• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 2,942 Views, 21 Comments

Luna's Power and Rainbow's love - zyr1987



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are recruited into a mission to help Luna regain the rest of her power.

  • ...
15
 21
 2,942

Meeting with Luna

It was just before dawn and Fluttershy, wearing two saddlebags worth of food, and her favorite blanket like a cape, was running into a field to meet with the one who had summoned her there.It had been a few weeks since the Nightmare Night festivities, and Fluttershy had hoped to put the scary and embarrasing events behind her, but It's not often that you get a personal summons from a princess, especially not one asking to appear in some field at dawn, and this is not the sort of thing you can just turn down. Even so, Fluttershy remembered her last meeting with Luna had ended up with her fainting on her doorstep after a particularly terrifying hug.

Adding to her nervousness was that she couldn't help but think of Luna as Nightmare Moon, even after Princess Luna had shown so much joy at her speech lessons, and Twilight had reassured her that she had changed. When she arrived at the designated meeting place, a tree in front of a small lake, she spotted the dark mare already waiting, and felt a magic field enveloping her. Oh no, She thought, afraid that she was about to die.

Rainbow Dash, more confused than concerned about the upcoming meeting, and having one saddle bag filled with her blanket, and the other with food, was rushing to the designated meeting place as well, when she saw Princess Luna clutching Fluttershy close to her body, a look of fear and angst on the yellow Pegasus' face. “Put her down right now!” Rainbow Dash yelled, rushing towards the two. Luna did as told, ducking the blue mare in the process, which resulted in her doing the other thing she was famous for, crashing into the tree.

“Are you okay, Rainbow Dash?” Luna asked, sounding concerned, and not using her booming “Royal Canterlot Voice,” much to the relief of Rainbow Dash.

“I'm fine.” Rainbow looked at Fluttershy who was lying in a heap on the ground. This scared and angered her. “What did you do to Fluttershy?”

“We gave her a hug. We had no intention of hurting her,” Luna said, sounding very worried.

Fluttershy came around quickly enough for Rainbow to not have time to chew Luna out, as badly as she wanted to, so instead she asked, “Are you okay, Fluttershy?”

“Y-yes, but, if you don't mind, can I make a request?” Fluttershy asked as she got back on all fours.

“Sure,” Rainbow Dash said, finding herself staring at Fluttershy for longer than necessary.

“N-no more hugs? Please?” Fluttershy asked, putting on the most adorable look she could through her fear of Luna.

“We are sorry, Fluttershy. We did not realize that our hugs would be so hard on you.”

“It's not that. It's just that I still can't help but think of you as Nightmare Moon,” Fluttershy said still sounding extremely nervous and poking at the grass at her feet.

Luna was slightly taken aback by this, but realized it shouldn't be all that shocking, considering how Fluttershy reacted at their last meeting.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hand, was feeling protective of Fluttershy. She worked out a way to make the best of those feelings when she put her foreleg around her friend and said, “Don't worry, Fluttershy. If she tries anything, I'll be here to protect you.”

“Thank you, Rainbow.”

Luna noted this with some trepidation, after seeing how Rainbow Dash had reacted to her hugging Fluttershy. She had to wonder how rapidly the multicolored mare would act and what she would do if there was even the slightest hint of something wrong. Luna did admit that, during the events of Nightmare Night, she had taken a liking to Fluttershy because Fluttershy had taken the time to actually help her be less scary and more approachable, despite being terrified of her, and, like most ponies who knew her, Luna could never even think of hurting the shy Pegasus. Of course, she doubted the hotheaded mare would believe her if she said as much, and it didn't help that Fluttershy was still scared of her. She eventually said “You need not worry. We apologize for any harm we may have done to you.”

“Yeah, I still don't think I can trust you. Anyway, why did you call us out here?” Rainbow Dash asked, still feeling very protective of her canary-colored friend.

“Well, you remember how when the elements transformed us back from our dark form, we looked like a filly?”

“Yes?” Both Pegasi said in unison, one still nervous, the other merely curious.

“That was because when Celestia banished us to the moon, she took away much of our power, to ensure that we would be unable to escape our prison. Since our dark power has been taken from us, we have been gathering back our former power from vessels that Celestia used to take it when she sealed us away, and then spread about Equestria. Most were easily reached, but a few have proven more...troublesome, but, at long last, there's only one left to acquire.” Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy both noted, at this point, the lock of hair on Luna's head that was not billowing like the rest of her mane, and assumed that that was how you could tell how much of her power a goddess has.

“And you want our help with getting the last one,” Rainbow Dash said, feeling less than enthused.

“Indeed, Rainbow Dash. Acquiring this final vessel requires the assistance of two Pegasi, and we have chosen you two.”

When the full ramifications of Luna's plans to get her power back hit her, Rainbow Dash, remembering the Summer Solstice, when she met Twilight, and Nightmare Moon plunged the world into darkness for a while, asked, “Wait a minute, how do we know that, when you have regained your power, you're not going to try to take over again.”

“Your concern is well understood, but it was jealousy, as well as demonic spirits that turned us into that which you know as Nightmare Moon. We have dealt with our feelings, and the demons no longer haunt us. If it helps, Celestia has given her blessing for this mission, though our leaving a toy spider on her pillow did seem to make her want to get rid of us for a while.” Luna said this last part with a small grin.

Rainbow snickered at this, starting to warm up a bit to the princess, who she never expected to be a prankster.

“Why us?” Fluttershy asked, feeling a bit braver.

“It was you who taught us to speak more quietly and you have an amazing affinity with animals, and you, Rainbow Dash, are the fastest, if often least graceful, flier in Equestria.” Rainbow gave an annoyed snort at hearing this. “Your skills will surely help us on this journey.”

“Why not have your royal guards help you?” Rainbow Dash asked, making no attempt to hide the annoyance in her voice. She did not enjoy receiving the playful jabs Luna kept sending her way, because she hated it when someone poked fun at her flying abilities. That's why she worked so hard at being the best flier in Equestria

“They are too large to fit in the alcoves you will need to reach. You two, however, are the perfect size. It is a mundane problem, but it is also one of great importance.”

I have one more quick question, if you don't mind, Princess.”

“We're listening.”

“Why do you keep saying we and us, instead of I and me?”

“We have been able to adapt our language to the modern world, for the most part, but the royal we is a habit we have yet to break.” Luna said, feeling a bit embarrassed about this fact.

“So where are we going, Princess?” Fluttershy asked, breaching the topic of the hour.

Rather than answer immediately, Princess Luna opened her saddle bag, and pulled out a map, before using her magic to unroll it and place it at a level comfortable for all three ponies. She pointed at a spot on the map that both Pegasi could tell was a long way from their current spot. “That is our destination. A large cave in the side of that mountain. Our route will follow this river,” she said, moving her hoof in a long arc along a large river that began at their destination.

“Why not go straight there?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Fluttershy saw why not. “There aren't any sources of fresh water if we take a direct route.”

“Indeed, and here,” Luna said, pointing to another part of the map, about halfway between their starting point and ultimate destination, “are several volcanoes that have been producing large amounts of sulfuric smoke for the past hundred years, if our sister is to be believed. Personally, we have no desire to be flying through that.”

“I see your point.”

“Also, we presume you have made arrangements to have your duties taken care of while we are gone?”

They had been told that they should prepare to be gone for two weeks, and had managed to get some of their friends to take care of things in the meantime. Thunderlane would take care of weather duties, and Twilight would ensure that Fluttershy's animals were taken care of. When they answered in the affirmative Luna put away her map, and asked, "Did you bring the supplies we had asked you to bring?"

Once again, she got an answer in the affirmative. They had been asked to bring a lot of food that wouldn't spoil, and blankets.

“Then it is time we set off.”

“Wait, are we going to be rewarded for helping you on this adventure?”

Luna gave a look that was somewhere between quizzical and embarrassed. “We are sorry, we hadn't thought about that. Is there any reward that you would seek?”

For Rainbow Dash, the answer was simple. “I want to become one of the Wonderbolts.”

“Well, unfortunately, we cannot simply make you a wonderbolt, but we can put in a good word for you, though we doubt that they are simply going to let your tendency to crash slide on the word of a Princess,” Luna said with a slight smirk.

Rainbow Dash was growing a bit frustrated with Luna's poking fun at her tendency to crash, but decided that complaining about it would do no good. For now, anyway. "Well, if that's the best you can do, then that's fine."

Fluttershy, on the other hand, was having a hard time thinking up a reward for helping out on this bizarre quest. She was happy to live at her cottage at the edge of the Everfree Forest, leading a simple life. The only things she would change would be to have less adventures or not have to deal with the crazy antics of her friends quite so much, and there wasn't much Luna could do about those things. The one thing that Luna could do that would make her happy, canceling Nightmare Night forever, she had done once already with decidedly poor results.

She briefly considered not having to pay taxes on her cottage but was sure that if she had a chat with Celestia, she could get her cottage classified as a charity house because of all the animals she took care of, and thus be tax exempt. She had decided that, if she was going to be rewarded for going on such a difficult venture, she wanted a reward that would be very difficult to get otherwise. Too bad nothing was coming to mind.

Eventually she said, “I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything right now. I'll let you know if I do think of something.”

“We understand. You should have about five days to think about this before we arrive at our destination, so do not think you're being rushed.”

“Thank you, your Highness.”

“So, are we ready to begin our journey?”

“Yes, I believe all four of us are ready to head out,” Rainbow smirked, taking the opportunity to make fun of the princess.

Luna rolled her eyes at this, but let it slide. She extended her wings and began flying to the west-southwest, followed by the two Pegasi.

It took all of five minutes for a problem to present itself, however. Fluttershy, not being as strong a flier as Rainbow Dash or Princess Luna was falling behind at a slow but steady rate. Rainbow noticed this, and sped up to speak to Luna. She said “I think we should slow down a bit. Fluttershy's not a particularly strong flier, and she's having some trouble keeping up.”

Luna looked back, and saw Fluttershy was a good distance behind. “Your concern is well understood. We shall slow down, so Fluttershy can keep up.”

Rainbow Dash fell back to Fluttershy's position and asked, “How are you holding up?”

“I'm a little nervous.”

“From working with Luna, or going on this trip?”

“Both,” Fluttershy admitted, feeling a bit better now that they were going at a more leisurely pace.

“Don't worry about it. I'm sure that if Princess Luna is taking along two untrained ponies, this isn't going to be super dangerous,” Rainbow Dash said, trying to reassure herself as much a Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash may act fearless, but even she would be terrified about heading deep into the wilds, where no help would ever find her if something happened. Only the fool is fearless Dash told herself, and I'm no fool.

“I hope so,” Fluttershy said.


Author's notes: LibreOffice doesn't recognize the word Pegasi? Really? Really?

Also, this is marked AU because down the line, there will be some large deviations from canon.