• Published 14th Mar 2024
  • 225 Views, 11 Comments

The War - SpikeisBest



Dragons declared war on Equestria. Spike is their only hope

  • ...
 11
 225

Chapter 2

The massive army of dragons, after seeing their leader get wiped out, were weary to approach the group of ponies and the singular dragon. After several minutes of gathering courage and seeing the ponies in what seemed to be an argument, which was a good distraction, they decided that even if some more of them were to die it would be worth it to avenge their leader. They started to approach when all of the ponies noticed them. After their cover was blown they let out a fearsome warcry and charged. As they neared the group the lone dragon in their ranks drew his sword and charged the army. They were not expecting this and seeing as they had witnessed him single-handedly annihilate a good chunk of their ranks the dragons at the front of the charge suddenly stopped, but because the dragons behind them did not stop the ones at the front were unwillingly pushed to the living meat grinder that was the dragon.

Spike laughed on the inside as he watched the dragons try to push against the flow of the tide, and as he continued his charge he spared a quick glance behind him to reassure himself that his friends were following the plan and retreating. Now that his mind was at rest he suddenly stopped and swung his sword in a mighty arc using a two-handed grip. Steel tore scales from skin and flesh from bone as he laid waste to the forerunners of the horde. As he continued swinging his sword's condition slowly deterioated. Spike was a little disappointed that it was breaking so quickly, for it was a gift he received when he was promoted to captain. "Swords can be replaced but ponies can not" he told himself, and besides, he had a job to do. When his sword got to the point where it looked like it would snap, he stabbed it into the nearest dragon and took their war hammer. He wasn't a big fan of using big and bulky weapons, but he was still skilled with them.

Spike used the war hammer and smashed the skull of the nearest dragon to a pulp. He then quickly shifted where he was gripping the shaft and used it to block a sword swing that was coming at him, but the sword just got embedded into the shaft. Spike grabbed the sword with the intention of using it but he quickly realised that he would be better off with the war hammer, because the sword was much to short for his taste. With a small sigh he tossed the sword into the heart of another dragon, instantly killing it. He then broke the shaft of the war hammer in half where the sword cut it and using the side that had the tip of the weapon whacked a dragon into the waiting blades of its friends.

Risking a quick glance behind him and seeing that his friends were gone Spike focused and time seemed to slow down. He went through the steps of the spell that he had been working on in his head. Relax your mind. Calm your breath. Slowly breathe in. As he went about the steps of the spell, the dragons, not being entirely stupid, noticed that he seemed to be losing focus on the battle. As they all charged him, Spike released a large amount of smoke from his mouth, more than seemed possible, even for a dragon. While the dragons were trying to see through the smoke , Spike took to the air and flew away. A few of the dragons noticed this and tried to follow him, but that was where the second part of the spell kicked in. The smoke streamed into their nostrils and pushed the oxygen out of their lungs. As the dragons squirmed around on the floor Spike quickly left the scene of the battle. Spike felt disgusted with himself for fighting so dirty, but if they followed him then they might find the base. If they found the base, even if it was in Equestria, they would at the very least attempt to attack it. "No," he told himself "I must protect them, even if I feel disgusting."

As he flew Spike thought about what he would do next, now that Blacktalon was dead and he did not gain any leads. "Well I guess I could get in touch with my contacts again and see if they found anything that could help." He decided that it would be easier if he just went straight to the base instead of trying to find his team. He trusted them, they could handle themselves.

Spitfire was surprised that they were already almost back at the base. They had left the site of the battle about one and a half hours ago, so to already almost be back in Equestria was shocking. She was flying ahead of the rest of her team scouting out the terrain and making sure that it was clear of hostiles. She flew in a large circle around the rest of her team just to make sure that they were not being followed. As she finished her scouting mission and returned to her team she heard them making friendly banter. When she landed Shining Armor asked "Any sign of Spike?"

" Negative " She replied. "I bet you that when we get there he will already be back," Said Shining Armor "and I also bet that his sword broke from the shear amount of carnage that he caused with it."

"I'll take you up on that bet for twenty bits" Replied Spitfire. They finished the deal with a hoofshake.

forty-five minutes later

As the group of ponies approached the outpost they were approached by a soldier who said "I take it you are looking for Spike," To which they nodded "Well he's in the practice field."

"Thanks for the help." Said Spitfire.

Author's Note:

If you read this then hi