• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 759 Views, 8 Comments

Salt and Sun - VanishingAct



I, Maximillian Moorcroft, have become a brown unicorn with blonde hair. I am okay with this.

  • ...
0
 8
 759

Existential Cri- Nope, False Alarm

"...Well, time to see if I can walk." I said.

I fumbled with the covers for a while before Jiles pulled them away. I geared myself up and rolled over so that I would land on my feet, and surprisingly enough, I did without landing flat on my face.

"...That was easy." I said with my new voice. It seemed a lot more musical and slightly higher pitch. My accent had changed as well, so I sounded more like a citizen of Canterlot. It wasn't as if I didn't like it, nor that I preferred it. It was different, but still good.

"...Maxie, are you alright?" Jiles snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah. Time to see if I can walk. How hard can it be?"

Answer? Not very. Left with both feet, right with both feet. If you imagine the back legs being similar to an upturned arm, it makes things a lot simpler.

"Alright then. Jiles, let's go to the kitchen. I need my cereal."

"As you wish." and with that, we left the guest room we were currently in.


It should be noted, when dealing with stairs as a pony, one must always be careful and prepare themselves. Failure to do so can cause you to slip and it will hurt. A lot.

Seriously, I've warned you about stairs.

After recovering from my own fall with the help of Jiles, we both walked off to the kitchen. At the door we both heard a call, a loud, deep, accented bellow.

"Yer up an' early, eh Maxie? What'll it be, th' regular two bowls or three?"

"No thanks Flaherty," Flaherty, the Welsh guy, that's his name! "Methinks we're gonna need four bowls..."

"Four bowls?! Seriously, what we're ye drinkin' last night to warrant four bowls?!"

Explanations were due. "See, it's not what I was drinking last night, but what happened afterwards...". I walked through the door in to the kitchen to let Flaherty look at my all new pony form.

"...Yup, that's a four-bowler." He replied with a whistle. He began to pour the Cheerios into their respective bowls while I, after a brief struggle, managed to sit myself down on one of the chairs.

And now a problem was presented to me. There are Cheerios in a bowl, I have a spoon but no hands to use it with. What do I do?

Option 1: Forgo the spoon entirely and dig in with my face. While this would prove effective and efficient, it certaainly would not be dignified.

Option 2: There was no option 2.

So I went back to the drawing board. How would a pony do it? Well obviously unicorns would-

I'm a unicorn! Of course! I can just use magic!

And then I had a second problem, how do I magic? Well, most magic systems tend to rely on concentration so...

I focussed long and hard on the spoon in front of me and projected a mental image of the spoon rising and lo! The spoon was enveloped in a chocolate glow and was now levitating in front of me. It was a logical assumption that the spoon would do as I imagined, so I thought of it going into the bowl and it, slowly and slightly wobbly, went in.

And lift!

It did, taking with it... two Cheerios.

This will take some time... I thought as I made the spoon come to me so that I could eat.

It was then I heard the characteristic cough that could only come from Jiles, which normally signalled that he wanted to talk to me.

"Yes, Jiles?"

"I need to vacate the house and make sure that everything is in order. May I be so permitted?" He let out with a slight sigh. I know the feeling; 'vacate the house' was codespeak for make all the people who stayed overnight GTFO.

"You may." I said curtly, attempting to concentrate on the next spoonful as I heard Jiles' soft footfalls as he left the room.


Master Maxie isn't your regular sort of person, or should I say pony now? There are quite a few circumstances which led to this, one of which being his large amount of wealth generated through his father's chemical engineering company. That's only part of the story though.

He is extremely self concious, not allowing anyone to point out his downfalls, downplaying them as much as he can and where possible not mentioning them altogether. If he told you that he found it easy to stand and walk, he's lying.

Anyway, my job now was to make all those who stayed overnight to leave, and thus I first went into Maxie's room, which had been occupied by two ladies.

I rapped thrice on the door and waited for response. When it didn't come I opened the door to find that the couple had already left, and they had made the bed as well. At least that was less work for the Whittaker twins.

His room seemed in reasonable order, nothing was missing, all was well. I left and made my way to the other rooms, musing to myself about the circumstances that we were in now.

"This is international news, and all those affected are congregating to New York, so by logical process, that means that Maxie is soon going to be wanting to book a flight. I could book early but... no, I'll wait until Maxie wants to, and then we'll go."

I made my way towards each bedroom in turn, asking kindly for people to leave. And if they didn't well... let's say that I had to 'eject' them from the property. I wonder when the day will come that I finally tire of dealing with Maxie and his parties and these ruffians, but no, I must stay with Maxie, especially since his...

I'm sorry, where was I? Ah yes. I'd finished with all of the eight bedrooms and now returned to the kitchen where I'd expected to find him, but in his place I found the portly form of William Flaherty.

"He's gone back t'his room, 'e has." said he curtly.

"Alright then." And I went to leave.

"Richard?"

But I then stopped in my tracks as I heard William's voice returning. Without turning around I answered.

"Yes?"

"When are we gonna tell 'im? He keeps talkin' about 'im and I just..."

"Soon." I wiped my brow at the issue in hand, about what William, the Whittaker twins and myself knew, and what Maxie didn't. "Not now, but soon."

I left.


"Come on, where am I?!"

My rage was directed at my computer, the internet, background ponies and the fandom in general. I'd been searching for at least fifteen minutes now to try and find a background pony that matched myself to no avail. It didn't help matters that I had to relearn how to use a mouse and keyboard with magic. Always use a pen on the keyboard, never try to magic it directly.

I was furiously searching left and right, looking in all sorts of directories on all the main wikis. Searching through stallions got me no dice, and I wasn't in anything that said unicorns either.

"Darn it, why do I have to be so obscure?!"

It was then I saw a category that caught my attention.

"Canterlot ponies, eh?"

I clicked on it and found all the usual guys. Caesar, Lyrica and the rest of them. It took a page turn but I finally found him, or should I say me? A chocolate brown stallion with light blue eyes, a long horn, straw coloured mane and a sun for a cutie mark. And I managed to find my new pony form's name at last.

I heard footsteps come up the stairs before three sharp knocks at the door.

"Come in, Jiles."

He entered and before he let himself speak I showed him my monitor.

"Look Jiles, I am Chocolate Sun.".