• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 970 Views, 17 Comments

The Mailmare - frostfauna



Follow Derpy in one of her regular days.

  • ...
0
 17
 970

A Couple More Deliveries

Derpy landed in front of the wagon door. She pulled out the three letters for this stop and knocked on the door. There was an audible groan from within, and the sound of somepony rummaging around, as if looking for something. A minute or so later, the door opened up to reveal a blue unicorn with a long, white mane. She looked as if she hadn't gotten a decent night's sleep, and had just crawled out of bed. When she spoke, she sounded more than a little irritated. "What is so important that you had to disturb The Great and Powerful Trixie's beauty sleep? She has had a long night and she needs to rest."

"Oh, I'm sorry Trixie, but I have your mail for you," Derpy said around the envelopes in her mouth.

Trixie put on her showmare's grin, her bad mood completely forgotten, and used her magic to take the letters from Derpy. "Oh, but of course! The Great and Powerful Trixie should have been expecting this. Fan mail on her awe-inspiring performance last night. Let's just see who these are from, shall we?" Her smug grin fell from her face as she looked at the letters. "What? Just a bill? And what's this one, A NOISE CITATION!?! Why, of all the nerve... After the incredible show she put on for them, they send her a bill and a citation!?! Trixie doesn't believe her eyes! They should be showering her with adoration, gifts, and fan mail! This is outrageous!"

Before she could continue ranting, Derpy pointed out, "Um, Trixie? There's still one more letter you forgot to open."

Trixie stopped for a moment, shot Derpy a nasty look, then glanced at the last letter she had levetating before her. "Hmm, this one is from a 'Vinyl Scratch'. Ah, THIS must be the fan mail Trixie was expecting. Let's just read what this fan had to say, shall we? Ahem.
Hey Trixie,

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me use your stage for last night's party, it really is a great stage. You really outdid yourself with it all. The lighting was killer, and the way you handled those wicked effects, like the smoke machine, and the pyrotechnics was perfect! Meet me at the record shop later today, if you're willing to host another one of my shows. I have some new mixes I'm working on, and I'd like to use your stage again.

Oh, one more thing, Tavi said she'd send your payment in the mail with my letter. It's everything we promised to pay. Plus a little extra from both of us. Mine's for the awesome effects, and Tavi said hers was compensation. Something about the music being too loud for town regs. Anyway, thanks again, and I hope to see you at the shop.

From Vinyl Scratch

AKA DJ Pon-3
Oh, THAT Vinyl Scratch. Well, she should be thanking The Great and Powerful Trixie for use of her showstopping effects and marvelous stage. But where's the payment she said she was going to send?" Trixie turned the envelope over, looked inside of it, and reexamined the letter, but found nothing. Thinking this was some sort of joke, she started to yell at the mailmare, but before she could get anything out, she was cut off.

"Oh, yeah!" Derpy's face lit up as she remembered the package she was suppose to deliver. "I almost forgot, this bag is yours, too." She pulled out a heavy coinpurse from one of her mailbags, and dropped it in front of Trixie. It made a loud clink as she set it down.

Trixie's eyes went wide, and her jaw dropped as she saw just how large her payment was. Then her showmare smile was back on her face. "Trixie knew there were ponies out there who truely appreciated her talents. She is pleased with this. Thank you, mailmare." She looked at the letter from Vinyl. "Now if you would excuse Trixie, she needs to take care of a prior engagement." Then she glanced, disdainfully at the other two letters. "And clear up a couple of issues at town hall." The flashy unicorn used her magic to lift her signature hat and cape onto herself, then set off into town with her bag of bits.

Derpy smiled widely, knowing she had completed yet another successful delivery. "Hope you have a good day!" She called out. Then, to herself, "Ok, who's next?" She pulled out another package from her mailbags. It was wrapped in brown paper, and was addressed to the Ponyville Library. She put the package away, and flew off, heading to the large hollowed out tree that doubled as the residence of one of most intelligent unicorns she knew, Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight woke up to an annoying pounding on the library door. She huffed, slithered out from under the covers of her bed, and sluggishly made her way downstairs. She opened the door, only to be run over by an extremely excited Rainbow Dash. "Twilight! Twilight, look! You gotta check this out!" Dash suddenly stopped and gave her friend a questioning look. "Uh, did you just get out of bed?" Twilight stood back up, rubbing her head with a forhoof. All she managed was an unintelligible groan, before Dash laughed. "I don't believe it! The always on-time, miss perfect woke up LATE! Hahahaaa!"

"I didn't wake up late," Twilight said, letting her voice reflect her annoyance. "I scheduled this time to catch up on sleep I missed last night."

Rainbow Dash stopped laughing and gave her an astonished look. "Seriously? You actually SCHEDULED to sleep in? But how is it sleeping in, if it's scheduled?" Just as Twilight was about to answer, Dash stopped her. "Nevermind, it's not important. What IS important is this letter I got from Spitfire!" She held it out, allowing Twilight to read over it.

After a short moment, she had finished, and looked to her cyan friend. "Wow, Rainbow Dash, that's impressive. I'm so happy for you! Congradulations!" Twilight said.

"I know, right? This is just sooo awesome! I can't wait to get to Cloudsdale. Training with the Wonderbolts in real life, this is gonna be great!" She jumped into the air, looping and zooming around the library.

"I really am happy for you," Twilight said, amused by her friend's enthusiasm. "So, who are you taking with you? Have you decided yet?"

Dash was caught off guard by this. She stopped in her excited flying around the library, and hovered in front of Twilight. "Huh? Oh that. I don't really know, I haven't thought about it."

At this time, Spike came down the stairs, holding his blue blanket, rubbing one of his eyes. "Haven't thought about what?" He yawned.

"Oh, Spike, I'm sorry we woke you," Twilight said to him. "Rainbow Dash was just telling me about a letter she got from Spitfire, and how she's going to be auditioning for the Wonderbolts at Cloudsdale."

Spike suddenly seemed to forget all about his sleepiness, perking up at the mention of the Wonderbolts. "Wow, that's really awesome! Are you really going to be a Wonderbolt?" He asked, addressing RD.

Just then, there was another knock on the door. Twilight trotted over and opened the door, making sure to step aside, just as Pinkie Pie burst into the door. "Twilight!" She cried out. "Twilight! Twilight, did you hear? Rainbow Dash is going to tryout for the Wonderbolts! Which means we have to throw and extra-special, super-big, good-luck party!" Pinkie then noticed the pegasus in question. "Oh, hiya Dashie! Did you already tell her about your tryouts?" But before she could respond, Pinkie gasped. "OOO twitchy twitch, wrinkle nose!" She rushed up into Twilight's room, the others following behind cautiously. They knew to be wary whenever Pinkie had one of her little moments like that.

Pinkie was standing by the window when they came up, as if waiting. Twilight gave her a questioning look, glancing above her head for falling objects, and making sure she stood clear of the door she had just entered. "Uh, Pinkie? What exactly did you feel coming?"

"Calm down, Twilight. It's not like anything is gonna fall on you. Unless you stand in front of the window. You might not want to do that." Twilight heeded her friend's warning without question, which was unlike her. After her encounter with the hydra, though, she had stopped questioning the Pinkie Sense.

Pinkie waited for just the right moment, and pulled the window wide open. She stepped back, and just in time, as the mailmare came tumbling in. She barely managed to dodge Spike, but ended up crashing straight into RD instead. They rolled to a stop right at the edge of the stairs, with Derpy sitting on Dash's back. "Whoops, my bad," She said, giving her embarrassed smile to everypony in the room. Then she looked back to her fellow pegasus. "You okay, Rainbow Dash?"

Dash just groaned. "I'll be fine. Just as soon as you get up off my back." She stood up, rolling Derpy off of her.

Derpy jumped to her hooves, seeming unaffected by the little crash. Then she pulled out the rectangular package from her mailbags, and gave it to Twilight. "I brought your package! It's in perfect condition, too. Nothing damaged."

Twilight took the package with her magic, and opened it up. "Oh, it's my new book! I was hoping it would get here soon."

Spike jumped up on Twilight's back and read the cover of it out loud. "Sound Spelling: A Compendium of Sound Altering Spells. It came a little late, don't you think?" He said, dryly.

Derpy gasped, "What!?! It is not late! I made sure it got here right on time!" She looked at the purple unicorn, clearly worried. "It IS on time, right Twilight?"

"Of course it is." At that, the mailmare visibly relaxed. "Spike just wishes we had recieved it before last night. There was a big show, or party last night, and it kept us awake for a long time. He was only joking about it being late."

"Oh, I get it now. Ok, then. Well, I really should be going. I have to get to my next deliveries before they leave for the spa. See ya around!" With that, she walked towards the window, and jumped out. She didn't like leaving in a rush like that, but she had her deliveries to make, and time waited for nopony. Except, it seemed, for one particular pony she was fond of. She planned to have lunch with him, but she had to make all of her morning deliveries before she could.