• Published 3rd Nov 2012
  • 5,075 Views, 19 Comments

Chaos Theory - Lucky Seven



Discord is trapped in stone once again. But this time, he does some thinking.

  • ...
40
 19
 5,075

Chapter 9

Chaos Theory

Chapter 9

No, that can't be it. And even if that is it, I'm not going to act on it, because it just isn't logical. But then again, is anything I do logical? I am the spirit of chaos and disharmony, so being illogical perfectly suits me. But... no, I'm giving up chaos and this would be a form of it. Besides, it would be really weird. I mean seriously, I'm like five times her size, I look ancient, and I have way too manly of a voice for her to handle. Most of all though, why am I so obsessed with this? I mean seriously, I woke up a few minutes ago and this is all I can think about?

"Discord, are you still awake?"

Looking towards the doorway, I rub my eyes and am able to make out the form standing there.

"Twilight?"

Turning towards the window and peering out, I ascertain that it's at least two in the morning, so what is she still doing up? Maybe she's having a long night as well.

"Oh, you are awake, listen, can I um..."

I can barely hear her as her voice trails off. Darn, why couldn't I have been given dog ears instead of these dumb pony ones?

"You need to speak up, Twilight..."

Celestia, even I'm having trouble talking. So... tired...

"C-can I come in?"

I pat the bed, letting her know she's welcome and she obliges, jumping onto the bed and snuggling up against me.

"What's wrong, Twilight?"

"N-nothing is wrong, I just wanted to talk."

"Twilight," I say while pointing at where she's hugging my abdomen, "Ponies don't cuddle for comfort when all they want to do is talk."

"Nothing is wrong, Discord."

She's obviously forcing her answers, and something is bothering her.

Taking a closer look at the mare, I notice something shocking.

"Twilight Sparkle, have you been crying?"

"N-no, it's just really... bright," she says as if I'll actually believe her, "yeah, that's it, it's really bright outside!"

"Twilight, it's night time, so why don't you pony up and tell the truth."

She lets out a sigh, and I'm hopeful she'll finally tell me what's bugging her.

"F-fine, something is bothering me..."

I smile, happy she's finally being truthful, before asking, "May I ask what that something is?"

"I-it's nothing important..."

"Come on, back to the lying Twilight, really?"

"Why do you have to be so smart..."

I let out a few chuckles at that, but now is the time to be serious, as she's obviously in need of comfort.

"Twilight, just tell me what's wrong," I say, but after a few seconds of her not talking, I decide to ask nicely, "please?"

"A-alright..."

I watch as she fidgets around and plays with her hooves for a few seconds, and I'm starting to grow impatient.

"Any time now."

"Fine," She states with a tinge of pain in her voice, "I... had a dream..."

"Am I to assume it was a bad one?"

She slowly nods her head before burying her face into my side and crying into it. Dear Celestia, what could have happened in her dream? She's literally shaking in fear!

"Twilight," I say as I lift her head to face mine, "What happened?"

"Do you promise not to get mad?"

"Twilight, how could I get mad at you when you're in such a sad state?"

She actually forms a small smile, and I return it with my own, but I'm still waiting for her to tell me what happened in the dream.

"Equestria to Twilight, what happened?" I say as I wave my paw in front of her.

She seemingly snaps out of the stupor she was in and shakes her head.

"I-in the dream, you and I were talking."

"That's it? A conversation has you this scared?"

I watch as she nods her head and I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Well, what kind of conversation was it?"

An audible gulp comes from Twilight, so it must have been anything but a pleasant one.

"You said you were going to..."

Once again, I really need dog ears if she's going to keep trailing off like this.

"Twilight, honestly, you need to learn how to speak up and stop being so nervous when talking about your feelings."

She lets out a sigh, and it seems like she's really scared to tell me.

"You said you were going to kill me and all my friends..."

Did I hear that correctly?

"I said I was going to kill you and your friends?"

I watch sadly as she nods her head, and a few more tears run down her cheeks, the poor mare...

Hugging her closer to me, I lean down and whisper into her ear, "Twilight, I've long since stopped doing... that."

"It wasn't that Discord..."

"Twilight, if me saying I was going to do... that to you girls isn't what's making you upset, then what is?"

I watch as she tries to choke out her reason, but she isn't getting anywhere, so I might need to give her a jump-start, so to speak.

"Twilight, you can tell me, don't worry, I won't think any less of you."

She nods her head and looking up, gives me a small smile.

"Like I said, it wasn't what you said that has me so upset. It's what you did..."

"I assume I went through with it?"

She shakes her head, which surprises me.

"So what did I do then?"

She gives me one of the saddest faces I've ever seen before choking out her answer.

"You left me..."

My mind is officially blown. So she's sad because in the dream, I... left her?

"Twilight, I don't understand," I say, and as I do, she looks up at me, threatening to cry again, "we've only really known each other for about a day, so why does it have you so upset?"

"Because you listen to what I have to say, you care about my feelings, and you even comforted me after reading that entry in my diary..."

"Twilight, you just mentioned everything a good friend is supposed to do."

She doesn't say anything in response, and it gets me thinking.

"Twilight, do your friends not care about your feelings?"

She shakes her head, and I feel bad all of a sudden. I shouldn't, since I've done nothing wrong, but I did just ask that...

"It isn't that they don't care about my feelings, it's just that..."

"What, Twilight? You can tell me."

She actually starts to cry a little more and hugs me even tighter than before.

"D-during your s-song, when I t-told them how bad I f-felt for you, th-they told me I was being s-stupid..."

"Twilight, look at me," I say, and as she does I continue, "you're anything but stupid."

I wince a little as she hugs me even closer. Seriously, she's lucky she isn't hugging my chest, because if she was, I wouldn't be able to breathe.

"Discord, can I sleep here tonight?"

I should take a second to think about this. Would it be considered inappropriate? Because I sure as hay don't want to live life out on the moon. But then again, she is so pathetically sad that I would feel absolutely horrible if I turned her away.

"Oh hay, alright, but I'm going back to sleep right now, and you should as well."

"Thanks, Discord."

"No problem, Twilight. After all, I am a guest in your home."

I'm about to close my eyes when I notice her leaning up a bit, and to my shock, she kisses me on the cheek before closing her eyes and drifting off. Normally I would be disgusted by such a gesture, but from her?

It means a lot...