• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 3,460 Views, 43 Comments

Long live the king - Msande



A subtle change in plans puts the King of the Crystal Empire in a much different position

  • ...
10
 43
 3,460

A trip back home

A trip back home.

"So this home huh?" asked Sombra as he looked out the window of the train. "All pink is kind of weird," he commented in an even tone.

"It's going to be nice to be back. I hope Owlowiscious is okay," Twilight said.

"Owlowiscious?" Sombra asked.

"Oh yes, my night time assistant. He is an owl that helps me out when Spike is asleep," Twilight explained as Sombra nodded, glancing out of the window. "You okay? You seem very quiet."

"Just thinking. It's funny, I defended Celestia, her plans, and ideas. And I was right. Everything is as I envisioned it would be under her rule. I wish I could enjoy it but those damned fools in charge of the Empire, I know they would deny it."

"How do you know?" asked Twilight. "I would think Celestia would be more than prepared to step in, and take care of it."

"Like she took on that invasion? It proves Celestia is not ready for me to step down. If it costs the happiness of one city state over an entire nation, so be it."

"How can you say that? I am sure everything would have worked out fine if you hadn't gotten so possessive," Twilight said.

"Well I do not share your optimism. I just hope this doesn't blow up in my face. I am taking an incredibly large risk taking this little trip."

"Than why are you taking it in the first place?" Twilight asked.

"My home, I wish to see my old home. It has been a long time, and to be honest I am mildly interested. While I have read up, I wish to see first hand how this world has changed."

"Well you're riding one," Twilight reminded. Sombra didn't reply as he shifted in his seat.

"I was trying to push that out of the back of my mind," he growled but despite all his unrest, he seemed much more stable.

"Wow, it's been so long since I have seen Gummy. I hope he isn't lonely. Oh and the Cakes! I wonder if they will throw us a welcome back party. Oh no, I wonder if we have any new ponies, and I wasn't there to throw them a welcome to Ponyville party!" she exclaimed.

"No more parties. I am still jarred from the last one," he said, shaking his head. Twilight glanced out of the window and saw the small town slowly coming closer and closer.

"I am kind of happy that Pinkie is with us. I really don't like the idea of getting a party considering the company." she thought to herself. When she realized she had no idea how the rest of Equestria was handling the return of the Crystal Empire or if they even knew. "Fish and custard," she belated, considering the information fairly important. "Of all the things to forget to ask," she frowned when the train suddenly lurched as it slowed down.

The train finally crawled to a stop as the conductor announced Ponyville. "Well, we will take the train to Canterlot tomorrow," Twilight explained. "I already have a dress picked out, but you may want to dress up as well," Twilight said as Sombra simply grunted. "I am not sure what you are going to do, but I live at the library. It's a tree in the center of town in case we get separated."

"I have some place I wish to go alone," Sombra said as his eyes glowed. The collar reflected it before dimming back to normal. "We now have no real distance issues, since I have a bit of walking to do."

"Okay but could you at least get fitted for a suit?" Twilight asked. His eyes suddenly flashed from his normal green and red to a more normal white and blue.

"Sure thing," Sombra said, not really listening. Twilight took one step off the train when she was suddenly mobbed.

"WE WERE SO WORRIED!" cried out Rarity as she grabbed Twilight. Rarity was suddenly joined by Applejack and Fluttershy as well.

"GROUP HUG!" shouted Pinkie Pie as she dragged Dash into a massive hug.

"Can't breathe," Twilight cried out. She was finally released and she glanced back. "Where is Sombra?" she asked as everypony glanced around for a moment. She glanced back to see him simply waiting for the group of mares to move out of the way. The group shifted in unison to the side as he stepped off.

"I have no memory of this place," he said as a red stallion walked up to the group.

"Big Mac," Applejack said wearily as the two stallions stood at eye level of each other. Neither stallion had a readable expression and nobody seemed to even twitch.

"You don't seem like much of a villain," Big Mac finally said.

"How many ponies do you meet that see themselves as a villain?" Sombra asked.

"I reckon that's true," Big Mac said as he stepped to the side, "If you get lost, I'd be more than happy to help. I live on the old orchard outside of town, hard to miss."

"Appreciate the offer, but I don't intend to head in that direction," Sombra said, glancing at Twilight. "I plan to be back before sunset. If not, don't wait up," he said as he trotted off. Everyone released a sigh of relief.

______

"Well, one small step," Sombra said to himself as he headed into the Everfree Forest. "I am not looking forward to this," he said out loud.

"To what?" Spike asked. Sombra spun around to see the baby dragon standing behind him.

"What are you doing here? This is no place for a child," Sombra said as he approached Spike, towering over him.

"Well, you see," Spike tried to say as his toes scratched at the ground. "I know you are new and everything, so I thought I would keep an eye out for you. Besides its dangerous to go into the Forest, even during the day." Spike pointed out. Sombra looked back at the forest.

"This is a personal matter, and I have no desire to babysit. So head home to your mother or sister, friend, lover, or what ever you call Twilight," Sombra ordered as he pointed his hoof back at Ponyville.

"Lover," Spike said in a disgusted voice, but it twisted into a more thoughtful one. "I guess sister would work," Spike said, more to himself.

"Great, now that your deep inner turmoil has been fixed, go!" Sombra ordered.

"Okay, but I may let it slip what you are up to. And then Twilight would come running, all worried and stuff," Spike said as he looked down at the ground. Then he turned and headed off.

"Fine, but try to keep up. And I'm not responsible for you if you get lost," Sombra said dismissively as he continued deeper into the Forest.

"So can I ride on your back? it's hard to keep up with you," Spike asked after a good half hour of traveling. Sombra glanced over his back to see Spike was panting rather hard.

"Fine," he said as Spike ran up to him. Spike stood there for a moment before Sombra rolled his eyes and crouched down so Spike could jump on his back. "Don't you have things you need to do at home? A pet or something you can be bothering?"

Meanwhile ...

"Okay then Spike, I need you to take a quick look over, make sure every think is in place. Spike?" Twilight asked as she glanced back to see her dragon was missing in action.

______

"Nope" Spike said as he glanced upwards.

"I must not be as terrifying as I used to be," Sombra mumbled to himself.

"Who says I am not?" Spike asked, Sombra glanced back, a bit confused, "Oh, terrified of you, actually. Since seeing everything you have done, I can honestly say you are even more terrifying than Discord."

"What?" Sombra asked, clearly wanting some clarity.

"Oh yeah, he got out of his prison," Spike said with a slight shrug. "But Twilight took care of him," Spike said with a bit of pride in his voice.

"Really, tell me more," asked Sombra. Spike had no issues talking about, well, anything.

"So do you talk a lot when you are scared?" asked Sombra and Spike nodded.

"Yeah, how did you know?" asked Spike as he glanced around the dark trees of the Everfree Forest. Sombra glanced down his back to see Spike's claws had dug into his side.

"Kid, I am the most powerful thing in this forest," Sombra said, rather sure of himself. "Now then, it shouldn't be much longer and I should be able to see my old home."

"So does that make you a prince, or maybe a student like Twilight?" asked Spike.

"I..." Sombra started, only to be cut off.

"Roar!" A massive shadow crashed out of the trees as three Timberwolves emerged.

"Ahhhhh!" Spike screamed as he jumped off Sombra's back and started running around in circles.

"Timberwolves, and here I thought Celestia would have gotten rid of these things," Sombra said to himself as Spike raced passed him again. "Or had something to keep them from getting to close to civilization. I have yet to even see any form of law enforcement."

"Ahhh!" Spike continued as the Timberwolves started to close in.

"I am not in the mood," Sombra snapped as he grabbed all three of the wolves, and tossed them back into woods. His eyes flared up as he glared at the brush. "Challenge me," he said in a cold tone. After a single moment, he heard some low whimpering before the wolves scattered. "Now then, shall we be on our way?" Sombra asked as he noticed Spike was missing. "Buck," he growled.

He glanced around and spotted some broken branches. He followed the baby dragon. He rushed forward when he finally spotted the dragon at the edge of a sea of blue flowers. "Wait, stop!" Spike cried out as Sombra put his hind legs to work, only to fall straight into the flowers.

"Sombra!" Spike cried out as the Dark King vanished into the flowers. "Sombra, are you okay?"

"Go away," said a very small voice. He glanced around but Spike couldn't see anypony.

"Sombra, this is poison joke. We need to get you to Zecora," Spike urged.

"Who is Zecora? Is she mean?" came the small voice. A white head popped up, with no horn to be seen.

"Sombra?" Spike asked as he tilted his head.

"Yes?" he said, his ears going flat against his head. "You're not mad, are you? am I not suppose to be in the flowers?" He had light blue eyes and a short straight white mane. The colt looked like a small ghost.

"Well getting out would be a good start. Poison joke can be bad for you. What to do what to do?"

"Spike and a colt, what is all this all about?" the zebra asked.

"Well, Zecora, allow me to introduce you to Sombra," Spike said as he introduced a much smaller Sombra. He suddenly shot back into the flowers.

“Not the Joke, oh that poor bloke,” she realized.

“Sombra, she can help us, you need to come out of the flowers." Spike told him.

“No,” he squeaked. Spike glanced Zecora.

"This is going to be so embarrassing," Spike frowned as he held his nose and leaped into the blue flowers, headfirst.

Fluttershy picked up her head when she heard knocking at the door. "Coming," she said in a sing song voice. She opened the door, only to see a massive reptile like eye staring at her. "Dragon!" she cried out in panic as she slammed the door shut.

"Fluttershy, it's me. I need you to deliver something to Twilight for me," said Spike as he towered over her house.

"Spike?" she asked in a very quiet voice.

"Poison joke," he said as she slowly moved to the window. "Zecora is working on the cure but can you take somepony to Twilight?"

"Who?" she asked in such a quiet voice he could hardly make it out.

"Um, King Sombra," he said. She snapped back into her house. He lowered his hand and showed the shaking pure white colt.

"Too high," he whimpered out as Spike slide him off his middle claw into the window. As the pure white colt slide in, shaking like a leaf, he covered his eyes and slid under the bed, gently bumping into Fluttershy.

"AHHHH!" they both screamed as they raced out from under the bed. The two raced around the room. Fluttershy stopped when she realized her voice was the only one. Sombra slammed into her front legs before falling to the ground. He looked up at her with big blue eyes.

"Oh my," she said as Sombra dashed back under her bed. She reached under and grabbed his short tail with her mouth and dragged him out from under the bed. "And who might you be, little guy?" she asked in a sweet voice.

"My name is, um, Sombra," he said as he glanced back at her from under his hooves. She glanced up and she looked at the window.

"Twilight!" Rainbow Dash screamed as she tackled the unicorn into the ground."Spike. Big. Outside of Ponyville!" she cried out in in between breaths.

"Well that explains all the screaming," Twilight said with a sidewards glance. "Has he destroyed anything yet?"

"Actually, no. He is laying down outside the Everfree Forest," Rainbow Dash said casually,

"Did you go investigate or try to talk to him?" Twilight asked.

"Um, no," she admitted.

"So everyone is in a panic over a Dragon that's just resting?" Twilight asked. "Let's go investigate this before the whole of Ponyville accidentally causes more damage than Spike," she said with a sigh, "The last thing we need is to destroy everything before our first day back is finished."

"Spike? What happened?" Twilight asked, looking up at the massive purple and green dragon.

"Oh my Spike, you have put on some weight. And here I was worried they wouldn't be feeding you," Rarity said.

"Well um, I followed King Sombra and he kind of fell into the poison joke, after I ran off," Spike explained.

"What? This i have got to see," Dash said as she burst out laughing.

"And let me guess? You went in after him?" Twilight asked as her eyes narrowed.

"I had to dive in after him. He wouldn't come out," Spike admitted.

"Why is that?" Twilight asked.

"You're gonna want to see this for yourself," Spike said, pointing at Fluttershy's cottage.

"This is going to be rich," Dash cackled, more then ready to see someone else on the receiving end.

"Well what goes around comes around. Twilight, why don't you go first?" Rarity urged.

"Hi, Twilight!" Pinkie said as she popped up over one of Spikes spines.

"Pinkie, when did you get here?"

"Where else would I be if I wanted to run around a massive dragon?" she asked.

"What in tar-nation? Why in the world is Spike super-sized again?" Applejack asked, walking up to the group. Pinkie Pie slide down off of Spike's back.

"Spike got into some poison joke," Pinkie Pie said and Applejack nodded.

"So where is Fluttershy?"

"Ten to one says she hiding under her bed," Rainbow Dash said offhandedly.

"-and this little hoof goes wee, wee, wee," came her voice as everyone turned to face the cottage. They quickly moved to the door as Twilight knocked. The door opened up from the force.

"Fluttershy?" Twilight asked. She was sitting on the floor with a pure white colt.

"Oh hi, Twilight," she said as the colt promptly vanished behind Fluttershy. "Say hi to Sombra," she introduced as she pushed him out from behind her. The colt had the most terrified look on his face and he quickly rushed back behind her. "Oh my," she said.

"Say what?" Twilight said, her voice dripping with disbelief. Nopony said a word, they just stared at each other.

"Is that possible? I mean poison joke can do some crazy things, but can it alter personalities?" Applejack asked. "And doesn't it take some time for it to take effect?"

"Sombra kind of trampled them. Zecora said if the flowers are threatened, they act faster. Since Sombra caused a lot of damage, she thinks they regressed him and stripped him of his magic." Spike said, paraphrasing the zebra's words.

"So he has no memories, no magical power, and is basically no treat whatsoever like this?" asked Rainbow Dash, "Well problem solved, let;s go home," Rainbow Dash said as she brushed her hooves together.

"I don't know, that seems kind of cruel," Twilight said. "Especially since we have the ability to turn him back," Twilight said, not too keen on the idea.

"What will happen to the colt?" Fluttershy asked, glancing back at the pure white pony.

"Spike I need you take. Wait, I need a quill. This is not going to be easy," Twilight said. Fluttershy pulled open a drawer, Sombra remaining attached to her rear leg. Twilight levitated both quill and parchment as she quickly wrote a note to the princess. Then she galloped outside. "Spike, stand still." she ordered as she climbed over her assistant. making her way to his mouth. "I need you to send this letter to Celestia," she ordered. Spike opened his mouth up and could easily eat her whole but instead loosed a jet of green flame that could easily fry a house.

"Twilight!" her freinds cried out.

"Bad idea!" Twilight kept repeating as she leaped out of the way, falling to the ground. Not even a minute later, Spike bleached out a scroll. Twilight grabbed it with her magic. "She is on her way." she said as she glanced to her friends.