• Published 9th Mar 2024
  • 756 Views, 44 Comments

The Princess and The Peasant - DapperLilArts



The humble Peasant farmer Applejack has to travel across the kingdom to rescue Princess Rarity, for a chance to save her farm and family. Surely these two could never form an inseparable bond in this journey?

  • ...
5
 44
 756

The Peasant in the Mud

Author's Note:

As a disclaimer, this is not a 1 to 1 recreation of the story of Shrek 1 utilizing MLP characters. I took heavy inspiration from the fantasy setting and the specific circumstances, but you'll find i've made it much more driven by the things that make these specific MLP characters driven, specialy with their new fantasy personalities in this alternate universe.

Importantly, you'll find that there is only a few 1 to 1 character to character comparision of the shrek cast and MLP, but the story goes in very diffrent directions i only took the essentials, i respect that movie too much to shallowly copy it. (Also there's no third act misunderstanding. You're welcome.)

so no, i am tragicaly here to inform you that Pinkie Pie will not fuck the dragon. I know, i know, you can boo, i deserve it, but i hope you will still enjoy the story either way.

Oh and I put the Equestria girls tag cause Sunset Shimmer is a fairly important character in the story; even if she's not a protagonist.

Also the Sex tag is there because the characters do get very, very intimate at times, and there's more than a few handful of jokes related to hornyness; This ship is kind of. Sexually charged, to say the least? and well, stuff happens. More than once. (that's right i found out how to improve shrek!! GAY SEX.)

Anyways enjoy the read 💖💖💖

CHAPTER 1

🍎THE PEASANT IN THE MUD🍎


“Mirror mirror on the wall. Give me a comprehensive list of the fairest princesses of them all!”

Prince Blueblood lounged in his incredibly lavish private quarters, quite bored. Every princess he had met had been dull and boring, but he sure as hell wasn’t going to settle for anything less than a princess.

The Magic Mirror that hung on his wall lit to life, with an exhausted voice coming from it. “So you’re finally doing it my liege?”

“Yes, yes, I've exhausted all other methods of accruing power, and I do not want to stagnate. Now do not stall, show me some suitors.” The Prince waved his flawless dainty hooves around, uninterested in any small talk.

The Mirror stalled just a bit, and then images of a purple clad princess with streaks on her hair surrounded by friends appeared. “Princess Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of magic and friendship. She is Queen Celestia’s current and most successful pupil, she has status for being beloved by all and has defeated many threats to the kingdom–”

The Prince groaned. “UUUGH. That nerd? I’ve had the displeasure of meeting her once. Such a stuck up know it all, kept critiquing my way of rule. Sure she could potentially be ‘cute’ if she put effort in her appearance, but I will not stoop that low. Let’s put her in the ‘maybe if all other options dry up’ category.”

The Magical Mirror did the closest an inanimate object could to a shudder. “Well, if it helps, it is rumored that she has already taken on the love department. By who, unknown at the moment.”

“As if she could do better than me.” Prince Blueblood waved his overly groomed mane around. “Next!”

The Mirror changed images to a pitch black alicorn with a constellation mane, doing a battle stance. “Queen Luna, Ruler of the night–”

“That old hag??” Prince Blueblood scoffed and interrupted. “Absolutely not! By far the ugliest Princess or Queen I have ever seen! Put her in the ‘not ever’ category. NEXT”

The Mirror hesitated. “My liege, princess Luna is truly powerful and ranks high among royals–”

The Prince didn’t even glance at the mirror. “And I've said next. Do not make me repeat myself.”

The Magical Mirror did the closest an inanimate object could to sigh. It then shifted the images to a pink Alicorn with a multicolored mane being embraced lovingly by her subjects.
“Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, the Princess of love, Ruler of the Crystal Empire, currently engaged to the captain of her royal guard; Sister in law to the aforementioned princess, Twilight Sparkle.”

Prince Blueblood scratched his chin. “Well she’s definitely a much better suitor, Her appearance leaves little to be desired. Is that engagement impervious to sabotage?”

This, the Mirror did not want to aid with. “You’re asking me? I'm a mirror.”

“Well, no matter. Put her in the ‘maybe’ category. I'm sure I could win her over with my undying charm if need be. But I am not as desperate as to attempt to ruin a royal engagement at the moment.” He waved his overly perfumed mane around, genuinely believing the words he was saying.

If the Magical Mirror could roll its eyes, it would, had it had any. “Sure, my liege.”

The Prince glared at the mirror, not appreciating its tone. “Next.”

The Mirror changed images once more, this time to a beautiful Unicorn with very well cared for purple mane and white hide, dressed incredibly well, with a lovely tiara, on a party surrounded by like minded fancy folk. She seemed to be absolutely in her element.

Blueblood’s interest was fully piqued. “Now that is a PRINCESS! Who is this gorgeous visage?”

“This is Princess Rarity. She is quite known in high class galas and royal establishments, and for her highly successful tailoring work.”

“Sure, sure.” The Prince tilted his head. “Where are her wings?”

“She is not an Alicorn.”

The Prince lounged back, losing a bit of his enthusiasm. “A princess who is not an Alicorn? What a scandal. Disappointing. Well, she is still a lovely visage, tell me more, I am intrigued.”

The Mirror started showing images of the things it described. “She was born to a commoner family, in the small village known as Ponyville, but her work as a seamstress made her an incredibly influential tailor, rising her to the ranks of princess by sheer determination and social skills, although she rules over no kingdom or county, she is certainly highly influential, with many royals and high class establishment holding her in high regard. Many consider her a Fully fledged Princess, even if she in reality is not.”

“Eugh. So she’s not even close to being as highly ranked as me. Not even with her own castle! This might be a waste of my effort. But she is definitely stunning… Could work as a trophy wife...” The Prince raised his dainty hoof towards his lips, pondering.

The Magical Mirror cleared its non-existent throat. “You could imagine it as a fixer-upper, my liege. This princess is highly ambitious, and she is already a good friend of the other princess aforementioned, Twilight Sparkle. Whether she gets her wings or not is irrelevant, she will continue to grow in influence and popularity, and you could very well be the catalyst for it.”

Blueblood narrowed his eyes, having made his decision. “Hm, surprisingly eloquent, for a piece of furniture. You raise a good point. I could eat my cake and have it too… I have decided Fair Rarity will be my wife! I shall contact her family, surely they will be pleased by the offer, considering how it will elevate their status–”

“There is only one problem, my liege.”

The Prince did not appreciate being interrupted, and especially if it was to raise another problem. “What is it, tool?”

“Princess Rarity is currently imprisoned in an abandoned castle, guarded by a fearsome dragon, at the farthest edge of Equestria.”

“Ugh, mares. It’s always something with them isn’t it?” Prince Blueblood groaned.

“Why are things so difficult for amazing people like myself?” He pondered, dramatically.

The Mirror drew from a well of very finite patience. “It is simply the case of rescuing her, my liege.”

The Prince stared at his beautifully decorated ceiling. “Hm. Quite. Someone will have to do something about that…”

The Mirror talked quietly. “Of course you wouldn’t even consider rescuing her yourself.”

The Prince shot it a piercing glance. “I’ll have no back talk from you. Do you want me to have you placed in the bathroom of a commoner? A lowly peasant?”

“No, my liege. Apologies, my liege.” The Mirror weighed if a bathroom was better than this.

The Prince stood back up. “Well then. I suppose preparations will have to be underway; I will find a champion to rescue her for me! Surely only the mightiest of warriors would be fit for the task, so if I must arrange a painfully boring triage, so be it. I will now be off to find my champion, may he be MIGHTY!”


Applejack stomped her hooves on the dirt angrily, shaking trees nearby. “Ya can’t be serious!! Surely this ain’t legal!! My family’s owned this land for generations– This is our life!”

The two guards were intimidated by the large earth pony, but attempted to keep composure, with questionable results.

“Y-you own this farm, yes, but you do not own this land, Prince Blueblood does. By law, if you do not pay what you’re owed to the royal bank, the Prince is allowed to do whatever he desires with it.”

Applejack’s tail flailed around angrily. “And he would bulldoze our home for a golf course?? A golf! Course! Y'all have got to be kidding me. WHY!” She snarled.

The guards got a bit closer to each other, almost as if they needed to hug each other for comfort from this terrifying sigh. “Y-you see, The Prince is to be married soon, and he wants to ‘splurge’ as it were…''
“Y-yes, you know our Prince, he loves to indulge.” they trembled with fear that the Farmer would crumple them like soda cans. She could. And at this moment, she considered it.

Applejack swallowed her anger, trying to be civil once more, ignoring the Prince as a subject. She exhaled, and sat back down, looking at the ground. “...How much time we got?”

The guards couldn’t help but feel a sting of guilt, but not that it would quell her pain.
“Your deadline is a month, starting now.”

“A-a month.” She repeated to herself, trying to process it. She looked up at the horizon, the castle of Prince Blueblood mocked her in the distance. She couldn’t find words that expressed her anger towards this injustice.

The guards started whispering amongst themselves.

“Maybe she could…?”
“She does seem to be pretty strong.”
“The Prince would never–”
“Well she seems to be desperate…”

Applejack gritted her teeth. “What are y'all whispering about.”

One of the guards chimed in. “W-well you see, the Prince is currently holding a tournament,”

The Farmer’s patience was up. “Not interested. Now if you excuse me, this is still our property, and I have to tell my family about our current situation. Please get out, or I'll make ya.”

The guards stumbled and got out of there, maybe a bit too fast.

The singing of birds and chirping of crickets she was used to did not distract her from the thoughts of all this being gone. As she looked back at her farm, the image of it being bulldozed flooded her mind, much to her dismay.

Applejack walked back towards her home, head low, thinking of what to do. “A month…”


“A month?? Ya can’t be serious!! Surely this ain’t legal!!” Granny Smith's denture almost fell from shock. All of the apple siblings looked at each other, concerned. Applejack, Big Mac and Applebloom all sat together around their living room table, ruminating on what could happen to them soon. The air felt heavy and still, their home felt like it could turn to dust with a sudden move.

“Afraid so, Granny. I read their paperwork, and it seemed pretty decisive.” Applejack had her head low. “I ain’t good with fine print, but it’s dire. I can say that much.”

Applebloom tried being optimistic, getting on top of the table, “B-but!! Our pies, our cider, surely we been selling enough to make whatever much money they want from us, right?” She looked around at each of them for any hopeful answer.

“Nope…” Big mac blurted, with sadness and shame.

Granny sighed. “Applebloom, ya know business has been tough, we’re scraping by… We’ve got enough for us, but…”

The little filly tried again. “Maybe there’s stuff we can sell? Or ask around town for help? Anything!”

Applejack hated to disappoint her sister. “How much do we sell before we lose who we are, Lil’ sis? All we have here has value to us… Practical or sentimental.”

“Yup…” Big mac agreed, unenthusiastically.

Applejack sighed. “And we can’t go asking around town for help, everypony’s strugglin’ just like us. It wouldn't be right.”

Applebloom’s eyes got watery. “This– This can’t be the end of apple acres!! Our home!! It just can’t be!!”

Applejack took a glance at her family, they were all hurting, filled with uncertainty and fear. Her little sister was on the verge of crying… The Farmer’s protective instincts activated like a switch had been flicked. She would not let anyone she loved get hurt, no matter what.

“I'm gonna fix it.” She got up with fiery determination. “Whatever it takes. I'm going to pay that prissy Prince Blueblood a visit and MAKE him listen.”

Applebloom’s eyes gleamed with joy on seeing her big sis’s drive.

Granny wasn’t sure. “Now now, you know we all wanna see that no good hoodlum be put in his place, but yer safety is important too, Applejack! Last thing we need is a Royal with some vendetta against us… And least of all you! Are ye sure ye–”

“I'm sure.” Applejack put her hat on. “I'm goin today. Now.” She started walking towards her door. Granny did not follow as quickly as her siblings.

“Can we come??” Applebloom excitedly and worryingly trotted by her. “Absolutely not! I cannot have any of you in any danger.” The Farmer was quick to reply, and decisive.

Granny Smith piped in with concern. “Applejack, Prince Blueblood ain’t exactly known for takin’ audiences with peasants… Much less treating them with any form of respect... ”

Applejack did not back down. “There’s a first time for everything.”

Big Mac stopped her, with concern. “Sis. You sure you don’t need me there too?”

Applejack appreciated the sentiment, but… She spoke in a lower tone, so as to not be heard by the others. “I need you here, Big Mac, in case they come back… And I don't. Promise you’ll keep them safe, ya hear?”

A flash of worry on her brother’s face. “E…. Eyup.” He agreed, concerned, but determined. An Apple pony always kept their promises.

They hugged, and the others joined, unsure of what would come next.

Applejack’s voice shook a bit. “Hold down the fort, now. Be careful, all of ya.”

“YOU be careful!!” Applebloom hugged tighter.

They let go, and Applejack got ready to go, taking a few bits on her travel sack, and some more personal effects that could be useful. Granny Smith gave her parting words. “Stay true to yerself Applejack! And don’t forget how much we love ya!” And the others agreed.

Applejack nodded back at them with a smile, and began galloping towards Prince Blueblood’s castle with determination.


“Now where the heck is everypony?” The Farmer muttered to herself, looking around. The small, but much more wealthy town that surrounded Prince Blueblood’s castle seemed to be nigh deserted.

As she approached the castle, she could hear music, and galloped towards it.

She turned a corner, and on top of a ticket booth, a pink Earth Pony Bard with an unruly mane was fiddling with an accordion.

“Heya! You there, where is everypony?” Applejack questioned.

The Bard yelped, startled, having not noticed the Farmer approached. “AAHH! Sorry! Are you here to see the tournament? Tickets sold out!! Even the booth guys got in, and I didn't!! I was stuck with advertisement duty and they just skedaddled!!! Worst day EVER.”

Applejack looked at the empty booth, the Bard, and without the sound of her banjo, she could hear cheering in the distance, on a stadium that stood nearby. “Tournament?”

The Bard gasped. “Wowa!! You don’t know? Prince Blueblood is holding a tournament for a thingamajig– some kind of battle royale–”

Applejack’s ears perked up. “Prince Blueblood is on that stadium there right now?”

The Bard nodded enthusiastically.

“I heard enough. Thanks! See ya.” And so she made her way towards the stadium with fierce determination.

The Pink pony smashed her head on the pavement jumping off the booth, but managed to recover, pinkiely. “Waitwait! The stadium is sold out! Whadaya want with the Prince anyways?”

Applejack did not look back. “Business related. That door there seems open, I'm takin’ it.” She pointed ahead and started galloping.

“Wait, that's for contestants!!!” The Bard's words were ignored by the Farmer.

The cheering and roaring of the crowd got gradually louder as she entered the building that too seemed to be nigh deserted. She then saw her first signs of life, A handful of guards, eagerly watching through a closed portcullis onto the stadium ahead. The cheering was much louder now.

“See? It’s locked! Contestants only, silly!” The Bard caught up with her.

“Scuse me.” Applejack shoved a guard aside.

“Umm! Ma’am, you’re not supposed to be back here–” one of the guards questioned. And once more, The Farmer ignored them completely.

She grabbed the metal gate and lifted it aloft effortlessly, walked to the other side, and then closed it again, much to the guards’s dismay and shock.

The Bard hopped on a table to see better, with her jaw dropped. “My goodness! Such strength! Methinks a legend is afoot!!” Then she grabbed a notepad from her bag and started scribbling in it.

“That is right, warriors!” Prince Blueblood’s voice boomed through a microphone. “A MILLION bits to whoever may rescue my fair Princess Rarity from the jaws of a fearsome dragon; but only to whoever amongst you earns the right to be my champion!”

He stood above all of them, on an VIP altar with his security, and around different stands of the stadium, fancy folk and commoners cheered with excitement.

Applejack moved towards the Center of the stadium, passing by multiple wooden objects such as barrels and crates and even desks and chairs, and also by twenty or so other pony mercenaries who seemed to be prepared for battle, some with armor, others battle gear. Her large frame was hard not to be noticed by them as they recoiled, confused, and slightly intimidated.

The crowd gradually got more quiet as the Prince hushed them so he could continue.

“You’ve all come here because you’re the best at what you do; and I only want the best! So you best be ready–” “PRINCE BLUEBLOOD!!” Applejack shouted, drawing attention from the entire arena, including the Prince. “I NEED TO TALK TO YOU”

A hush fell in the arena. A peasant, demanding the attention of the Prince was unheard of.

The Prince’s face turned to disgust. “Eugh. Why is a Commoner in my arena? Hello?”

Applejack did not falter. “I'M FROM APPLE ACRES. I'M HERE FOR MY HOME!!”

The Prince ignored her completely. “Contestants, please remove this lowly Peasant from my arena so that we may begin.

One of the warriors started trying to shove Applejack, and she did not budge, or even pay attention to them, her eyes were fixated on Blueblood.

Two more warriors tried pushing her, and she still did not budge. She yelled to get the Prince’s attention some more, and he paid her no mind.

It was only when five ponies pushed her that she started to slide slightly backwards.

Gritting her teeth and narrowing her eyes, she snarled. “Ya’ll ain’t gettin rid of me that easily.”

She started walking forward casually, which the ponies attempting to shove her failed to stop.

“I'M TALKIN TO YOU!”

The Prince was now getting annoyed. “Expel her from here violently, if you please.”

One of the warriors punched Applejack’s face with his hoof. She barely flinched, just glared at him. Other contestants attempted to do the same, with no success.

“She won’t go down!!” one of the contestants whimpered.

More mercenaries attempted to all gather around her, one even trying to hold her by headlock, and that’s when she snapped. Air puffed from her nostrils.

“Okay now ya asked for it.”

She bucked the warriors behind her, making them fall on eachother like dominos, and the ones that took in the kick directly were instantly down for the count, lucky to be wearing armor.

She then shook her head violently, making most of the ones around her stumble. The two directly next to her on each side she brought down by stomping their heads, pressing them on the floor. She then jumped and landed on her back, Crushing the poor warrior that tried holding her in headlock.

The crowd went from shock to wild enjoyment. The commoners, especially, were loving that one of their own was kicking ass. Now THIS was a show.

The pink Bard’s eyes widened and her jaw was agape, much like the guards around her. She squealed. “Legend!!!”

Applejack rid herself of any pony crowding her, and started hooving them. Their punches were barely felt by her, but her punches hit them like sledgehammers. She started running around the arena tackling any who would actually try and fight her.

After the Farmer grabbed one contestant and threw him at another like he weighed nothing, the Prince took notice that she was not going down.

“Half of the prize bits will be delivered to whichever champion puts an end to this peasant now!!” He scowled.

Applejack ignored him. There were a lot of barrels and crates in the arena, and she started bucking them, smashing them against her opponents.

One of the warriors grabbed a wooden chair and smashed it on her side. She barely flinched, glaring at him.

From behind the gates, the Bard yelled “GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!!!”

Applejack grabbed a wooden chair and served the merc the same he served her, except he was sent flying.

One of her opponents tried hitting her with a bat he held with his teeth; which landed directly on her head, but when he attempted a second hit, much to his dismay, she grabbed it with her teeth mid swing. And with a simple motion, tossed him away.

The crowd went wild with every hit she delivered.

That’s when she grabbed her lasso, and with a single motion, wrapped it around one of her opponents, who gulped.

She started spinning horizontally, and brought him with her, he cried as he was smashed against the remaining contestants.

The lasso wrapped itself on three remaining ponies, and the poor tied merc smashed against them.

Applejack breathed heavily, bruised but full of adrenaline. She looked around, no one else was standing. “WELL?? C’MON THEN!!!” She snarled. None dared challenge her. She wiped blood from her nostrils and forehead.

The crowd went ecstatic with her victory, not that she cared, but she would absolutely be seen as a folk hero after this.

She then looked back at the Prince defiantly, and was met with a wry smile. Guards above the stands pointed crossbows at her. Way too many.

She looked around in hesitation. She couldn’t fight her way out of this one.

The Prince smiled with his incredibly punchable teeth. “Very well then, people, we have our champion!”

The Peasants in the stands cheered wildly. “Champion what?” Applejack mumbled unheard.

As the crowd calmed down, the Prince took his usual bragging tone. “What is your name, my champion?”

Applejack frowned. “I ain’t your champion! I'm Applejack from Apple acres!! I'm here for my home!”

The Prince turned to his guards, puzzled. “Doesn’t ring a bell. Anypony?” The guards looked among each other, confused also. One of them piped in. “Their cider is really good!” he blurted.

The Farmer gritted her teeth. This Prince was gonna bulldoze her home and he didn’t even know her. She imagined herself crinkling his stupid little head like a soda can. “Your manzy pansy guards warned me you were gonna build a GOLF COURSE in my home a month from now!!”

“Aaah, yes, my beautiful new course. I can’t wait! Nevertheless, my champion, are you not aware of your task?” He looked down on her.

“What the hay are you talking about?!”

The Prince pondered a bit. “Ahem. You will rescue my fair Princess Rarity from the jaws of a fearsome dragon, or your little farm will be Bulldozed. Bring her to me, and you’ll have the reward money! One million bits. And well, keep in mind you have a month to do it, or your home is gone anyway!” He once again smiled with his teeth that begged to be knocked out.

Applejack had to wrap her head around that request. She felt dizzy; but it might have been from being punched in the face a couple times moments ago.

That task would force her to put herself in even more danger, and far from her family... But that reward… If she could acquire that, all their worries would be over.

Would Applejack fight a dragon to save her home and family? Without hesitation.

Still dizzy, she turned her head up. “A-alright! But on another condition; You’ll give me and my family full ownership of our land! No more payments to you!” she yelled.

The Prince scoffed. “You are in no position to demand anything, filthy commoner.” he waved his easily breakable little hooves around.

Applejack hesitated, considering her options. Looking around, she smiled. “Actually I very much am. Or would you rather ask one of these fellers to rescue yer prissie princess for ya?” She held up an utterly defeated warrior, who was absolutely in no position to fight anything and did not want to participate anymore. Poor guy.

The Prince frowned, one of his personal guards whispered at him. “Sir, it’s slaying a dragon. She’ll likely fail anyway.”

Blueblood blew raspberries. “Well, we’ll need more time to sort out a new tournament anyway. These lot were worthless… Or maybe I should just put out an open bounty…” Then he directed himself at Applejack. “Very well then. I agree to your terms. One of my servants will come by with an adjusted contract and a map for you!”

Applejack sighed in relief. She really wasn’t good at negotiations, she had just gotten really lucky.

A servant hesitantly approached the large bruised Farmer, intimidated by her figure.

“H-here you go, ma’am.” he whimpered, handing her over pieces of parchment.

“Thank you kindly.” She laid them on the floor and sat to review properly. “I’ll just have a look over the fine print, if ya don’t mind.”

Applejack did NOT want to be cheated out of this possible win. If she could get that money and secure her farm, all her worries would be over. Her family would be set for life.


The Bard furiously scribbled notes on her little notebook as after the Farmer won her fight in the arena. Whoever she was, she had the making of a legend, and the pink pony was highly interested. This could make for an incredible song!!

“Hey, Pinkie.” A familiar voice called from behind her.

Pinkie Pie gasped, turning around. “OH MY GOSH!! SUNSET!! how's it going!! It’s been a minute!!”

Before her stood a unicorn with red and yellow long hair, adorned with armor befitting of a veteran Paladin, except it was colored pitch black. She smirked, as Pinkie jumped to her and they did an elaborate hoof-shake that ended with a chest bump that knocked the Pink pony on the ground. “Hihihihi I keep forgetting how strong you are!”

The guards, noticing the commotion, no longer focussed on the fight, gave the dark armored Unicorn a salute. “Captain!” they affirmed. “At ease.” She dismissed them.

Pinkie gasped again. “Oh my gosh, you got promoted??”

The Unicorn chuckled, delighted. “Heh, yeah, a while ago. Had to happen sometime. It’s pretty good to be able to serve Twilight directly. She pulled some strings. But I guess Celestia must have been okay with it, if–”

Pinkie got a bit smug, approaching the Unicorn. “Twiiiiiilight, huh? And your promotion has nothing to do with her wanting to be clooooser to you maybe?”

The Palladin’s face got a bit red, nigh imperceptibly, as she frowned. “I resent the suggestion of me gaining my position through nepotism, Pinkie Pie.”

Pinkie shrugged. “Juuuust saying. Captain and Princess. Scandalous. Like sister, like brother, that Twi. If I had a nickel for every time…”

The unicorn scoffed, looking away, averting eye contact. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve earned my position through training, discipline and hard work.”

Pinkie agreed, even if keeping the very smug look.

She walked over to the gate Pinkie watched AJ through. “Speaking of strength. She’s really something, huh? Looks like Prince Blueblood got his champion after all…”
Pinke trotted over to her, nodding excitedly. “Now that has the making of a legend, right?? And she’s gonna go rescue Princess Rarity!!”

The captain scratched her chin. “Well, I certainly wouldn’t underestimate her, after this display. Twilight sends her love, by the way. She’s in the stands watching right now. She asked me to come down to meet… Appleback?”

“Applejack!”

“Right. Applejack. If someone can rescue Twilight’s friend, it’s of her great interest that she succeeds.”

The Captain’s eyes were fixated on the Farmer, reading her from top to bottom, discerning what kind of pony she was.

“She must be really, really desperate to take this job.” She murmured.

Pinkie fiddled with her banjo. “Gosh I hope that she makes it then!! I never met this ‘Rarity’ but if Twilight likes her, I like her.”

The Paladin Pondered. Then turned to the Bard. “Pinkie. You’re still looking for a legend, right?”

“Of course!”

“Well, could you do me and Twilight a big favor? And I mean a big favor.” She smiled.


Applejack exhaled. Everything was in order… She hoped.

You must rescue Princess Rarity from the dragon keep and bring her back to Prince Blueblood in under a month, unharmed.

Do this successfully, and you will earn one million bits and full ownership of Apple Acres.

She gazed at the map intently, her mind buzzing with how difficult the trip could or could not be. Her thoughts spiraled at the possibilities of danger she might face here, there and back, already considering her routes. She closed her eyes and thought of her family. If she pulled this off, everything would be okay.

Just travel to the edges of Equestria, fight a dragon, rescue a princess and bring her royal prissy hooves unharmed back here. Nothing to it. Easy peasy.

This had to work.

She put the contract and map on her backpack, making absolutely sure that they were safely there and would in no way be lost. They would be everything for her in these coming weeks.

She looked up at Prince Blueblood. “Alright! I’ll rescue yer Princess. I’ll make it back lickedy-split and we never have to deal with eachother again!” She delighted herself in the thought of never being in the presence of his very very punchable muzzle again.

The crowd once more cheered for their new champion.

The Prince once again smiled with his teasing teeth, who begged to be punched. “Nothing would please me more! Now off with you, filthy commoner.” He waved his dainty breakable hooves dismissively.

She turned around, delighted to be free of his royal pain, even if still pissed. “Ain’t gotta tell me twice, ya bastard.” She muttered, trotting back to the gate.

She once again opened it and closed it with ease. Behind it, The Bard and The Paladin waited for her.

The Paladin was the first to speak up. “Applejack, right? My name is Captain Sunset Shimmer. I'm here on behalf of my– ahem. on behalf of Princess Twilight Sparkle, regarding the rescue of Princess Rarity Belle.”

Applejack kept moving, single minded determination. “Sorry, but whatever yer sellin’ I can't buy. I’ve got plenty on my plate already.” She said trotting out of the arena.

Pinkie Looked at The Paladin and nodded at the Farmer. They both followed her.

The Captain kept up with her pace easily, Pinkie, on the other hand, had to sprint. “It may be in your interest to know the reason Princess Twilight is here is to investigate Prince Blueblood for corruption.” Applejack stopped on her tracks, then looked at Sunset.

She almost had to contain her laughter, hoping that this divine karma would smite the hateful Prince. “Well he’s obviously guilty. But could ya wait to arrest him or execute him until after I'm back with his princess? And by all means, please execute him; But I could really use that reward.”

Sunset smirked. “Don’t worry, that won’t be a concern; Twilight likes doing things the slow way. We want Rarity back even more than he does. I was hoping we could help you on your journey, however. Something tells me we can trust you.”

Applejack scoffed. “Well unless ya got some fancy dragon slaying tool or some kinda flying doohikey, I'm afraid ya can’t do much for me.”

Pinkie stepped forward talking much too fast. “How about some company? My name is Pinkie Pie, I'm a Bard, my life goal is to spread joy and laughter and fun all over Equestria, and I'm always looking for a new song!! And youuuuu are it.” She narrowed her eyes, pointing with her little fluffy hooves.

Applejack blinked. “What”

Sunset chuckled. “Pinkie was our Bard and jester at some point. Look, she’s a good travel companion, and we want someone to trust to aid in her rescue, and trust me that you can count on her for good company. Are you planning on going on the whole journey alone?”

The Farmer took a second to think. Well, traveling all that way would be incredibly lonely and stressful. And the way back with an annoying stuck up princess would be nigh unbearable. There was no way she was going to ask any of her siblings to come. She could never put them in that much danger.

She hesitated to trust the Captain. Another stuck up member of the high class in her eyes, but she did seem to carry herself out like someone that had been humbled at least once in her life… Her gaze was sharp, and decisive. Almost as if she could read Applejack’s mind.

Sunset’s eyes did not waver, did not hesitate. There was unending well of earned confidence in the Paladin that Applejack could notice, and she could tell that it meant she wasn’t lying.

Applejack looked at the Pink pony, that seemed to be vibrating of excitement. “I don’t have any bits to pay ya.”

Pinkie just giggled. “I’m off the clock, silly! Besides, if you feel like I deserve payment, you can always do it after you get the reward! I’m in this for the adventure!”

Applejack pondered for a moment, then made her decision. “Alright. But I ain't slowin’ down for nothin, ya hear? Yer gonna have to keep up.” She extended a hoof in greeting. “Pinkie, was it?” The Bard gladly shook her hoof intently. “Pinkie pie!”

“I'm Applejack. Good to meet ya. And you?” She extended a hoof to the other. “Captain Sunset Shimmer. It was good meeting you, Applejack. I hope your journey treats you well.”

The Paladin turned away. “I’ve got to go back to my– ahem, to Princess Twilight. You two be careful on your journey, alright? Keep her out of trouble, Pink.” The Captain couldn’t help chuckling a little bit, in consideration of asking Pinkie Pie, of all people, to stay out of trouble.

The Captain moved back to the arena without hesitation, and then simply teleported away.

They both waved goodbye. “Alright, where we off to?” The Bard giddily asked.

Applejack stared Pinkie down, puffing air from her nostrils. “Okay, listen to me now. This job is going to change my life and even my family’s life if I can pull it off. I can’t have anything slowing me down. Are ya going to slow me down, Bard?”

Pinkie was smiling, not intimidated. “Nope!” She could tell Applejack was a softie at heart.

The Farmer turned and already started walking. “First, Post office. I have to send a letter. Then we leave town.”

“Okidoki!” She skipped about, following her pinkiely.

Applejack couldn’t risk time on going back home and visiting her family. She especially couldn’t risk them trying to convince her not to endanger her life for them… again.

She was going to send a letter to them regarding her new mission, and after that… Well, she wouldn’t have contact for a while. The thought made her shudder. She missed her siblings already.

And she was not looking forward to meeting another annoying prissy royal…

Pinkie Pie accompanied her respectfully as she wrote and sent a letter, and every once in a while the Bard would write something down on her own little notebook.

The Peasant handed the letter to a googly eyed pegasus that ensured to her that it would be delivered asap.

The letter explained exactly what AJ was going to do, and specifically requested them not to try and stop her. Deep down, they knew they couldn’t, anyway. Her mind was made up.

And so, the Peasant and the Bard set out on their journey to rescue Princess Rarity.