• Published 16th Oct 2012
  • 763 Views, 2 Comments

Pathfinder - The Sumareian



Following a mishap during his first hunt Taliel find himself in a strange land.

  • ...
3
 2
 763

The Flight to the Palace.

"Come on, the flash came from over here." Bastion called out to his partner. Where were those pegisi when you need them. He and his small team had been trudging through the forest for twenty minutes and had yet to reach the source of the blue flash. "Theres movement in the trees." Whiterun shouted out.

Taliel looked at the creatures from above they reminded him of the beasts of burden he saw the humans use. Equines what are they doing out here without humans and what is with the colors? He wondered when one of them raised its leg and pointed at him. and called out to the others.

Taliel panicked drawing his bow, ready to silence the creature, he knew it could draw the attention of the razorback. He aimed for the heart preparing to kill the equine but he paused he saw this as an opportunity, instead of killing it injure it so that it will call upon the others for aid and he could slip away. he adjusted his aim slightly aiming instead for the creatures leg. Right in the joint it will be sufficiently injured enough to need the aid of the others. He released the arrow, it ripped through the air at a break neck speed and pierced the creatures leg. It cried up screaming in agony.


"Oh Celestia my knee, I'll never adventure again." The stallion cried out the arrow in his knee planted firmly in his leg. "Whiterun it's okay we'll get you fixed up in no time." Bastion ran to his fellow guardspony, inspecting the injury.

"You think you can walk buddy?"he looked at his partner. "Bastion if I don't make it tell my son that I used to an adventurer... Before I took this arrow to the... Knee." The white stallion started to sob uncontrollably.

Taliel looked at the now sobbing creature its companion seeming to engrossed in helping it up to notice him slip away. He looked back to Ember her breathing was now heavy, almost labored. "It's alright girl I'll get you fixed right up." He whispered to his pet. she managed a weak whimper in response.


********************************************************************************************

Celestia smiled and greeted the party goes for what seemed like ages, she looked out to the still growing line of ponies that saw it necessary to meet and greet her.

"Princess is everything okay?" Twilight asked. Celestia paused for a brief moment. trying to cook up a reason to seem distracted. "Yes, Twilight I'm fine, though I was wondering if you would be a dear and fetch me one of those tasty finger sandwiches from the buffet table, that would be lovely." she already that that would work, Twilight was to reliable for that to fail.

As she saw her faithful student head away she started to worry about what she had seen in the crater.What did he mean by Indiri? What was that creature and where did it go? she had to know she reopened the mental condit she made with the strange being named Taliel. What a strange name. she wanted to meet this being and find out if he was a friend or a threat to her subjects.

'Taliel can you hear me?' she knew her spell would be weaker because she had to still greet the ponies who had lined up in front of her. 'You there what ever you are tell me why are there so many equines about?' his voice was ringed with confusion.

'I can explain that later, there will be a lot of explanation on both our parts but before that I need you to get to me.' he told him. 'Where then I just got into the city and there is what looks like some celebration but a lot roaming equines....'

She lost focus for a moment when she heard Twilight return she levitated a small finger sandwich towards her, she acknowledged the gesture and grabbed it with her magic bringing it to her mouth to take a small bite out of it. Why cant this gala end a little early. she pleaded in her mind.

'Head to the palace its the large building with all the lights and decorum and the ...Equines.' she told the visitor.

****************************************************************************************************************

Taliel looked over the grounds of the palace he couldn't believe how irresponsible the humans were letting their horses simply wander around like nothing was wrong, and that strange one who seemed to call him out in the forest. he sighed he knew time wasn't on his side Ember wasn't getting any better and he wondered if she would make it past the next day, "Damn razorback filth." he spat out angrily as he tried to find a way into the palace without alerting these strange equines.

He looked around the gardens were always an option, though he saw what he guessed was a equine with wings trying to trap something, he couldn't help but laugh a little at the crude traps it made and accidently backfired on it. he looked down there was only one other equine that seemed to be raking leaves. this was his chance. he jumped down near the the edge of the garden, as he slipped behind a near by bush he watched as the the equine near the traps got more and more upset and started charging furiously around scattering a large number of small animals out of their hiding places.

Ember wiggled a little either out of fear or discomfort at what he was the equine laughing hysterically. she corralled the creatures to a large door this was his chance as the equine headed towards the door he dashed to the an ornate pillar adjacent to the building , as he rapidly scaled it he heard a sudden commotion.

Glancing back he saw several equines running out in terror. "Halt, identify thy self." Taliel paused. How could somebody have seen me? The only thing I've seen here are theses equines. he turned around to see a dark blue equine staring him down intently its wings splayed out in a threatening manner.

He jumped back drawing his bow and notching a single arrow. but before he could line up his mark his bow was ripped from his hand by some strange glow. That very similar glow wrapped around his left arm and lifted him up into the air. He drew upon his own powers as he saw the strange equine approach its mane flowing in some unknown wind.

He looked at the creature its horn glowing with the same shimmer that held him in the air. He pointed his fingers at the creatures horn as he released a torrent of wind knocking the equine back just slightly. it released its grip on his arm, landing he pulled his dagger from out of his boot readying it for combat.

He glanced back to the equine its eyes looked half focused on him, he glanced around trying to find an adequate escape route. "Taliel?" he paused Did that just... talk?! he stared at the talking equine before him. "Did you ... just.. Talk?" he gasped a little shocked.

"Yes, indeed we did speak." the equine nodded. "My name is Princess Luna co-ruler of Equestria." he paused, trying to remember the protocol for meeting royalty. "Uhh... I'm Taliel, pathfinder of house Black forest. along with my companion Ember." he placed his right hand to his chest to show his families seal. " Greetings to you then. Come our sister wished for thou to meet in her chambers."

"Halt, prithee me one request?" Taliel placed his pack to his feet and opened the top, Ember flinched in the sudden rush of cold air but could only manage a whimper. "My companion was injured and I fear she wont make it past the sunrise." He turned to Luna hoping she could do something. "We uhh... Are not certain we can help... But we most defiantly will try." She sounded nervous as she lit up her horn and surrounded the wounded pup with her magic. "We only know but the most basic healing spells." She sent several sparks towards Ember, who began to whimper in discomfort.

"Its okay girl ... here , its okay your going to be fine." Taliel stroked her as he feed her a dried deer nugget. He wasn't sure if he was soothing Ember or himself. "Is this thy companion pathfinder?" Taliel nodded to the princess, a lone tear rolling down his cheek.

"Please there is no need for lamentations. Your familiar has only superficial injures nothing that cant be fixed for the most part." Luna placed her hoof one his shoulder. "I will need to see a animal doctor for her injuries are not what I worry about." he stood up Ember curled up in his arms, she glanced around weakly, her eyes resting on the princess.

**************************************************************************************

"Taliel, so what your telling me is and let me get this straight. That creature , that got away can corrupt anything that gets near it." Celestia paced pass him, Taliel could tell she was worried, as they all should be. "Yes, but it will only corrupt those touched by magic at first then everything or pony else." He struggled with the last part. He had learned that both Luna and her were the controllers of both day and night, as well as the rulers of a nation populated mostly by ponies.

"Sister thou didst inform him that all creatures here are magical correct?" Taliel paused and stared at Luna in horror. "All of them?... Then, By the Rider we have little time to waste." He sprang from the couch and started for his bow. "What do you mean, you said it will take time to spread." the sun goddess looked at him. "Yes I did but this scourge beast can infect numerous beings at once, and it can track the magic inside of untainted ones. This city is nothing more then a flame to moths."

Both princesses looked to each other hen back to him. "What can we do then Taliel, to defend ourselves?" He stood up and walked to the window. "The same thing my people are doing.... We fight. Every.. pony, must defend your homes and loved ones." He looked out hopelessly over the city.What am I saying they are not warriors, they are but artisans and simple..folk. He lifted his head glaring to the forest. "You said it ran away from the city?" Taliel turned to face Celestia.

"Yes from what i could tell it looked injured and fled." She nodded. "Then we need to prepare this city immediately. For all we know there are now dozens of those things running amok out there." He glanced down to Ember who was resting on a pillow sleeping. "And I need to get her to a doctor." he pointed to Ember as he reached into his pocket to produce one of the spines the razorback had hit him with. its smooth black chitinous shell the small venom sack at the end, he marveled at how light it was.

"We must prepare, but we cant cause a panic, assemble your best warriors. Swear them to secrecy and.... Be ready to see some of them fall." Taliel looked to the princesses. "I'm going to be blunt, I can make no promises that will be enough."