• Published 6th Feb 2024
  • 298 Views, 24 Comments

Don't Stop Believing - Seer



Heavy is the head that wears the crown

  • ...
1
 24
 298

Strangers Waiting

Twilight regarded the rocks with a cautious, almost feral glower. Like that time just after she’d woken up, when she’d heard noises in the castle library. It was just the wind. All the noises she’d heard here must have been the wind, or some precariously left item dropping somewhere in the dead, dead world.

The knocking happened again.

Her ear twitched. She lit her horn dangerously. Falling stones, the effect of this rubble, the one part of the world that actually seemed damaged. Why was that? Why did everywhere else look like everyone had disappeared mid-routine, whereas this looked like someone had intentionally destroyed it?

Maybe this happened before the event.

Maybe there was a cave in.

There was an explanation.

She was alone here.

She had accepted she was alone and pretending otherwise wouldn’t help anyone.

And yet.

Twilight reached out and knocked rhythmically on the rocks.

Something knocked back.

Falling stones, dislodging more rubble, her knocking creating more knocking, an echo?

She was alone here.

And yet.

“Hello?” Twilight asked, something more like choking than speaking.

The silence stretched out for time that Twilight didn’t mark. Maybe it was the lack of brainpower, maybe the exhaustion, but Twilight nearly always could tell exactly how much time had passed. Maybe it was the resignation.

Maybe it was the accursed burden of belief.

Her eyes flicked up, and she squinted in confusion. She saw motes of dust dancing sporadically, moved by the silent wind. She tilted her head, fur raised in some amalgam of exhaustion and anger and daring to dream. A crack in the rocks up high was pierced by a spear of light. Golden, warm looking. A relic.

But that would mean…

“Bonjour?” came a voice from behind rock.