• Published 11th Oct 2012
  • 1,895 Views, 208 Comments

Arc Angel - Valorousspectre



Adventure, Power, Corruption, Grim sort of thing, Not a paradise

  • ...
12
 208
 1,895

Dinner with the Clydesdales.

It's not often that I'm left not knowing what to do. Normally, the answer is right in front of me, and I have no problem acting as soon as I can, doing what's necessary or required. It's not terribly difficult when you think about it. Most times, the answer is right in front of our faces, staring at us without any semblance of even an attempt of hiding. And, as a guard who's been on both patrol duty in the castle and in the city itself of Canterlot, I've been in pretty much every situation that could be called for including, but not limited to, making split second decisions to save other ponies' lives. It's a dangerous life, that of a royal guard and I won't ever deny it. Many a guard has fallen, especially the more foolhardy, headstrong ones. A guard is not a guard if he cannot curb his urge to plunge into battle or curtail his stupidity enough to think something through without getting himself or anypony else with him hurt or killed. You learn to think on your hooves, consider all possibilities and decide on the best course of action in a matter of milliseconds, the electrical impulses of the brain hastened by adrenaline, experience and finely tuned instincts. If you live past your first year in the core, you'll turn out just fine, or resign before the next month is out. it's just that simple.

But I have never, ever been in a situation like this. When I said I was doomed before, I had no idea what was to come.

Now I'm officially doomed. I have no idea how to react to this at all, nor how I'm meant to act.

After I had apologised, and rather profusely at that, My hostess had perked up and told me it was all okay, that it was but a misunderstanding. She proceeded to unshackle me and lead me around her entire household, taking delight in showing me everything except her room, which she deliberately left out of the tour. Right now she was taking me into, believe it or not, the final spot of the house she was willing to show me.

"And this of course is the dining room!"

It was a simple room with a large, rectangular table. A very large rectangular table, easily big enough to fit in with an army camp, I swear. I'm curious, however, about why exactly a mare living on her own would need such a massive table. I doubt even the guard corps would use such a massive table. It's absurd! A banquet table with room to spare is what it really is. The decor is plain, very simple. the wooden walls indicated that the room was on the edge of the house.

"Okay! Now that you know the house, You're ready to join us all for dinner!"

What.

I stared at her for a long moment until I found my voice again.

"I'm sorry, what? Me? Dinner?"

She nodded enthusiastically with a smile.

"Of course! All the family is coming down for our weekly reunion! We do it every week!"

Reunion? An annual reunion!? And she wanted me to join them!? She only just met me! Not to mention I insulted her, yelled at her and was basically the worst house guest on the planet and she was inviting me to dinner? With the family? What is this, a freaking dating video on fast forward? And a really bad one at that. Maybe a soap opera? Ugh, this is absurd!

"Uh," I started, not sure how to put this, "I appreciate the gesture but... I'm afraid I must decline."

The look this mare before me gave me, the mare at least a foot taller than I am and even bulkier than I am if you can believe that (not to say she's fat, because she's not) gave me the most heartbroken, saddest puppy eyes I have ever seen before in my life. But I am a guard! I'm a royal guard! A powerful, strong willed! I will endure!

"Look, I'm not trying to be rude I just... I have to get going soon, I'm just so... I have so many places... I'm just... Oh alright!"

Dammit.

~*~

In my experience, which is very little, of dating, meeting the parents is the worst part. Or at least, I find it that way. That is NOT to say I'm seeing this as a date, because it's certainly not. But it's a little like that. If I could manage to get a filly to like me enough, or be curious enough, to go out on a date with me and keep the relationship long enough, I'd always mess everything up at the dinner with the parents. It was always meeting their parents though, never the other way around. Before dad was put in a coma, where he's been for the past year or two (With frequent physio, so when he wakes up his muscles haven't atrophied,) Whenever I brought a filly to meet him, he'd be all smiles and pride, always telling me that I'd done well. My dad's a great guy. Always has been, always will be. He always flattered my date silly and the ones he really liked ended up with gifts most times.

My dates adored my dad.

On the flipside...

Most times, the filly in question's father took a dislike to me. I was polite, dressed when appropriate and anything else needed, but for some reason, the father always took a dislike to some aspect of my life. Most of them thought, I think, that the scrawny Royal Guard in his first year couldn't protect or provide for their daughter, and I'm fairly certain that some of them just thought this scrawny pony before them must have been a joke. I tried to be polite, I stood up for her and myself when needed, and all it got me was a swift kick out of the house, and a swifter and harder kick out of their lives. I know I'm not the biggest stallion on the block, but at least give me a chance dammit. It may have been a monetary issue as well I suppose, since guard's wages, although decent, aren't anything special. Ponies that earn money like Shade Touch does would probably be alright dating nobles. I know. He is dating one. Sugar Cream comes from a minor noble family of almost exclusively pegasi, including her petite self. And I'm fairly sure her parents fully approved of Shade. Who wouldn't? Shade might be quiet and have a haunted look to him that he won't explain, but he's courteous, calculating and fiercely protective, not to mention he makes a tonne of bits. Not to mention he cuts a mean figure in a suit.

How very unlike me.

At this moment, I can see the ponies coming in from town and can only assume that this is Moondust's family. I'm sitting behind Moondust, trying vainly to seem as small as ponily possible, to avoid attention. It probably won't work. In point of fact I know it won't, because Frankie, the hound from before, just pushed me up beside Moondust, telling me I had to greet the family as well.

Well shit.

The first to arrive was a bored looking mare of grey with a dull red for mane and tail. Her flank, which surprised me most, was completely blank. she had a bow at her tailbase much like Mondust. She was introduced to me as 'Clueless'. I was not given any information in concerns to her relation to the mare. But apparently, she is the oldest blankflank in Spurs Hollow. Not a terribly fun fact. Rushing after her was a small brown colt with bright, two tone blue mane and tail. On his flank was a wheel. Looked like it was made of stone. He said I was weird and apparently Clueless is his worst enemy.

What I saw approaching the house after this left me wondering about the possibility of sentient boxes.

A white mare with a red mane and tail streaked through with blue in a place or two, was walking next a moving pile of bags, boxes and cans. All I could do was stare at the moving pile of foodstuffs. Yes, I've realised it's foodstuffs. It was the damndest thing I've ever seen. Moondust didn't even seem phased! Like this was normal! The mare's wings, I've only just noticed them now, were tightly folded against her body.

"Mum!" She called out excitedly, "Dad!"

Mum? Dad? THESE were her parents? And where was her father?

"Uh... Moondust.." I said quietly, making her look to me, "There's only one pony there, and a pile of... well... groceries. And I thought you said your mother put magical splints on the broken bones?"

She giggled and shrugged.

"Well, she called in a favor. And no, Dad is under all those groceries~"

As it turned out, she wasn't kidding. When the pile of groceries reached us, what else popped out of it but a smiling pony head! Green coat and a dark, ashen mane hidden mostly under a large hat that fell over the sides of his head as well, his ears perked up through what looked like custom made holes.

"Dusty! I trust you didn't get in too much trouble while we were gone hmm?"

Moondust giggled and shook her head.

"Of course not! Don't be silly. Mum, Dad, this is Arc. The pony I found just outside of town that you helped heal mum?"

Her mother smiled and nodded. Her father looked at me and, to be honest, I couldn't read his expression. I was never terribly good at reading emotions anyway.

"Oh yes, I remember. Quite a few broken bones you had dear, mind if I ask how you managed?"

I didn't even think before answering, "Oh, I jumped out of one of the towers at Canterlot."

All three ponies stared at me as I suddenly became aware of what I said and flushed. Her mother spoke again.

"And... you ended all the way out here because of it?"

I hesitated before nodding, knowing she wasn't going to believe me. To my surprise, she shrugged.

"Oh well, I suppose you need to get thrills somehow. Unicorns. You're a strange bunch you are~"

I could tell she was teasing, but it still stung a little. We're not strange... are we? Maybe we are to others. I'll have to think on that someday.

Then her father smiled and a hoof materialised somewhere from within the pile of tomatoes, daisies and other groceries.

"Nice to meet you lad! My name's Crosshairs, professional Zombie hunter! It's good to meet somepony else who's not afraid to do crazy and dangerous things! I'm sure you had good reason to jump out of a tower, why else would you do it eh?"

What. Not even a question, just 'what'. Zombie Hunter? Really? Please, it's not like zombies exist. That's stupid. Zombies are just a stupid story told to foals to scare them silly, nothing to a full grown pony. Everypony knows zombies don't exist. They're imaginary, mythological, falsifications, poppycock even! They've never existed, and never will. Honestly, a dead pony or creature back to life come to consume the brains and flesh of the living? How absurd.

But I didn't voice my thoughts, I simply shook his hoof with a nod and a simple 'Hello sir'. He nodded to me and drew my attention to his wife.

"And this is obviously my wife, Twister. She's a nurse, so near everypony calls her Nurse Twister."

She smiled and nodded to me, which I returned. They were much more interested in me and more polite than both Wheels and Clueless, although I suppose they were adults and had cutie marks. Speaking of which...

Twister's mark was a pair of light blue hearts, side by side, although one was significantly larger than the other and quartered. A medical mark. I couldn't see Crosshairs', but I don't think I really need much more info to guess what it is.

Introductions to her parents being made, we parted and allowed them inside before Moondust stepped back into place, eagerly awaiting the next family member. I was pushed back by Frankie, who seemed hellbent on making me greet every single pony who entered the house.

Stupid mutt.

The next pair that approached made me do a double take. The mare looked normal, a mare in every respect of the word, but the stallion?

Pardon my language but uh... what the fuck is that?

He was orange coated, his forelegs ended in hooves and he had a very short mane of spikey hair, but that's pretty much where the resemblance ended. His hind legs ended in some sort of three toed feet, and his tail was... well, it was just that. A fleshy tail he could move independently to his body, and extensively by the look of it. It did have a tuft of the same reddish hair that made up his mane, but... Wait, he even has spots! White spots are occasionally marking his torso and he had a horn upon his head. At least his general physiology looks at least pony like. Hopefully I won't stare and offend him, or his friend. Upon the mare's back was a foal wrapped up in a blanket. With a start, I realised these two must be a couple. I've also discovered where Moondust's multihued mane comes from. This mare's side of the family apparently. Grey coat, white labcoat and a set of purple goggles over her eyes along with a pair of black gloves over her forehooves, it looked like she just came from work.

I was introduced to the pair by name. Apparently, Aunt Calpurnica and Uncle Oddity were quite the fun loving couple, and Cousin Candystripe was a very busy filly. Busy making a career out of being a baby, full time.

This is the weirdest family I've ever met.

~*~

They were not the last I met. But I digress, we now sit around the massive banquet table with, no surprise, a massive banquet sitting on the table. Tonight, as Moondust had told me, was the family reunion and thus, Taco night. The mountain of taco shells was rapidly dwindling. I myself had had at least five of them shoved onto my plate before being told to eat. I'm not the biggest stallion in the world, I do not eat very much at all. Certainly not five tacos! Just the thought is absurd. Around the table was the rest of the family, including those that I had met later. Moondust's other cousin, 'Prickle Punk', was a white earth pony with spiked up, punky mane and a piercing in pretty much every part of his face and three in one ear. I liked Prickle Punk, he's a fun guy who seemed to like everypony regardless. His mark was like a graffitied skull in red. It's pretty cool. And I hesitate to use that word for pretty much everything. Her rather strict Aunt Cavalry from the military. I was most comfortable around her, since it reminded me of back home with the chain of command. Mind you, she seemed a little... weird herself. Across the table from me was an old mare of green with a rainbow mane and tail. She'd been introduce to me as 'Grandma Gumnut'. According to Moondust, the entire family believed that this mare was a witch by trade. She's an earth mare though, how could she be a witch? Sitting beside her was Great, Great Grandpa Gravyboat, who used to be a gourmet, well known gravy chef before he lost his tastebuds in uh... I stopped listening after that.

And last but not least is the supposedly difficult to contact Cousin Ranger. Leafy green coat and bark brown mane, She seemed to be the most sensible of the clan altogether. She was an archaeologist, which beat Calpurnica's Coronary career, or Clueless' jobless state. think about it, travelling all over Equestria to see ancient ruins and researching our culture of old, aspects and relics that had been lost to time.

That'd be fun.

She's been glancing at me the entire time we've been at the table, but whenever I try to catch her eye, she looks away. I'm not really sure what's going on there, but I'm not really certain i want to find out either. I just want to get through this meal and be on my way. I need to get to Somerset Glade.

It occurred to me just then as I was filling my taco with fried daisies and lettuce that Oddity was speaking.

"But then I said, you might have the money, but I have the Snitzel!"

The entire table, minus me, erupted into racuous laughter and i hesitantly joined them, not actually knowing what was said. I spooned some of the sauce into the taco and began to nibble at the taco as I heard a complaint from Wheels about Clueless hogging all of the tomatoes. I'll admit, this isn't as unpleasant as I thought it'd be. The family seems pleasant enough, if not argumentative in many cases, and they'd all frantically shushed Twister when she'd started telling a story. Gravyboat had, true to his name, made some gravy, although I fail to see what gravy had in relevance to tacos. I caught the eye of Prickle punk and he winked at me with a grin.

"This taco sauce is perfection Auntie Twister," he called out across the table, making Twister smile.

"Thank you Prickle, I do aim to please," she replied, sounding quite proud of herself. He grinned at me again before taking a bite of his taco. Across the table, Clueless and Wheels had started arguing, this time concerning what was left of the mountain of taco shells, which had now diminished to barely any. I'd surprised myself, having eaten quite a few tacos myself. The arguing pair were quickly broken up by Gumnut and the table went quiet as Crosshairs tapped the table.

"It's great to be here with all of you," He began with a smile, "And I can't tell you how much I look forward to out weekly get togethers. I've heard some questions going around wondering why we're here at Dusty's lovely home rather than our customary meeting place, Twisty and I's home."

A murmur of agreement passed over the table, with Gravyboat simply nodding slowly. To be honest, I'm not sure he even knows where he is.

"Well, the answer is sitting at this table tonight. A few days ago, Dusty found a young stallion outside of town. He was badly beaten up, and had more than a few broken bones."

Boy am I glad they're still looking at him.

"She brought him home, gave him a place to stay out of the goodness of her kind heart, and called for her mother to help treat him. Thanks to our hard work, he's made quite the recovery. Ladies and Gentlecolts, it's my pleasure to welcome Arc to our reunion."

All eyes turned to me, and all I wanted to do at that moment was sink through the floor and never be seen again.

"Even though he's not family, and even though he's not been around long, we welcome him, as any good pony should. We welcome him to our table, and give him welcome to our food, because what are friends but extended family?"

He picked up his glass, half filled with water, like the rest of the table. They'd been set out at the beginning of the meal, and Moondust told me not to touch it under any circumstances until such a time as she said I could. It was now that she nudged me and picked up hers. I picked up mine hesitantly as he held his glass up.

"And so I propose a toast! To family!" He said proudly, "To us!"

As I watched, the entire table, even young Wheels, raised their glasses and echoed him.

"To family! To us!"

I've never been so moved by anything in my life, and it was such a simple gesture. For that one moment, everypony at the table had put aside difference, and had shown that, even if they bicker, fight and maybe sometimes leave for a long time, they still value each other as family, and they'll always be there when it's important. They showed they were proud to be family, even accepting Oddity, who true to his name was possibly the most odd creature I'd ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I had not raised my glass or drank, these thoughts distracting me and Crosshairs noticed me, probably noticed my pensive look.

"What's the matter Arc? Something wrong with my proposal?"

Again, all eyes turned to me and I felt tiny. i shook my head.

"No sir, not at all. It's a noble thing to toast... I was just..."

To be honest, I'd never missed my father more than I had just at that very moment. I wished he could be here to see that families do hold together, even when they bicker over the tiniest thing, like Clueless and Wheels, or put aside difference, like Oddity and Calpurnica. A family can survive, and these ponies were living proof it can survive through pretty much everything.

"I guess you guys reminded me of my family... or all I have left. i wish my father were here to see this... He would... He would have really loved you guys."

I felt a hoof over mine and looked at it, noting a leafy green hoof on mine. Ranger was trying to comfort me. I smiled sadly.

"He... had an accident a year or so back, slipped into a coma. He's stable, and the hospital is keeping his physical condition in top shape, like he would have wanted... but I miss him. Now more than ever."

There was a long pause before Crosshairs spoke once more.

"What's his name lad?"

"His name is Grey Steel. He's... a Royal guard."

Another pause before, almost as one, the ponies around me lifted their glasses and called out "To Grey Steel!" and drank the rest of their drinks.

I was in tears.. but that is one thing I will drink to.

~*~

Midnight.

I hate to do this, especially after everything these ponies have done for me, and my terrible guest manners, but I must leave. In secret. Again. This time, I won't be followed.

The room I'm in was the one I was originally contained within, and I was just finishing packing my saddlebags. I had my cloak on. I wasn't about to risk magic again, since the last time I'd done it (just after the feast) had resulted in a splitting headache and Nurse Twister telling me to take it easy with the magic until the bone is healed. I never knew using magic with a fracture even near the horn could cause such pain. Anyhow, I have my bags under the cloak, which feels like it's rolling off my skin all the time, even though it's not even moving, and I start to move. the entire family was sleeping here tonight, so i had to avoid a lot of sleeping forms. I passed Prickle Punk with relative ease, I guess he's a heavy sleeper. Dusty was in her room, so she was easy to avoid, and so was Frankie, who'd decided he'd best sleep with out hostess. Sneaking through the house was surprisingly easy, until I hit the front door.

"Arc?"

I froze and cursed under my breath. This was exactly what I wanted to avoid. I heard hoofsteps and a hoof tapped my shoulder. I sighed and sat down, just outside the doorway.

"Where are you going?"

I turned to see who I was addressing and was honestly surprised to come eye to eye with Ranger.

"I can't say. But I have to go. I've delayed enough already. I wouldn't have stayed had it not been for my injuries, and Dusty's insistence."

An uncomfortable silence spanned what felt like an eternity before she shifted stance subtly and cleared her throat.

"Can you take me with you?"

I was so shocked I had to do a double take. Had she really just said that!?

"What? No, no you can't. It's too dangerous."

She scoffed and looked at me, looking insulted.

"I'm an archaeologist, how much more dangerous could it be than searching Arcaeni ruins?"

Arcaeni. That's a word I haven't heard in some time. The Arcaeni were a super advanced race of ponies, at least technologically speaking, that lived millenia ago. Their machines and artifacts were greatly prized by museums and collectors, and many fortune seekers had met their ends by Arcaeni traps.

But this was not some old ruins.

"Ranger, I'm not doubting your expertise, but this isn't some old vault filled with predictable traps. It's going to be a long journey, and I don't know if even I'll survive it. You need to stay with your family, and do what you love best. I'm not taking you away from them, under any circumstances."

For a moment she was quiet before sighing.

"Okay, I see your point. I was hoping to finally find my pirate's treasure from following you..."

What.

"But I suppose you're right. But hey, if you finish your little quest, whatever that is, promise you'll come back sometime? Have dinner with us again?"

I smiled, genuinely entertaining the idea of coming back every so often to have dinner with this marvelous family and I nodded.

"Certainly, I'll give it my best shot."

She giggled.

"Good~ Because you're kinda cute, and I wouldn't mind getting to know you a little better~"

I started in shock and she giggled as I stared at her. With a teasing wink, she leaned forward and pressed an little kiss to my cheek and went back inside.

I sighed as I finally snapped out of my shock and left the household behind me.

Why was it always the ones I can't have?


So, a quick note here, the 'Arcaeni' are basalisk120's creation, used with permission, and Moondust and her family belong to this tumblr: http://ask-moondust.tumblr.com/ and were also used with prior permission. Spurs Hollow was also created by Moondust, used with permission. EVERYTHING NOT MINE WAS USED WITH PERMISSION! WAAAAARGH!