• Published 17th Mar 2024
  • 509 Views, 46 Comments

A Heart of Crystal and Glass - Mani-Roar



Cadance loses her memories due to tampering from Queen Chrysalis.

  • ...
1
 46
 509

Chapter 14

Shining Armor avoided me all day at the Crystal Fair. That's not entirely true. I was avoiding him as well. Things had not gone smoothly for us after the meeting. Even though Shining relented to the will of the council, and begrudgingly saw the wisdom in persevering with the festival, he blamed me for… I'm not sure what exactly, but it felt like I did something wrong. Every interaction with him was draining and guilt ridden for me. I could tell it was mentally taxing and conflicting for him as well. We compounded the stress of being a ruler during a time of crisis for each other, instead of soothing it. Not much of a healthy marriage if you could even call it a marriage. I wasn’t his Cadance anymore, and his eyes let me know it every time he saw me.

So, we took the easy way out: we avoided each other.

Pell was more than happy to accompany me on the festival grounds. No fancy dresses or make up today. Just my natural self. Even though getting ready this morning was much quicker than usual, Pell still spent a decent amount of time with her usual fussing.

I sat in front of a large mirror - my typical spot while Pell worked her magic. Staring past my own reflection. Thoughts leaping around in my head, while emotions dragged me down. The cheeriest of morning sunlight beamed through the windows, practically mocking me with its glow.

“I’m afraid I don’t remember much about the last fair?” I admitted shyly to Pell, probably the only person who could understand my situation to its fullest.

Pell practically squealed, “Oh, don’t you worry. Leave everything to me.”

I did exactly that. Putting my trust in my friend to ensure I had a good time. Even though my heart wasn’t in it. Despite the celebration happening all around me, I felt like a stranger impeding on another culture’s festivities.

Pell led me by the hoof through the city streets. It was only my second time walking down this paved crystal, and the festival made the capital look like a completely different city. The streets were filled with rows of circus tents. Canvas concoctions held together by rope and wire. Strings connected each tent to the other making it difficult to tell where one ended and the next began, save for the change in color as you walked down the road. The real city structures loomed in the shadows behind this temporary festival town. Obscured just enough to draw your eyes away from reality, allowing one to live in the illusion of this fanciful marketplace.

I tried not to draw attention to myself. But, of course, ponies recognized me. I waved back and faked my best smile. Pell, bless her heart, didn’t let me wallow.

“My Lady, did you ever get a chance to try those crepes?” Pell’s breakneck pace left me staggering behind her. Or perhaps I was meandering too much. I couldn’t help but absorb all the eye candy around me. The smells of food alone were enough to distract me from walking normally.

“Actually, no. I never did.”

Pell gasped, and pretended to clutch pearls that weren’t around her neck. “They have a tent set up every year. Follow me.” She tilted her head left as we approached an intersection. Dashing down the new street, I saw what looked like crystal statues on sticks as we entered the food district of the festival. Speaking of candy, a sweet aroma assaulted my senses as I realized the crystal statues were giant fake lollipops. The sticks were supposed to be the paper base of each lollipop, all topped with a colorful plastic pop that looked too large for the skinny sticks to hold up. It was like walking through a forest of lollipops.

“Cadance?” Pell’s voice snapped me out of my trance. “Are you going to stare at giant candy facades all day, or do you want a real treat?”

I grinned maliciously. “Sorry Mom, I’ll be good.”

“Call me ‘mom’ again, and I’ll take you to the raw vegetable tent.”

“Is that a real tent?” Honestly, I’d believe anything at this point.

It was then I noticed the balloons. So many balloons tied to poles, tents, and streamers. It looked like this lightweight minicity could lift off at any moment. Perhaps the tents were already hovering a few inches off the ground? I grinned to myself at the mental image. This section of the festival was more crowded. Obviously the smells drew people in.

“Greetings, my lady!” “Welcome.” “You honor us by being here.” I heard such phrases many times as we threaded our way through the crowd. I tried my best to acknowledge and smile at each pony as I noticed them. I was somewhat surprised that they didn’t swamp Pell and I, trying to keep my attention and company. They were certainly star struck, yet gave us our space. Left us room to pass and carry on our way. I had assumed the palace servants behaved this way because they were instructed to. Trained to not impose on royalty as they went about their own duties. It seemed more accurate to me now that this behavior was ingrained in the culture of all the Crystal Ponies. I suppose when a community survives a shared trauma like they all did, it breeds a certain humility and grace. However, it would be foolish to mistake their politeness for weakness. They are a proud people. I could see it in their crisp and eager bows. A showing of reverence that always came with a knowing smile, and a strong glimmer in their eyes. When a Crystal Pony rose up from their bow, their posture turned taller, and their chest stuck out higher. They would fight for what they had. Never giving up as long as their Crystal Heart emitted so much as a photon of light.

I pitied the Changelings, and any being who dared cross them. Because when push came to shove, the ones left standing would be the ponies who shined in the daylight, and sparkled in the moonlight.

Lost in thought, I almost dropped the heaping crepe Pell shoved my way. Holding it like the delicate and tender pastry that it was, I was ushered over to a small table covered with a light purple tablecloth. Sitting atop was a tray of toppings each in its own neat little container: confectioners sugar, honey, hot sauce, and chocolate.

“Try it without adding anything at first.” Pell suggested. I nodded and took a tentative bite. I chewed thoughtfully and then my taste buds exploded in flavor. I don’t remember eating the rest of it. Only the sadness that followed when my plate was empty.

“You inhaled that.” Pell jested.

“And I thought the Palace chefs were talented. That was… that was… there are no words.” I could barely think. “What was in that?”

Pell opened her mouth to tell me, but I interrupted. “No, wait, don’t tell me. Because then I’ll wake up manic in the middle of the night and crave it. I’m safer not knowing.”

Pell cracked up and her laughter triggered my own. “I take it you want another one?”

I patted my already bulging stomach, weighing my options. Immediately glad I wasn’t in some skin-tight clothing or fancy dress. “Bring it on.”

I ate the next one slower. Dipping it into the variety of condiments and toppings with suggestions from Pell and several ponies passing by who also knew of the magical properties these crepes had. When my plate was empty for a second time, I sat back, finally defeated by food. I was ready for a nap, but settled for watching the festivities happening all around me. Families with their children, couples, groups of friends - the festival truly was for everyone. I was watching a couple a little too longingly. She had flowers weaved in her braided mane. While he looked handsomely rugged and disheveled. Polar opposites in appearance, and yet they shared a crepe under a tree together without a care in the world.

Pell cleared her throat. “Don’t look so upset. You’ll get wrinkles.”

I pulled my gaze away. “Upset? Why would I be upset?”

Pell shrugged. “It’s none of my business. I thought you’d be more nervous than anything.”

“Nervous?”

“For the lantern lighting.”

“What’s that?”

Pell put her hoof against her forehead. “Good grief, did no one tell you?”

“No?”

“There’s a tradition at every Crystal Fair. At first dark, we light and release lanterns and fireworks to symbolize our perseverance through the tyranny of Sombra, and our thousand year sleep. We celebrate the magic of the Crystal Heart with a splendid light show in the sky.”

I drew in a breath. “That sounds beautiful.”

Pell smiled. “It is. And, as per tradition, the royal family must light the first pyre. Together.” She let that last word linger.

“Oh.” Guess there would be no avoiding Shining anymore.

Pell nodded. “I guess somepony should have given you a heads up.”

“I appreciate it.” My very full stomach was suddenly feeling nauseous. “I’ll… I’ll be fine.” Was I trying to convince myself? I still had hours before sundown. Plenty of time to calm my nerves. Pell thankfully didn’t push it. I loved that about her. She calmly cleaned up our plates and gestured back towards the Fair.

“Come along, my lady. There’s still a lot more of the Fair to see.”

I smiled gently, trying to add some lightheartedness to my voice. “No rides. I think I might hurl.”

“How about the maypole, then? It’s just running around in circles.”

I mimed holding back vomit and Pell laughed. “Come on.” She dragged me up and we were once again walking at a breakneck pace through the crowds and back into the festivities. I did not throw up while doing the maypole. In fact, I smiled and giggled louder than most of the younger fillies. Pell and I got our faces painted. Her’s looked like an intricate spider’s web of sea-toned blues and greens. While I had vibrant swirls of glittery fairy wings around my eyes and horn. I sat patiently while a talented unicorn braided thick, sparkly ribbons through my tail and mane. The weave was so intricate, even Pell was impressed. I looked like the festival threw up on me, but I wore it with pride.

In a blink, it was sundown. I began to notice ponies preparing smaller pyre’s of wood while covering areas with sand and setting up canisters for fireworks. My nerves returned in full force and with newly added anxiety. Too soon, we were heading back towards the palace.

Attendants had already set up a multi-level pyre of logs and kindling. My mood was solemn as I walked out onto the hill cresting the open festival grounds. Shining was already waiting for me, his back to me. I must have snuck up on him, or maybe it was the decorative paint on my face, because he jumped when I sat down beside him.

“Hi.” I offered to break the ice. I immediately noticed he was dressed up a lot more than I was. Even wearing his honorific medals pinned to his vest. Versus me, in my fancy braid and facepaint. I probably still had bits of crepe in my teeth.

“You look like you had fun.” he replied and I was shocked he finally spoke. Was he smiling? At me?

I smiled back at him. “I did have fun.” My eyes scanned over his fancy military dress. “Did you spend the whole festival in the war room?”

His eyes darkened for a split second before he chuckled. “Only one meeting, I promise I had fun too.” He brushed the right side of his vest that had rode up just a little on his side. His good mood seemed to be holding, which meant that this could be a pleasant evening after all. I would have to be careful not to tip him over.

“I imagine this fire light show is pretty impressive.” I swallowed, hoping he was feeling chatty. SItting here in silence would be the absolute worst. Actually, no, it could be a lot worse. An image of his wrathful face screaming at me blinked into my mind. Was that a memory? Or imagination?

“Oh it is.” Shining looked wistfully up as the last bits of purple twilight fell over the mountainous horizon. Leaving only the stars and the shadow of those crystal hills. His voice became softer, as he continued speaking. “I remember when Cadance and I lit the first pyre. It was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. Second only to watching her walk down the aisle to me.”

I tried to imagine the wedding myself, but it was no longer me walking down the aisle. It was his Cadance. A stranger in my body.

In a moment, every light in the capital was extinguished. The stars looked painfully bright in contrast, and I could barely see my own hoof in front of my face. I was about to cast an illumination spell to see better when Shining’s gentle calming voice soothed my worries.

“We turn off the lights on purpose.” He said as he took my hoof into his. “Even the Crystal Heart is quiet for this moment.”

“Now what?” I whispered back to him. Ready to be led through the motions of this breathtaking experience.

“Follow me.” He said as we stood together and took a few steps forward in the darkness. “Can you feel it?”

We stopped as he let go of my hoof and instead placed a small dry piece of coarse string in my grasp. It must have been a wick.

“Do… I light it? Do you have your own?”

“Hmm.” He giggled. “Bring your horn to mine.” I leaned my head into his, and our horns gently tapped against each other. I felt his hoof on top of mine, guiding the wick to our horns.

“Isn’t this a little…” I began, but allowed him to jump in and explain.

“We have to conjure just enough energy to ignite the pyre wick, but not so much that we burn ourselves or each other.”

“It’s a trust exercise.” I said as I felt the warmth emanating from his forehead. The tiniest firefly’s worth of light lit up both of our faces.

“Yes.” He replied, patiently waiting for me to join with my own magic.

“I trust you.” I closed my eyes and called upon my magic. Thank goodness for the darkness, I couldn’t stand to look at his face if he didn’t say it back.

He didn’t say it back.

I focused on my spell, narrowing it, aiming it onto the wick and away from our vulnerable fur and manes. I thought about the Crystal Heart. Floating on its own up in the tall spire of the Crystal Castle.

The sound of a spark made me open my eyes. I watched as a small flame led down the wick. It traveled to the grass below us and down the hill we were standing on. I knew that thousands of Crystal Ponies were watching this leading light with me, even though I couldn’t see them. I heard their cheers and applause at the start of the racing wick, only to be hushed and replaced by an anticipatory silence. Our collective breaths held as the only sound was the soft hiss of the traveling flame fading away into the distance. At the end of its journey I winced and squinted my eyes. Expecting a loud explosion along with a brilliant burst of light.

Instead, it stayed quiet. One by one I saw what looked like individual lanterns lighting up. As if a candle was being lit for every single pony in the Crystal Empire. These beacons rose into the air as hundreds more per second illuminated the sparkling faces of the Crystal Ponies gathered all around the festival grounds. Soon the sky was filled with glowing orbs, flickering in the night as if the stars had come down to kiss the earth.

“It's beautiful.” The words escaped my lips and drifted off with the sky lights.

“The spell is called ‘firelight.’” Shining was still leaning up against me. To the onlooking crowd we must have appeared just as enamored with each other as we were with the light show.

“Why does it light with a physical wick?” I kept my eyes on the drifting lights. They clustered upwards and eastbound, creating what looked like a road leading straight to the heavens.

“Because the spell isn't cast with a horn.” He pointed out to the crowd. “Every year, each pony gathers the ingredients, the spell components, that make up this low level illumination spell. You mix up the ingredients in a jar and save it for the Crystal Fair. Even children learn to make their own in school.

“Who made mine?” I asked without thinking.

“Cadence did.” His back stiffened. “Months ago. I set it up for you next to mine earlier today. All of them get attached to the master wick.”

“Which the Prince and Princess light together as a show of harmony.” I said, feeling like a child being told about her own culture for the first time.

“It's a celebration of the Crystal Ponies deliverance out of darkness. And it's also a memorial for the thousand years that were lost to the tyranny of Sombra.”

“Are the firelights floating in their jars?” I didn’t have anything to say about Sombra, and didn’t want to hear more about him at this moment. Everytime I learned anything about the evil King, a pit in my stomach grew larger. I didn’t want anything to ruin this image for me.

“No.” Shining snickered at me.

I felt my face heat up. “It’s a legitimate question! Don’t be a prick.” I folded my arms in protest.

“My bad.” He was still giggling. “It’s just that you, well actually she, asked the same question back at the first festival.”

“Oh.” Was all I could think to say. At least he was willing to think of me separate from Cadance.

“Once lit, the firelights rise out of their jars and float away. Like naked souls drifting off into eternity.” He glanced at me out of the side of his eye. “To answer your question.”

“That’s very poetic of you.”

He smiled. “You’re welcome.” He turned his head away from the firelights to look at my confused face. “I got that poetic line from Cadance.”

“Well, I hope I can inspire you like that again.” I squeezed his hoof, and to my delight, he squeezed it back.

“Me too.” He said as we both watched on in silence. I didn’t mind the quiet anymore. The firelights danced away from us until the sky was a distant kite with a tail as long as the horizon. Everyone maintained a reverent silence as the far off lights faded, leaving us in contemplative darkness once more.

“Is it over?” I asked with the sadness of a child who had run out of treats.

“Actually there’s going to be fireworks next. I’m surprised they haven’t started yet.” Shining looked around confused, at least I think he did. It was almost impossible to make out his face anymore, much less the rest of the crowd. I looked out at the horizon. But all of the firelights had vanished from the sky. I guess they burned out or drifted too far away.

“Shining?” I asked as an uncomfortable tingling sensation drifted down my spine. Something wasn’t right.

“There was probably just some sort of delay. I’m sure the fireworks will start up any moment.” He sounded confident, but I could hear the nervous chatter of the crowd completely cast in darkness like the rest of the city.

“No, Shining.” I grabbed his shoulder to have someone to hold onto. To know he was still there in this unnatural darkness. “Weren’t there stars in the sky tonight?”

“Huh. That’s weird.” Shining’s comment was curious, yet still unconcerned. “Maybe the pegasi decided to put up a cloud layer?” He was digging for answers. His tone was unconvincing.

I sighed. “Ok, but when? And why?”

“I-” I could feel the realization hit him. His timber dropped as he suspiciously replied, “I don’t know.”

“Cadance! My Lord!” Flash’s unexpected voice right behind me made me jump. I heard what sounded like Flash colliding with Shining.

“Ow! What the hell Flash?”

“Sorry! I can’t see anything. I hoped you both were still here. I got here as fast as I could while feeling my way around.” I felt Flash’s hoof land on my shoulder. I touched him back and Shining did the same. The tactile reassurance was needed in the pitched darkness.

“Obviously nopony can see, but do you know what’s going on? Where are the fireworks?” Shining asked.

“Sir, I’m afraid the situation is much worse than delayed fireworks.” Flash was quiet for a moment, catching his breath, as we both waited for him to continue.

“The Crystal Heart won’t turn back on. There’s no power in the city.” Flash’s frantic words hit me like a flurry of blows.

“What do you mean the Crystal Heart won’t turn on? That’s not possible!” Shining demanded as I tried to cast an illumination spell. I could feel the magic coming off of my horn, but no light was visible.

“I don’t know, it’s just dead somehow?” Flash cried as the word “dead” tore open a hole inside me that I hadn’t realized was already there.

“Magical darkness.” I couldn’t see the two stallions, but their silence told me they were staring in my direction. I could feel the darkness covering my body, and infecting my essence. This unnatural curse blocked out all light from without and within. It was sickening to stand in, like a humid fog as thick as smoke and clinging to me like spider webs.

“Magical darkness?” Shining’s Armor’s voice sounded distant even though I knew he was right next to me. My senses were clouded in an unholy mist. “I think I’ve heard Twilight mention that before. It’s a very uncommon spell. You think this is an attack? I don’t sense any spells? Other than the obvious lack of sight.”

“You don’t feel it all around you?” I sat on the grassy hill wrapping my hooves around myself, letting go of them and gripping my own shoulders for comfort. “Focus on your essence. Feel the dark energy around you.”

“I’m a bit lost on this one, but I’ll take your word for it.” Flash chimed in.

I sensed Shining’s magic as his essence activated next to me. “I think I feel it. Ugh…” I sensed him shudder. “It’s very unsettling.”

“Maybe the Crystal Heart is still working, but we just can’t see it?” I asked knowing that my question was naive. I kept trying to sense the Crystal Heart. I reached out with my essence, but nothing was there. I hadn’t realized how comforting the Crystal Heart’s constant presence was until it was gone.

“No.” Flash wasted no time confirming. “I would have heard it humming even if I couldn’t see it. It is completely dormant.”

“Dead.” I repeated.

“Our fire and illumination spells are technically working. But the city has been cursed with magical darkness. This is an attack!” Shining Armor’s voice boomed out in alert.

“Sir, keep your voice down.” Flash lowered his voice to a piercing whisper. “We don’t want to cause a panic.”

I could hear scattered conversations from the citizens below us. They questioned why the show had paused. Some of them remarked that their spells and lanterns weren’t working. They were concerned, but not alerted to an attack yet. Reality hadn’t set in. But where were the Changelings? Where was Chrysalis? Only she could create something as evil as this darkness that penetrated my being.

“Captain, gather any soldiers you can find and prepare to mount a defense.” I heard Shining’s hoof tap the grassy hill authoritatively. “We need to find our unicorn mages, and see if we can do something about this darkness. Most of them are probably with the firelight team helping with the festival down at-”

Shining paused, and I instantly heard what sound made him stop. It was a noise I had heard recently and too often frequently in my life. In my nightmares. A constant buzzing echoing in a distant chorus. Nearly vibrating the darkness surrounding us. The sound of Changeling wings filled the sky. Their numbers sounded massive. Their legions probably would have blotted out the stars, if they could be seen in the first place.

“Mother of Celestia…” The dread in Shining’s voice matched what was in my heart. I heard the screams rising up from the populace. The horrifying reality of what was happening setting in on every pony, stallion, mare, and foal.

“We have to move!” Shining commanded, and I started to get up. I felt Shining grab me by the arm. I’m not sure how he found me so easily in the dark, but I turned to face his direction, even though I couldn’t see him.

“Go to the Crystal Heart.” Shining's broken voice faltered as he spoke. He was terrified. I had seen him cool and collected in battle before, but this time he was truly shaken.

“I have to help fight.” I felt his grip tighten until it hurt my arm. “I have to-”

“Cadance.” He uttered, and I froze at the sound of my name mixed with the raw panic of his tone. “If the Crystal Heart is dead, then the city has already fallen. We cannot hope to win without it.”

Real fear gripped me. “B-but, I don't know how to-”

“Cadance.” He said nothing else, and I couldn’t see his expression. I didn’t need to. We were out of options. We had no power, no vision, no shield, no chance of victory.

No chance of survival.

If I didn’t get to the Crystal Heart and figure something out, it would all be over before it even started. The Crystal Empire would fall to Chrysalis immediately. My thoughts briefly drifted to our allies. Where was Celestia? Where was Equestria’s support in all of this? We were left alone to defend ourselves, because Equestria’s great Princess couldn’t get off of her sunbutt and do something.

“Give ‘em hell, Shining.” I said and he let go of my arm. I could hear the grin in his voice.

“They'll get more than that from us.” Shining declared and trotted off.

“Good luck, Cadance.” Flash said before joining his Prince. The Changeling’s were so close now, I could hear their hissing. I imagined their greedy saliva drenched fangs eager to feast on the unsuspecting population whose hearts were undoubtedly overflowing with love from the ceremony. A feast for the descending masses.

****

Author's Note:

Best song to pair with this chapter:

Vylet Pony - Fall of the Empire