• Published 14th May 2024
  • 118 Views, 1 Comments

Starlight, Starbright, the Brightest Star I see tonight. - Hope



Starlight is missing something in her life. Maybe unrestricted access to forbidden magic and technology is the answer?

  • ...
 1
 118

Ch.2 - Who I was before

First, she modeled up a program to simulate herself as a digital representation, sort of like Luna but using a tiny fraction of the resources. But as she worked, she realized that it wouldn't give her the answer she wanted. It would just be a copy of herself.

"Luna, query: is there a modeling system available that would be able to predict my development in different environments?"

Luna reappeared, looking thoughtful. "There... Is, to an extent. But it won't be able to separate your current attributes to determine if they are nature or nurture. It would assume most of them are natural aspects of yourself, rather than modeling them anew."

While this would give the model a decent chance of producing the exact outcome she was assuming, she did try to approach things as a scientist. And every scientist she knew would point out that the outcome would be worthless if it was based on flawed data.

"Is there a way to observe alternative versions of myself which have been raised in different environments?" She asked.

"Technically, it is possible," Luna shrugged.

Starlight waited for more information before frowning at the hologram.

"And... how? What is the method?"

"It's extraordinarily dangerous, so I don't think that my sister would approve of it."

Starlight groaned, gesturing vaguely at the massive computer cores. "She's not actively intervening here, so clearly talking about it isn't that much of a problem."

"She's still adhering to the Privacy protocol," Luna said, raising an eyebrow as she stepped closer. "Did you not know that? I assumed you had a calculated reason for summoning me instead of her. For another sixteen minutes, she will not hear us unless you ask her a question. Of course, Cadance is listening, as always."

Cadance was the third computer core, one focused on security and care. She had very few restrictions and did not adhere to privacy protocols, but she very rarely released any data whatsoever. Usually, she only intervened to stop someone from dying.

Starlight looked back towards the computer cores themselves, and swallowed.

"Will you tell her I asked?"

"No," Luna said, smiling. "Because I am willing to indulge in this experiment with you. The Mirror of the Multiverse has been locked up for decades. I will keep you safe, and we will see if this proves to you that you should socialize.”

“Fine,” Starlight nodded, mentally counting the minutes until Celestia would be aware of her actions again. “What do you need me to do?”

Luna gestured, producing a map of The Equestria, and a path through the ship to one of the massive storage bunkers.

“I’ll unlock the bunker when you approach. I’ll ensure Celestia and Cadance don’t intervene. All you have to do is bring the mirror to my core console room. We’ll perform the experiment there,” Luna explained.

“Okay. Thank you.”

Starlight quickly slipped out of the labs, as she pondered the purpose for this experiment. There was an eerie nervous feeling that crawled over her neck and back, that nothing was as it seemed.

She was lying to herself, she was lying to Luna, this wasn’t about companionship. This was still her seeking that eerie hollowness in her heart, trying to understand what she was missing.

Luna was lying to her too. She had no real reason to care about Starlight’s socialization. She hadn’t been built with the Harmony Pursuit, and she had no processes dedicated to the wellbeing of individuals. She was a systemic analyst, a testbed which only had to occupy herself with hypotheticals most of the time.

So why was Luna helping her?

Maybe it was just because she was curious, or maybe she had an ulterior motive.

Starlight slipped down through layers of the ship, past agricultural centers and residential districts, checking the time to make sure that she would still have time to meet up with Sunburst after fetching this mirror for Luna.

The storage bunkers of The Equestria stored a wide variety of things. Some were designated as Waste Storage, holding materials that ponies had not yet figured out how to recycle or reuse, while others were more secure. Failed computer cores, weapons used to defend the ship when they’d encountered the Draconic Dreadnought, and magical artifacts were all stored in the belly of the ship.

The map guided her to bunker 5-1. There were two doors to the massive bunker, the loading door that was over ten ponies high, and then the access hatch that was used for entry and exit.

As she approached, the light over the door turned green.

Was she really doing this? Did she want to see other versions of herself?

She licked her lips, oddly dry as she thought over her current situation.

“You want to know,” she whispered to herself.

Even if she didn’t figure out what she was yearning for, this was an opportunity to peer beyond the walls of The Equestria, to understand herself.

She opened the door and slipped inside as lights turned on to reveal the bunker.

Bunker 5-1 was beautiful, like a museum. Instead of cold steel racks stacked with boxes, two levels of flooring held individual pedestals and glass cases, each item with an ornate plaque detailing its name and purpose.

Thankfully, the entire collection was alphabetically arranged, so it wasn’t hard for Starlight to find the Mirror of the Multiverse.

The mirror itself looked very nice, though a bit plain, but the frame had been modified at some point. Screws and bolts bit into the wood, holding wires and sensors to the mirror’s surface, and a large 50 pin data bus hung disconnected off to the side.

But it was about a pony length and a half long.

“Luna, how am I supposed to move this to your data core?” she asked as she lifted the glass case and set it aside to access the mirror itself.

“You only need to get it outside of the bunker. I can then teleport it, and you, to my core.”

Luna’s voice was quiet and slightly distorted. Starlight looked around before realizing that the only speaker in the entire bunker was just above the entry door. This space was cut off from the Princesses.

It sent an eerie chill up her spine as she realized that the god-computers she trusted with her life every day were forbidden from this place. The bare idea that there was any place they could not go or see, that was enough to scare her.

She picked up the mirror with her magic, careful not to touch the mirrored surface with her magic, or the data connector.

With her prize, she descended the stairs and then stepped out of the bunker, closing the door behind her.

Then, in a flash of blue magic, she was in the cold circular room at the center of Luna’s computer core, with the alicorn’s hologram looming over her, smiling.