• Published 6th Jan 2012
  • 2,317 Views, 40 Comments

Failure Isn't In Store For You - Kiernan



A human needs to get back home from Equestria

  • ...
10
 40
 2,317

Chapter 1: A Rift Opens

Chapter 1: A Rift Opens


"And I expect you all to be on time next class" said Mr. Kaelborn as his students left the room. Nick was the last to leave his English class, a common occurrence for most, but strange considering it was the first day of the new semester. He enjoyed working until the bell, instead of packing up early, as was the norm for students his age. He always felt fatigued during the day, and he found that doing schoolwork served to keep his mind active.

"Don't worry, sir. I will." he said as he walked out the door with a wave. He hadn't been one of the several that had arrived tardy, in fact, he had arrived early. He believed that the earlier you arrived, the more likely it was that you could secure a good seat.

He looked at his schedule once more. His next class was... German. not very far away, simply at the other end of the hall. He began his short walk, pushing through the students leaving the hall. He understood that they had places to be, but there were doors leading out on both sides of the hall. Why couldn't they use the other ones? He decided not to trouble himself with it. He knew complaining wouldn't help matters...

At the end of the hall, he was greetied by the teacher of his German Class. "Guten Tag!"

"Guten Tag, Herr Fruher. Was Mittagessen haben Wir?" he asked, wondering what time they were to break for lunch.

"Erste Essen. Gehts." First lunch it was, so Nick turned around and headed back down the hallway, bound for the cafeteria. He rounded the corner, into the main hallway, when suddenly, out of nowhere, a Yellow flash burst out in front of him. He jumped, surprised at this development. He tried to call out, but his lungs betrayed him. he couldn't breathe. All time had seemed to stop around him, as none of the students moved, or turned to look. the only movement was the pale yellow light, which grew to engulf Nick. he felt a sharp pain in his chest as he disintegrated into dust: dust that seemed to be drawn into the light, dust that swirled around the light, dust that pulled away from him.

The pain grew in area, as more and more of him faded. it seemed to follow the movement of the dust he was turning into. He tried to shout out once more, but found he couldn't move his face at all. Not his lips, his eyes, or his ears. Slowly the light surrounded him, as the faded evermore into dust. when it was finished, he looked around, or what he thought was looking around. Nothing but grey space as far as the eye could see, if he was still looking through those.

He once more felt the sharp pain, but this time, the dust flew into him. he could slowly see his hands forming. He saw his watch, then his arms, and after what felt like thirty minutes, he felt himself whole again and dropped to the ground. Once more there was a sharp pain, but he attributed that to his fall, not the paranormal activity he had just experienced.

His ears rang. He could hear some muffled voices coming from all around them. He thought he recognized them, at least a little bit, but it was impossible to know where from at this moment. He opened his eyes, and light flooded in, making him quickly close his eyes again. He opened them again, slower this time, and could make out three blobs surroundin him two were purple, one yellow. they moved around a bit, and the voices continued. He decided that they were talking, judging by the small amount of movement that stayed with the voices. the yellow blob backed away, and he could start t make out what wa being said, albeit just bits and pieces.

"...Didn't mean to... What if... Finds out..." said the yellow blob,

"...just fine... accident... my fault... should have warned..." said the larger of the purple blurs.

"Hang on... think... alive..." said the small one.

All three didn't move or speak for a time, and when the large purple one spoke, he could hear clearly, and knew that he recognized the voice. Though he wasn't entirely sure about their identities yet, he could guess the other two and probably be correct.

"Are you alright" asked the voice of Twilight sparkle, obviously the larger purple figure.

"I think I'll manage." Nick said, pulling himself to his feet. "But if this is some sort of sick practical joke, I'm gonna---" he fell sideways onto a nearby bookshelf. His vision blurred once more, and his hearing faded back out.

He awoke three hours later, according to his watch, or maybe it was fifteen. It was dark all around him, so it very well could have been two in the morning. he got up from the bed he had found himself in, and stumbled across the floor. He found the wall, and began feeling around on it, looking for a light switch. To make a long story short, he didn't find one.

Not wanting to try to find the bed again, having woken up in a strange place, he simply slid down the wall and leaned up against it.He rubbed his shoulder, having hit it against the bookshelf earlier, and tried to make out some shapes among the darkness. He could barely see the shape of a rectangle, but that was all. He decided to just sit and wait for whatever was going to happen.

Roughly five minutes passed, and a cloud moved out of the way of the moon. A dark blue light engulfed the room, making its content visible. The rectangle turned out to be a dresser, and his bed was over by the opposite wall. other than that, the room was empty. He saw the door out b the dresser, and walked over to it. Hesitantly, he reached out a hand to open the door. The handle turned slowly,and the door creaked open.

It lead out into a hall, at the end of which was a staircase leading down. A light flickered at the bottom, so Nick decided to investigate it, and mayhap get a handle on the situation as well. He stepped down the stairs, a purple unicorn slowly coming into view as he descended. She turned, and a look of excitement, curiosity, and worry was splayed across her face.

"Oh, you're awake! Are you alright? I have so many questions!" she said, rushing over to him

"I have some questions of my own, if that's alright, Twilight..." Nick said, rubbing his eyes.

Twilight gasped. "Wow, sentient and able to read minds! We could learn so much from you!"

"Yeah, let's go with that..." said Nick, sitting down against the wall.