• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 790 Views, 15 Comments

A Bit of Reason - LordBarcha



Short stories about the interaction of science and magic.

  • ...
0
 15
 790

Hubris

Tick.

Twilight soared through the sky on violet wings. The clouds fell away as the cold darkness of space embraced her. Soaring higher still, she found the burning eye of the sun staring down at her. It blinked once, and its voice spoke disapprovingly.

“No.”

Her wings burst into flame. The void yawned open beneath her. She fell, screaming.

Tock.

Twilight blinked. She was running from something. What was it? Behind her, a sound pierced the darkness, the first wail of a newborn foal. She turned in confusion. Why was she running? A figure wreathed in flame stood in the distance. At its feet, the child wailed. Its coat was purple and its horn glowing.

The sun flashed again, burning the world away.

Tick.

Twilight stood outside a store. Two ponies walked out, both herself and another she had never seen before.

“I’m sorry. We’re closing this place down.” The unknown stated, “We no longer have any need of your services.”

From above, a crescent moon fell from the sky, crushing the world into nothing.

Tock.

Twilight was running again. When had she started? Why was she being chased? Behind her, an armored figure charged, spear outstretched. On its forehead, the symbol of the moon glimmered dully. Tripping, she skidded across the ground.

“Why?” she asked the armored being.

The spear plunged down, the darkness coming with it.

Tick.

A stone statue stared down at her, its face a picture of sadness. A single tear dropped from its eyes, striking the ground at her feet. Crystal sprouted from the ground, wrapping around Twilight and dragging her down.

Tock.

She floated alone in a living sea. The glaring sun stared down as the water filled her lungs and the world went dark yet again.

Tick.

With a rattle, the world stopped and she was sent flying off into space.
Tock.

The lances came quickly, driving her off of the cliff.

Tick.

She collapsed, unable to keep moving.

To-


Project Transcendance: Final Report

The lead researcher of this project volunteered to take part in it first. Her reasons were simple. The nature of the project did not lend itself well to testing on anything non-sapient. In much the same way, we could not be certain that it would work at all.

It seemed like a success. After an extended period of development, Twilight had manifested all of the intended attributes. From what we could tell, she had become an alicorn. All of our tests indicated the same. No flaws or faults could be found with the procedure. Eventually, the deputy made the call. It was time to wake her up.

One hour later, her brain activity spiked. For several seconds, every reading was off the chart. Barely ten seconds later, all brain activity stopped. She stopped breathing and her heart stopped beating. Twilight Sparkle was pronounced dead on December 13, 1532 at 4:32PM.

After such a failure and loss, we cannot continue this project in good conscience. Perhaps we should never have begun it.