• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 2,363 Views, 29 Comments

The Pony: An Unexpected Journeigh - Ash_Kitsune



Clover the Clever is known for her many achivements, but who is this pony?

  • ...
2
 29
 2,363

An Unexpected Party

-------CHAPTER TWO: AN UNEXPECTED PARTY--------

“Lets see... aha, the smudging ends here.” Twilight says, looking rather pleased as the girls let out a relieved sigh. “I can't believe six pages of Clovers intricate hoofwriting is smudged! She couldn't have written this by horn, but it's all gone! I suppose I could restore it later and-”

“Oh just GET ON WITH IT!” An annoyed, and still rather bored Rainbow Dash speaks up, her tail flicking to the side.

Twilight frowns at her friend and sighs, before bringing the book up. “Right, so lets see...”

-------

Clover's morning had started as it usually did- Tidying the library with a light dusting from her horn, and then a peaceful smoke. All had gone well till about lunchtime, upon which she received a knocking at her door.

“A knocking, a knocking? A guest might I suggest!” Clover muses aloud, having completely forgotten about Starswirl and tea, trotting over to the door and opening it only to see, to her great surprise, a small group of stallions standing before her very eyes.

“A thousand and one pardons M'lady.” A unicorn states, very slim in his musculature, his well tamed coat, a cool tan, and his bright red mane glinting in the sunlight next to a unicorn who looks quite similar, more stallions with them. “We were told this was the place to be for tea at the suns highest?”

“Forgive me, I didn't know of such a thing! I... ehm...” Now, the normally composed and knowing unicorn mare that was Clover the Clever was unsure of what to make of this, but being a Librarian, was always welcoming to her guests, though there were so many of them... “E-excuse me, please, please, do come in. I shall go put on the tea...” She says, trotting away in shock.

The stallions filed into the house, so many of them! She gawked slightly, before her mind reconnected and she turned to head to her kitchen, starting up the kettle and collecting tea leaves for the stallions, who were murmuring amongst themselves as she panicked in her kitchen.

“Oh me oh my, I didn't expect this at all! So many guests, and Starswirl will be returning for tea as well!” Clover mutters, only for another loud knocking to come to her door. “J-just a moment!” She calls out as she sets another kettle on the stove for the tea.

-------

“Wait wait wait, why didn't she just heat it up with her horn?” Dash asks, frowning. “I mean, she's going all loopy crazy because all the stallions right? She could instantly heat it up!”

Twilight shakes her head. “This was so long ago that not even the Princesses remember the whole tale Rainbow Dash. Most common household spells hadn't be made yet, and spells that made heat weren't often used due to how easily they could get out of control.”

“So?”

“So, if you live in a house made of wood, don't play with matches.” Twilight says dryly, Dash's eyes widening in understanding. “Oh... heh heh... right...”

Twilight sighs and rolls her eyes as she lifts the book up again, the fire once again twisting into the images of the tale...

-------

Soon, Clover's humble home was a burst with energy. Her library, grand as it were, wasn't a place to have tea, and she oft bore guests in her own living quarters should they wish to have a bite to eat or something to drink, and her small living space was feeling quite packed after three groups of ponies, all stallions for the exception of three mares arrived.

The confused mare dashed about her house, quickly making as much hot water for the tea as she could as the ponies conversed amongst themselves and paid tidings to their hostess, whom had now remembered that Starswirl was coming and was rather worried about having enough for all of the guests, only for yet another round of knocking to come to her door.

“MORE? Perhaps -now- tis Starswirl and I can ask what in Faust's name is going on!” Clover grumbles as she trots to the door, opening it with magic only to behold in shock as four stallions more tumble into her home and onto her floor, followed by the wizened form of Starswirl the Bearded.

“Aha, excellent, we are all present.” Starswirl says with a slightly smug smile as he gathers everypony around Clover's table.

“Oh dear...” Clover mutters.

After everpony gathers about the table in Clover's dining room, a small, but well crafted room against her kitchen, not far from the door, a room made obviously with guests in mind, warm and welcoming to all whom enter, Clover sitting with them in a moment after serving everypony tea. “Oh dear oh my... whom are all these ponies, Starswirl?” Clover asks.

Starswirl smiles at Clover, grinning lightly, “Clover, allow me to introduce... Shim, Sham...” He says, pointing to the twin unicorns, “Gingeroat ,Yamaoat,” He points to two Earth Ponies with farming cutie marks, “Sky Eye, Fly Eye,” He gestures to two more Earth Ponies, “Streak, Beak, Sheek,” He gestures to a trio of Pegasi wearing royal armor, emarked with non other then the Vunderbolten markings, the most powerful and dangerous of the Pegasi grand army's sky brigade, “Sircon, Carron, Stratton,” He gestures to the trio of female pegasi, one whom looks rather confused, a rather energetic, lively looking one, and a gray pegasi with a blond mane whom wears a dark cloak, ducking her head low... “And the leader of our company... Foreign Armorglance...”

“Well met, Clover the Clever... fast of hoof and marker of invisibility. Starswirl has told us much of your skill and ability.” Foreign Armorglance says softly, the large unicorn says. The massive unicorn, whom is unusually large for any unicorn, is dressed in heavy, thick armor, obviously not of the lands of Equestria, and his eyes shine in the light, his fur the purest of white and his mane all shades of blue, from the darkest of royal blue to the shining teal, those pure eyes filling the shades in between.

“S-skill? Well, yes, I suppose I am rather skilled...” Clover mutters, looking embarrassed, thinking they spoke of her excellent organizational and magical skill.

“Indeed. Such a clever and crafty mare...” “...Especially one such named...” “...Is a mare that we...” “...In our valiant quest of course...” “...Most definitively...” “...Need the Assistance of.” Shim and Sham, the twin unicorns, speak, trading off one another's sentences with an accuracy most unnerving.

Clover rubs the back of her head in embarrassment. “Truly, you overstate my skill. I am but a humble librarian, and my riddles gather ponyfolk from far an near, true.”

Sky Eye hums softy, and Clover turns her head to get a good look at the Earth Pony, his light brown coat now just starting to shine in the midday sun, his dark, chocolate brown mane glinting lightly. “You spoke truly of her Starswirl. Such a humble mare for a pony of her ability and skill. She will be most helpful upon our quest, no doubt.”

“Indeed.” The thirteen ponies gathered about Clover's table muse together before looking to Clover. “Tell me this though...” Foreign Armorglance speaks up, “Why does a thief of such as thou live in such a humble abode?”

Clover, blinks, looking in confusion before speaking, “B-but I am no thief! I've never stolen a thing in my life!” She says, looking rather shocked at what she saw as a sudden accusation, only to draw laughs from the ponies gathered about her kitchen table, drinking her tea.

“You spoke truly, Wizard, she is as humble and crafty as you said.” Sircon, an armored Pegasi, one of the general guard, not of the Vundebolten, spoke, “Just the kind of Mare right for the job. I highly approve of her appointment to this group.”

Starswirl chuckles lightly. “She speaks wisely for she grew fast, and strong, studying amongst the books of her youth, before following through with the ideas of the old with the skill and power of the young at heart. A young mare she may be, but a more clever pony you'll have yet to see.” Starswirl muses as he takes a sip of his tea.

Clover frowns, her head practically spinning as she tries to wrap her head around what Starswirl just said and apparently told these ponies before Foreign Armorglance stands.

“Enough.” He says, his voice low and strong, almost gruff, as if from an Earth Pony, and not a Unicorn, a voice of hard times and weary to the dangers of the world. “Thief, oh great Clover the Clever, I am Foreign Armorglance, as I was introduced by the renounced wizard, the Court Wizard of the Royal Pony Sisters... Starswirl the Bearded.” The massive Unicorn rumbles softly.

“My companions and I have to make this request of you, for we know not else of where to turn...” He says, his head hanging lightly as he shivers, as if a unprecedented weight is weighed upon his shoulders.

“Wh... what do you mean?” Clover asks quietly as the fourteen other ponies at her table glance at one another worriedly, before Yamaoat, a massive, dark red earth pony, steps forwards, bowing reverently to Clover without a word before pulling a scroll from his saddlebags, passing it to Clover, before a single, almost silent voice begins to sing...

“Far over... the Misty Mountains cold... to dungeons deep... and caverns ol'...” Foreign sings, his voice dark and low as if he had recounted such a tale for many a moon, before the voices of the other stallions start to join in... “The pines were holding... upon the hind... the winds were moaning... in the night... the fires red... its flame is spread... the trees like torches... blazed with lies...” At this point, all of the ponies aside from Starswirl and Clover were singing almost... mournfully.

“Grand thief... we beg of your aid...” Gingeroat says quietly, bowing his head and almost kneeling before Clover.

Clover is breathing softly, almost... shaking, as her voice trembles, her words quietly echoing through her dining room. “That... that song...” She whispers, shivering, almost unable to say another word as Streak, a pegasi Stallion, the apparent leader of the Vunderbolten, speaks up. “Aye... the song of the Elements of Harmony.” He says quietly, his voice strong and stout, that of a stallion, oft accustomed to action, not careful wording. “Tis the tale of how the Diamond Dogs stole them from Everfree... without a glance back, during the grand fire...”

Clover's voice hesitantly fills the void after Streak's words, “All through the Night... the trail was found... but it was for nigh... the hearts were lost...” She whispers, as if unable to say a word more.

The ponies around her table, one again short of Starswirl, almost recoil in shock. “She knows of the song!” Fly Eye says, the older Earth Pony looking at her in shock. “She knows!”

“Then she knows the grimness of our task.” Foreign says, standing up lightly. “And she knows of what we ask. Clover the Clever... we beg of your aid, for we seek the Elements of Harmony, hidden within' the heart of the Diamond Dogs.”

The rooms collective breath seems held, and all is quiet as Clover's mind kicks into overtime, sorting through every bit of information she has. The Elements of Harmony, The Goddess Faust's gift to Ponykind, forged by 'The Voice', Johnny Appleseed, and Commandant, Lord Stormwing... their gift of peace and unity between all of the ponies, solidified through the Goddesses... and stolen by the Diamond Dogs.

“Are... are thou -mad-?! Do you realize of what you ask!?” Clover hisses, looking around as if making sure non else are listening in on this conversation, to which Foreign Armorglance nods. “Indeed, I do, Clover the Clever. I realize the enormity of what we ask, but we have non else to turn to and your skill and knowledge will no doubt be required upon such an epic quest... for we seek to return the Elements of Harmony to Ponykind.”

-------

“Oh come on! Really?” Dash says, looking highly disappointed, only to earn a glare from Twilight.

“What is it -now- Rainbow Dash?!” Twilight asks, looking rather miffed, Dashing getting glares from Pinkie, AJ, Rarity and, surprisingly, Fluttershy, as well.

“The Elements are kinda symbolic you know? I mean, we don't really need the gems, do we? We're powerful on our own, and when working together we kick flank!” Dash says, ignoring the glares and shadow boxing herself.

Twilight sighs. “Yes, that's true, but you're forgetting a single fact... The Element of Magic.”

Dash rolls her eyes. “Yeah, one of the Elements of Harmony! Big deal. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's way cool n' all, but so what if it's a tiara while we all get necklaces. They all look cool anyway!”

Twilight shakes her head. “The Element of Magic... was forged by Faust herself.” She says quietly. “It's the source of Unicorn Magic, in a way, for she truly enlightened us... and is the source of power for all the other elements. That unknown factor can either make or ruin a friendship... which is why it is so important.” She lectures.

Dash frowns. “So wait, how important are we talking?”

Twilight sighs. “If the Element of Magic fails? Then whatever darkness we are attempting to fight will win, guaranteed... with exception to the princesses once they are in fighting shape again.” Twilight says, earning a low whistle from Applejack.

“That tar' is a doozy Twi... you tellin' me that mah ancestors knew this Clover pony?” The farmpony says, leading to shocked looks from the other five.

“Wha.... who are you talking about Applejack?!” Twilight says, gaping at Applejack. “Well shoot, I'm just talkin' bout Johnny Appleseed n' his sons, Gingeroat Appleseed and Yamaoat Appleseed.” her voice turns almost reverent. “He looks almost like mah brother. N' he's legendary in th' apple family... ya'll will see why if Twi will continu' her tale.”

Twilight nods to Applejack and takes a breath. “Now, where was I?” She muses before the fire dances again...

-------

“I-I see...” Clover mutters.

“Now, we understand...” “That you don't work for free!” Shim and Sham speak up. “As such...” “... We have proposed...” “A very lucrative offer!” “Fifty percent of whatever non-Element treasure...” “Shall be yours for the keeping...” “So long as you stick to the deal.” The unicorns finish.

Clover's looks at them in shock, her eyes wide and her pupils dilating before a moment passes... and she falls over, lost to the world.

“Dear me... I believe we have overwhelmed the girl.” Starswirl muses as Foreign looks on in worry.

“This is the pony that we are entrusting our greatest quest to? Surely you can't be serious Starwirl.” The massive unicorn growls to the wizened wizard, who laughs. “Of course I am serious Foreign Armorglance... though I ask that in future though that you do not refer to me as 'Shirley', perchance?”

The unicorn groans and smacks his face with his hoof as Starswirl laughs hardly, watching as the twelve other ponies gather around their possible sixteenth member in shock and light a*Choack!*we....

-------

Twilight coughs violently twice, making Fluttershy step up in worry. “Are you ok Twilight? Umm... I mean, if that's alright for me to ask...” She whispers, speaking up twice as loud as anypony has heard her before.

“I-I'm ok Fluttershy.” Twilight says. “Just... not used to speaking the stories I read.”

“Oh dear... be right bag, I'm going to get some lemon juice, water, and honey.” Flutter mutters before taking off and away at a surprising speed.

The other five look on in shock before Dash shrugs. “I'll get more snacks, seeing as we're on a break anyway...” She says, before taking off, as Rarity, AJ, and Pinkie begin to prod Twilight for answers to questions about the story...

Author's Note:

Edit two and a bit of rewriting.