• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 824 Views, 3 Comments

Uncontrolable - BetaGravGear



A young solider from a neighboring nation is forced to go to the prestigous Ponyville Academy

  • ...
6
 3
 824

Cutie Mark Theory

Twilight kept her smile as both foreigners’ faces showed a hint of confusion. She saw the two exchange glances for a second before Strike spoke up his now building thoughts.

“The magic of friendship?” he asked in a confused tone. “What is that? Some kind of special arcane art that helps someone act nicer or something?” Strike was being completely serious and Twilight could tell. She just shook her head as she explained the premise of one of her favorite teachings.

“The magic of friendship,” she started, her smile growing wider now that she was in a familiar subject, “is something I have been studying here under Princess Celestia’s orders. It is the lessons me and my friends have learned from various events and happenings. It has really helped all of us grow into more dependable and friendlier people. It is the eternal bond that we all share that helps us get through even the toughest of times. The Princess hopes that by teaching Cy about it, he will become less aggressive and more open.” Twilight ended, her eyes closed and a wide smile on her face as she reminisced about some of the adventures she and her friends had. Cy just rolled his eyes only to get a small hit on the head by Strike, silently telling him to be a little more respectful. Twilights thoughts were broken up by Strike who had just taken a quick glance at his watch, realizing that he had to go back to the base to help out.

“I am sorry to cut this short Miss Sparkle,” Strike began as he started to rise from his chair, “but I have to get going. The unit is still setting up and I have to make sure no one tries to cut any corners. It was nice to meet you both.” Strike shook both Equestrians hands before heading towards the door, pausing for a moment to give one last bit of information to Cy before he left. “I also should warn you about something Cy. It seems that Reaper is coming a bit early, and something tells me they will want to have a little chat with you. Keep that in mind before you even think about anything. Have a good day and I will make sure someone is here to pick you up at the end of the school day.” Strike stated as he left the room leaving Cy alone with his new principal and ‘mentor’. After a moment of silence, Wright spoke up to ease the building tension he felt rising from both teenagers.

“Now then Twilight,” He started as he looked at his star pupil, “I have a bit of work I still have to do concerning Cys’ admission and enrollment. I am entrusting you to give him the grand tour of our grand campus. You can handle that right?” he asked after seeing Twilight turn pale and start to shake. She quickly shook her head and nodded to her principal.

“You can count on me Mr. Wright” she stated with a determined look on her face, all prior fears and uneasiness taken over by hopes of gaining yet another new friend. This time from another country that was quite unique when compared to Equestira. Mr. Wright chuckled to himself as he got started on his paperwork.

“I knew I could. Now you two go ahead and start, class can only be delayed for so long.” Mr. Wright stated as he saw Twilight get up and hold her hand out toward Cy. Cy scoffed and swatted the hand away, mumbling something about being able to do things on his own just fine as he got out of the chair. Twilight, though a little disheartened by the turndown, still kept her cheery attitude as she told Cy to follow her. Cy complied and followed the Unimagi out of the office and outside of the administrative building. As the two went outside, Twilight started to talk about the school in a way that was a little to detailed in Cys’ opinion.

“This is Ponyville Academy, home to some of the best and brightest minds in all of Equestira!” She began as she did a little twirl with her hands outstretched, trying to present the academy as a whole. “This academy is where many come to help them get a jumpstart on their future job or trade” she stated, though what she had just said confused Cy greatly. Cy had to speak up about the small error that was in her statement. Before Twilight could get another word out, Cy interrupted her, voicing his thought.

“What do you mean ‘get a jumpstart on their future job or trade’?” Cy asked as he continued, “I believe you mean that they learn the skills and knowledge needed to advance in their education and maybe help them get a jumpstart on a career that they want.” Cy stated, remembering his classes from back home teaching him a wide variety of knowledge. While some did focus on a certain skill or trade, most were things that everybody had to know in order to get a job out in the real world. Cys’ statement however, confused Twilight as she took a thoughtful pose to try and think though what the young military member had just said.

“Why would you go through those kinds of classes if you already know what you are good at?” Twilight asked only to get a confused look from Cy. “You know that special talent that everyone has?” Once again she received a blank look from him. “Come on, that one special skill that you are best at. It is what your Cutie Mark represents remember?” she asked, this time getting a completely confused looking Cy who could only say one thing at this point.

“What the hell is a ‘Cutie Mark’?” he asked as he glared at the Unimagi, not believing there could be something so absurdly named existing in this world. Twilights’ jaw fell as she stared at Cy wide eyed, not believing the fact that there was someone who did not know what a Cutie Mark was. Twilight slowly recovered and started to explain the concept to Cy.

“A Cutie Mark is what shows everyone what your special talent is.” She started as she looked at Cys left hand to see if he had his yet. She jumped a little when Cy jerked his hand away when he saw her inspecting it. Twilight could feel a murderous glare coming from Cy, confusing her as to what could cause a reaction like that. Casting the strange behavior aside, she moved her sleeve away from her left hand to show her mark to Cy. “This is my Cutie Mark” Twilight stated as Cy inspected the strange looking mark on the back her hand. It looked like a purple six pointed star over a white six pointed star with five smaller white stars surrounding it. “Of course we also have it on both of our hips, but this one is much easier and more appropriate to show everybody.”

“So what does yours mean then? Astronomy or, something like that?” Cy asked as he crossed his arms, not quite grasping this strange concept of tattooing a skill that you think you are best at onto your hips and left hand.

“No,” Twilight stated. “Mine stands for magic. I am sure you have seen people with marks where you come from.” Twilight ended, starting to get a little tired of having to explain such a simple and elementary subject to someone her own age. Cy thought for a second, remembering the only marks he saw on people were tribal marks, ID marks, or the faction mark along with some others, but never before had he even heard of a cutie mark. Let alone a mark based on ones skills.

“I have seen a lot of different kinds of marks,” Cy started, his eyes narrowing, “but one based solely on skill is unheard of where I come from. It is arbitrary to tattoo such a mark on yourself, because skills can come and go. The mark would become obsolete after a while.” Cy opened his eyes and waited for the Unimagi to respond, which only took a few moments.

“What do you mean ‘tattoo’ it on ourselves,” the purple haired Unimagi started, now getting irritated at the foreigner in front of her. “It shows up naturally after…” Twilight was cut off by a loud shout from somewhere above. Twilight turned her head while Cy sidestepped just in time for a multicolored blur to rush right by where he was standing right into Twilight.

Author's Note:

Lots of background work has been done to this story, most of which won't be seen for a while. Some cool stuff coming, just trust me on it.