• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 1,536 Views, 45 Comments

A Broken Balance - Spell Bound

  • ...
10
 45
 1,536

Chapter 8: Taking a break

The children of Discord sat around a table eating the first good meal they have had in months. Dawn Star had combed his crimson hair back out of his face. Screwball and Derpy had tied their hair into a ponytail so their normally long hair, now even longer due to the months that had passed since it was cut, wouldn’t get in their food. Apple Blossom was smiling. Her hair was normally of medium length, barely going over her shoulder blades. However, her hair had grown to be long. She had a splicing of her mother’s and father’s hair. It was blond, with streaks of black in it in a similar patter to her father’s black hair with streaks of red.

Her father sat across from cotton. His long hair was over his shoulder, and despite his constant running, seems to have kept it orderly and tame. Even though he was inside he kept his long hooded coat on, and done up, although his hood was down. Cotton sat with her elbows on the table, fingers interlocked. Her hands up to her elbows were covered in long gloves, and her legs from the knees down were likewise covered in long socks.

“It’s freezing in these mountains, and yet to continue to wear shorts and knee high socks. You never cease to amaze me Cotton.”

“You know perfectly well why I wear these Spell, seeing as it’s your fault.” Spell smiled slightly.

“Aye. I suppose it is my fault. Have you found any use for those....gifts?”

“Yes actually. I’ve given life to the tree’s that die in our new orchard, kindly given to us by your wife.” Spell frowned slightly with sorrow. He closed his eyes thinking of his wife. He only opened them when a little hand pulled at his sleeve. He looked and found an orphan looking at him with a mix of curiosity and fright.

“Yes little one?”

“Um..mister.....what’s with your eyes?” Spell smiled as Cotton groaned. She was about to say something, probably telling the child how rude it was to ask such things, but Spell started speaking before she could.

“A good question little one. A good question, and one I’d be happy to answer another time. However I have some business I need to attend to with your caretaker Cotton and Cheerilee. Off you go.” Spell gently nudged the child towards the door and smiled as he ran out giggling. “You seem upset Cotton. Are you unhappy to see me?”

“A little bit. You disappear without a trace, not a single letter written, and now even though you obviously knew I was here you didn’t even write to inform us.”

“That’s because I couldn’t. But Cheerilee did know of my coming. At least I hope so. I wrote a letter to Rarity. And before you complain I can send one to her because Spike is there. Now, is there a letter for me?”

Cotton stared at him for a second slightly angry with him, but also relieved he was still ok. At the question of a letter she thought back to the unmarked envelope on Cheerilee’s desk. “There just might be. There was one on Cheerilee’s desk earlier. It was unmarked though. I’m sure Cheerilee is there now so why don’t you go ask.”

Smiling Spell stood up from the table. The rest of his family looked at him with utensils half way to their mouth. “You can keep on eating. This may take a while.” Spell smiled as they all grinned happily at him and went back to eating. Spell left the room and looked left and right unsure of which path to take, until Cotton whispered in his ear,

“Follow the smell of Cherries. “ Spell nodded and smelled the air and began walking down the hallway to his right. Several minutes, five dead ends and 8 wrong turns later he found himself outside’s Cheerilee’s office.

“Great help Cotton. Follow the smell of cherries, when cherry pudding is being made.” Sighing he knocked on the door to the office. He hoped Cheerilee was in. He didn’t want to go through her desk to find the letter and neither did he feel like waiting for her. Luckily for him Cheerilee’s voice called him into the room.

He opened up the door, and was greeted by the scent of Cheerilee’s cherry scented perfume. It made him falter slightly. It had been a long time since he had seen her, and was unsure of her attitude towards him. There were many who blamed him for the destruction of their homes, saying if he hadn’t preached about his precious balance, and just let things as they where, this war would never have begun.

“Hello Cheerilee.” She looked up from her desk. Several stacks of paper cluttered it up, and from what Spell could see, they where tests from the orphans.

“Hello Spell. I’ve been expecting you.” He raised an eyebrow at her, and then smiled.

“Did a certain filly get a bad grade?” he teased grinning. Cheerilee smiled as well, remembering this verbal banter they used to have back in Ponyville.

“Oh no, Apple Blossom’s grades are perfect. They’ve remained constant for five years. Then again she hasn’t been to school in five years. Maybe we should talk about that Mr. Bound.”

“Oh I’m afraid not Ms Cheerilee. You see she’s been travelling with me. Hasn’t had much time for school as you can imagine.”

They both looked at each other smiling despite the seriousness that hung around them. “I missed you Spell. Never a dull moment when you where around, with your thrilling stories, playful nature. Even when you became more sombre and began saying a Balance must be maintained.”

“And I missed you Cheerilee. I have a question to ask of you.”

“If it’s about a letter I have it. Somewhere. As you can imagine...” She gestured to the paper around her desk. “It would be quite easily lost in this.”

“Oh I think I can help with that.” Spell’s seer marks began to glow, and the stacks of paper levitated into the air, and began sorting themselves into neat stacks, before descending back to the desk, leaving a sealed envelope in the middle. “I assume that’s the letter?”

“Yes.” She picked it up and handed it over to him. “How long will you be staying Spell?”

“Oh a few days at least, my family need a good rest after all. I can entertain the little ones with one of my fancy tales.”

“That would be nice. It’s been a while since we’ve had a good story. Now if you excuse me, I have to get back to marking these papers. No rest for the wicked.”

“Don’t I know it?” Spell said with a smile, and left the office envelope in hand. He returned to the dining room, faster than he had gotten away from it, and sat down in his seat and opened up the letter.

“Dear Spell Bound
I was beginning to worry about you. I hope you are well, and I hope Apple Blossom is in good condition as well. In would be happy to accommodate you and your family for a while. Just make sure you don’t lead any Imperials, Republicans or Legionaries to our doors will you? We’ve stayed out of the conflict for this long. And when you do arrive, I hope you will tell me where you are going that requires you travelling so far through these mountains. There will be a camp half way up Mt Akosh. When they ask what brings you there, tell them “The Tribunal of Gem’s greets you”. They’ll lead you to me after that.

Until then my old friend, keep safe.

Yours Sincerely
Rarity

Ps. Spike loved the cupcakes. Thank you. It was nice to see him smile for real again.”

“So brother, where we heading?” Spell looked up at Dawn Star, and smiled softly.

“For the next couple of days, nowhere. We deserve a break, and Cheerilee is happy to put us up for a while. After that we head to the Diamond court. Now, I am to bed. This is the first time in months were I will be able to sleep without keeping watch. Don’t stay up to much. Come on Apple Blossom.” Spell picked up his daughter, who was yawning and rubbing her eyes, and carried her off to the room Cheerilee had given them.

==============================================

Spell was sitting in his bed, back resting against the headrest, legs crossed and hands in his lap. Things were so peaceful. It felt strange after all the time of running. It gave him time alone with his thoughts. A dangerous thing for a man who had ran from them for so long.

He looked over at the adjacent bed, and smiled seeing Apple Blossom curled up under the blankets sleeping so soundly. She was probably around 10 now. But in her heart she was young, but her mind was also very mature. A perfect balance between maturity and playfulness.

Perfect balance, such simple words, but hard to achieve. But it was what Spell strived for, what he desired of Equestria. And now, he had started formulating a plan. The broken elements of Harmony all wanted him on their side? Fine, he’d play their little game for a while, but only to achieve his own goals.

“Round and round I run and they follow. Little do they know who is really chasing who. One by one they shall fall to my plan. I will find a way to restore the balance. And you are going to unknowingly help me in this goal, old friends.”

Smiling to himself, Spell slid himself under the covers, and let sleep overcome him.

=======================================================

A day had passed since the family’s arrival. The whole complex was having lunch in the great hall. Laughter filled the air, and even Spell, who had his mind on serious things, found it impossible to stop a grin spreading across his face.

A commotion brought him out of his musing. A group of kids where asking a caretaker for a story, and the caretaker seemed to be out of stories. Spell stood up and walked over to the group. “Do I hear correctly and you want a story?” Spell looked at the group smile and nod happily. He looked around the canteen and called out “And what of the rest of you? Would you too like to hear a tale?” He smiled as he was answered with the sound of many voices saying yes. “Then listen well, for I shall tell you of one of my travels.”

Spell stood up on one of the tables, and the group of children around him sat down on their chairs. Once he was sure he had the attention of everyone in the hall, he began.

“Over my years I have travelled across many lands. I have seen many wonders. I have spent time among the changelings. Participated in magic duels against Draconians and Dragons.” He pulled out a small pouch containing a green dust. Taking a pinch and blowing it across the room, a green mist formed, which Spell could manipulate with his voice.

“Imagine this young ones, Imagine tall black shinning pillars of Chitin, Imagine Dragons flying above these carrying their hordes of jewels and gold. Imagine dear children glorious city hives, and creatures thousands of years old.”

Spell Bound proceeded to tell them one of his adventures amazing the children and brining a smile to their faces. He continued to tell his stories till night fell upon the world. “Go now dear children. It is time to sleep. The nights are not as safe as they used to be.” The children scurried off to their bunks and dorms leaving the staff to clean up the dining hall.

“You know Cheerilee won’t be too happy about them missing their lessons Spelly.” Cotton said as she walked up to him.

“Oh please Cotton, you worry too much. I’m sure she will forgive my transgression. Now if you excuse me, I must find my brother before he makes himself sick by eating too much.” Spell turned away and began searching for Dawn Star.

==================================================

Dawn Star lay on the floor holding his stomach groaning. He had just thrown up most of his after dinner dinner. Above him stood Spell Bound with his arms crossed looking down at Dawn Star.

“I warned you about eating too much brother. I told you this would happen.”

“I..................regret................................nothing........................”

Spell shook his head smiling. “Of course you don’t. But you have the night to get yourself together. We’re leaving in the morning for the mountains.”

“Ugh you’re too cruel brother.................can’t we rest some more?”

“We’ve rested to long. We don’t want to bring any armed forces here do we?”

Dawn Star shook his head before trying to stand up.

“Also....can’t you do anything about that storm? It’s been following us for ages?”

“Of course it is. We’re causing it.” Dawn Star looked up and saw the puzzled look on his brothers face. “The chaos is feeding your power, which is in turn feeding mine. Hence between your chaos magic and my chaotic ability of weather control without factories we’re causing this storm.”

Spell nodded understanding. “Very well then. We’ll just have to suffer it through some more.” Spell turned to leave before Dawn Star’s voice stopped him.

“You know she’ll want to come with us don’t you?”

“Of course brother. I’d be disappointed if she didn’t.” With that Spell left the room, leaving his brother to clean up the mess.

==================================================================

The Children of Discord stood outside the orphanage with their coats on and hoods up. Spell Was locked in an embrace with Cheerilee. Cotton was nowhere to be seen.

“Must you leave so soon?”

“You know we must Cheerilee. We’re causing this storm and will lead soldiers to us. We don’t want you getting hurt. Continue taking care of the children old friend.”

“Of course I will. It’s my job to. Goodbye Spell. I hope we see each other again when this mess is over.”

“As do I old friend. May death claim neither of us till we are old and grey, and peace once more owns the land.”

The group bid their farewell to the rest of the staff before once more entering the forest and making their way towards the mountains.

Screw Ball floated next to Spell defying physics as she so often did. “It was rather rude of Cotton not to say goodbye.”

“She doesn’t need to Screw Ball. She’s coming with us.” Spell Stopped walking and looked behind him smiling seeing Cotton Needle running up the path to catch up with them. When she saw them waiting for her she slowed down till she was a meter away from them and put her hands on her hips.

“Were you expecting me?!”

“Of course Cotton. I’d be disappointed if you didn’t try to join us.” Spell said with a smile before continuing walking. Screw Ball waved hello before continuing to float next to Spell. Dawn patted her shoulder and Derpy gave her a hug. Cotton sighed smiling, annoyed she failed again to surprise Spell. She felt a little hand pull on her skirt. Looking down she saw little Apple Blossom. Smiling she picked her up and began carrying her, following the rest of the group up the mountain.

“Well then. This should be fun.” Cotton said to herself.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long everypony. I had intendet to write so much more, including the story he actually told. But then I got caught up in my other stories and decided to save the adventures he had for a different story. Still, I hope you enjoy. I have no idea when I'll post the next chapter so stay with me.