• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 2,880 Views, 41 Comments

Out of my Element - TheLostwriter



When an explorer from outside the pony-verse arrives he throws off the balance of chaos and order.

  • ...
13
 41
 2,880

Along the Terminus between Life, Death and the Unknown

Out of My Element

Chapter 17: Along the Terminus between Life, Death and the Unknown

As I pulled my sleeping mind awake I remembered my folks funeral. It wasn't that unusual for me to have buried memories return as I broke the barrier between sleep and waking, but why that one? I had no idea. Usually something I've been dealing with triggers the memory, but I hadn't thought about that night in a long time. It had been seven years since then and I had thought I had put it further behind me. I wonder why it came up now. Oh well, I thought, as I tossed the sheets off.

I stretched as I woke up fully finding myself in a large extravagantly decorated bedroom. The sheets were silk or at least felt like silk and the bed was an intricately carved four poster. It looked like what I had pictured as a guest room in one of the European royal houses. I rolled out of bed and found a platter on a nearby table. The silver tray held a wide variety of fruits and jams. It also had a few biscuits as well; at least I thought they were biscuits.

I tried to break open the biscuit, with no luck. I also tried to use the knife to spread the jam with a similar result. I ended up just dipping the biscuit in the jam, it was easier and more effective than the other two methods. While I was eating I heard the room's door open. I glanced over and saw a dark gray head look in. I smiled and said, "Morning." I then thought aloud, "where am I?"

"You're in one of the guest rooms in Canterlot Castle," he said somewhat suspiciously. "Royal decree is that you cannot leave this room until Celestia comes by."

At the mention of the princess’s name I began to shiver and sweat. I don't know why, but the thought of the princess terrified me. I nodded my head with an uneven spasm due to the shivers. The pony at the door smiled and left pulling the door shut behind him. I slowly began to relax and returned to eating but every noise I heard made me jump.

Eventually I finished eating and wandered over to a window that overlooked the garden. My mind was still puzzling about why I had a reaction to Celestia's name. From the window I could see the bushes from last night. They were huge and they formed a massive labyrinth in the center of the garden. I followed the outside of the maze with my eyes and eventually found the statue of Discord. As soon as I recognized the landscape around the statue I began to remember last night. Suddenly my vision flashed white and I froze, pain encased my body and I couldn't move.

Then I was pulled back into my own past, I realized when I was as soon as the memory began to play. It was the night of my parents car wreck. I was watching television in the front room and heard a terrible noise. Metal on metal and the heavy bass note of an impact followed by the noise of electricity arcing as the power went out. I ran to the front door and looked out into the front yard to find my parents SUV resting upside down surrounded by downed power lines. Then the memories began to fade.

I don't know how long it took but when the pain ceased I found myself on the floor. It's cold stones cooling my burning muscles as I struggled to catch my breath. What the hell. What happened last night and why am I remembering that now, I thought to myself. I did my best not to think of my parents but that was like being told not to think about pink elephants on parade.
I sighed and walked through last night in my head. No matter how hard I tried to remember the previous evening was a blank. Well not the entire evening. I remembered arriving in the garden, meeting Celestia by the statue. The statue talking, Luna showed up, and then nothing but blank spaces. I knew Logia was mad at me but I didn't know why. This whole thing had given me a headache and now this morning was beginning to feel like a bad hangover.

I climbed to my feet and slowly blinked trying to clear my head. What the hell happened last night, I thought for the second time. I walked over to the bed, the clipping noise made by my hoof falls on the stone floor only made headache worse. Once I reached it I climbed in and buried my head under the pillows, my eyes pinched shut as tight as a could get them. God my head hurt, my eyes pulsed with each heartbeat and I was afraid that they would pulse out of their sockets. I'm not sure how long I kept myself bundled under but at some point my silent refuge was invaded by the squeak of the door opening.

"Steel," I heard Celestia's voice call my name and involuntarily lifted my head from the pillows.

The best I could do was whimper, no that's a lie, the best I could do was a failed attempt to fall off the bed and crawl under it. With some effort I was able to loosen my limbs enough to move and slid off the bed. When I looked up at her I went blind again, and with the whiteout the pain returned. When the pain died and I was able to feel my surroundings again I felt the stone floor on my face.

"Steel," she said my name again and I opened my eyes to look at her.

Pain again along with the flash of white light but this time it was different. Everything was still there but it was detached somewhat. The blinding white was a tad grayer this time and I could see shadow like movements in it that turned into a tumbling truck. It was night and I had just dropped my cell phone to the ground.

"Mom, Dad can you hear me," I hollered towards them. On the other side of the road was a totaled pickup truck and it's upturned trailer full of now screaming calves.

"Steel, calm down get a hold of yourself," I heard the voice in my mind, but It also had a source and I recognized the feelings that came with the thought. I turned to find myself looking at myself, sort of. It was me but not and somehow I knew this was one of the voices that lived in my head. In my gut I knew it was the more rational voice not the lust crazed maniac.
I waited for the maniac to comment, and after what seemed like to long I asked, "Where is the other guy? Shouldn't he have said something by now?"

"He's gone; he was taken away last night."

"What, how did that happened? I can't remember a thing. How can you?" I asked. Looking around I realized the memory was gone. It had been replaced by the gray-white haze that this had started with. I could feel the distant pain as it washed over me like wave in a memory.

"I don't know. I remember watching as you woke up and then collapsed again."

"I don't remember waking up; I don't even remember how I got here. While we’re at it why am I remembering that night!"

"I don't know, I just live here I don't do maintenance. The last thing I remember prior to waking here was Luna and Celestia arguing with Discord in the garden and you were tied up."
"I was tied up, why?" I asked. God I was confused, and somehow both mine and the other me’s bodies were back to being ponies.

He smiled with a broken face and said, "You said some things that were rather out of character. Then you also tried to snuggle with Luna's left flank."

I suddenly found memories of that night floating back into my mind. They were distant and clouded like they weren't mine but were from my perspective. Even with them I couldn't remember the night. I could only remember now watching them like a movie.

"Steel, are you alright?" I heard Celestia ask from outside. Her voice was distorted like I was hearing it through water.

The pain and white blocking out my vision began to fade. I realized as my vision returned that I was staring at the floor under the corner wardrobe. Somehow I had moved across the room and I was facing the wall. "What," I muttered as I pried my head off the floor. I looked around for a moment and my eyes fell on Celestia. Her face was filled with concern as it was swallowed by the white fog that filled my vision along with the debilitating pain. This time I fought to stay in the fog and not let my mind pull me back in to past memories.

I would avoid looking at her from now on, said the voice in my mind.

Really, I hadn't put the two together. It probably would have taken me a dozen more glances to figure that out, I replied with as much sarcasm as I could.

Through the haze I heard Celestia say, "I'm going to go get a doctor, just stay calm."

I heard the door pull shut as the fog across my eyes faded. I climbed to my feet and walked over to the table that had held the food. On the platter was a silver pitcher coated in condensation, inside that was iced apple juice. I drank the entire pitcher. As I did I felt trickles of cool juice run down my neck. It was relaxing almost therapeutic. After finishing the drink I walked over to a bare spot on the stone wall in between two tapestries and leaned against the stone.
My nerves were still on end but I was calming down. I had finally convinced my body to stop shaking when I heard the door open. I quickly moved forward hiding myself behind one of the wall hangings.

"Hello," asked a voice I didn't recognize.

I slowly stuck my head out and glanced around the room. The new comer was an olive drab earth pony with a short gray mane; his mark was a red cross.
He smiled when he saw me and said, "Howdy, you must be Steel. Shamrock T. Potter my name."

I felt a small smile lift my lips as I asked, "really," with a laugh.

"That is, I was a Colonel in the Equestrian Expeditionary force, ran a mobile army hospital, retired and opened up a practice here in the capital."

I could feel my skepticism reach my eyebrows. "Right, this has to be a dream."

The doc smiled and said, "If this is a dream, I've been told you're living a nightmare. Now get your keister over here and let figure out what's wrong with you."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight shook her head as she said, "Spike you have to have been dreaming, Celestia would have sent a letter if that was the case."

"But she did. You weren't yourself last night and now you are. You changed back after he came by, don't you remember," asked the little dragon. His voice was half concern, half panic as he tried to explain the events of the past night to an oblivious Twilight. As he spoke he was re-shelving books that she had left out during her manic study session the night previous.
"Spike," she said with a warm smile, "we've all been under stress lately and I know I haven't been paying that much attention to you..."

She was interrupted by the sound of Applejack yelling her name. The farm pony barged in through the front door. As soon as she was through the door she quickly scanned the room found Twilight and began to speak. "He's free; he came by the farm and did something' to me."

Twilight looked at her friend suspiciously and asked, "You don't mean Discord."

"Sure as shootin', that's who."

"I told you so," grumbled Spike.

"He was here," asked AJ, "what he do?"

Spike answered, "Twilight was in a full blown study secession ignoring everything else. Celestia sent a letter asking about how she was behaving, Twilight ignored it, I answered it. Then Discord showed up and Twilight ignored him. Then he touched her head and she fell asleep, and he made my mouth disappear for a few hours."

"Spike," snapped Twilight.

"Don't feel bad you two that sounds just like what happened out at the farm. Have you written Celestia about this?"

"She didn't want to, she told me that it was just a dream,” Spike continued grumbling.
Applejack sighed and rubbed her forehead. "I wonder if all of us were visited by him."

"AJ I'm still not convinced that we didn't just share a dream again," replied Twilight with a weak smile.

Applejack looked at her friend with a flat face, "If that's so why can Spike an' my family remember him?"

"Well the dreams were affecting us because we're the Elements, they spend their time around us so the effect could be contagious." Twilight still held onto her week smile even though she knew her explanation was wrong. Why hasn't Celestia told me, she asked herself.

Soon Rarity and Fluttershy arrived with similar stories to Aj's. Then when Pinkie arrived with a cotton candy cloud it put the nail in any other explanation Twilight had. She finally voiced the major concern to her friends, "Why hasn't Celestia told me that he escaped."

"Could something have happened to her," asked Fluttershy.

"I don't know but the Elements are in Canterlot. Either way we'll need to go there," said Twilight as she telekinetically grabbed a blank scroll. As she began to write she asked,
"Fluttershy can you go get Rainbow Dash, and Rarity can you go down to the lab and let Steel know what's going on?"

The two ponies headed towards their destinations as Twilight gave Spike the scroll to send out to Celestia. She sat down and looked at the two friends that remained and asked, "What are we going to do girls?"

"We do what we've always done, somehow we will win," answered Applejack.

Twilight gave a true smile at this and began to announce her plan but was interrupted by Rarity returning from the lab.

"He's gone," she said as soon as the blue teleportation energy faded away. "Jack told me that he woke up last night acting strange. He somehow sent Logia running away in tears, then he teleported to the Canterlot Gardens."

Twilight's smile fell as she thought, Could he have caused this. As soon as the thought passed through her head she heard Spikes belch that signaled Celestia's reply. Before he was able to unroll the scroll Twilight had already ripped it from his hands and had begun to read aloud.

"My faithful student, I fear there is more to discuss than can be expressed in a letter. That is why I request you and your friends join me in Canterlot this afternoon. If you have discovered that Steel is missing don't worry he is already here. I will explain more when you arrive." Twilight let the scroll fall to the ground as she processed what she had read, and then emphatically asked, "What is going on?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luna walked past her sister into Steels room as the doctor came out. She could hear the conversation between Celestia and the doctor start as she closed the door behind her. "Steel," she said softly, "The doctor wanted me to come in and talk to you."

She scanned the room and eventually found him huddled in a corner, facing away from the door. His gray coat blended with the stone wall and his eyes were pinched shut. "Steel, the doctor wants’ to know if you have a similar issue when you look at me."

His shaking stopped and he licked his lips but his eyes remained closed as he started to speak."Luna, princess I don't remember much from last night. I know I did and said some things that are... Well I'm sorry, I wasn't myself."

"I forgive you and my sister forgives you, now can you look at me?"

"I can't, I'm sorry. Every time I looked at your sister I wound up in a pile on the floor. It took her leaving before I was able to stand back up." As he spoke his body began to shake, "can't you see what the thought of your sister does to me."

"Steel relax, right now this test is the only thing keeping me from resting. I have plenty of time," she said with a smile.

"Why," he asked almost in a whine, "why are you all paying this much attention to me. You're all so nice to me, heck my second day here I met the six heroes of the country and the two rulers. I'm not from here, I show up out of nowhere get wrapped up in this mess, this doesn't make any sense."

Luna laughed, he was pointing out several things that she herself had discussed with her sister. "You're right. In all honesty if it hadn't been for the relationship between Celestia and Star Swirl you most likely be in some form of protective custody, far away from here and under study.

When I heard about your arrival I was intrigued, but I had never heard the truth about Star Swirl. So I viewed you as a possible threat." She swallowed, "I have a unique perspective on the necessary requirements for security of this country. I was in my own form of protective custody for a thousand years." She said the last part with an ironic smile.

When she looked at him, she saw that the shakes had left him and he appeared to be more relaxed. On a closer inspection he was slightly mouthing words, and between instances of this would shift his body between two stances. The princess pinched her brows and shook her head, "Steel have you been paying attention to what I've been saying."

"What? Yes, yes, yes," his voice trailed off and his lips moved silently for a few more sentences. Then he pointed his face at her and slowly opened one red and puffy eye, then the other. He sighed and said, "I guess you're not a problem," with a weak smile.

Luna returned his smile and said, "That’s good. Now I have some questions. First what do you remember from last night?"

Steel was quiet for a moment then asked, "When do you want me to start? I mean I remember flashes of a dream from last night before all this started."

She nodded as he talked and said, "Yes that is what I have been told. My sister said the wards had been broken. However I am more curious about after you woke up specifically in the garden."

"Well," he paused, his bloodshot eyes shifting to look towards the ceiling. "I asked Jack to send me to the garden because I knew I needed to find Celestia and tell her about the dreams. Showing up in the garden let me bypass the security and I knew Twilight had given him high detail survey of the area, or at least enough to get me there. I remember showing up, hearing Celestia," he winced as he said her name. "I remember hearing your sister and walking around a corner to see her talking to a statue. It all gets hazy after that, I know I said some things, some highly inappropriate things. I remember," he looked at her and blushed, "some other things, along with getting tied up. Then if I try to remember anything further it's just white flashes and pain. Then I remember something like a dream with the statue, but free from the statue visiting me and poking me in the head. After that I woke up this morning."

"You saw Discord in a dream," she said as she felt the worry lines form on her forehead.

"This is not good. I visited the gardens after getting you settled and he wouldn't speak to me."

He nodded as Luna spoke and once she was done said, "My knowledge of Equestrian history is limited to an afternoon long crash course given by Twilight about four months ago. So pardon my ignorance but this Discord, he's what exactly? A dictator, an anarchist, what?"

"A little of both and neither, he is an enigma," she answered. "According to some more recent philosophers, Equestria created him and his actions created my sister and I," she sighed and shook her head as she said this.

"You don't believe it?"

"I don't, it's all to clean. From the history we have compiled he was here before any of my memories." Her smile fell as she said, "I don't know the truth but I doubt that is it."

The door creaked as it opened and Steel pinched his eyes shut. Luna turned to see who it was as the doctor announced, "Princess Luna your sister would like to see you."

She nodded her reply and then said to Steel, "I will talk to my sister and convey your apology for your behavior last night." She could see he was still nervous and was back to his silent mumbling. She then shook her head and then said to the doctor in a low voice, "He didn't have any problems with me." She glanced back over her shoulder then back to the doctor, "watch over him, I'll be back shortly."

The doctor met her eyes and replied, "Yes ma'am, don't you worry. Nothing will happen so long as I'm around."

Luna quickly left the room deep in thought. She needed to find her sister, Discord might be loose and the Elements would be of no use with the bearers distracted as they were. Then there was Steel whatever was wrong with him wasn't just what that nightmarish beast had caused. Her sister had broken something trying to cleanse his mind and now he had to be watched. She didn't even want to think what would happen if the citizenry ever found out what Celestia had done.

She was in such a hurry that she hadn't registered seeing her sister standing beside a bust in the hallway. It wasn't until she had already past that her thoughts slowed down enough for her mind to process the sensory inputs. "Sister," she said with a slight jump, "what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be holding court?"

"I postponed the day’s schedule," Celestia replied. Then she inhaled a deep breath before continuing, "Twilight and her friends will be here this afternoon and we will need to speak with them. I do not wish for the populace to be alarmed so I'm keeping as many away as I can."
Luna pondered her sister’s statement for a moment. Then in a soft but firm and accusatory voice said, "You didn't?"

Celestia's reaction to the question was so quick and minute that only her sister would have noticed.

"You did, you let him go," hissed Luna, "what were you thinking?"

"I was thinking that since I have been leading this country for millennium I should make use of every resource at my disposal to maintain its existence," Celestia snapped. "I was thinking that I as the eldest sovereign could make a decision on my own, or must I now have all my decisions second guessed?"

Luna was wide eyed as she looked around the hall, there was no one nearby. Just imagine if somepony overheard this, she thought as she turned back towards her sister. Despite Celestia's harsh words and her rock solid stance Luna could see through the small chinks in her sister’s armor. She hadn't changed that much in her centuries of solitary rule.

Luna wore a sad smile as she walked over to her sister and gave her a neck hug similar to the one she herself had received not that long ago. "Sister," she began still in a hug, "I'm not questioning you. I'm concerned for you. While I've been hiding from the feelings of Nightmare you've had your own burdens that I haven't been there to help with. All the while you have helped everyone else."

Luna drew herself back and she felt her guilt drying her throat as she looked over Celestia. She hadn't had any of these dreams that everyone else had. She had no idea what the invading creature was but she knew that the dreams changed everyone.

When she looked at her sister she could feel the guilt move from her now dry mouth to the corners of her mouth and eyes. The little twitches of movement as her feelings fought her mind for facial control. Everything must have been plain on her face because as she watched her sister she saw a transformation occur. Celestia seemed to slip out of the royal way she held herself. Everything that undoubtedly made her the Princess of the Sun fell away and all what was left was the pony. Her eyes filled up with tears and the water sat on her eyelids waiting for the dam to break.

Luna quickly glanced around and grabbed her sister, then dragged her into a nearby room. "Sister," she started but didn't know where to go. All she could do was comfort her as she wept. It was unnerving for her to see Celestia in this state. She had always been a rock, the stalwart defender of the land. Now the dreams had come close to breaking who she was, just like all the others. Luna swallowed tiring to irrigate her throat. She was terrified, not of any creature or being that might haunt dreams. Not of a world with a free Nightmare and Discord. Not of the grim world presented in her sisters dreams. No, none of those frightened her in the least. The idea that terrified her to her soul was that her sister's mind was breaking and that she herself might have to lead the nation alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight had never been in this part of the castle grounds before. Well that's not completely true these tunnels were carved by the crystal miners of early Equestria. Since the castle's grounds were built nearby it made sense for some to be re-purposed. While not directly part of this tunnel system, it was close enough to the one she and Cadance had escaped during the Changeling incident. She shivered remembering that series of events always disturbed her.
She looked over her shoulder at her friends following her, and then back to one of Luna's guards that was leading them down the tunnel. They had traveled in silence for several minutes.That was an unusual, she though, especially with Pinkie back there. They all had been a little disturbed by Discords release and the hazy memories of last night’s dream. Pinkie just showed it in silence.

Eventually the guard stopped and opened a dark metal door that swung open silently. Twilight scanned the doors enchantments as she passed. It was dense and had a locking spell that required a mental key to open. It was an impressive spell strong, powerful, old and she had already figured out how to improve it. The room they entered brought a gasp of astonishment from each pony as they entered.

They were on a small wood landing in what looked like a two story rectangular room. To their right a flight of stairs led down to the floor. In the center of the room was a large oval shaped table and in the center of that a very detailed cloth map of Equestria, on the two longer walls hung several other maps of varying scales and ages.

In between the maps hung banners, and below those were suits of armor. Twilight recognized some as Rainbow whistled and said, "Those are some of the old General banners. Oh, and that's, that's Hurricane's armor isn't it!" Dash almost shouted the last part as she flew down to inspect the one furthest from the stairs.

On the far wall hung three large banners covering almost the entire wall, the three wore the emblems of the ancient tribes. As Twilight walked down the stairs she could feel the history of this room. With every glance she saw something that brought a flood historical knowledge. The artifacts in this space were priceless; it amazed her that they weren't in a museum. Once she reached the bottom of the stairs she turned to examine the last wall opposite the three banners and her heart stopped. On the last wall hung the first flag of Equestria, it had to be. With all the other historical items it would have to be.

Twilight looked around, her mind overwhelmed by the history in front of her. This was just like the war room in the old ancient castle. Hadn't that been destroyed though, she asked herself.

"Thank you for coming Twilight," said Celestia.

Twilight jumped and she heard her friends do the same as she looked for the princess. She was sitting beside the table her usual billowing ethereal mane was subdued. It hung down to the floor calm and peaceful but without that constant movement she seemed less than what she truly was. Twilight inhaled sharply when her eyes fell onto her mentor then she quickly asked, "Princess what's wrong?"

"She has been affected by the dreams as much as the rest of you," announced Luna from the top of the stairs. She was still just as regal as he had always been. "I picked this room because it is a room lost to history that I rediscovered not that long ago. I ask you to be careful according to my sister these are the artifacts they appear to be." She began to walk down the stairs as she continued to speak, "I know you came here expecting to discuss things with my sister. I'm sorry for this but she's not in the best of states at the moment." Luna's eyes met Celestia's, "They all need to know. If we are going to fight this creature from your dreams everyone involved needs to know the truth."

Celestia looked around the room, her expression showed regret as she met the ponies eye's in silence. Then Twilight stepped forward concern covered her face as she repeated, "Princess what's wrong?"

She started to answer her student when Luna interrupted her by saying, "Forgive me Twilight but I must ask you and your friends to be patient. Do you all know what this room is?"
The Princess of the Sun closed her eyes and relaxed as her sister took charge. She knew Luna was correct and in a short time she would have to explain why she had let Discord free and the events that led her to that decision. The cool air of the room helped to ease her mind as she mentally performed the discussion in her mind attempting to cover every question.

"This room," said Luna breaking the silence "is the war room. The location has changed several times over Equestria's history; it is always in the greatest fortress of the time. It has existed since before Celestia and I arrived as has one tradition that I have always found interesting. In this room there is no rank or title everyone is equal." Luna had taken her seat beside her sister at the table and continued to speak, "As for what my sister has to say, it's up to her when she wants to start but I feel that Steel must be here for part of it. I think it would be best for both of them."

"Oh," said Twilight as she looked at her mentor with worried eyes. An awkward silence filled the room as she moved slowly around the table stopping beside Celestia. She looked up into the saddened eyes of her teacher and for the first time Twilight felt true undiluted fear. No matter the opponent or disaster she had faced the fact that Celestia stood strong behind her had always dulled the fear in her heart.

The silence that filled the room brought with it a blanket of smothering emotions. However in this flood of undesired feelings Luna was a solid column that helped support the enormous burden on her sister's shoulders. Eventually Luna sighed and said, "I feel that this should begin soon or the weight in this room will crush our spirits." As she continued she spoke slowly picking her words carefully, "the events that have lead to Discords release are as much my fault as my sisters. While you all were having nightmares brought on by the extra-dimensional beast, I was panicking. I felt the entity that had turned me into Nightmare Moon was coalescing, as I can feel it now. I know where it is in general, somewhere far to the south. I know that it was responsible for the attack on the ancient castle expedition." Luna's eyes never wavered as she met the eyes of each pony gathered. Her voice maintained it's slow rhythm and even tone as she spoke. "Because of my fear I wasn't able to help or see my sister as she fell."

Celestia turned and embraced her sister; tears welling up in her eyes began to fall. "It's not your fault Luna," she said softly in her sister’s ear.

"That's right if it's anyone's fault it's Jack's and mine," announced Steel as he made his presence known.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logia woke in the lobby of the Ponyville Hospital. Her body was sore and she felt as disheveled as her window reflection looked. She let out a yawn as the impulse to stretch took hold of her body, then standing up she noticed the blanket, that wasn't there when she fell asleep, fall off her body. Looking around the lobby she saw no one. She moved quickly to the lobby restroom to tame her sleep crazed mane.

One in the restroom she stood looking herself over in the mirror. She used her magic along with some water from the sink to straighten up her appearance. What am I doing, she thought as she examined her attempt to clean herself up. She felt tired, and she probably would have been even if she hadden't fallen asleep at the hospital. Just thinking about the events of the previous night brought more tears to her already tear stained face. The memory of Steels eyes, swarming with black segmented worms, sent chills down her spine and twisted her gut bringing on dry heaves.

She knew his behavior since waking was because of those things; at least she was confident beyond a doubt. But why had I run, she puzzled. It wasn't like her, if it had been anyone else, she would have cleaned the floor with them. Knowing that something was wrong with him she should have bound and gagged him, then called for help. Who would I have called, was her next mental question. Everypony I know in this town is either a Dressage member or was probably affected in the same way that he was.

She cursed herself vocally this time, but quickly cut herself off when she heard a whimper from the farthest stall. Immediately she silenced the noise she was making and then walked over towards the last stall. The noises she heard sounded young, sad, and frightened.

"Hello," she said in an almost whisper.

There was no reply, the crying stopped and the room was filled with silence.

Logia stood there for a moment and then in the same almost whisper asked, "Are you alright?"

There was no reply and this caused Logia to sigh heavily before turning to leave. Right when she reached the door out she heard the stall door slowly swing open. Turning around she saw a little purple unicorn filly walk out. Their eyes met and Logia put on her warmest smile.

"Who are you then," she asked.

The little one gave a weak smile and said, "My names Dinkie, my sister's sick."

Logias expression shifted to a slight frown but quickly recovered as she said, "come on let’s walk around and talk," as she held open the door. As she walked out the door with the little filly she wondered just where Steel had ended up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stared at the intersection of the wall and stairs as I walked down into the room for fear that I would once again lock up once my eyes fell on Celestia. It was awkward not to look at anyone but the desire to not fall down a floor kept my eyes from wandering. Once on the floor I continued to keep my eyes on the ground refusing to look up. I didn't know why I was here other than my connection to the approaching beast.

"Steel," started Rarity, "I would love to know what you find so fascinating on the floor that it distracts you from the rest of the room."

"Yeah, sugar-cube what's wrong? I don't think I've ever seen you like this," added Applejack

I smiled slightly and answered, "I'm having some issues with pain when looking at."

Celestia let out a rough sigh but said nothing more, but it was enough to pull my attention. Curse being taught the socially proper way of listening. For a moment when my eyes landed on the princess nothing happened, she didn't look like the regal, elegant, and powerful deity that I had seen before. She looked weak and vulnerable but mostly saddened. Then I felt the mental block of white light and pain building, only to suddenly go completely blind, I could see nothing only blackness. The unconscious tension in my body flowed out as my muscles relaxed, and I felt a smile spread across my face.

"Luna what are you doing to Steel," I heard Twilight ask.

"Be patient all will be explained shortly and it will be best if it's not rushed," replied The Princess of the Night.

I felt someone lead me to the table where I sat and waited. This whole thing was bothering me why had Luna invited me here. I was out of ideas for battling this thing and everything else in this world had no connection to me. I waited in silence and eventually Celestia began to speak. Her voice didn't belong to the monarch, but it fit with the being that I had glimpsed.

"As you all know I have the ability to visit others dreams. I'm not the only one that can. My sister has this ability as do some other gifted beings. This ability is an old magic far older than my memories, as is another dream walker. The Princesses voice had started shaken but her voice steadily grew strong as she spoke. "Discord has been growing in strength ever since Steel arrived as has the entity that possessed Luna. I may have told some of you this before but I want everyone on the same page. I have also had dreams involving the creature and uncountable variations on those dreams."

She sighed and I heard one of the chairs move across from me. It was probably Celestia's chair because the next time I heard her she had moved. "In those dreams we have never succeeded, but the worst results have several things in common. Luna or Twilight being possessed, a branch that hasn't occurred yet and I have warded against. Discord being freed by the beasts power, and Steel dying before the creature arrives. Another factor was the six element bearers needed their sanity but they don't necessarily have to be you six, but in general the odds favored you."

She paused for several excruciatingly long moments and I heard Luna comforting her sister but telling her to continue. "I know," said Celestia to who I assumed was Luna, in response to something unheard. "Each of these visions I have seen have had a point of no return, and I have done my best to prune the paths to guide us to the best result. Last night I was forced into a decision. Discord was freed by my powers to remove the madness in your minds."
There were gasps at this revelation, followed by questions to which Luna quickly asked for them to be set aside for the moment. This explains part of the fractured memories, I thought to myself.

I didn't have long to ponder this before Celestia continued her voice shaky again. "For some time Discord has been able to speak through his stone prison. Last night I was in the garden talking to him, when Steel arrived. He wasn't himself and after he was subdued by Luna, I searched his mind. The madness had grown enveloping his mind and I tried to remove it, repeatedly. Each attempt almost killed him and by the time I was stopped I feared that I had destroyed his mind. The worst part was I could see myself doing the same to each of you that is until I thought of you Twilight." Chills ran down my spine as her voice began to crack.
In an instant it all came back to me the pain from the night before; I could feel it along my body. I was locked in place trying to manage my breathing. Everything else became not important. The pain wasn't there but it was, I could feel the nerves telling me my body was fine but it was in my mind nonetheless. I began to feel my stomach churn and my world began to focus solely on myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight felt the Princesses words echo in her mind, she was admitting to letting Discord go, to practically torturing Steel to death and considering doing the same to her friends. Twilight had never felt this way before, it wasn't anger or disappointment. They were there yes but not in any significant amount, it was more of a loss of faith. The Alabaster statue of the goddess began to crack and weather in her mind.

A sense of pain and regret echoed with each word as Celestia continued, her teary eyes were locked with Twilight's. "You have to understand with an eternal lifespan come several losses, loss of friends, loss of loved ones, even the loss of enemies. Those losses can cause someone to become harsh and cold. Without my sister I had lost so many of those close to me, that while I wore a warm face I had become indifferent biding time until my sister returned. Then you came along and I," her voice broke and there was silence.

"Princess," returned Twilight emotion overflowing in the word like the tears in her eyes. The room could have been empty or full to the brim Twilight didn't care she was locked in the moment with Celestia. It was a moment she had dreamed of, the recognition from her hero in words so plain that no one could misunderstand. That Twilight Sparkle had mattered. Even though her life was just beginning she mattered, and that no matter how tarnished Celestia became in her mind meant something to her now.

"I recognized the power in you," The Princess spoke in a broken manner, slowly one moment, faster the next, "and I was training you to be the key of the Elements. The greatest weapon in existence, why else would I have pushed you to make friends so often, but along the way something happened." She paused again, eyes till meeting Twilight's, "I began to see you as a daughter, then as you aged as a little sister and a confidant. I couldn't do what I had done to Steel to you, and now what I've done haunts me."

The key to a weapon, Twilight's mind locked on to that concept first. That train of thought was quickly derailed by what followed. Twilight had always viewed the princess as a second mother, and to find out that the feeling was mutual at the least, the concept was making her cry. Twilight began to speak but her response was cut off by the sound of Steel vomiting

Everyone responded to Steel except for Twilight and Celestia whose eyes remained locked together for a few moments longer, the sound of him collapsing broke the lock between the two. Both moved over to Steel who was already surrounded by the others, his face now visible again since Luna had dispelled her magic.

Fluttershy had rolled him over out of the vomit and Rarity was levitating one of the silver pitchers of water and some of the napkins over. Once they arrived she began to clean his face while Applejack and Rainbow Dash watched, with puzzled faces. Luna had gone to the door and sent the guard to get a medic and Pinkie was sitting calmly watching.

"Is this what you were hoping for Luna," asked Celestia, her voice hollow.

"One possible outcome," replied The Princess of the Night as she walked up beside her sister. "Now Twilight could you be so kind as to scan his mind?"

Twilight who had been distracted watching Pinkie, jumped slightly when the princess said her name. She looked up at Luna and nodded an affirmative before channeling her magic. It was a simple spell; she wove the magic freely letting it send the impulses back to her and allowing the energies to flow along capillaries deep into his mind. There was a section that was empty save for a ghostly almost fading feeling. It was for the most part clean but obviously damaged. Another part was small dark, dangerous and greedy. All of her energy that went near that part disappeared. It seemed to pulse rapidly with an unclean taint, but it was weak and where it touched the final section it dispersed against the earthen light. This last section was warm friendly and familiar but strangely alien. It was stronger and larger than the other two sections and it pulsed slowly. It feed the other two sections energy while slowly absorbing them. It’s warmth and pulsing gave her the feeling of power. Not an observable strength like a stone but that of soft inevitability, the stream, root and breeze. There was no damage here and it felt stronger with each moment.

When she pulled her magic out of his mind she looked up at the princesses and said, "I think he's getting better."

"Well duh, I mean come on he just had his mind blown, give him a moment and he'll reset. This kind of thing happens to ponies that think too much and don't act," said Pinkie as she rocked backward in her chair. "Where did I leave my cloud some chocolate milk sounds so good right now?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up I could see that whatever spell that had obscured my vision was gone and I appeared to still be in the war room. I had a chance to look around and briefly saw everyone's face before Fluttershy's face obscured my view.

"Oh, good you're awake," she said with a smile, her voice an infinite well of serenity. "Can you tell me what day it is?"

I thought for a moment, I had no idea. I hadn't thought about days in that manner since shortly after I arrived. I smiled and said, "I'm sorry Fluttershy I have no clue, but I haven't been keeping track of them either." I ended my statement with a shoulder shrug.

She smiled and leaned back allowing me a full view of everyone else, including Celestia. I shouted and pinched my eyes shut expecting pain and white blinded vision but it never came. I slowly pried my eyes open and forced myself to look. Through watering eyes I could see the Princess; my stomach began to churn immediately upon looking at her. I gritted my teeth and looked away as I rolled to my feet, thanking Fluttershy once I was standing. Looking away from everyone began to relax my face trying to will away the pinched look of fear and pain before looking back towards Celestia.

We eyed one another and I could see the guilt born regret building on her face and while that stemmed my anger it only made my stomach churn more. Silence echoed through the room and rang in my ears as I chewed on my thoughts unable to look away. Celestia looked as if she felt the same way I did. She made motions like she was going to start speaking but no voice ever came. I had similar issues my throat was too tight to allow my voice to flow.
Luna came to our rescue by saying in the softest tone I had ever heard from her, "Let's take a break and let the air clear before trying this again."

There was a silent agreement in the room and I was able to pull my eyes away from the Princess. The unrealized tension in my back melted away as I watched the two sisters and Twilight leave through the door at the top of the stairs. I sighed deeply and began to chew my lip as I began to think. Fluttershy spoke up startling me and breaking my thoughts before they could form. She was still standing behind me as were the others. I heard her words but my mind was so far gone that I couldn't understand them. I yawned before saying, "I'm sorry, I checked out there for a moment, could you repeat that?"

She gave me a quizzical look then repeated herself while shaking her head, "are you alright?"

I rolled my eyes towards the ceiling and said, "No, I don't think I am, but I think I will be." I looked back at the group of friends that remained with a smile as I repeated, "I will be." My eyes fell on a suit of armor below a brown banner its color matching the powdery dust of a warn trail. At that point the latch pins began to release on the hamster wheel in my head. Ideas and thoughts burned away the mental fog of emotions. "Rainbow, you know about these suits of armor, all of these are very decorative except that one," I gestured at the armor in question, "why?"

The pegasus wore a confident smirk as she followed my gesture, "that armor belonged to Field Marshal Willow. He was a tactical genius, and he knew how to control the momentum of engagements. The interesting thing is since he was promoted from the field and never traded up his armor."

I walked over to the armor, examining it as I asked, "so this is the armor of what a basic foot, hoof, ah front line soldier?"

"Yeah, most earth ponies end up in logistics or as runners and very rarely do they end up in combat but that is what they wear when they do. I mean why would they? Magic and wings kind of make them pointless on the battlefield. Except when numbers are needed, then there armor and weapons are enchanted. Lances and halberds, well any pole arm is favored by...."
She continued to talk about the way war was fought in Equestria as I looked over the Field Marshals armor. It was simple and unlike all of the others had no engravings or inlays. I glanced around the room and took in several other armor sets. The pegasine Commander armors reminded me of the partial suit. The one that was used to defended Ponyvile. The robe and armor combinations of the unicorn Grand Magus were similar to the light rig of my more perverted persona. Finally another Earth Pony full body suit on the far side of the room had the broad sweeping shoulders that narrowed down into blades like the suit that I had worn and failed in the dreams. In my gut I knew that one would not work this time, I needed something different and I think following Willow's example would be best.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight sat in silence listening to the two sister’s talk and contemplating what had just been revealed. What had been discussed bothered her. Her releasing Discord was a problem as was her attack on Steel but those both were influenced by the approaching creature. What bothered her was before all of this, before everything all the way back to the entrance exam she had been an unknowing piece in a game she didn't understand. But that had changed hasn't it, she thought. Didn't she say she looked at me as a daughter and sister? This whole thing had her mind in an uproar to the point that she was unaware of her surroundings.

"Twilight?"

She jumped and her eyes refocused on Celestia sitting in front of her nose down, eyes pleading with a tidal wave of emotion. She swallowed before saying, "Yes?"

"I'm sorry, and I don't know if I'm sorry for telling you or for not telling you sooner. I wish none of this had happened but it has."

Twilight's mouth was too dry to speak and her mind was to jumbled to think but she could feel her heart and she followed its tug. She stepped up to the princess and initiated a hug just like an uncountable number of hugs before and whispered, "I'll always be your faithful student." At this she felt a soft shutter from the princess and with one glance saw tears flowing from pinched eyes.

The two sat locked in a hug for minutes with Luna standing guard before Celestia regained control and said, "Twilight once you know what I know about the elements that might change."

Twilight furrowed her brow as she pulled away from her mentor.

Celestia closed her eyes but continued to speak, "The elements existed long before the two of us arrived in Equestria. The stories of the millennium prior to our arrival told of a land rife with chaos that was brought about by a great war where great weapons were used. That war was the end of a millennium of peace. In the thousand years since the elements were used to banish Nightmare Moon the world has been at relative peace."

The realization showed on Twilight's face, "You don't mean the world is turning back to chaos? Do you think that's why that monster is coming?"

"No, I don't think the Elements or the cycle could pull someone or something from beyond our world but that doesn't mean that there influence couldn't be attracting the beast." Celestia laughed softly and said, "you are taking this by far calmer than I thought."

Twilight once again scrunched up her face as she asked, "What do you mean?"

"That you and your friends are the heralds of the fall of order and rise of chaos, the change of time."

This time Twilight laughed, “No we're not we are the Elements of Harmony, harmony can come from chaos and order working together."

Luna stepped up and said, "That is a very good point Twilight and you both look like you have calmed down and resolved some issues. But let us not forget that we have a significant issue to face and we need to plan for it."

Celestia stood up her mane billowing slightly, "you're right sister that was the point of this meeting to formulate a plan to stop that thing."

Twilight's face was still scrunched up and she was still sitting as the two sisters walked back towards the war room. She stood up to follow and shouted, "I didn't need to calm down!"

Sprinting to catch up to the two princesses Twilight caught them as they entered the door. In the room she found Applejack and Fluttershy talking alone in a corner. Pinkie being Pinkie with the chocolate rain cloud, Rainbow and Rarity standing near Steel with Rainbow discussing what sounded like war history and Steel smiling.

As the three entered he looked up at them and said, "Welcome back, do you have any of these suits of armor here at the castle?"

Luna and Celestia glanced at each other before slowly saying, “Yes."

His smile widened as he asked, "Can I have one? I have an idea."