• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,062 Views, 29 Comments

Research Logs - Coppercoil



Twilight finds a book written by a unicorn long before the founding of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,062

Canterlot

Canterlot

Twilight had gotten her things together, Spike had already packed. Twilight decided to bring her book, feeling as though it would be necessary, quietly hoping to find another like it. They boarded the train and left, their goodbyes already being said.

The ride was quiet, with so few passengers, Twilight and spike had their own car. Spike fell asleep beside her. The ride was uneventful, but relaxing, the sun setting along the horizon was a beautiful. Nopony would ever dispute the importance of day and night, but she knew that when the sun rose and set, were the most beautiful times. The sky appeared on fire as the horizon sped past. Twilight marveled as the sun shined brightly in the west while the night approached from the east. Twilight was between night and day.

When the sun was gone, Twilight herself began to doze off, she was awoken by the sound a train whistle. The night was illuminated by the the bright shining lights of Canterlot. Twilight got off the train, and straight into the bustle of Canterlot Market. The market was filled with carts, stands, patrons, and vendors. None piqued her interest, but that was plainly because none of them sold books. The carts and stands were loaded with exotic foods, vases with unique patterns, even jewelry of beautiful design, shining like the stars themselves. I should bring Rarity along next time. Twilight thought to herself, She would love to see these.

"Hey Twilight! Can we stop over at the jeweler's?" Spike asked from atop Twilight's back.

"Why? Looking to buy a gift for somepony special?"

"What? No!" Spike began to blush, "I was just hoping for a snack!"

"Oh. Alright then. We'll check if they have some uncut gems? Anything you wanted in particular?" Twilight approached the stall, wading through the crowd.

"I was hoping for an amethyst, but I've never eaten a topaz before!"

Twilight looked closely at the intricate necklaces and tiaras, their detail was staggering. They appeared more as art than mere trinkets.

"See anything you like?" A gray unicorn with a white mane spoke up from behind the counter. He was wearing far more jewelry than anypony should.

"No thanks, I was just looking."

The stallion pouted. "A snack perhaps for your... familiar?"

Spike smiled, "Yeah! do you have any topaz?"

"Why yes I do, straight from Pie Farms in fact." The stallion laughed, "Such a misleading name." He rustled around under the counter before rising back up with a red-and-white striped paper bag filled with topazes. "That'll be ten bits please!"

Twilight produced a small purse and floated the coins out with a purple glow. She was surprised and grateful at the low cost of a bag of gems.

"Thanks! So, are you studying at the academy?"

"Excuse me?"

"Your dragon." He gestured to spike, who was examining and eating the stones one by one. "They give them to those who passed the entrance exam, well more accurately, they are the entrance exam. My sister took it, She passed and brought home Claw. I saw yours and just assumed you had done the same. That's why I have these gems under the counter, also of course for when students pass by."

"Yeah I took that test, I passed but gave that up to study with a tutor. She's taught me quite a bit."

"She must be very powerful."

You have no idea. "Hey, do you have any business cards? A friend of mine loves jewelry like this, and I wanted to bring her along next time I came."

"Of course!" With a light-blue glow that matched his eye, he lifted a gray card from behind the counter. "Here you go."

Twilight read the card.

Oval Cut,
Jeweler of Destiny, Stone Fashioner of the Soul
Located in the Canterlot Market between Clay's Pots and Discover's Maps

"It was very nice to meet you Oval Cut." Twilight said politely.

"And you to ms....?"

"Twilight Sparkle."

"Ms. Twilight Sparkle, I hope to see you again soon."

Twilight left. "How are those topazes spike?"

"They're okay. Kinda minty."

"Is that bad?"

"No, just not what I expected, I thought they would be sour, like... oranges, or lemons. You know, stuff like that."

Twilight had often wondered what it was like to eat gemstones, on one attempt, she had crushed a ruby into powder and licked it. the result was like licking sand.

The rest of the walk was quiet once they had left the market. The streets were calm and dark. Luna's moon shined brightly full nearly every night since her return. Celestia had followed a cycle, she was just pushing the moon along a path. most night's it was caught in the umbra, but now, Luna takes care to let it glow, guiding the ponies through the dark.

"Twilight Sparkle?" A stern tone surprised Twilight.

Twilight down from the sky. A two pegasi stallions adorned with royal armor were standing beside Twilight in the road. "Yes?"

"We've been sent to bring you to the castle, if you'll please come with us."

Twilight had failed to notice the chariot these two pulled. She nodded before entering.

The chariot flew high over Canterlot. She could see the whole of the illustrious city. The market glowing with lights while the rest shined the light of the moon. The air rushing past felt cool, relaxing. In the distance was the castle, carved into the mountain, stood high above Canterlot. Twilight saw it as a symbol of Equestria itself. Built on the design of the old kingdom, but from the combined effort of all three of the races.

The chariot landed softly upon a balcony. Two more guards, unicorns, approached, "Please follow us." Said the one on the left.

Twilight complied as the pegasi flew off into the night. The guards were quiet and looked straight forward with stoic faces. This treatment was normal to Twilight having come to the castle many times before to study with Celestia, and more when visiting her brother at the barracks, but something was wrong. Twilight noticed that the guards were uneasy,breathing deeply, sweating, it seemed as though, they were afraid. "Is something wrong?" Twilight asked, concerned.

The guard on the left blinked and shook his head, as though surprised by the sudden break in silence, "What? No, no. It's just the p-princess would like to see you."

Twilight made a mental not of the stutter when the guard said "princess." Why would these guards fear Princess Celestia? With realization, Twilight hung her head. Princess Luna, they still fear her. Twilight pitied Luna, though she'd never say it for fear of insulting her, but even now, when she and her friends had saved her and worked to calm the fear on Nightmare Night, even the guards still feared her.

With the guards, Twilight arrived at large dark-blue doors that mirrored the sky with stars, and an beautiful image of the moon. The guard on the right raised a hoof, hesitating, before knocking three times. The two quickly lowered their heads and stepped back.

The door opened, seeming to suck the air in as it did. Twilight could not see beyond the inky blackness behind the doors. Luna appeared from the shadows, standing tall as over the guards. Twilight could see the sadness at Luna's sight of the guards. "You may leave, thank you." Princess Luna spoke in such a soft, somber tone.

The guards kept their heads low, and stepped away before rising.

"Good evening Twilight, Please walk with me." Luna asked

"Of course." Twilight followed as Luna strode through the castle. Though the castle was bright, it was so silent, even the foot steps of the princess made little more then a soft thud.

"I would like a favor of you Twilight." Luna said as she walked.

"What is it?"

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Sure."

"Celestia doesn't know you're here yet, and so, she still slumbers. Otherwise, she would welcome you herself."

Twilight nodded.

"I am about to share something with you and I ask only that you keep it to yourself."

"I will."

"You must promise me." Her tone became stern.

Twilight raised a hoof to her chest, "I do."

Luna stopped "Pinkie promise?"

Twilight was confused, "How do you-"

"We... hang."

Twilight shrugged, and did the necessary motions, "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

"Thank you Twilight." Luna smiled at the gesture and continued walking, "You know of course that Discord ruled Equestria long ago."

Twilight nodded,

"I need you to find out who he is."

Twilight was confused, "Discord is the spirit of disharmony. Right?"

Luna stopped, "Yes Twilight, but he is, or was, more."

"I don't understand, what more could he be?"

Luna lowered her head, "I'm sorry Twilight, but I can not say anymore." Luna whispered to Twilight, "You must keep this conversing between us, and you certainly must not tell my sister. Understand?"

Twilight nodded

"Thank you Twilight." Luna lowered her horn to Twilight's. A soft blue glow emanated. "Just in case." Luna whispered. Luna raised her head. "Tomorrow, at the library you will meet with my student."

"Student?"

"Yes, one who seeks to learn magic from I as you do my sister."

"I didn't know you took on students."

"I don't, usually, but this one is like I."

"How so?"

"She too was consumed by power, and now seeks redemption."

Twilight thought for a moment, "Do I know her?"

"I believe so." Luna gestured a nearby royal guard to approach with her wing. "Please show Twilight here to the guest quarters please." She turned to Twilight, "Good night Twilight, I will see you in the morning."

"Good night princess."