• Published 9th Mar 2024
  • 754 Views, 43 Comments

The Princess and The Peasant - DapperLilArts



The humble Peasant farmer Applejack has to travel across the kingdom to rescue Princess Rarity, for a chance to save her farm and family. Surely these two could never form an inseparable bond in this journey?

  • ...
5
 43
 754

The River of Fireflies

CHAPTER 7

✨THE RIVER OF FIREFLIES✨


To Prince Blueblood, there was simply no distinction between a minor inconvenience and an inconvenience. He reacted to any form of adversity with the same level of distaste that someone who considers themselves above everything would.

And of course, it would always be his subject’s problems more than his, if he ever threw a fit over any of those “inconveniences.”

“You have got to be jesting me! That filthy Peasant is still alive, with MY Princess in her filthy grasp, even after the bounty?? Oh, woe is me, my beautiful Rarity, on the hands of that brute!! I am simply bereft of patience!!” Lounging tragically on his throne, the Prince expressed his distaste.

The poor messenger that was just relaying the news was simply too tired to deal with this, but had no choice. “Well, sire, there is also the news that some guards from a town not very far from here were… ‘overpowered’ by the peasant, and they reported that the Princess was following her willingly…?”

The Prince, in his throne, waved his overly groomed mane around. “Bah! Those fools. There is no way a Princess would ever as much as breathe the same air as that filthy peasant; who has taken way longer on the return trip. Surely she is up to something– Holding my bride hostage, no doubt!!” His dainty little breakable hooves dismissed the thought.

The messenger simply shrugged, exhausted. “W-well I presume they had no reason to lie, sire. In any case, neither the Peasant or the Princess were spotted in the town after the alarm was raised. They must be arriving shortly…?”

The Prince ignored the exhausted messenger. “Oh, my poor golf course… I cannot believe I may actually have to fulfill my end of the deal to that disrespectful oath of a commoner– To think she even survived the way there, and back!! She must have used a lifetime’s worth of luck…!”

“...Am I dismissed?” The tired groans of a worker who wished to be anywhere else.

Lounging on his throne, Blueblood was utterly disinterested in the dirt before him. “Hmpf. Perhaps I will get my golf course yet– If that Commoner insists on simply galavanting around the countryside with my bride!! Hmm, the deadline is in a week… But maybe I could…”

The messenger started quietly shuffling backwards in hopes that he could simply leave.

Another scoff and another groan from his majesty. “Oh, but this is simply dreadful. To think I’d actually have to pay that ruffian, that dirty commoner, that– Why, I’d rather pay an assassin than pay her!!”

And then he stopped, and a smile appeared in his dainty lips.

“Oh yes. Now there is an idea…”

He clapped his hooves, in both celebration of the would-be-death of Applejack, and also to summon aid to beckon his new ‘champion’.


Rarity had always been a planner, all her life.

And now, she was in love. These two were not mutually exclusive.

If there was something she wanted, Rarity was certain that with just enough planning and hard work, she could get it, no matter how hard it was. And now…

Even as she was in the comfortable embrace of Applejack, relieved to have the real one in her arms, in the light of day, simply leaning on her, her mind already raced with ideas, plans, plots, even.

She wanted her Knight’s heart all to herself; single minded devotion. This wasn't about just fooling around anymore. This was serious. If she was going to be truly close to her, she would need more than just her usual charm and flirting– Which granted, was already an incredibly powerful tool. She would need to crank it to a thousand.

If she were to finally have her Knight, fully, she would need to pull out all the stops.

Applejack finally let go of her embrace with Rarity, not by choice, but by the simple guilt of not moving towards her objective; family. “Well, good morning, sugarcube...”

The Princess did not respond, her face still tinged with red, her mind racing, overflowing with ideas. Yes, it was coming into focus now, she knew what she had to do.

Clearing her throat and scratching her chin, the Farmer stood, with intent of moving on. “...Welp, we’re nearly there, y'all. If we hustle, we’ll get to castle Blueblood in two shakes of an apple tree. How about we–”

“No.” Rarity spoke softly.

Both the Peasant and the Bard's eyes widened as they looked at her, in confusion.

She fidgeted with her mane only slightly, and then, with all the composure she could muster, she spoke. “There is a town to the west of here; ‘The City of Flowers’ One I have a boutique in, plenty of the ponies there know me; If you wouldn’t mind, darlings, I'd like to take a detour, to visit it for a night, before we proceed to the Castle of Prince Blueblood…”

Applejack fidgeted. Anything that would keep her from saying goodbye to Rarity just yet sounded pretty incredible. But… “Sugarcube, the Castle is to the south. Wouldn’t this be a bit far…? We ain’t exactly swimmin’ in time…”

Before the Princess could relay her arguments, Pinkie saw through her, and spoke. “Hey AJ, when’s the deadline for your home to be bulldozed?”

Looking away nervously, the Farmer fidgeted more. “Well… We got less than a week, if we’re countin’ today.

Pinkie smiled, skipping about. “Well, that’s plenty of time then! We can totes afford to stay out here another day or two!”

The Princess did not waste a chance to add to it. “Please; you’ve shown me your side, with the festival of the fall produce, and it was wonderful! Let me give you a chance to see a bit of my world, dear… I guarantee you both that we will have a lovely stay; I know hotels, restaurants, even museums and other lovely establishments that I would simply adore to show you!”

Pinkie, who still had her eyes bloodshot of sleep deprivation, sided with Rarity. “Oh I could absolutely use some TLC right now, AJ!”

Did Applejack want to go? Yes. Did she want to desperately spend more time with her Princess? Absolutely. But… “Look, we ain’t exactly swimmin’ in money, our bits are almost over– And I'm still wanted, remember? I don’t feel comfortable walkin’ around any town right now with posters of me hangin’ around claiming anypony can bushwack me for a million bits. It wouldn’t be safe for either of us, Princess.”

Rarity fussed only slightly, but remained utterly focussed; not deviating. “Darling, the City of Flowers is as safe as they come; And everypony in it knows and respects me. I guarantee, that even if you were to be recognized, my word will be enough to dissuade them from making any moves on us. Besides– I also guarantee that during our stay there, we will not have to spend a single bit! And it will only be for one night, how bad could one night be?”

Pinkie nodded enthusiastically, adding her own arguments. “Yeahyeahyeah!! Besides, the day after, when we leave, we can go see the River of Fireflies!!” The Farmer groaned slightly upon hearing this.

The Princess's ears perked up, as she looked at the bard. “River of Fireflies?”

Waving her hooves around joyfully, the Bard explained. “It’s a beautiful river I’ve only heard tales of; it's to the southwest of here, a bit far! Not exactly on the way, which is why AJ elected to ignore my requests of seeing it when we were first coming to get you!! Despite all the AWESOME BEAUTIFUL stories i’ve heard about it!!!”

Rarity smiled. Another good idea added to the itinerary. “See, dear? Another wonderful idea if we take this detour! And if you would feel safer, we could wear our disguises again!”

The idea of playing pretend again made the Farmer shiver. No matter how much she enjoyed it last time, it made her terribly nervous to adorn that skin again. “N-no thanks, sugarcube, I’m good. I just…” She stopped to think.

Rarity stepped closer; not with charm, but with pleading. “Please, Applejack. It would mean the world to me for you to meet some friends of mine, but not just that, for me to have the chance to show you a bit of my world. You deserve more rewards than just a payment, and a quiet day in a lovely town sounds good to me, don’t you think…?”

There were many reasons for which Applejack would easily accept this offer. But the primary one that floated in her head was simple. If she didn’t, Rarity would be sad. She couldn’t bear to hurt her.

And so, with a sigh, but a smile, she agreed. “Well, alright then. One night, ya hear?”

Suppressing a squeal of excitement, The Princess simply applauded and thanked her knight. First part of the plan was set in motion, swimmingly.

“Oh thank you, thank you! I promise you, you will not regret this! This day will be on me!!” She gave her Knight a cheerful smile and a tight hug, which could have made her melt with affection then and there.

And so the three friends set off on their certainly impractical, but pleasing detour.

Rarity purposely lagged back, eyeing Pinkie. Next part of the plan. The Bard.

“Psst. Pinkie.” She beckoned, away from her Knight’s earshot.

The bard mischievously hopped closer, with a grin. She could deduce what this was about. “Sooooo, Princess. What’s the plan? You making a move?”

With a nod of determination, Rarity whispered. “Oh, darling, I’m making several moves. Listen closely, when we reach the hotel in the town, I have a favor to ask of you.”

Seeing the bard nod quietly, and eyeing Applejack to make sure that she was none the wiser, she continued. “Find a reason to leave me alone with my Knight all day. I’ll take care of all the rest.”

Pinkie nodded even more enthusiastically. “Girl, I already have a reason. Don’t worry, I got your back.” She yawned, then pointed at her bloodshot eyes. She absolutely needed naptime.
“Wonderful, darling. Do not worry, I’ve got the whole day planned out.” She smiled mischievously, before walking closer to her Knight. If all went according to plan, she would have Applejack all to herself before nightfall.

She hoped.


Much to her delighted surprise, there were no incidents when Applejack and her friends entered the town. All of the guards were joyful to see Rarity, knowing her by name, delighted to see her safe; And whenever they would wonder about her companions, she would gleefully declare them as “My bodyguard and my bard!” And they would accept, with a smile. The Farmer could tell that she was in the precipice of a world that Rarity ruled.

Despite even spotting a few wanted posters with her face on it, the guards were simply none the wiser, overjoyed with Rarity’s radiance.

The reasoning behind this being called “The City of Flowers” was clear immediately. Before they even crossed the gates, she could smell pollen. With the sun high in the sky, dozens upon dozens of gardens, windowsills, and even walls, were decorated with gorgeous flowers of every color. It looked as if every citizen did their part to keep the gardens alive and well, even if only a little.

Beautiful buildings of brick and wood, many with three floors, decorated with even more flowers, and immediately upon entering the town, they could hear music in the distance, belonging to a Unicorn, who was practicing atop a rooftop, his joyful song echoing through the streets to no one’s complaint.

Applejack had been told of the city of Princesses and Queens, Canterlot, and only ever wondered of its beauty. If it was even comparable to this town, she simply couldn't imagine it.

She watched her Princess from behind, her radiance on full display, as people from the town greeted her, and she greeted them with equal glee. Rarity had finally gotten a chance and reason to wear her favorite dress, sent by her family; a cobalt blue, mixed with white, adorned with beautiful jewels and flowing with the breeze.

One of the most staggering sights was a billboard with Rarity’s face in it; Something about prismatic fashion, Applejack didn’t take the time to understand, as she was just mesmerized with the sight. Her Princess smiled as if she had just heard a delightful joke.

And finally, they reached a beautiful and expensive looking hotel; And they stopped, at a peculiar sight. On the side of the building, the wall had a huge crater on it, as if a large object had crashed upon it, akin to catapult fire; Only a few ponies worked on fixing it, and the three friends wondered about its origin.

The Princess simply foregone any distractions and headed to the hotel entrance, in which she was let inside without a fuss, with her two friends close behind.

Upon reaching the reception desk, she happily proclaimed “The Princess of fashion is baaaack!~” which turned all of the bellhopper’s heads, with lots of smiles and greetings, and a pompous Unicorn butler on the front desk with a lovely handlebar mustache and a monocle beckoned her forward.

“Lady Rarity! What an utter delight to see you are safe, and back on our clientele, I presume!”

The Princess was absolutely in her element, while her two friends kept to themselves, Applejack especially, intimidated by the high establishment. “Mister Heatherlock, my favorite hotelier! I am here after a long, arduous journey, looking forward to resting on my favorite suite; If you wouldn’t mind me cashing in on my favors, of course! One night only!”

“You certainly look like you could use the rest, Princess. If you don’t mind me asking, who are your two guests?” He raised a cautious eyebrow, noticing the quite easy-to-notice tall and muscular Earth Pony and the hot-pink clad Bard.

Rarity was quick to secure her friend's integrities. “These are my most trusted travel companions! Applejack here is my valiant bodyguard; She’s the one that rescued me from the dragon keep!” She said, placing a way-too-friendly hoof on her Knight’s burly chest, who responded with a tip of her hat and a shy ‘howdy’

“And this here is my Bard, Pinkie Pie, who is writing songs about my journey!” Pinkie was still lacking full energy due to sleep deprivation, but it did not keep her from politedness, as she did a sick banjo riff, displaying her bardly skills.

The hotelier brought a cheerful hoof to his lips. “My, that is wonderful to hear. I sure hope Lady Rarity has not been too difficult in your travels!” He joked.

Applejack put an arm around her, following suit with the joke. “Oh, she’s been an absolute delight! Minus the occasional unrequested fashion advice!” Proximity to her knight made Rarity briefly lose track of her composure, and, with her face red, almost instinctively turned and nuzzled her affectionately in front of everyone. She used all her concentration to stop herself from lunging at her love.

“She’s a total bestie!!” The bard expressed, Pinkiely.

With a smile, the Hotelier bowed. “I expected no less. Lady Rarity performed a wonderful fashion show in our halls once; Which put us on the map and bolstered our business wonderfully. We’ll be more than happy to accept her and any of her friends as our clientele, free of charge!”

Rarity blinked, snapping out of it. “Ah yes, and one question darling, why is there a crater on the outer walls of your beautiful hotel?” Any question would help her distract herself from her urges.

Mister Heatherlock fidgeted on his mustache, reminiscing. “Ah yes, it is quite a bizarre story, you see. A few days ago, a manticore simply fell from the sky, crashing upon our walls! No one knows where it came from, it was simply there!”

The three friends eyed each other nervously, and the bard let out a chuckle. “Wow haha that is crazy I wonder how it just fell there”

“Indeed. But we were all lucky that Captain Sunset Shimmer was visiting our town that day. She swiftly vanquished the beast, saving us all! My, she was an extraordinary fighter; I believe the manticore cowered from her prowess!” he nodded gleefully.

Pinkie’s ears twitched, hearing a friend’s name. “Oh! Oh! That’s a friend of mine! What was she doing around here?”

The Hotelier shrugged. “I do not know the specifics, but I heard she was searching for three travelers. Who knows as to why!”

With a clear of her throat, Rarity interjected quickly, ignoring any more distractions. She didn’t care if the Captain was searching for them, or anyone else. She needed to get the ball of her plan rolling. “Well in any case darling, this has been an utter delight, but we really must be getting going! We have a wonderful day ahead of us and I certainly could use a real shower!”

With a gentle strut, The Princess was already pointing her friends the right way, before the Hotelier quickly called her attention. “Ahem, one last thing, Lady Rarity. I’d just like to congratulate you on your wedding with Prince Blueblood. I remember how you often expressed your desire to marry royalty, and it is a delight to see it finally happen. Congratulations!”

With a smile as fake as they come, Rarity chuckled out of embarrassment. Shoving her Knight forward hoping she hadn’t heard of that. She had. “Haha thank you very much, mister Heatherlock. We really must be going now!”

It was not strange, but delightful to even get a glimpse of how adored the Princess was. Applejack smiled, knowing this day was certainly going to be a lovely experience. She couldn’t help but feel happy for her; She was adored, and her dreams would come true. There was absolutely nothing that could go wrong in Rarity’s life from here on out.

She hoped.


“Well I'll be a barrel fulla apples. This place is darn gorgeous…!” Applejack walked around the hotel room cautiously, with wonder. Every piece of furniture and even the walls had this lovely wine red hue, and many things were decorated with a golden color that matched perfectly. The light that came from the admirably-quite-large balcony window seemed to glow in prismatic hue, as if it took from all the flowers in the city.

Even the ceiling had beautiful intricate patterns etched in the wood, the lamps all glowed with a soothing orange, she felt as if this was like a dream.

The three large, comfortable beds were especially inviting.

The Peasant was taken back, she had never been in an establishment like this in her entire life, and as the princess led her forward, she was told this room was theirs.

“I call dibs on this bed!!” With a leap of faith, Pinkie jumped onto a mattress, whose softness almost rejected and bounced her into a wall, something she denied by gripping the softness with her teeth, and allowing herself to submit to it.

With no qualms about being face to face, and close, even, Rarity approached her Knight with a delighted smile. “Do you like it, Dear? This is where we will sleep tonight…” She spoke, with a bat of eyelashes, which unfortunately for her meant nothing to her oblivious Knight.

“It’s real damn nice, sugarcube. I ain’t never seen anythin’ like it!” A genuine smile from the Farmer, as she scanned the room attentively.

The Princess waved her mane with a smile, and opened the bathroom doors. “Well, before we head off, I have the craving to finally have a proper bath. Would you care to join me?” The most mischievous beckoning smile came from her.

The request seemed a bit absurd, to someone as chivalrous as Applejack. “Um… no? Why would I do that?” Her face already flustering, as she looked away.

"Why wouldn't you?" With a tilt of the head, and a bat of the eyelashes, she once again spoke sweetly.

And yet, utterly oblivious, the Farmer simply turned to the other side of the room. "Hey Pinkie, Wouldya like to join Rarity in the shower? She's askin' for company."

Complete utter silence, accentuated with the bard's snores. The Princess regarded her Knight, dumbfounded by her obliviousness. "...Good grief, I think she might be dead." The Peasant scratched her own chin, regarding the exhausted Pink Pony.

Regaining her composure, she tried reigning it in. “Oh please, Applejack, we have bathed together before. What would be different?”

The Farmer tilted her head, looking at the bathroom from the outside. It was definitely a gorgeous and fancy looking lavatory, seemingly meant for Unicorns, with lots of instruments made to be used with magic. She had no experience with those, but she could easily spot the bathtub in question, one which absolutely would not fit the two of them properly, Applejack feared her oversized frame would simply break the porcelain; and it definitely would not be comfortable with two ponies in there. And also… Too close to Rarity.

“What would be different is that tub would break if we both got in it, sugarcube.” The Peasant dismissed the idea, much to the Princess's frustration, who would like nothing else than to break the tub with her.

Silky, desiring, passionate, almost begging. “Are you sure? I’m sure we could make a tight fit…”

“Umm no thanks, you go ahead and get gussied up, I’ll wait my turn.” Applejack turned around and headed towards the balcony, without giving that strange interaction another second thought, ridding herself of the fluster on her face.

With a groan of frustration Rarity closed the door, Immediately getting to work, trying to ignore her disappointment. This was only one possibility of getting closer to her Knight, she didn’t mind the difficulty, after all, she was well aware of how chivalrous and respectful Applejack was; So she expected an outcome like this.

Her plan was still well on track.

She took a warm comfortable shower, and with a bit of haste, too. Although the process of grooming and en-beautifying was often one she took her absolute time with, stewing on the joy of relaxation, this time, she stumbled on the edge of making herself more beautiful vs rushing so she could spend more time with her Knight.

It was imperative that she did not waste a single second of this potential final day she had with Applejack.

Outside, The Farmer on the balcony took a lovely glance around the neighborhood, feeling the cool breeze on her face, delightedly hearing the sounds of a violin being played across the rooftops. With the smell of pollen and sounds of hearty town chatter, she felt her troubles melt away.

“Hey, AJ…” Pinkie beckoned her from inside.

"Oh good, ya ain't dead." Letting out a chuckle, the Farmer turned back to face her.

All that the Bard needed to do was give her a look, and point at the bathroom, and Applejack knew exactly what she meant. “Ugh, Pinkie, don’t even go there. Me n Rarity are gonna stay just friends, ya hear? This might be our last day together, and I’m just indulging her with this day ‘cause… ‘cause, well…”

Blowing raspberries, the Bard flipped into a newly comfortable pose on her bed. “Easy, girl! I wasn’t gonna engage, don’t worry. I just wanted to say… Enjoy your day with Rarity.” Her smile was warm, with a hint of smugness; it did hide inner plottings and well wishes for the two would be lovers. Pinkie was fully aware that the collision between those two was utterly inevitable. But it didn’t make this any less entertaining, and she couldn’t wait to hear Rarity’s report at the end of the day.

The Peasant nodded, taking the statement to heart. “Yeah, yeah, thanks, Pinkie. Appreciate it.” Not even realizing that this meant the Bard wouldn’t be accompanying them.

But it didn’t matter. Applejack was going to have a normal, good day with Rarity, where nothing would go wrong, and she absolutely would not submit to her feelings. She was too close to let anything go awry.

This was going to be a completely normal day between friends.

She hoped.


“First stop, my lovely boutique!” She delightedly proclaimed, as soon as they both left the hotel. The poor Peasant had struggled on using the ‘fandangled’ confusing shower, as she’d put it, and she was still a bit too wet from the experience; But with the Princess’s handy blow drier, as well as some magical towel rubbing, she was none the worse for wear.

“Dang shame Pinkie Couldn’t come with us!” The reality of an entire day alone with Rarity was slowly beginning to dawn on her as Applejack followed her lead.

“Yes indeed, darling, it is quite a shame! Who knoooows why she lost sleep last night! But let’s not let that deter us! We must press on! It is what she would have wanted!” She could not contain her joyous smile and whimsy as she spoke, her excitement was very clear.

Once again wearing her gemstone dress, but this time, her mane was shinier and smoother than ever; She wore it on a side-sweep, Cascading on the right side of her head akin to a violet waterfall.

It was indeed mesmerizing. The Peasant was unsure if she was getting more used to her beauty, or was simply getting more comfortable around her.

Rarity gleefully pranced as soon as her boutique was in sight; giggling with excitement. Applejack had to hoof it to catch up.

The door opened with a ‘ding’ of the bells that hung atop it; and immediately, from the back of the store, they heard a pompous voice claim “We’re closed during lunch hours! Come back later!”

With a smile, Rarity shouted back. “How about open for a friend?” instantly met with shuffling from the back.

Taking a quick look around, Applejack could tell this place had the touch of Rarity. Dresses and suits of all kinds hung on the walls, on displays, on mannequins, and what's more, decorations were crystal themed, giving the entire store constant prismatic reflections shining in the walls. It was as dazzling as the owner.

“Rarity??? Is that you, girl?” A Unicorn peeked from the back of the store, surprised.

“That’s right, Sassy! I’m back!!” The Two Mares ran towards each other, sharing a giggly hug.

The Unicorn wore a jacket and makeup; she was lean and tall, and carried herself out in a similar manner to the Princess.“My goodness, Rarity!! It’s been too long!! I’m so glad to see you’re safe, I had wondered if anyone would ever get you out of that tower…!! This work isn’t the same without you, you know?”

That’s when her friend noticed Applejack, the oversized Peasant, just awkwardly observing from behind them, unsure of what to say. “U-um, c-can I help you?” She recoiled a bit, intimidated by the figure.

With another way-too-friendly hoof to her chest, Rarity bragged. “Don’t worry, darling; This here is my bodyguard, Applejack. She is the one that rescued me from that dreadful tower! Applejack, this is Sassy Saddles, one of my most loyal boutique managers!” The peasant did not recoil from her affections, just tipped her hat with another shy ‘howdy!’

Sassy giggled, shaking her nerves off. “Hahah, my goodness I am so sorry! I couldn't help but imagine you crumpling me like a piece of paper when I saw your physique. Rarity only settles for the best, eh?” A wink.

“You better believe it.” Biting her lips and nuzzling her Knight’s neck, The Princess had to once again fiercely contain herself from going further.

The manager did not immediately catch on. “Oh and may I say, congratulations on the wedding, Rares! You must be so excited! What are you doing all the way out here? Shouldn't you be, y’know… There?” Tilting her head in confusion, waving her hoof on a vaguely southeast direction, wondering why the Princess wouldn’t prioritize her marriage.

Applejack nervously shuffled slightly away from the betrothed Princess, much to her dismay. “Umm, yes. We’re on a detour, see? Rarity wanted to show me this town. It’s lovely, by the way! A-and this boutique, too, looks wonderful!”

Nodding proudly, Sassy pranced around the room, showcasing dresses that Rarity had made a while ago. “Thank you kindly; It’s the pride and joy of the City of Flowers!”

Rarity looked around, appreciating her old work. “Oh and I do hope Coco Pommel is alright, have you heard from my boutique in Canterlot?”

“Oh, she has been holding the fort! We’ve been very worried about you; I hope the news of your freedom has reached her already. It would bring so much relief to that poor sweet pony! But either way; What brings you here, Rares? I mean here. Right now. Specifically.”

Approaching her friend, Rarity took a more devious look. “Oh, you see, we are going to spend the day together in town, and I need to get my dear Applejack an outfit!”

The Peasant protested almost immediately. “Umm, sugarcube, I really don’t think I need another disguise! Especially no dress. I’m good! Really!”

Narrowing her eyes, Sassy was starting to catch on, if not developing theories. The word “dear” being used by Rarity, and that little nickname, “Sugarcube” were definitely interesting calling cards…

Rarity was quick to quell her Knight’s concerns. “Nonsense, dear. This will not be a disguise! It’ll be just a little something to help you fit in. And do not worry; it will not be a dress; and you can absolutely keep your wonderful hat! Sassy! Follow me. You stay there, darling!”

And so, the two left the Peasant to her own devices, awkwardly shuffling around the store, unsure what to do. She stopped at a mirror, and started looking at herself.

A tired, weary, bruised up oversized Peasant. She had a lot of new scars to explain to her family, when she made it back home…

Shuffling deeper into the store, Rarity set Sassy aside, and they both spoke softly, so as to not be overheard by her Knight, while also multitasking on picking up several clothing materials.

“Hey Rares. What’s really going on here?” Sassy raised an eyebrow, being fully aware that something very, very interesting was occurring through her boss’s head.

She continued working, focussed, but still had the chance to talk. “What is going on, my friend, is that I, Rarity Belle, am in love.”

“Oh, I’m happy for you! When are you marrying your prince, anyway?”

“Oh, no no. Not the Prince. I have yet to meet him. I am in love… With the Peasant.” Pointing at the front of the store, biting her lips, her whisper turned almost loving. Applejack stood in the distance, none the wiser.

With an eyebrow raised and a head tilted, Sassy responded quietly, and confused. “Damn, Rarity. You? In love with a Peasant? That sou–”

The gushing began. With her face red, and her front hooves wild, the Princess spilled her guts out. “You don’t understand, Sassy. I’ve never seen someone as strong as her! She’s protected me diligently for weeks! She beat a dragon in a fight like it was nothing! A dragon!! She suplexed a bear, a Manticore, even; She burst through crowds of bandit's and looked good while doing it, too-- M-my; She's simply unbeatable!! And what's more, she is so incredibly kind, and honest, and chivalrous, her heart is so gentle, and yet fierce– and she makes it all look effortless!! She has shielded me with valor and ruggedness and handsomeness and I just want to drown in the ocean that is her muscles–”

“--Girl, slow down!! Okay, okay, this is a bit of a lot to take in, but…” The Manager took a peek at Applejack, who was stretching in the distance, with a yawn. Her oversized body was clearly on display. “Okay, I can see it.” She nodded in agreement.

“RIGHT?! We took rain showers together. I had my mane wet with her. And I LOVED it.”

“Holy crap this is serious.”

Rarity returned to her work station, post gushing. She wasn’t just quickly putting an outfit for her Knight; She was also adding to her already beautiful dress and look. And yet, her ranting continued, as she posed in a mirror, adding to her previous look.

“Which is why I'm here, Sassy. Today is a day in which I will utterly dazzle her; I will show in all multitudes how much I shine, and she will be helplessly, desperately, unequivocally in love with me!! I am fairly certain she already has feelings for me, obviously, but it’s not enough, you see. I must have her. Heart and body! (E-especially body.) I have to completely take over her senses; I must be at my peak to have her! I will be her GODDESS and she will WORSHIP at my altar!!” She finished, manic.

Her friend let out a hearty chuckle. “That would be poetic, if it wasn’t so horny.”

The Princess took a few breaths, realizing how much she overexerted her flustered enthusiasm. From the front of the store, her knight called out, after hearing the over energetic rants, even if she couldn’t decipher the words. “Sugarcube, you alright in there?”

Rarity peeked out of the door with a nervous flustered smile. “Everything’s perfectly alright, dear! We will be with you in a few moments!”

She turned back to Sassy, this time, with a more reserved energy, but still, a captivating flustered smile. She spoke softly. “She is my invincible Knight In Shining Armor, you see? My fairytale romance…!”

Her friend knew how much Rarity had spoken of true love in the past. Those words had weight. “...I see… Hm, I’m with you all the way, girl. Whatever you need, I'll help you… So, you’re turning down a Prince for a Peasant, then? Heh, must be true love…!”

Rarity’s look of shame and embarrassment gave away everything, as she sheepishly looked down and fidgeted with her mane.

Sassy groaned. “You’re STILL Marrying the Prince?? While you’re trying to take a bite out of a Peasant?! Girl what is up with you?!”

“I-it’s complicated, okay!! I don’t have time to explain, but I will take no judgment or sass out of you, Sassy! You know that if I want something, I fight like hell to get it!”

Throwing her hooves in the air apologetically, the Manager scoffed. “Hey girl, you know I’m ride or die with you, I’ll support you through this either way; but what’s your endgame here, exactly…?!”

Once more, the look of shame and embarrassment in her face gave away everything.

Taking a hoof to her forehead, Sassy groaned, with second-hand concern. “Girl, have you not planned anything after today? Your plans usually are a bit more long term–”

Waving her mane dramatically and dismissively, staving away shame, Rarity scoffed. “I am living in the moment, darling! This is how I play my cards; I am not about to fold. And in the moment, I want her. Now.”

She had no time to explain how limited her time was. Her Knight was slipping through her hooves, and there was a chance that this would be their last day together, and she had every intention of making the best out of it, with the sheer might of her charm and beauty.

And if she could turn a ‘last day’ into a bit longer…

The Manager couldn't help but be amused. “You’ve changed, Rares. But I dig it, tell you what; There’s a pretty small gala at the museum tonight. I have two passes I got from gifts; Why don’t you two take them?” She opened a drawer, taking out two lovely looking tickets.

Rarity beamed. “Oh yes, yes! Wonderful, darling! I was already planning on taking her to the museum, and then a lovely nightly walk in the park– This will do nicely, thank you!!” She was met with a caring nod from her friend.

“Oh and another thing, darling. Have you heard of ‘The River of Fireflies?”

The Manager pondered, for a moment. “I have, yeah. It’s not that far from here, but I've never been. I have heard that it’s a gorgeous place, though, and that it’s very… Romantic.” They both shared mischievous smiles.

“Perfect. We may visit it tomorrow, if our journey continues… Thank you again for these! And thank you so much for being diligent with our boutique here…“

Already noticing that Rarity’s work was done, she smiled. “Nothing to it, boss. I’m glad you’re back. O-oh! And One last thing, almost forgot!” The Princess tilted her head, expectantly.

“A few days ago, this weird captain lady; Sunset-something? Visited the boutique. She was looking for you, and asking about a peasant, too. I guess it’s your Applejack? Nonetheless; It seemed to be kinda urgent, but she didn’t tell me what it was about. She was kinda intimidating too. Like she could incinerate you with her eyes, y'know?”

Rarity blinked a couple of times. No, this wasn’t good news. But she couldn’t afford to care. There were more important matters today.

“Good to know, darling. Regardless, I must be off. Thank you again!”

Her friend smiled, and nodded mischievously. “good luck with your Knight.” She winked.

Rarity grinned, as she walked out the door, taking Applejack’s new outfit.

“Don’t worry, darling. She’s as good as mine.”

Applejack’s eyes widened as she saw her Princess approach. It wasn’t just the beautiful bejeweled dress, or the sideswept hair, she had new accessories. Lovely earrings, poofy fur around her neck, and a lovely simple silver tiara. She looked fancier than ever, and yet, she still regarded her Knight with the same adoration, as she approached imminently.

This new outfit was quite simply dazzling. The Peasant imagined that a mare like this would be coveted for parties in which Queens were invited. And yet, here she was, with a Peasant…

Rarity was quick to introduce her Knight to a new outfit; this time, Applejack would wear a suit and tie. Already fitted for her hastingly, so it would be a little tight, (not that the Princess minded in the slightest.)

The Farmer looked at herself in the mirror, side by side with the Princess, once again having adorned new skin, and once again liking it. The suit had a hue of red that was almost orange; like a pleasant fruit color, befitting of her, and the tie matched, while the undershirt was a more simple white color, with a slight hue of green. It was comfortable, even if a bit tight.

She felt as if she was dressed for a fancy party in a fancy town on a fancy palace for fancy people where no Peasant would ever thread.

Or a wedding.

With Rarity standing right besides her, she aggressively shook those thoughts out of her head. Eyes on the prize, head on the mission, focus on what matters–

“So, do you like it?” She spoke softly right next to her, almost with a whisper; as she used her magic to adjust the tie.

“‘Course I do, sugarcube. It’s… hell, I feel fancy! It’s mighty funny, but in a good way. I like it.” Yes, she was a bit flustered. But she was happier, still. And that happiness was deeply charming.

A charm that pierced Rarity’s heart like an arrow. If she did not fiercely contain herself, she would have savagely kissed those lips that smiled at her so sweetly.

They thanked Sassy, and walked out of that store together, ready for a wonderful day in that wonderful town.

She was positively determined to show her Knight the best time possible; All while dazzling her thoroughly, and then, when the time was right, she would pounce. Nothing could possibly put a damper on this day.

She hoped.


The exchange of charm, the exchange of smiles. As if akin to trying to climb a slippery mountain in the rain, both couldn't help but fall even more in love with each other as the day passed.

First, there was lunch. A fancy, lovely looking restaurant in which they ate together with a veranda view to several of the town's gardens. Not that the view mattered much, because they often spent their time gazing at only each other. The owners of the restaurant adored Rarity, so they got a free meal out of it; and happy wishes to her upcoming marriage to the Prince.

The Farmer had no experience eating those fancy types of salads; And found herself clumsily chewing on a bundle of leaves and vegetables that was in the beautiful shape of a swan. She was using every bit of the decorum and manners taught to her by Granny Smith, so as not to embarrass herself in front of the Princess, and yet, it mattered not.

Because even just looking at the Farmer, who clumsily ate those fancy meals, smiling, attempting to share in her world, the Princess was utterly charmed. Once more, her heart fluttered, and she had to contain herself not to pull her farmer close and sharing on the taste of that salad.

Secondly, they shared a walk on a plant market. Multiple stands with cheerful ponies that sold vegetables, fruits, flower seeds, and more. Although they did not buy anything, the Farmer took great joy in explaining to her the nutritional value and other details regarding the fruits and vegetables they passed by; And even having a surprising amount of knowledge of each flower they passed by.

As they exited the market, The Peasant plucked a blue flower from one of the gardens carefully, and placed it calmly on the Princess's mane, right next to her ear.

“There! Another touch to yer outfit. Blue fits ya, don’t it?” She smiled, incredibly warmly, incredibly close.

“Y-yes. It does…” Once again, she had to suppress the urge, the desire, the need, to throw herself at her Knight, as her heart fluttered. She absolutely needed to wait for the ideal time for this to happen; The moment to pounce had to be perfect.

Thirdly, there was the museum. The curators knew the Princess, and gladly allowed her and her bodyguard in, delighted in seeing her safe, and wishing her a happy marriage as well.

The Farmer gladly tailed her Princess, as Rarity unveiled her extensive and joyful knowledge of history and art. The museum was filled with all sorts of memories. From paintings, to fossils, to royal dresses and other assorted old outfits, to old pieces of armor from ancient warriors, to historical retellings of Equestrian history, through gorgeous tapestries; And even still, a couple of dresses that Rarity had made specifically to be displayed in expositions.

And Rarity knew them all.

Applejack had a smile that wouldn’t quit; Seeing her Princess endlessly and passionately rant about art and explain history was utterly captivating. She knew so much about things of beauty, it was as if she herself belonged in a museum, immortalized for her beauty. As she explained things to her Knight, a small crowd of onlookers gathered around them, heavily invested on the Princess’s knowledge of history, a bundle of ponies joyfully nodding along to her speeches, all while she was making them for her Knight, and her Knight only, who smiled warmly, seeing her radiance.

“And this, darlings, is one of my favorites. This gorgeous tapestry depicts an ancient hero, one of the ‘Pillars of Equestria’, as they are known for; This particular one was known as Mistmane, whose beauty and generosity was coveted by all, in her time. There are unending legends and tales of how despite how utterly lovely she looked, she remained humble and generous, giving and aid to all who needed it. She is known, without a shadow of doubt, for being the most beautiful Unicorn in all of Equestria.”

“Sounds kinda like you, sugarcube!” The one and only interruption that Applejack would dare to make to her Princess’s lovely presentations.

It was as if time stopped, for a moment, as she regarded her Knight with profound adoration. Her heart pounded furiously as she contained herself with every inch of her composure, to not jump into that crowd and kiss her beloved. She got so lightheaded that she nearly fainted, but luckily Applejack was there to catch her if she did. It took her a few flustered seconds to regain her decorum and continue, after thanking her love.

Fourthfully, there was the gala. The Peasant hesitated, since every once in a while she could feel the strange glance directed at her. Whether it was because of her size, or due to her clearly commoner disposition, she was unsure. But Rarity was there, side by side, to comfort her, to steady her breathing, to be her entire field of vision.

It was a beautiful ballroom, on the highest floor of the museum, with large windows, a tall ceiling, and a gorgeous chandelier decorating it. Only a handful of ponies enjoyed the quiet gala, as a band played a quiet waltz.

“Care to dance, handsome?” Rarity placed a hoof on her Knight’s chest, almost with a whisper.

“I dunno, sugarcube… There’s ponies starin’ at us. And I ain’t exactly an expert in the waltz ya taught me…” Nervously glancing around, already flustered, she considered her means of escape from this kind of event she had never been a part of.

Placing a hoof on her Knight’s cheek, being even closer, muzzle to muzzle, she smiled deviously. “I don’t care if they look. Just keep your eyes on me, darling.”

She pulled the Peasant’s tie with her teeth, almost as if it was a leash, leading her into the dance floor. Applejack obeyed to her every command implicitly, even if nervously, and flustering.

And so, through the dim candlelight of chandeliers, and to the sound of calm soothing music, they danced; Closer than ever.

The Princess’s mind raced, as she constantly observed her Knight, looking for an ideal moment to pounce; and she found none. Her plan was to charm her so utterly that she herself would simply confess her undying love for Rarity, but somehow, the Farmer remained chivalrous and respectful through it all, and the Princess herself felt more completely encharmed then she had ever been.

She could barely feel frustration; after all, this had been one of the most wonderful evenings of her life, and she was right to believe Applejack felt the same way.

Her last plan for the night was a walk through the most gorgeous park of the town at night they would take together, bathed in moonlight and stars, after this dance. Surely, this would be the ideal moment…

She hoped.


The air was chilly, but neither of them minded. The fur that the Princess wore kept her warm, but she still often rubbed herself along Applejack’s flank, since her Knight’s body temperature was often akin to sitting by a comfortable fireplace.

The moonlight bathed them, as they walked by empty gardens, alone on a beautiful night, in a lovely park. Greeted only by the sound of crickets and nightly birds, it was as if that park belonged to them.

“Hoo-wee! Did ya see their face when I lifted ya on that dance? Heheh I ain't ever seen fancy pony’s jaws so dropped! This was a darn fun evening, Sugarcube.”

Remaining quiet, Rarity stopped moving, pausing in the middle of a stone bridge that stood above a river illuminated by the moon and the occasional lamp post. Her Knight noticed the pause, and joined her.

She considered if this was the most opportune moment, but Applejack spoke first, smiling warmly. “Ya know… I’m happy. This day made me feel a lot better about sayin’ goodbye. Everypony in these sorta places loves you, and you captivate all of ‘em!– You really belong. You’re gonna shine brighter than ever as a Princess, sugarcube. This was a darn wonderful detour.”

How is she still resisting me? How is she still considering saying goodbye?

Fidgeting nervously with her mane, and with great hesitation, Rarity spoke softly. “You know… Maybe we could spend another day here, then? Since we both enjoyed ourselves so much…?”

With a chuckle, Applejack almost agreed instantly.

But then she stopped. She stopped because an idea quickly formed in her head. An idea that quickly took hold, as she polished it, analyzed it, understood it, and considered it.

Rarity Belle is in love with me, and she’s keeping me from my family.

She sat, looking away, exhaling through her nose, as that idea made her a bit lightheaded. She looked into the darkness of the river, considering exactly what she wanted to say, and what she wanted to do. But a question was all that came out of her.

“Sugarcube, are you… Are you stalling?”

The Princess did not respond, simply looking away in shame.

“Am… Am I stalling?” The Farmer considered, with sorrow.

Both of them remained quiet, averting their gaze from each other.

An attempt of eye contact, as Applejack looked at the Princess, who shamefully looked away. “Rarity… Why are we stalling.”

A moment of silence, as their eyes met. The Unicorn's face pleaded for forgiveness, bathed in shame, but it also had desire.

“Applejack… Don’t you feel what I feel…?”

She approached, slowly, but her Knight recoiled, chastising herself internally for doing so.

Another moment of silence, as both of them were wracked with guilt, simply for being here.

“Look, sugarcube, I…”

And then, an interruption.

Both of them flinched, as a Cloaked pegasus landed from the night sky directly next to Applejack, slicing her flank with a dagger he held in his mouth.

With one swift motion, the Farmer tackled him, pinning him to the ground, causing the dagger to clang away onto the bridge floor, nearly falling into the river. “Damn, I missed!” He lied.

“What’s the big idea, asshole?!!!” Applejack snarled, pressing her would-be-assassin’s head against the floor.

The Princess was incredibly angry as well. “How DARE you interrupt us, and how DARE you damage her lovely suit!!!” she smacked his chest with her hoof, which admittedly did no damage, as she observed the gash on Applejack’s outfit; the dagger had drawn blood.

The Cloaked Assassin chuckled on the floor. “Well, I was here to claim the bounty on the Peasant’s head and on the Princess’s rescue, but I guess I fucked up. Do you mind letting me go?”

Groaning with anger, Applejack slammed him against the floor, and then tossed him to the far side of the bridge. “BEAT IT. Don’t you dare show your face around us again!!”

With her horn lighting up the surroundings so they could see their assailant better, Rarity quickly added, scoffing. “You’re lucky we had a good day, or she would fold you like a pretzel!!”

The Assassin dusted himself off, but, much to their annoyance, he did not take off, simply stared at them. “So what's a dainty little would-be Princess doing with a Peasant, anyway. Did you dress her up or something?” He mocked.

Fuming, blowing air from her nostrils, the Farmer snarled. “What part of ‘BEAT IT’ dontcha get?! Leave us alone, varmint!!”

Throwing his hooves in the air, with a mocking surrender, the Assassin chuckled. “Fine, fine, don’t worry, I'll be leaving in a bit. I’m just waiting.”

With a groan, the Princess fumed too. “Waiting…? Ugh, darling, maybe you should break a few of his bones, then he’ll leave us be.”

The Peasant indeed considered charging, unleashing all her pent up frustration on her would be assassin.

Until he started counting, with a grin. “Three, two, one, there.”

A cough, and a wheeze, from the Farmer. She shook her head a bit, feeling the cut on her flank burn. A drop of sweat dripped on her forehead, as she looked at the cloaked pegasus, in confusion. “What did ya… What did ya do to me…??”

“The blade I sliced you with is poisoned, dumbass. Enough to kill an elephant, too. I couldn’t take any chances. What, you think I'd try to take you on with a little knife? Not with your infamy, no.” fluttering his wings, The Assassin snickered, standing there, waiting.

Eyes widened with concern, the Princess quickly inspected her knight, who was already looking worse.

Shaking her head, and wheezing lightly, Applejack could feel it. There was something deeply wrong spreading inside her, and it was spreading fast. Her vision was getting blurrier, and her muscles were stiffening, as her breathing got unstable.

“Why, i oughta–” She attempted to charge at the Pegasus, who simply flew away and landed behind her, on the opposite side of the bridge. She stumbled, almost losing her balance as she turned in anger.

Almost falling, she gathered the strength for another charge. The Princess rushed to her side, her worries spreading faster than the poison. “Applejack, quickly, get him!! He might have an antidote, we need to– We have to do something!!”

Once again the Peasant gasped for a proper breath, as she shook her head, attempting to stabilize her balance, wheezing. The Assassin laughed loudly at the sight.
“Hah! Go ahead, come charge again! The more you move around, the more the poison spreads through your system, dumbass!”

Another charge. This one, slower, clumsier. The Pegasus once again took flight, avoiding it easily, landing on the opposite side of the bridge with a snicker.

Another snarl, another gasp for air, as she tried getting the energy for another charge.

“A-applejack, c’mon!! Y-you can get him! Please, please, get him!!” The Princess pleaded, ushering her Knight to attack once more.

She tried, with all her might, to charge forward, but her body refused, as one of her front hooves gave out, she leaned on the floor, wheezing, sweating, unable to get up.

Running to her side, and cradling her cheeks, the Princess pleaded once more. “Please, get up, PLEASE! You can do this, please!!” Her eyes watered, seeing her Knight’s strength fading. Her hide felt colder.

Applejack tried getting up. She tried, fiercely, to stand, leaning on her princess, snarling with anger at her would-be-killer, but it wasn’t enough.

“NO!!” Rarity Yelped, as her knight tumbled on the bridge floor, laying on her side, breathing weakly, twitching.

Approaching them casually, the Assassin snickered. “Gotta hand it to her, she’s endured this for longer than I thought anypony could.”

“Please, please, please, please” Rarity cradled her lover, feeling her ragged breaths, begging, pleading, someone, please wake me up from this nightmare.

“PLEASE HELP US!!!” She shouted, at the top of her lungs, desperately, into the cold night air, as tears ran down her cheeks, ruining her makeup. But nobody came.

The Assassin simply leaned on the railing of the bridge, casually. “You two were standing still in the middle of a park at midnight. Easiest target I've ever had, y’know?”


It was her fault that they were here in this park.


“Please get up, please, please get up Applejack, please…!” Her voice was frail, desperate, a pleading that would not be answered, as she cradled the dying Peasant. Her hide was colder still.

“What’s a Princess doing mourning a peasant, anyway? Now that’s a weird sight, if I've ever seen one.” The Assassin casually mulled it over, waiting for his target to die.


It was her fault that they were there in this town.


Applejack could barely see, could barely feel. Her vision blurred as her entire body was stiffening, her breaths short and weak. She tried thinking of her family. She tried thinking of how they wouldn’t even know what happened to her. Likely would never get to bury her. All while Rarity sobbed, cradling her, desperately.

Turning to the Assassin, the Princess pleaded. “P-lease– Just give her the antidote and I'll come with you!! You can take me and have your reward, I’ll come willingly, just don’t let her die– You can’t let her d-die!!!”

Blowing raspberries, the Assassin rolled his eyes. “You realize I'm being paid to kill her too, right? Besides, I can’t risk her recovering and folding me into a pretzel, like you said. You’ve got nothing to bargain with, Princess. So just wait a few more minutes and it’ll all be over.”

She turned back to her knight, desperately, tragically considering, thinking of any way out, as her mind was pure sobbing static.


It was Rarity’s fault that they even considered this detour. Her love was dying in her arms, and it was her fault. Her selfishness. Her fault. Her divine punishment.


“Sugar… cube” The frail exhale of her dying Knight reached her ears, making her shiver.

Something inside Rarity snapped. Her eyes widened.

She was not going to let her nightmare come true.

Her horn’s light doubled in potency, as an eerie blue glow surrounded them. She turned to the Assassin with a near blank expression; Accentuated only with rage.

“Where is the antidote.” She snarled, plainly.

The Assassin was not intimidated. his mistake. “Please, Princess. You have nothing–”

With a single magical fluid motion, the poisonous dagger that laid on the bridge floor took flight, slicing the assassin’s cheek furiously, then hovering over his chest. Rarity approached him menacingly, as he whimpered from the slice. “AUGH– You– did you just?!”

“WHERE. IS. THE ANTIDOTE.” She stood close, furiously, as she hovered the blade over his flank, and he breathed shortly in fear.

He hesitated, considering his options, and considering what in the world had just happened.

“WHERE!!!” The Princess stabbed him through his rib cages swiftly. His scream filled the night, until he silenced himself, choking on the fast-acting poison.

She stated every word with scowl and anger. “I sliced you on your face and stabbed you on your flank. Like you said, the poison is fast acting, it will spread through your pathetic little brain soon, and you are not as strong as she is. I wager you’ll die long before her heart beats it’s last, so this is your last chance. Give. Me. The. Antidote.”

He stopped hesitating, whimpering, he quickly fumbled through a hidden compartment of his cloak, with a small wallet-like object that held several syringes. “T-the blue one–” he whimpered, as the Princess snatched the whole thing out of his hooves with the glow of her magic.

“If she doesn’t live, neither will you.” She snarled. Her magic froze the assassin in place completely, dagger hovering over his throat as she ran to her Knight’s side.

Her demeanor changed completely, begging and pleading once more, as she injected all of the antidote onto Applejack’s body. “I’m here. I’m here. Please, please be okay. You’re okay. You’re okay, please–!”

She looked desperately for any sign of improvement, and let out a huge sigh of relief as Applejack’s breathing seemed to steady, and with a couple blinks, their eyes met.

“You’re okay. You’re okay.” The Princess desperately wished, feeling the rise and lower of the breathing of her Knight’s chest, desperately pleading for this nightmare to be over.

She turned only once, hovering the Antidote-wallet in mid air with her magic, glaring at the Assassin. “Go get it, vermin.” She snarled, before tossing it on the river behind him, and tossing the poisoned dagger on the opposite side of the river, releasing him from her magical grasp.

He whimpered, wheezed, and desperately jumped into the river after the possibility of a cure, disappearing into the night.

She couldn't care less if he lived or died, in fact, she would celebrate if his lifeless body was found the day after.

As she turned back to her Knight, her sobbing resumed in full force, as soon as she could tell that Applejack was improving.

The Farmer’s breathing steadied, as her muscles unstiffened, and she could let out relieved sighs at last, as her body made a slow but steady recovery.

“You’re okay. You’re okay. You’re okay.” The Princess sobbed and choked quietly, endlessly, clinging to her knight’s side.

Her crying got stronger as she heard a response. “I’m okay. I’m okay.” She clinged tighter, and did not let go, even when Applejack had the strength to cling back.

They remained like this for what felt like an hour. The quiet sobs of the Princess, and the slow recovery of the peasant, holding each other through the darkness of the night.

Applejack only let go when she was absolutely certain she could sit up. She gazed at Rarity with concern, whose makeup was smeared all over her cheeks, and also the Peasant’s suit. She still sobbed quietly, unable to speak, barely able to look her back in the eyes.

She spoke softly, with as much gentleness as she could, as if the Princess was made of glass. “You okay, sugarcube? Can you talk?”

Another set of quiet sobs, as the princess did not respond.

“Can you walk?” A very slight shake of her head was all the response she got, amidst the crying.

“Can I carry you?” The Farmer offered, and her response was to extend her arms and nod her head slightly.

Swiftly, yet cautiously, the farmer placed the Princess on her back, where she clung with all her remaining strength, sniffling and crying while leaning her head on her Knight’s neck.

Applejack’s limbs hurt with every step. Her legs felt as if they were burning, but she did not stop. She did not allow herself to falter as she carried her Princess away from that place. Rarity had gone to unthinkable lengths to save her life, and the Peasant would not let absolutely anything else happen to her.

All she focussed on was the sounds Rarity made as she clung to her side. Quiet shivers and sobs, sometimes muttering something unintelligible, desperately holding her Knight as if she would fade away if she didn’t.

“Nearly there, sugarcube.”

A quiet reassurance met with no response other than a couple more sobs.

Hearty joyful music could be heard from inside the hotel, as they approached. Applejack felt as if she could sleep for a week. But she did not dare falter.

Entering the hotel, the source of the music was clear. Pinkie was playing with a band, gleefully having instigated a celebratory number, waiting for her friends to return.

“Girls you’re back!! Check this out!!” She was mere moments from playing a hearty love song, but then she stopped, and the whole band stopped with her, quiet returning to the halls of the hotel.

“W-what happened??! Is she okay?!” Pinkie rushed to their side, seeing a weeping Princess and a wounded Peasant.

Applejack stopped only to reply, with the slightest smile of relief upon seeing her friend. The Princess did not react or respond outside of her cries, simply held her.

“She’s okay. We’re okay… We just had a bit of a rough night. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow, but right now, she desperately needs to get some shut eye.”

She once again forced her own limbs to move, carrying the princess forward.

“O-oh, okay, phew… We’ll talk tomorrow, then…” The Bard had a mixture of disappointment, sadness and relief. However the night had gone, it had absolutely not gone as Rarity had planned.

“Almost there. Hang on a little longer, sugarcube.” Applejack muttered to her Princess, as she climbed a flight of stairs, and Rarity continued to sob quietly.

Finally reaching their hotel room, Applejack didn’t even turn on the lights, just scanned it with the gaze of the moonlight, ensuring they were safe. She locked the windows, and then turned to one of the beds.

“We’re here.”

With all the gentleness she could muster, she picked up her Princess, and laid her gently on the bed, where she still sniffled, covering her own muzzle with her hooves, shame, guilt, and near heartbreak.

“Can I get you anything? Some water, maybe?” She spoke softly, met with no response except a couple more sniffles and the shake of her head.

“I’ll be right here if ya need me–” She was about to turn around, but Rarity’s magic turned her back. The weeping princess motioned with her hooves for Applejack to get into bed too, beckoning her embrace, still in shambles.

Applejack did not hesitate. If there was one thing Rarity needed right now, desperately, was comfort.

She climbed gently into bed, and laid on her side, as the princess clung tightly to her, with a desperate hug, sobbing while laying her head on her Knight’s neck, who hugged back.

They remained like this, for what felt like an eternity. Not an uncomfortable position, much the opposite. Applejack kept her breathing steady, coaching the Princess to steady hers, as she warmed herself up with her Knight’s embrace.

Only after a long time, after the sobbing subsided, was that Rarity managed to speak.

“A-applejack?” A quiet, desperate whisper.

The Peasant responded with a small nod.

“T-the pain of losing you… Would be too much to bear.”

How could she express that she felt the exact same way? What words could ever express the love and gratitude she felt for the Princess, for saving her life? How could she possibly express the fear she had of losing her…?

She simply clung tighter, wanting to protect the Princess from anything, everything.

Wanting to never see her ever cry again.


It was time to go.

The day had been slow, as they had spent all of the morning resting on the hotel. The Three friends choose only to leave after lunch, when they were certain they were comfortable.

Rarity did not leave her bed the entire morning. Still shaken by the events of the last night, she felt as if there was something stuck on her throat the entire day until then.

And Applejack did not leave the room. She kept the Princess in sight at all times, ensuring her every minor need was met. Ensuring that she would smile, knowing that her Knight was alive and well, dutifully and attentively guarding her.

It was only after room service brought them their lunch, and they feasted on it quietly, that Rarity left her bed.

It was time to go.

The three friends walked quietly, without much conversation, but not in discomfort. Applejack allowed her Princess to be as close as she wanted, and was ready to carry her if it was necessary, without hesitation. Rarity stayed as close as she could, fearing that if she was not touching her Knight, she would fade away.

As soon as they left town, the mood improved a bit more; they could feel the afternoon breeze, the birds singing, and the leaves rustling under their hooves.

Pinkie had no end to the jokes she could crack to lift the mood, and she certainly wouldn’t stop until her friends were happier.

She held hope that by the end of the day, things would be much better.

What is the downside to eating a clock?

It’s time consuming!

Quick, short chuckles between the two in the audience. They looked at each other as they walked side by side, appreciating each other's smiles.

That was an easy one.

Two cows graze the fields together, one anxious! She says “hey friend, aren't you concerned about the rumors of this crazy cow disease?”

The other cow shrugs. “Why should I be? After all, I'm a rabbit!”

More chuckles, and both of the audience thought of how the sound each other made was the most beautiful thing they had ever heard, considering the circumstances.

Ceasing the moment, Pinkie delivered one another good one.

Two polar bears, a father and a son, sit together in the frozen waste in the middle of a blizzard. The son pipes in, shivering. “Father, are you sure I'm a polar bear?”

“Of course you are, son.” The father assured. “Why do you ask?”

“Because i’m fucking cold!”


Laughter, this time. The voices Pinkie made were already funny, but the cursing sent them over, both Applejack and Rarity leaned on each other as they giggled.

The bard ceased the moment for a final banger.

Four ducks float on a river together. The first one says: “Quack quack!”

And the second one quickly responds: “Amazing! That’s just what I was about to say!”

Quick snickers out of the two. This was a lighter one.

But the Bard was not done.

And so, the third duck says “Quack!”

And the fourth one replies “Gosh you know what's irritating about you? You never finish your sentences!”

This time the audience had to sit down to laugh it off, leaning on each other. Pinkie felt a burst of joy, seeing those two together.

They thanked her for keeping the mood light, she was indeed really good at her job. Best bard ever.

In a way, Applejack was glad they took so long to set off. Any desire to rush their journey to its final destination melted away the day before, when her Princess staked everything to save her life. Her only priority was helping Rarity smile. And she was happy, knowing that their slow pace would mean even one more day with her.

No matter what, the Princess was simply relieved that the events of the previous day were behind them. Fear still held her heart to some extent, but Applejack was right next to her, laughing and smiling. So she laughed and smiled too, with ease.

The bond between those two had only grown stronger.

The sun was setting between the mountains, and neither of them minded.

They were getting closer and closer to the River of Fireflies.


Already, the scintillating insects could be seen flying around in bushes, here and there. And as the light faded behind the mountains, and the sky was filled with stars, more and more of the beautiful glowing bugs flew around. All of the three friends gawked at the lovely sight.

They knew exactly when they were getting closer; The trees were different: They seemed to glow with a sort of bioluminescent moss that attracted the fireflies.

And finally, they reached a riverbank, with a small, abandoned dock that had a single boat tied to it, with two paddles. The river was slow and gentle; barely making a sound.

With a chuckle, the bard cleared her throat. This was a moment she had been waiting for a while. “Oh dang! There’s only room for two ponies on the boat. Gosh! I guess I'll just find my way around then! Seeyoutwolaterhavefunberesponsiblebyeeee”

She did not wait for a response, simply skedaddled following along the riverbank, leaving eyeshot and earshot fast.

“Hey Pinkie! C’mon– Maybe we can– Welp, she’s gone.” Applejack sighed, with a smile, scratching her chin.

Rarity did not comment on her friend’s departure, she simply sat on the boat, and waited.

“Go on, sit!” she beckoned quietly.

The Peasant followed her command.

“...On the boat, Applejack.” She giggled softly, seeing her Knight follow her command implicitly.

“Oh, r-right! Sorry!” The Farmer hopped onto the boat carefully, untying its rope and pushing them forward onto the waters ahead.

The boat traveled calmly, gently through the river, with trees that seemed to glow with bioluminescent moss growing in the water itself, with their roots being visible over the water, and surrounding them were countless fireflies.

Applejack and Rarity sat facing each other, with dumb grins they couldn’t wipe from their faces if they tried.

The Peasant made a motion to grab the oars to start rowing, and the Princess immediately put a hoof on her chest. “No no, darling. It’s okay. I’m admiring the scenery, and we are going the right way, are we not?”

Proximity to the Unicorn was causing Applejack's breathing to be unsteady and her thoughts to spiral quietly once more. “E-eyup.”

With a smile, Rarity sat back down, smiling at her. “Then what’s the rush?”

Applejack didn’t respond, just remained lost in the Princess’s eyes. They gazed at each other with adoration for a little while in silence.

Fireflies started flying around them, landing primarily on Rarity. She started making a couple of concerned motions due to the insects. “U-um– should I be worried, dear?”

“It’s okay! They’re just fireflies. They don’t bite or sting, They live in this swamp ‘cause they’re attracted to things that shine. No wonder they’re landin’ on you…” The multicolored insects lights lit the Princess up like a christmas tree and reflected light off her mane beautifully.

Her face was a bit red as she calmed down and went back to gazing at the Farmer. “T-that’s good to hear.” The scenery was indeed beautiful, but they only had eyes for each other.

The silence continued as Rarity simply smiled warmly and occasionally tilted her head, making the farmer mimic her involuntarily.

Until she did the only thing that came to her mind. She sang.

my heart's been pierced by a cupid
i disdain all glitter and gold
there is nothing that can console me
except for you, my hero bold


She placed a hoof on her Knight’s chest, and made eye contact.

there is nothing that can console me…
…except for you, my hero bold.

They stayed quiet for a few seconds, as the Farmer gathered the energy to say anything.

“Hah, yer giving me an encore, huh? Well I’ll do you one better:”



Well I cannot be pulled apart,
From the hold you have in my heart,

And even If the world tells us it's wrong…
You’re in my head like a catchy song…!


Eyes widened, the Princess suppressed a flustered chuckle, unsure of what to say. Her heart fluttered; She had never heard Applejack sing, and it was beautiful.

She tipped her hat, with a nervous smile. “Do ya like it?”

“Oh, Applejack, it… It was beautiful…!”

Letting out an exhale of assurance, the Peasant smiled. “It’s a song my mom sang to my dad, when… Well, I’m blanking on the rest of the song, but that part was clear as day for me.”

Covering her muzzle with her hair, The Princess let out a lovely chuckle. The two of them sat like that, as if time itself stood still, on a boat that gently was taken by a current on the river of Fireflies.

After a couple more silent seconds, Applejack piped in. She found herself picking her words carefully, as if she was on a minefield, despite no danger in sight. “Y-y'know, I'm actually… Well, it was really, really damn special, meeting you. I know we might say goodbye soon, but… I just wanna say. I’m kinda glad that you were afraid of flyin’. I mean, sure, we coulda been there a week ago but… Visiting places like this on the way back, showing each other our lives, just… Bein’ together, has been… Real nice.”

Rarity stood up and approached her calmly, with a mischievous smile. “Want to know a secret?” She whispered, much closer to the Peasant. Applejack had no response, her face just went redder.

She whispered sweetly, with all the gentleness she could muster.

“I’m not afraid of flying. I just wanted to have more time with you.”

Applejack’s eyes widened, as the Princess recoiled slightly with a smile, their muzzles still incredibly close. She had no response to that statement, her heart beating faster was the only answer she could manage. The Farmer’s brain malfunctioned; as the implications of that statement were clear.

Rarity tilted her head. “Want to know another secret?” The Peasant barely mustered a flustered nod.

The princess leaned in and whispered gently in the farmer’s ear.

“If you asked me to stay… I would stay.”

They were closer than ever. Her eyes were all applejack could see. She once again couldn’t speak, only be lost to the sight before her. That statement implied everything.

She tilted her head, a motion that Applejack involuntarily followed. A slight hint of doubt, or maybe worry, flashed on Rarity’s face as she blushed more.

“Now, if I were to ask you…?”

“Anything.”

Applejack’s heart spoke for her. And like it always did, it spoke honestly. There was no longer any hesitation or fear in her voice.

"I would do anything for you."

The princess grinned widely, batting her eyelashes a couple times. She put her arms around Applejack’s neck, their faces closer than ever, they could feel each other's breaths.

“Oh, my Knight… What am I going to do with you?” She whispered.

Fireflies took flight swirling around them.

A month before, Applejack could never have imagined in a million years that she would get the taste of a Princess, and Rarity certainly felt the same about a Peasant. Right now, they desperately got it.

Sweet apple cinnamon and even sweeter lavender.

This moment was theirs, and it was right. It was slow and it was sweet.

Applejack’s heart belonged to Rarity now in full.

The fireflies stopped swirling around them and landed once more. The kiss ended, and they went back to staring at each other, a bit dizzy, the Farmer certainly more so. “Applejack? Darling?”

The poor Peasant’s brain was still malfunctioning, her face redder than ever. “E…Eyup?”

The Princess giggled, reveling on the effect she had on her Knight.

Applejack blinked, returning to reality for a moment. “S-sorry, sugarcube. I just– I just never been kissed like that before.” She contained giggles and the instinct to prance joyfully within herself, but she couldn’t contain her grin.

Rarity tilted her head, delighted. “Well, there’s a first time for everything, dear.”
She wrapped her arms around Applejack’s neck once more. “How about a second?”

How about a third? How about a fourth? A fifth? A sixth?

What if they didn’t stop, and allowed themselves to be intertwined fully, no barriers between them anymore?

Nothing else kept them apart. They let themselves go in a quiet storm of passionate desire.

The boat reached their destination, but they didn’t stop. They laid on the boat together, looking into eachothers eyes, after the loving ordeal they had just gone through.

“I guess our stops here, sugarcube.”

“Yep.”

“You don’t wanna stop, do ya?”

“Nope.”

“Me either.”

Author's Note:

What a calm relaxing chapter, in which nothing of particular excitement happened.


Wait did Rarity kill a guy?


Eh, whatever. Go off queen. (fr tho he's dead. she straight up killed him.)

That poison scene might be my favorite scene of all the fic, tbh, not even joking; It's the ultimate illusion breaker; Rarity thought Applejack was invincible, and maybe the readers did too. The illusion breaks like a house of cards

Also the river of fireflies sequence is what all of the entire fic led to; when these two have no more doubt about how they feel, and how the other feels too.

important plot beat that AJ had zero romance or sexual experience or else the river of fireflies segment would have not been as umm. gentle

Either way, i've been waiting to write this chapter for a long, long time, not just because of the poison scene, and not just because of the River of fireflies; This is legitimately the last chapter in which these characters will stall. ACT 3 begins now.

See you next chapter, on "The Truth Of The Heart, PART 1"