• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 1,416 Views, 12 Comments

Her Own Magic - TheCaptinLove



This is about Scootaloo and her relationship with her mother, Derpy, as well as some others

  • ...
4
 12
 1,416

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Derpy could hardly remember anything from this afternoon. She remembered that as she was flying into Baltimare she felt a tremendous shock before crashing to the ground. From there everything was a fuzzy blur until the point she fell into a drug induced sleep. She was now awoken by a pain in her side. Her thinking was clouded from all the drugs they had her on so it took her a moment to identify the orange mass curled up against her as Scootaloo. Her daughter was crying but appeared to be in a state of half-sleep. The filly was muttering something but Derpy wasn’t able to understand it.

“She seems to have cried an awful lot” thought Derpy to herself “we must be out of muffins…wait, that’s me who does that.” She tried to raise her head and ask Scootaloo what the matter was, but the moment she tried she found hadn’t the strength to do so. “Sweet Celestia, I’m tired.” She looked down at Scootaloo “it looks like you are to, and its way past your bedtime anyway”. She unfurled her wing and covered her daughter, “you can sleep with me tonight and tell me about it tomorrow”. Her last thought before the drugs pulled her back into sleep was “I love you, little one”.

In the morning Rainbow Dash went to the hospital to check in on Derpy before going back home. No visitors were allowed last night, so she figured she would just wait to see her along with the Doctor today. Unfortunately his train was delayed and he would not be getting in until noon. She decided just to stop by to say hello before flying back to Ponyville to let everypony know that Derpy would be alright. She found the room where Derpy was and approached the door. She noticed that it was slightly ajar and so, not being able to help herself, she peeked inside. She saw that Derpy was still sleeping. She thought perhaps it would be better to let her sleep and return to Ponyville right away. Before leaving however she noticed Scootaloo on the bed with her. “What, how did she get here?” She then recalled the orange streak that zipped passed her last night. “No way” was all she could say upon that realization. She said it a little too loud however which caused Scootaloo to begin to stir.

Scootaloo’s sudden movement cased a sharp pain in Derpy’s side which caused her to wake instantly. “Ow, please be careful how you move around Scootaloo.”

“Mom, you’re alright” called out Scootaloo excitedly.

“Yeah” said Derpy as she rose into a sitting position, cringing the whole time she was moveing, “maybe not 100% but I’m fine”. Scootaloo suddenly hugged her tightly. “Argh, gently, gently” she said through clenched teeth.

Scootaloo backed out of the hug. “Sorry about that” said Scootaloo, tears of joy streaming down her face, “I’m so happy you’re alright”. Scootaloo felt Derpy wrap her own forelegs around her.

“Hey, you called me mom. It’s been awhile since you’ve last called me that.”

“I know” said Scootaloo in a solemn voice “it’s been awhile since I’ve done anything right by you hasn’t it?”

“What?”

“I know that I’ve been treating you horribly and you didn’t deserve it. And I’m so very sorry for it.”

Derpy began stroking her sobbing daughter’s mane and said “It’s alright dear, I understand. You’re getting older and you want to assert your independence…”

“No, that’s not what it was at all.”

“It was something else?”

“Yes, I’ve been so angry for the longest time and I’ve been throwing it all at you” Scootaloo tearfully confessed.

Derpy started to rub her back. “Why were you so angry?”

“I don’t know, I think that, maybe, I was actually mad at Rainbow Dash.”

“Why are you angry at her?”

“I idolize her, I mean I’m president of her fan club for Pete’s sake, but she never pays any attention of me. The few times she does speak to me it’s nothing more than a ‘what’s up kid’ or something like that. And the only time she ever spends with me is just her showing off some of her flying moves. Which I like and all, but I’ve always wanted her to…” she trailed off as she was at a loss for words.

“You want her to acknowledge you and you feel like she doesn’t care for you all.”

“Yeah” said Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash who had been listening the whole time slowly walked away from the door, feeling just about as rotten as she ever felt. She took off through an open window and slowly made her way back to Ponyville.

“You know I’ve known Rainbow Dash for a long time” said Derpy. “She moved to Ponyville after graduating so that she could live in the same town as Fluttershy. Even back then she was popular and she liked to show off. To tell the truth she’s never really grown up. And while she can be insensitive at times she really is a good pony and would never intentionally hurt anypony.” Scootaloo nodded but seemed unconvinced. “It’s far more likely that she has no idea how much you look up to her, she’s also not the most observant of ponies.”

“Maybe, but I should never have taken it out on you.”

“I forgive you, and thank you for telling me about what’s been bothering you. It’s good to get things like this out in the open like this, right?”

“Yeah”

“Try to remember that these are the sort of things you can talk to me about. That way we can resolve them before they become a problem.”

“I will, I won’t ever let anything ruin our relationship again.”

“There’s nothing that ever could Scooty.”

“I still don’t like that nickname though.”

“Alright I won’t call you that anymore.”

“But hey, it’s alright for me to call you mommy again isn’t it?”

“Of course” said Derpy kissing her daughter on the cheek “I would very much like that.” The two shared a time of silence for quite some time but it was eventually broken by Derpy. “Tell me something, how did you get here from Ponyville anyway.”

Scootaloo had not really been thinking about anything except getting to her mother during her her mad dash to Baltimare. Now having her attention brought to last night’s events left her nearly at a loss for words. “I…I flew” she finally managed to say.

“You flew here” exclaimed Derpy who was equally surprised and joyous all at once. “How in Equestria did you manage to do that?”

“I don’t know. I wasn’t really thinking about it at the time. I just knew I had to get to you and I did, I can’t explain how it happened. I mean didn’t Twilight say that I’d never be able to fly because I didn’t have any magic?”

Derpy thought over it for a while then shrugged and with a smile said “I guess you found your own magic”.