• Published 6th Jan 2012
  • 2,318 Views, 40 Comments

Failure Isn't In Store For You - Kiernan



A human needs to get back home from Equestria

  • ...
10
 40
 2,318

Chapter 6: Into the Morn

Chapter 6: Into the Morn


Though the soft snoring of Fluttershy was a lullaby, the couch was more comfortable than the one he usually slept on, and he hadn't slept in about 20 hours, Nick just couldn't seem to get to sleep. His mind was aglow, trying to decipher what Zecora had said. Apparently, there were eleven of these small medallions scattered throughout Equestria, and the only lead to get him back home was to collect the other six, and four of them he didn't even know where was.

'Maybe the buffalo shaman will know more about it' he thought, and this calmed his mind a bit. He was still troubled, though, as the constant reminder, 'Maybe not' resounded. 'Curse this infernal pessimism!'

He rolled onto his side, tucking his right arm under his neck. 'I really should get some sleep, though. I doubt I'll get any on the train tomorrow.' A few moments passed before he let one of his eyes fall open. The scene before him was just as quaint as he remembered, albeit sideways. He could still make out an antique clock, a bookshelf, a fireplace, and what looked to be modern sculpture. Other than that, the rom was dark, illuminated solely by the light of Luna's moon, shining in through the kitchen doorway. 'Mayhap a short breath of fresh air, and a glass of water would help me sleep.'

Nick slowly stood up and walked to the kitchen. one of the floorboards creaked under his foot, and he stopped moving, for fear that he had awoken his most gracious host. After a few seconds, though, the quiet snoring continued, and Nick stepped into the kitchen, taking note of the floorboard so he could avoid it next time he came through. He opened the window, only a crack, and began rifling through the cupboards in search of a small glass. He found it right next to the sink, a convenient place to store them, he thought.

He drew some water from the faucet, making sure to remain as silent as possible. When it was full, he brought it up to his lips, sipping it lightly, in the stead of gulping it down loudly. His eyes wandered to the window, and he saw something that seemed a bit strange. 'What would a unicorn be doing out at this hour?' he wondered, setting down his glass on the counter. Closer inspection held that not only was this stallion out late, he was wearing a cape. Worse yet, he was headed right for the cottage.

Nick began to panic, then calmed himself. 'Maybe he's just out for a stroll into the Everfree?' Nick tried to remain optimistic, but that faded as the cape-clad stallion turned to walk over the bridge leading to the door. Nick quickly pulled out a chair from the table, and hid under the table, pulling the chair in behind him, and adjusting the tablecloth to hide properly. He heard the almost inaudible click of the lock, followed by muffled hoofsteps, and a loud creak.

"She really should have that looked at. This is the third time, now." said a light, quiet voice. Nick couldn't place it to any of the canonically shown ponies, so he assumed he didn't know it. He could see just a sliver under the tablecloth, and he watched as the hooves entered the kitchen. There was the sound of paper crinkling lightly, as the hooves stepped closer and closer. They came to rest at the edge of the tablecloth, then stopped. a soft chuckle could be heard, before, "I hope she got that trinket I sent her. If someone else got it, that would be devastating. Good thing it only reacts to her, specifically."

The hooves moved now, over to the open window. "I would have hoped she'd have learned her lesson by now," said the unicorn as the window latched shut. "And not taking care of dishes, tsk,tsk,tsk. I know she's busy, but does she really not have time to take care of the place?" said the voice, walking over to the sink. Running water could be hard, followed by the clink of glasses, and a cabinet door closing. A crinkling paper sound was heard once more, followed by the sound of a pen scribbling on something. It soon stopped, and the hooves walked away, out of sight. the floorboard creaked, some profanity was used, and the intruder left, as the lock on the door lock clicked back into place.

Nick waited a minute or two before moving out from under the table. The window was closed, his glass of water was no longer sitting on the counter, and on the table sat a scroll that read 'Fluttershy' in a fancy style of calligraphy. He wiped the sweat from his brow, only just realizing that it was there. He knew he hadn't been sweating before, it was actually a little cold inside the cottage, but not to the point where it was uncomfortable. 'mayhap I should just go lie back down...' thought Nick, making his way back over to the couch, making sure not to step on the loose floorboard, as he had before.

He sat down on the couch, standing back up almost immediately. He had sat on something, something that sounded like paper. In fact, on closer inspection, it was paper, and there was writing on it, but it was too difficult to read in this light. He moved back over by the kitchen door and read the note.

To Fluttershy's house guest,

Worry not, you're perfectly fine, as is your host. You see, I'm a friend of Fluttershy, and I wished to give her a message to come see me when she has the chance.

I want you to know, it was very enjoyable teasing you like I did. It was quite difficult to go through those motions without cracking up. If I offended you, I sincerely apologize, I meant no harm. It was all meant to be in good fun, save for delivering the letter. That was business. I saw you open the window on my way in, and thought, 'This could be more fun than I had originally intended.'

Speaking of which, I know what you are, and, if you want to get home, then I'm very sure that we'll meet again, very soon. And when that time rolls around, I'll have the pleasure of learning your name.

Well, the train for Apploosa departs in seven hours. I suggest you get some sleep. I've cast a spell on the pillow that should calm your mind enough for you to get it. I know it must be a bit difficult to believe, but, most of my spells are. Just roll with it, it's about as easy to understand as the meaning of life itself. But I'm rambling again. Go to bed, and when you get up, you'll feel completely reinvigorated. My gift to you.

~Akaitora, Thaumal Guardian.

Nick read through it twice, slowly the second time, to make sure he had read it right. He looked back at the pillow, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. Despite this, he lay his head down hesitantly, as if he were worried it would bite him, or some other ridiculous theory. However, the moment his head made contact with it, it emitted a pale blue light that seemed to melt away all the dread, worry, and doubt he had in his mind, leaving a serene feeling behind. He closed his eyes, and almost instantly fell asleep.

When he awoke, Fluttershy was walking toward him, concentrating very hard on her levitation spell, one of the basic spells, but still required quite a bit of attention to detail. Even though Fluttershy now had the ability to cast spells, and was learning faster than most, she was still learning. It took her by surprise when Nick yawned, and she dropped the tray she was carrying. However, she regained control of some of the items, and Nick was able to catch a few others, and yet, there was some that just crashed to the floor.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I'll clean this right up." said Fluttershy, placing the apple and a plate with a loaf of bread on the tray Nick had caught, and was now holding.

"I'll give you a hand," said Nick, setting the bundle of three carrots down next to the apple. "It's actually kinda my fault, anyway..."

"Oh, you don't have to. I wouldn't be a good host if I had my guests cleaning the place for me."

"And I would be a terrible guest if I just sat back and watched while you did all the work. It's no trouble, anyway. Besides, it would wrench my stomach if I ate while looking at food lying on the floor, and then there would be a bigger mess to clean up."

Fluttershy smiled and nodded, quite pleased at her guest's generosity. "Okay.the trash can's over there," she said, pointing to the corner. "I'll be right back with a damp rag." Fluttershy disappeared into the kitchen as Nick pulled the trash can over to the small mess on the wood floor. He was glad she didn't have carpeted floors, and that none of the food had spilled on the rug. That would have been hard to get out.

Fluttershy took less than a minute to return with the rag, but when she stepped back through the door, Nick had most of the mess cleaned up. Fluttershy was surprised at how fast he worked, but went right to work herself, cleaning the syrup and powdered sugar off of the wood floor. Meanwhile, Nick was placing the wastebasket back in the orner where it belonged. As he came back, he noticed the object he had thought was modern sculpture. It was actually just a poorly reconstructed table. He recognized the crusader's work immediately, letting out a silent chuckle.

"Well, now that we've that out of our way, I believe it's a good time to enjoy that spot of breakfast."