• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 1,415 Views, 12 Comments

Her Own Magic - TheCaptinLove



This is about Scootaloo and her relationship with her mother, Derpy, as well as some others

  • ...
4
 12
 1,415

Prologue

Prolog

Derpy and Fluttershy were flying just over the canopy of the Everfree forest. They both were wearing their saddle bags which contained various herbs. “Thank you again for helping me gather these ingredients” said Fluttershy “I just can’t believe I ran out of medicine right when those poor animals start getting sick.”

“I’m happy to help, besides I’ve been meaning to come exploring in the forest for a while” replied Derpy.

“What” gasped the yellow pegasus “why would anypony what to come in here when they didn’t have to?”

“Well, the Everfree forest is a weird place that doesn’t work like other places in Equestria, right?”

“Yes” said Fluttershy nervously. The thought of an environment that ran on its own accord without any supervision from ponies gave her the chills.

“So just think of all the possibilities there are when nothing plays by the rules here; What if we were able to find a muffin tree!?”

“Oh, well I-I don’t know if…that…wait, do you hear that?”

“Hear what…” Derpy then heard what sounded like loud, shrill crying coming from a distance. “What is that?”

“I’m not sure, but I think it might be some poor, hurt animal. We should go see if we can help.” The two speed of toward the sound of the noise until they were right on top of it. They landed in a clearing and ran over to where the crying was coming from. They found a tiny orange filly, probably not more than a day or two old. “Oh my goodness" cried Fluttershy as she picked up the filly. “Oh my goodness!” she cried again with a shrill voice. “Derpy she’s freezing, we have to get her to the hospital immediately.”

“Hello” Derpy called out “has anypony lost a baby.”

“Derpy” Fluttershy yelled.

“Right, there’s nopony here, let’s go.”

Derpy and Fluttershy sat in the waiting room until Nurse Redheart walked in. “How is she” asked a miserably worried Fluttershy.

“We’ve fed her and warmed her up so she’s doing much better now. I want to keep her here over night and run some blood tests just to be on the safe side, but as far as I can tell she’s just fine now.”

“Thank goodness” Fluttershy sighed.

“Now, I just want to clarify what I was told. You two just found her all alone out in the forest?”

“That’s right” replied Derpy “there wasn’t anypony else around.”

“Hmm, very troubling” Redheart muttered.

“Do you think something may have happened to her parents? I mean Cloudsdale just drifted nearby Ponyville just this morning. Maybe her parents came down to sight see and didn’t know that the forest is dangerous.”

“Perhaps, but Derpy that foal can’t be more than a day or two old. I doubt the mother, would be up for an outing so soon after giving birth. And why wouldn’t have whatever could have gotten two adult pegasi not have taken a defenseless foal?”

“But, what else could have happened?”

Redheart sighed and decided not to reveal her suspicions. “It doesn’t matter, what’s important is that you found her before it was too late.”

“Um, could we, i-if it’s not too much trouble, see the foal” asked Fluttershy. Nurse Redheart gave her a questioning look. “Well, I want to see her now that she’s alright. It’s just that when we found her she was so…please I just want to see that she’s okay.”

Nurse Redheart decided to indulge the young pegasus and motioned for her and Derpy to follow. She had learned to be sympathetic for the need for peace of mind in friends and families of patients. And since Fluttershy had come to live in Ponyville a few months ago she had come to know her well enough to know that if the yellow mare concerns were not assuaged then she’d very likely be back to the hospital suffering from a nervous breakdown before the night was out.

“The babies are sleeping now so please be quiet” Redheart said as she opened the door. Fluttershy and Derpy both entered the room and approached the indicated bassinet. The orange filly had been cleaned up and was now wrapped tightly in a blanket and sleeping peacefully. “Well as you can see she’s perfectly alright so you needn’t worry anymore. My only concern now is going to be finding somepony willing to adopt her” sighed Redheart “Unless one of you wants her” she added jokingly.

“Oh, I would like take her” said Fluttershy. She often fantasized about being a mother as many girls do at times, and she couldn’t help but fall in love with that little bundle.

“What?” exclaimed Redheart, in a hushed voice. “Fluttershy I was just joking and you can’t possibly take care of a foal.”

“But I’m really good at taking care of things.”

“Of animals yes, but taking care of a baby is completely different. They need near constant attention, there are diaper changes to worry about, you have to feed them when they want to be feed, which is often. And speaking of feeding, you are still practically a foal yourself so you certainly won’t be giving any milk which means you’ll have to either hire a wet nurse, which I know you couldn’t possibly afford, or buy formula which wouldn’t be nearly as healthy and would still cost money you don’t have. I know you’re working on getting certified as a royal caretaker of animal life, which doesn’t happen overnight especially considering your age, but until you get that you don’t have a steady income to support yourself much less a baby. And those are only the immediate concerns. Could you provide a growing foal with a steady home life? You’re aren’t likely to be able to do it yourself as you are much too young to even know where to begin with babies, and you don’t have any kind of partner to support you in raising a child. Furthermore could you guarantee a good education for her…?” Nurse Redheart continued on about all the reasons why Fluttershy wouldn’t be able to raise a child properly which by this point had brought the young pegasus to tears.

Derpy stepped between them and said “That’s enough” in a surprisingly authoritative voice. “As you’ve pointed out multiple times she’s still a child herself, so cut her some slack.”

Nurse Redheart took a moment to breath, “Right”.

Derpy turned to Fluttershy and said “Look, Fluttershy it’s really sweet of you to offer to raise her, and I know you would give it your very best. But she’s right you know; you just aren’t in a position to care for a foal.”

“I-I suppose you right” sniffled Fluttershy.

“Besides, you need to focus on your school work and getting your certification for animal husbandry, and taking care of the animals right now.”

“Okay” whispered the no longer crying but still pathetic looking Fluttershy.

“Alright then” said Redheart after calming down “let’s get back to business now. Do either of you happen know a family in Ponyville that would want to adopt her?”

“I will” said the again cheerful looking Derpy.

Nurse Redheart was hesitant for a moment. She really couldn’t think of any reason Derpy’s family would be unsuitable. After all she and that Doctor fellow seemed to have done a good job raising Sparkler thus far. “Are you certain you’d want to? I know you’re already going to be adopting Golden Harvest’s baby after she gives birth, are you sure you can handle it?”

“I know I can, but more importantly I know I can love her like she needs to be, every bit as much as love Sparkler and Carrot Top’s baby.”

Nurse Redheart couldn’t help by smile briefly. Despite Derpy’s flaws she was just about the most loving pony she had ever met. Derpy was the sort of mare who would care for every foal in Equestria as her own if she were able. “Well, I have no objections. But this is something you should talk over with your family before making a decision.”

“Oh yeah” Derpy giggled “I guess I should.”

“Talk it over with them tonight, and if you are still sure tomorrow come and see me and I’ll make the arrangements. I have to get back to work now so I’ll need you to leave now. Oh, and I’m sorry for losing my temper at you Fluttershy. I’m afraid I’ve doing that far too often lately.”

“Maybe you should take some vacation time and relax” suggested Derpy.

“No time for any of that, good evening.”

Derpy and Fluttershy exited the hospital. “Hey Fluttershy, do you want to go out for muffins before heading home” asked Derpy.

“No thank you” moaned Fluttershy miserably.

“Did she really upset you that much?”

“Well she was right wasn’t she; I’m not fit to be mother.”

Derpy placed a hoof on her shoulder “Maybe not now, but that’s only because you are young. You’ve got a good heart though and when the time comes I know you’ll be a terrific mother. And you’ve got quite a bit of growing up to do before you should be worrying about something like that. You’re already dealing with more than somepony your age ought to, what with living on your own and getting certified as an official caretaker of animals. All when you’re just barely out of foalhood. I really wish you had come to live with me.”

“Um, it’s not that I don’t appreciate your offer, I really do like the idea of living with you but…I just can’t.”

“I know you have problems being around others. Still I wish you would, I really think my family and I could help you overcome your social anxieties.” Fluttershy looked away, ashamed. “Just know my doors always open for you. Anyway my point is that your circumstances have forced you to grow up to fast and all I’m saying is try not to grow up faster than is necessary.”

“You’re right” said Fluttershy, wiping her eyes and forcing a smile “besides I have my hooves full as it is taking care of the animals.”

“Speaking of which, do you think we got enough ingredients for the sick ones?”

“This will be enough for tonight. I really should be getting back to them now, but thank you so much again for your help” said Fluttershy as she flew off.

“You’re welcome again. Have a good night” Derpy called out to the yellow pegasus. “Alright, a quick muffin run and then home.”

The Doctor and Sparkler didn’t take much convincing and before long the little filly, whom they decided to name Scootaloo, became part of the family.

She was such a tiny thing with a seemingly endless reservoir of energy, as most pegasi foals are, as such it was quite the ordeal keeping up with her, and Derpy loved every minute of it. Words could hardly describe her joy when Scootaloo said her first word, “Mommy”.