• Published 22nd Aug 2011
  • 1,580 Views, 13 Comments

The Forgotten Battle of Equestria - lilinuyasha



Everypony knows the story of Luna's banishment. Most people don't realize that there was a war.

  • ...
5
 13
 1,580

Chapter 1

“Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn. The younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects: all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one’s heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon. She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night.

Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: The Elements of Harmony! Using the magic of The Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon…”

“…And Equestria has maintained order ever since!” Screamed one of the little fillies in the back. Georges Patton, the substitute teacher for the day, was somehow managing to capture the attention of the young colts and fillies sitting in the room before him. History was his thing, and luckily, he was able to secure a spot subbing while the real teacher was out.

“That’s right. But you you DON’T know, fillies and gentlecolts, is that it wasn’t that simple!”

“What do you mean, Mr. Patton?” Asked one of the colts near the front.

“Did you know that there was a struggle? A war?”

“Woah…” Gasps of astonishment resounded in the tiny classroom.

“There’s not ANYTHING about war in the textbooks!” Said the same colt in the front.

“Well, everypony, just saddle up and I’ll explain it…” Georges cleared his throat and went on.

“After Luna and Celestia ‘discussed’ the issue, Luna warned Celestia that she wouldn’t go down without a fight. Celestia, sensing the truth in that statement, begged her sister not to resort to violence. Luna didn’t listen, however, and quickly vanished into the great beyond.”

” Where did she go?” Asked one of the fillies.

“No one knew until she was discovered after the last battle. I suppose everypony should have figured she’d be in the Everfree Forest. However, that land was far away from any settlement in Equestria at that point. Luna hid for several months, gathering followers. Some of the royal guard joined her. Needless to say, her support base wasn’t exactly big, but several ponies, mostly party ponies…” At this, one of the more pink ponies perked her ears up. “…those who enjoyed nighttime activities, joined up. Luna promised them money, all the pies and cookies they could eat. You know…normal stuff.” He said, looking at another adult pony in the back, checking to make sure his censorship was fine. “Everypony who liked the idea of all the bits and bites they could have, joined up with Luna.”

“What about Celestia?” Asked the pink pony in the back.

“Celestia didn’t need to search for support. She already had an entire squad of guards, minus a few that left her. Everypony else in the land either volunteered or helped the war effort by baking bread for the troops. They needed a lot of dough for their pie arsenal. And the Cake family was the biggest supplier of baked goods during the war.”

“Like the family in Ponyville? At Sugarcube Corner?” Asked the pink pony again. She was very interested in this lecture.

“Yes. It was their great grandparents that supplied the Celestial Royal Army with their supply of pies and food.”

“Where did Luna get it from?”

“Luna would have some of her followers bake stuff, but most of the time, she would send her Dark Troopers to ransack assorted baked good carriers throughout the night. Luna stole her stuff from Celestia. Eventually, this would be her downfall.”

“When do we get to the battles?” Asked the colt in front.

As soon as Georges started to go into the first battle for Equestria, the bell rang and History class was dismissed.

“I’ll tell you ponies tomorrow.” He said, smiling. “It’s worth the wait.”

“Awwwww….” Echoed the classroom. The colt in front was extremely disappointed.

“Don’t worry, Mac.” Said Georges, patting him on the back. “We’ll have plenty of time. I’m here for the rest of the school year, remember?”

As class dismissed, he gathered his materials and trotted out the door, thinking of how best to explain the Fillydelphia offensive.