact, it only made me feel even worse inside...