• Published 22nd Aug 2011
  • 1,581 Views, 13 Comments

The Forgotten Battle of Equestria - lilinuyasha



Everypony knows the story of Luna's banishment. Most people don't realize that there was a war.

  • ...
5
 13
 1,581

Chapter 8

Mighty galloped off, leaving his sword by his brother. He ignored the screams of his brother as he galloped out of there quickly. He had never believed in showing mercy or compassion. He certainly didn’t want to get thanked for it. He galloped off toward the spiral tower, where he was to meet Luna.

Burly laid on the ground, stunned. Mighty had never shown mercy or compassion. But for some unknown, reason, he simply dropped his sword and galloped away, making sure he couldn’t follow him. Burly was dumbfounded, but he couldn’t think about it for too long. He got to his hooves, gripping his sword before dropping it and replacing it with his brother’s. Cartographer suddenly burst up the stairs as Burly limped towards him, arrow still in his hoof.

“We’ve cleared out the bottom. The ponies carrying the elements are moving in. What orders do you have?”

“Just send them in. And bring me a medic.” said Burly, deciding to take a rest, leaning against the railing on the stairs. Cartographer hurried down the steps, motioning the element carriers in as Bomb Bastic and other leaders trotted in, claiming the lobby for themselves. One of the medics, Nurse Bluecross, hurried up the stairs towards Burly.

***

Mighty finished rounding the steps, heading towards Luna.

“The deed is finished?” she asked, looking out a window.

“Yes. However, they’re in complete control of the hall.”

“Are there any survivors?” asked Luna, turning towards him.

“I have no idea. I have a feeling not.”

“There are a few here. This is not nearly enough. It’ll be over tonight. Thank you for your loyalty.”

“It...it doesn’t have to be over. You can flee, and we can fight...”

“Mighty.” she said forcefully. She’d never been this mad at him. It made him nervous. “There’s been a mole in our army for quite a bit now. It’s slipped me as to who it was for this long. He’s been the one that led to my downfall.”

“I knew you suspected something.”

“You wouldn’t believe how frustrating it is not knowing what’s destroying your army from the inside.”

“As one of the head commanders, I can sympathize.”

“But you also wouldn’t believe the joy I got when I finally figured out who it was.”

Mighty froze, a cold sweat running down his face. “I’m glad to hear that. Who was it?”

“See, that’s just the thing. I know exactly who it is, but I’m not sure who it is.”

Mighty was confused. “You know who it is...but not who it is?”

“Oh no...” she said. “I know exactly who the hell it is.” she said, turning away from him, looking towards the small group of survivors in the tower with her. They cowered in fear as she strolled past them slowly, glancing back towards Mighty every so often. “You see, I’ve had my suspicions for quite a bit. Ever since the Everfree Plains incident, the lower ranked officers I had suspected died. And yet, all my plots and motives have been spoiled. I took time to reflect on why this may be...and I came to the conclusion that it must have been one of my higher ranking officers, someone I trusted very much. After I disposed of those I suspected, things STILL started going wrong. That left me with only one pony.”

Mighty started shaking and quivering. “Wh...who?” he asked timidly, his voice shaking.

“You.” she said, as her horn started to glow brightly. Mighty felt himself lift off the ground.

“NO, NO, NO!!!” he screamed in futility. Luna moved closer to him, talking right in his face. Luna laughed at him as she used her magic to fling him across the room, smashing him against the wall as he collided and fell lifeless to the hard concrete.

“This is what happens to ponies who betray me. Let this be a lesson to you. Now, get ready. Our final stand begins here.” she said, disappearing into the black mist and floating above the room, surveying the scene.

***

Nurse Bluecross bandaged Burly’s hoof, using a bit of her magic to take away the pain.

“Thanks” he said, getting up and trotting to the top of the stairs.

“Fillies. Gentlecolts.” he started, yelling at Celestia’s army at the bottom of the stairs. “This is where we finish this. We’ve lost a lot of good colts. We’ve lost a lot of fillies. Every one of us here has lost someone important. But every one of us is fighting. We’re all fighting for something. This is where we finish that fight. For Celestia!!!” he said, to which a thunderous roar resounded from the bottom. Burly galloped off towards where Mighty went, seeing a spiraling tower. Everypony in the army galloped after him, charging the stairs.

***

A dull roar resounded from the stairs. Luna sensed they were finally charging.

“Fight for your queen. Fight for the darkness...” she said, a voice simply floating about in the room as the last of Luna’s army mustered their courage and readied their weapons. Soon, a large clopping was heard as the horde of Celestia’s army galloped up the steps. The final battle ensued.

***

Burly led the charge once again as he galloped up the steps, leading his troops into battle. He cleared the stairs, coming into a large room at the top of the tower where Luna’s army waited back, their shields forming a wall, almost scared of the imposing threat. Burly paid this no mind as he charged in there, supported by his monstrous army. Luna’s army was relatively easy to take care of. Their spirits were broken, they had nothing left to fight for. Burly took out a few of the front line, revealing a hole, before he backed out and let the others take care of it. He backed up, looking for Luna, who was nowhere to be seen. He trotted back towards the stairs, keeping an eye out, when a black lump caught his eye. He trotted over to get a better view. Suddenly, the noises of swords clashing ended abruptly, and his world slowed down as the lump suddenly became recognizable. Burly didn’t remember much. All he did know what that he was soon over his brother’s body, a mangled, bloody pulp after where he was thrown against the wall, judging by the blood stain. Burly bent down to his knees. Not from pain, but rather, he couldn’t control himself. Burly put his back against the wall closeby, trying to make sense of the situation. Mighty looked at his brother, dead, his tongue hanging out. Burly didn’t know at what point he started crying. He had only just recognized it. Burly put his head down and sobbed as the battle raged on.

***

She had to get there in time. She urged the Element of Harmony carriers up the steps. The sounds of battle grew closer, but softer. She urged them to hurry. They trotted faster as the battle upstairs grew to a dim.

***

The last of Luna’s army, realizing they were outnumbered, Kept back and dropped their weapons and shields, putting their hooves up in surrender. The front line, unsure what to do, sent someone to talk to Burly.

The pony, the blacksmith, trotted up to him. “They wanna surrender...what should we do?” Burly couldn’t respond. He was lost in his own world. “Burly. Burly. BURLY!”

“Fucking kill them all.” he whimpered, before putting his head down even further, sobbing even louder. The blacksmith trotted back towards the front of the line, giving the signal.

“STOP!” Shouted a voice from the back. Everypony in the room turned to look as Princess Celestia, surrounded by the Elements of Harmony, held up by her magic power, stood at the back. Gasps and sighs resounded from most all the ponies as they couldn’t believe she actually showed up.

“Luna. Nightmare moon. SHOW YOURSELF!” she yelled, her voice reverberating off the walls, producing a bit of an eerie effect.

“So, my bigger sister has finally showed up.” said a floating voice, from no particular location. “Glad you could make it, Celestia. Mother always did love you best.”

“Nightmare moon, release my sister.”

“I’m afraid we’re one and the same, Celestia...”

“I see. Now show yourself, you coward.” And with that, a dark purple and black mist appeared from nowhere, producing Luna, Nightmare moon.

“This is your last chance.” said Celestia.

“Have at it, bitch.”

Celestia stopped for a bit. She’d never heard that kind of language from her sister. Regardless, she readied the Elements of Harmony and got herself ready. It would take a minute to charge, but after that, it was smooth sailing.

Luna disappeared into a black mist again, teleporting about the room. She wasn’t going down without a fight. The room started shaking as she flew about, making assorted things fall from the ceiling, like chandeliers and loos chunks of rock. Everypony in the room scattered about trying to avoid the objects. Celestia stood her ground, charging everything to her horn. She followed Nightmare Moon closely as she darted left to right across the top of the room. Celestia felt power surge through her as the Elements of Harmony gave their power to her. Celestia took careful aim, a bright flash of light blinding the room. A large scream resounded as Nightmare Moon, the only dark figure in the room slowly dissipated, disappearing into nowhere. Suddenly, the room went dark again, leaving Celestia and the rest of the armies standing there. Cheers resounded from Celestia’s army as Nightmare Moon was nowhere to be found.

“Those of you who sided with Nightmare Moon...get out of here. Leave and never come back. Now!” She said, anger arising in her voice. Luna’s army, a measly number, around three or so, dashed down the stairs, never to be seen again.

“Where did she go?” asked one of Celestia’s commanders.

“The moon.” said Celestia, a small tear welling in her eye. “Everypony please leave. I need a moment.” she said. And with that, everypony went down towards the main hall, celebrating their victory. Celestia broke down and cried.

“Luna...my sister...” she cried softly. “These will be the longest 1000 years of my life...”

As Celestia began to gather herself and trot out, she noticed one pony who didn’t leave, leaning against a wall, staring at a mangled bloody corpse. She trotted to him. Burly didn’t bother looking up. He was lost in his own world, unable to make sense of anything going on.

“Do you want me to bring him back?”

Burly looked at her, his eyes red and glossy. He nodded, the only thing he could do.

“I can’t do it without taking another life. Are you willing to sacrifice yourself for him?”

Burly nodded once again. Celestia’s horn started to glow as Mighty’s mangled body slowly began gaining form again, as he floated in the air. Burly didn’t care if he died. His brother was what mattered. Soon, his brother’s corpse laid in front of him, breathing. Burly looked at Celestia.

“I just wanted to see how far you were willing to go to save your sibling. We’re in the same situation.” she said, turning around and leaving him behind as Burly, overcome with joy, woke his brother. Celestia went down the stairs, looked at the smiling faces of the survivors, and left the Everfree, leading her troops back home. The sun rose as they left, symbolic of the hope that was rising. The battle was over.

***

“...and for the last 1000 years, Harmony has been maintained in Equestria ever since.” said Georges, finishing the story. The young colts and fillies of Ponyville Elementary, captivated by the story, begged for more. “Surely there was another battle somewhere?” asked one of the ponies. “Maybe there was...I don’t know. Make something up!!!”

“Yeah!” shouted the ponies.

“Now, now...” said Georges. “I’m not going to make up any battles. I’m going to stick with the truth. Besides, school’s been done for over thirty minutes. I should have let you go half an hour ago! Now trot along and enjoy the weekend. Ms. Cheerilee will be back Monday.” Said Georges, a little sad.

“But...we want you...” said Mac. Georges smiled, fighting the urge to cry. Soon, all the ponies in the class trotted up to him, hugging him. Some of them cried too.

“You were like the best teacher ever!!!”

“Yeah, you need to come back!!!”

Georges couldn’t hold back the tears any longer. He cried along with them as he suddenly realized he’d miss the class. When they all left, Georges gathered his stuff. Of course, Mac hung back.

“Mr. Patton?”

“Yes, Mac?”

“Thanks.” he said, looking up at Georges with teary eyes.

“Hey kid.” said Georges. “I’ll do my best to come back here, alright?”

“You promise?” he asked.

“I promise.”

Mac hugged Georges tightly, not wanting to let go. Georges returned the affection before Mac finally let go and slowly trotted home. Georges quickly changed his sad demeanor to a more determined one as he decided to take care of a few errands.