• Published 7th Jan 2012
  • 2,810 Views, 32 Comments

Trixie and the Mirror - Mightyfinemorning



Trixie finds a magic mirror and decides to take a look.

  • ...
3
 32
 2,810

Mirror Magic

“And you can’t remember a thing after looking into the mirror?” Twilight asked her as she rapidly scanned through another book.

Was her decision to meet Twilight in this world was the right decision?

Trixie nodded. “And there would be no reason for her to just cast such spells. Trixie here have not yet mastered the mirror magic; its intricacy she finds it quite challenging. You do know better than to cast a spell without really knowing what is going to happen, don’t you?”

Was this the best choice she could make?

“Um…yeah.” For some reason unknown to Trixie Twilight awkwardly smiled, looking very eager to quickly change the subject. “Anyway, that does make sense. According to the books I read so far, mirror magic is especially difficult, requiring the caster to pay great attention. The magic attempts to temporarily break the boundary existing between the two worlds inside and outside the mirror, making it possible for moving one object in one world to another.”

“My, that sounds very confusing.” Fluttershy said.

One step at a time, because even a magician only half-expected the result of her tricks. Magic could be quite volatile-and when one dared to access the realm of imagination, unbounded worlds of fantasy, she could never expect what she would discover. Thus she had to be prepared for variables. Expected the unexpected.

Dash pinched her side with her wings. “Hmm. That felt real. So this is not a dream! Had to make sure. But it still feels like I’m dreaming. This is getting just too strange.”

It may have been a dream. Sometimes she ended up in places so realistic if not for her keen senses she would have never known it was a dream until she woke up. But she knew where she was right now. Because Trixie was good at locating where she was. She always found a way among the illusions she kept inside her mind. She knew this was real. A different reality-still the concept she did not fully comprehend, but her keen instinct which allowed her to take the path of the magician aided her in figuring out what to do in such a perplexing situation.

How? Well, she said to herself. Some concepts she just knew it by heart. She never understood it properly, but if she could cast magic, then it was generally fine. Could that not be considered as mastering it after all? She was sure Princess Celestia did not calculate the motion of the celestial body every time she made the sun rise. Mastery-yes, it was indeed important, but to Trixie there were many kinds of masteries. One could choose whatever she desired, depending on the circumstances.

She tried to continue with her thinking. So Trixie looked into the mirror. There was definitely a magic involved in her sudden displacement. A noticeable trace of magic she could not find, except the past residues of magical energy which did not mean much. But her experience told otherwise. A magician was to be very familiar with deception. Trixie could find her way inside the darkest shadows, though not completely confident, aided by her wits and educated guesses. She could not really explain to others. No evidence she had found to prove her thesis. It was just a guess, just as random as a madpony’s ramblings. Would she have believed if Twilight said she was from the future or from the world inside the mirror? Highly unlikely. But the unexpected always found a way to break into her world, and the Great and Powerful Trixie had to deal with them somehow.

Sometimes, she thought Equestria was more governed by disorderly energies that could not be tamed. Chances of impossible probabilities did really happen. If she did not take the road in that very moment, what would have all happened? What if she never met Twilight and her friends at all and never met Nightmare Moon or Discord?

She could be Trixie outside the mirror. Maybe. Maybe? Probably. She could never know exactly. Just guessing, expanding upon her threads of thoughts that were not particularly meaningful to her.

But the situation demanded that she search every possible explanation for her current state, and so she came this far, meeting the powerful magic-wielder who was not so expert in tricks as Trixie did, but who nonetheless possessed a keen knowledge of magic in general, in this world which was not so different from her own, but still somewhat distinct from it.

Twilight Sparkle. As the bearer of the elements, she represented magic which combined other five elements-kindnesses, generosity, honesty, loyalty, and laughter-working out wonders, defeating two ancient evils of Equestria. Trixie saw it with her eyes. She faced Nightmare Moon and Discord. Each time she did not falter a bit, staring at the mighty heavenly beings whose power she found it absolutely terrible.

And then there was this Twilight, harnessing the power of the elements, vanquishing the evils not once, but twice. In difficult times she worked out wonders. And thus the Great and Powerful Trixie came to seek her help. Trixie told herself this was the best choice she could make.

When she woke up in that cottage, and after pondering what to do in this strange world she found herself in, she headed straight to Ponyville Library. A very similar world-and a pony who she knew was within her reach. Not entirely same, but similar. Something might be different, but such small details she could work it out. She knew where to go. Trixie just had a feeling that she should see Twilight right away. Complete coincidence Trixie could not ignore.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Rainbow Dash. “And since this is not a dream, we’ll have to find an explanation. So far we know Trixie here is from another world. A world inside the mirror, is it?”

“Maybe.”

“What do you mean, maybe?” Dash raised an eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you don’t know where you are from?”

Trixie sighed. Dash had a point. Just how was she going to convince her case when she herself could not be so sure? She was still working to make sense of her theory that was not yet even a theory. She could understand for Trixie inside the mirror to finally to let it all out to Princess Celestia. Inevitably she was going to meet up with the bearers-neighsayers, in her terms. The great mystery the Great and Powerful Trixie could not easily fathom. The trick was indeed an exceptional quality. It was just too fine, too full of disharmony. She would have suspected the draconequus who was now encased in a stone.

“I’m sorry, but that makes you more suspicious. You know that, right?”

“Spike, we don’t know if she is Trixie or not!”

“Yeah, Twilight. I just want to make it sure that this is not one of her trick.”

So this was the neighsayer Spike Trixie was facing, huh? She felt slightly annoyed, not only because of the young dragon’s words, but also because of her inability to truly understand the whole sequence of things. If she was high above the audience, doing her usual show, then she would have known everything on the stage, fine details and elaborate tricks that escaped spectators’ eyes.

She did not expect to understand the situation completely. That would have been good, but she was not the one who was running the show, at least for now. It was not her stage. She was down below, not high above. She could say she was like a puppet, a fictional character that performed her given role. The pony who was planning all of this grand scenario made sure she got only the information she needed to play the character she was supposed to play.

“Well, I’d say I can believe her story.”

Though Trixie did not have to remind herself that as the Great and Powerful Trixie it was not right for her to be inside the stage. If she was somepony else, then maybe she would have been content with her situation, maybe be amazed at this sudden change. But not for the Great and Powerful Trixie. She was not only Great, but also Powerful as well. The title alone gave her plenty of reasons that she be restored to her previous state immediately.

And that, Trixie believed, was among many reasons why Trixie outside the mirror who found herself inside the mirror approached Princess Celestia. Trixie could afford to lose some of her pride-temporarily. In the end she was going to reclaim her place high above the stage. Because she was the Great and Powerful Trixie.

“I agree with Dash. She does not look so mean like last time…”

“Geez, not even Dash and Fluttershy too? Guess I have no choice then.” Spike looked at her. He was not still convinced, that was for sure. Other Trixie might have stared down at him with all the pride and disdain she could muster, but not her. He was her friends’ trustworthy assistant, and she was going to show her hospitality as much as she could.

How unfortunate of Trixie, she said to herself. The question still not resolved, it resurfaced inside her mind. Why was everything so different? Trixie was Trixie-regardless of where she was, either inside or outside of the mirror. Just a mere chance that each Trixie found herself in a different position? Could it be?

But did she not know already? It had to be. A world governed by chances that nopony ever expected. Simple as that. Besides, it was Trixie’s problem, not hers. Trixie knew. Both Trixies had to know the fact, lest she be not Trixie and an imposter who dared to claim the title.

“The books does mention about mirror-worlds. According to Les Blanc the Prestigious, what we see inside the mirror may be images of otherworlds that may well be alternative realities. A powerful illusion spell may establish a connection point between two worlds, allowing a pony to swap places with her ‘mirror-self’. But who could have cast the spell then? You sure you don’t remember anything?”

“Her memory Trixie finds it still a bit hazy.” She said. And it was true. No matter how she reached every corner of her mind, the information which should have been stored was just not there. “But how, she wonders. Trixie looked into the mirror-then suddenly it happened. She did not feel a thing. She just woke up to find herself in this world.”

“So somepony cast a magic then?”

“Somepony-or something. Magic just does not happen without a proper source…as far as she knows.” Trixie muttered. She was not so sure. She hesitated to finish her words.

Trixie expanded upon her memories, once again embarking her search upon previous experiences she had. “She was looking at the mirror.” Trixie said. Others all looked at her, as if expecting she finally found an answer. Well, she hoped. Magic was never truly simple. It may appear to be, but as the Great and Powerful Trixie she was better than just to fall blindly fall into a false sense of security.

“Was there somepony with you?”

“No. Trixie was just alone. In the old changing chamber of Canterlot. She was preparing for the grand celebration.”

“What celebration?”

“I don’t think that’s important, Spike. So Trixie, you were looking at the mirror…so did you see something strange on the mirror?” Twilight’s eyes beamed. Perhaps she knew something?

Of course, a mirror was showing Trixie. She remembered that part clearly. But then what happened? Besides certain point her thoughts became a jumbled mess. There was a barrier-that was how she felt. Her memory she could not fully enter.

But why? How could the Great and Powerful Trixie not gain access to her memory? It should have been easy as a pie. It was a regular chore for her. As an illusionist she had to know what was truly right. Only then she could put her magic to full work. As the great maxim said, it was always mastery before manipulation, clarification before control. Was there something that she could not yet recognize, doing something to her?

Trixie carefully chose her words before speaking. At least she tried to. “Yes…she does remember staring at her own reflection. But then, next thing she saw was the old cottage of this world.”

“Well, I think maybe some sleep will make you remember. It’s already midnight, you know. If you don’t mind, I think I’m going to get some sleep.” Spike yawned and went up the stairs. “Good night, Twilight. And Dash and Shy too.” Then he looked at Trixie. “And you too, Trixie. Sure feels strange to see another version of you.”

“Technically she is Trixie as Trixie is Trixie.” She replied. “Maybe she could use some rest…especially after a heavy mental labor which required much of her concentration.”

“Come to think of it, we were almost getting ready for sleeps for ourselves.” Dash said. “But then we saw Trixie, and that’s how we got here.”

“Well, since it’s so late, why don’t we just sleep all here? I’m sure I got spare blankets somewhere. The first floor is big enough, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Would that be okay for you, Trixie?” Twilight said.

“Of course not. Trixie thanks for your consideration.”

In a relatively short time the bed was made, and Trixie lied down along with others. She could hear few giggles as Twilight, Dash and Fluttershy talked what they did in the day, but soon they were all asleep.

The scene itself Trixie was familiar with-she went to several slumber parties to Twilight’s place back in her own world. She was their friend. But what about other Trixie? It still bothered her. She caught a glimpse of Trixie-previously she thought the detail was insignificant. Maybe what she ignored was actually the key? She was planning to sleep like others, and try to think matters next morning. Maybe a good night’s rest would rejuvenate her exhausted brain. Now she thought she just could not sleep with the thought suddenly occurring on her.

Trixie yawned. Or she could just sleep.

But she thought she discovered something. Was she just let it pass away, sending it away to realm of oblivion? Memories were precious objects; one could not afford to lose any, especially a magician like the Great and Powerful Trixie. Two Trixies, looking at the mirror; then the magic happened. If one Trixie was doing nothing, then perhaps the other could be?

She shook her head. No, that cannot be possible. Trixie knew who she was. That just could not be. She would not do a thing. Trixie could never do it.

Another yawn escaped from her lips. Bodily functions she could control it only to a certain degree-Trixie was ther master, but she knew where her boundaries ended. Besides, sleep now seemed a really good option for her. Perhaps she might dream of something that would help her to unravel the mystery. Perhaps. Or maybe not. Either way she was going to sleep.

Trixie closed her eyes as she felt absolute darkness taking her. Even then she did not let go of her consciousness. A battle she knew she was going to lose- but then again, the effort could not be entirely fruitless. Dreams-sometimes she dreamt of things she so clanged while she was awake.


“Trixie does not remember.”

That was what she said. She did not remember.

“Maybe it would be better if we all take a good night’s sleep and refresh ourselves? Running the celebration was certainly an ordeal.” Princess Celestia said.

“And we did find out something happened while Trixie was looking at mirror. Come to think, when I talked with you in the changing room the magic was already done…well, we found one clue, and I’m sure we can figure this out when we wake up tomorrow. I do feel tired.”

“Rest assured, Twilight. And you all should sleep. I shall solely take any remaining official duties for the night. Though, I hardly expect any. Some cleanup perhaps would be necessary. I will inform the royal servants right away.” Princess Luna said. “Good night, everypony. I shall join you in the morning should you need me.” She stepped out of the library.

“Yep, ah doubt anypony would not mind hitting the hay.” Applejack yawned.

“Right, Applejack. You shall be escorted into your rooms shortly.” Princess Celestia said.

In a few minutes Trixie was inside one of the sleeping chamber. The room had several beds that could well store dozens of ponies. Already others were making their bed, falling asleep in an instant.

“Good night all!” The lavender pony said as she turned off the light. Others did not bother to reply.

But not Trixie. Sure, she was tired, but something was bothering her. She could not quite put it to words. It was like when she was learning magic that she could not yet understand.

‘If ya can’t understand it, then pretend you know. Just practice it.’ That was what he said. When Trixie asked how she was going to master the magic if she did not properly comprehend it, he just shrugged and assumed that doing something repeatedly could be an effective method. ‘Magic involves making something magical which is clearly not. All those practices, believe me lassie, are not pretty. Sometimes extremely boring. But since I’m a magician, I gotta make everything look pretty. Audiences don’t mind. If it’s good for them, then it’s fine with them. They love getting tricked. If you trick them right, that is.’

And she had to admit some tricks of her she just performed out of her memory. That he said was some kind of mastery.

But that was not important right now. It was only the feeling that was similar. A concept, an idea she could not readily accept-but which was somewhat familiar. No, she understood it. She knew it perfectly.

Two Trixies. She whispered. She had to make sure that nopony heard her words. They were all probably deep in their slumber-but her own silent voice thundered in her ears. Two Trixies, looking at the mirror. Then the magic happened.

As Twilight said, magic needed some kind of focus. Every unicorn know that. Magic just did not happen. It was a result of careful manipulation of energies. It was wonderful, but to do so a pony had to know what she was doing. Magic could be explained in some way. No locus, no magic. That fact was the divine truth.

Oh, Trixie. You know it already, don’t you?

Yes, she knows.

How long have you been ignoring it?

Ever since she found herself in this world.

It was kind of a success, right? Trixie here seemed to be in a favorable position.

Only for Trixie. Not for me.

You said Trixie was Trixie. Even if you didn’t say so, you know you believe to be so. What difference would it make? You are still Trixie, and in this world Trixie is truly what you wanted Trixie to be. Great and Powerful.

This world is inside the mirror. Trixie does not belong here. Not this Trixie.

Then why did you come here in the first place?

Trixie…has made a mistake.

Mistake? The Great and Powerful Trixie do not ever make mistake. What may seem like a mistake is only letting others fool for Trixie’s grand scheme.

No, you are wrong. It was a mistake. Trixie don’t know why she did that. That is what Trixie think. I know it was my mistake.

And whatever you are, I know you are Trixie as I am Trixie. But you would know I am the master of myself.

With that Trixie drifted into sleep. She was not in a state to continue the pointless argument with her own self. So many Trixies-if she looked into the mirror, she saw Trixie, her own self. Only Trixie. Always. No exception. If somepony looked at Trixie, she was only going to discover Trixie.

She did not remember. She chose to. It was not like she could not remember. She did not.

And maybe now was the time to reaffirm her status. It was obvious-she could trick herself, and yet still remember it was she who tricked Trixie herself.

So who did it?

Trixie did it. She said. I did it. It was me.

Then she surrendered to blissful oblivion. At least for a while she would not have to deal with the revelation. Well, maybe.