• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 566 Views, 3 Comments

Diary Of The Banished - DouglasTrotter



Two hundred years after Nightmare Moon's defeat, a unicorn stallion sets of on a journey to Canterlot.

  • ...
0
 3
 566

Prologue (Edit/Update, 3/31/2015)

As the last rays of light faded from a setting sun, so did the words of the book on top of my hooves. The clouds' darkness blocked out even the smallest rays of light from the beautiful full moon that rose in the distant horizon. I levitated the book off of my front hooves and closed its ornate cover. This book was one of a few, precious, so-called luxuries afforded to me. With the book returned to its place on the small oak table near the makeshift bed, I find it strange yet appropriate to reside within this cold, desolate place once more.

Books always had a profound effect on me when their covers were opened. Though some led to a realm for colts and fillies to fantasize about, mine led to knowledge. As a colt, the words within those tomes entranced my mind. Those around me, some of them my fellow scholars when I grew older, spoke of the pursuit of knowledge. They told of it being acceptable, yet my peers also warned about the dangerous allure of knowledge; knowledge, in the wrong mind and hooves, would bring destruction to the individual and those around them, regardless of how courageous their mind and spirit.

The harm that befell those ponies and creatures I met along that journey was my fault. Several stood beside me, ready to reassure my hesitant mind everything would work out in the end. Even now, I find myself amazed at their compassion, however, their compassionate emotions only cause me to wonder why. Why did I pursue knowledge so voraciously?

Otra. Otra, I'm so sorry. You were the one that tried to warn me most of all. Our time together was short. Though you gave me such wonderful gifts, it's only now that I realize the gift that was once so close to me is now lost. Those words of warning you whispered into my ear -- along the words of my fellow scholars -- were nothing more than a gentle breeze against the hairs of my silvery mane and tail.

"All are born with a desire in their hearts that makes them happy," I was once told, and it is now that I see the double-edged truth within those words. Instead of being a gift to cherish, my happiness is an unforgiving curse.