• Published 29th Dec 2011
  • 1,292 Views, 58 Comments

As I'm Falling to Pieces - Pinkamena Diane Pie



Lightning must survive through the Wastelands, looking for a cure for his infected beloved.

  • ...
6
 58
 1,292

Chapter XXXVII: Lost, But Not Forgotten

Chapter XXXVII: Lost, But Not Forgotten

After what had happened in the hospital, Applejack was ecstatic. She was positive that Rarity would make a full recovery. Lightning wasn’t so sure. He felt that Rarity was just copying what Applejack did, not responding to it. But he didn’t say anything. Applejack was at her happiest since the wedding, and he didn’t want to ruin that.

The next morning, they walked, hoof in hoof, towards the mess hall. One again, the sounds of hundreds of ponies eating and talking, blasted out of the doors. Pushing the doors open, Lightning looked around for everypony. He finally spotted them, including Cora, at the table near the far wall. Phoenix spotted them and waved them over. He was smiling so much, Lightning was afraid his jaw would break.

They made their way over to the table, avoiding ponies carrying food trays in their mouths or in the air with magic. They finally made it, without any serious accident, and sat down next to Rainbow Dash. Lightning looked around the table, and saw a Pegasus sitting next to Phoenix. Phoenix noticed him looking.

“Oh, yeah! You two have never met.” he wrapped his front leg around the Mare’s shoulders, kissing her on the cheek. “This is Celia.”

Even Lightning had to admit it. She was stunning. Soft pink fur that glowed in the dim lighting. A violet mane that pooled on her shoulders and fell down her back. Soft purple irises that showed love, but also a hint of mischief. Lightning couldn’t help but stare at her. Applejack noticed, and elbowed him in the ribs.

“Celia, this is Lightning and Applejack. They are the ones I was telling you about.” Phoenix said, beaming at them.

“It’s good to meet you.” she said. Her voice was a mixture between a soft tone, and clipped syllables. Lightning had never heard a dialect like it. He wondered where she was from. “Phoenix has told me so much about you.” she leaned over the table slightly, getting Applejack’s belly in view. “Including that. Do you know what gender it will be?”

“It will be a colt.” Applejack said, clearly loving the attention. “Phoenix said that you were having a filly.”

Celia dropped her hooves to her own stomach, caressing the slight bump. “Yes. I was so happy when I found out. It had been so long since I had seen a baby.” she sighed. She looked up from he belly, her eyes filled with remorse. “12 has a selective breeding experiment in place. They are trying to bring down the population, but also make the babies who are born, stronger and healthier than their parents. Even if I hadn’t have gotten a transfer, I would have been kicked out because it was an unauthorized pregnancy.”

Applejack looked horrified. “They can’t do that! How can they do that? That’s...disgusting!” she said, for lack of a better word.

“It is, but I had seen it happen before. So I transferred as soon as possible.” she dropped her head onto Phoenix’s shoulder, smiling. “And, I guess, it could have been worse.” she said, jokingly.

The rest of breakfast went by fast. Questions flew back and forth. Conversation, jokes. It was probably the best breakfast Lightning had been to for a while. All the while, he saw why Phoenix loved her so much. She was kind, caring, and funny. She even had the same sense of humor as Phoenix did, pretend flirting with Lightning just as Phoenix did with Rainbow. It was impossible not to like her.

Finally, Celia looked up at the clock on the wall. She stood up. “Sorry, but I have to go to the lab. I will see you guys at lunch.” she winked at Lightning, causing Phoenix to burst out laughing. She walked through the door and disappeared. Lightning turned to Phoenix, his eyes wide.

“How, in the hell, did you marry her.”

“The truth?” phoenix said, leaning over the table sightly. “I don’t even know myself. We just sort of, work. It’s like you and Applejack. No pony knows why, but it just works.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?” Applejack said, standing up. Phoenix put his hooves up in a sign of surrender.

“Nothing, nothing.” but he winked at Lightning. “Anyway, I have to take off. Gotta do some repairs on the Buggy. See ya at lunch.” he got up and walked through the same doors that Celia did.

Over the next couple minutes, the rest of the ponies left, eventually leaving Lightning and Applejack alone. Lightning sighed. “Man, I really need a job around here.”

Applejack laughed. “Trust me, a job isn’t that great. All Ah used to do is work. Now, Ah can relax.” sh wrapped her fore-legs around Lightning’s neck. He kissed her, then pulled her to her hooves, walking back towards the doors.

“Well, let’s relax then.”

*****

Three days later, they walked around on the surface for a while, watching the Pegasi fly around. Rainbow Dash waved at them when she saw them. She had slimmed down slightly over the past couple weeks. Exercising was doing wonders for her.

The surface was starting to look like it had before the bombs, according to Applejack. Plants grew out of the depleted soil. The sun shown down, unhindered by acid-filled clouds. Real animals wandered around the Bunker, brought by both the vegetation and Fluttershy, who was sitting against the Bunker, feeding them. She was singing the same song that Lightning had heard her sing when he first woke up.

I lay down, in a field of blue

wondering what to do about you

suddenly, a bright flash of white

brilliant, shocking light

When next the world, I could see

there you were, standing next to me

down in the valley, the fiery mushroom grew

together, you and me, in a field of blue

Lightning turned around to look at the Bunker. Mechanics were working non-stop to try to make it more resistant to attacks. The door had been reinforced and given added security. He wondered if they had ever thought of posting guards or adding traps around the Bunker. But it didn’t matter. They had survived two attacks, so he wasn’t worrying about another.

They lay down in a patch of newly-grown grass. Lightning picked some, blade by blade, savoring the taste of the new life. Applejack was watching the sun slowly move across the sky. It had been a long time since she had seen it, uncovered and blindingly bright. It seemed like forever since she had felt it’s warmth. She might spend more time up here now. She might even start a small farm, just to have something to do.

Lightning wondered what his life would have been if he had not stopped to save Applejack. What would he be doing right now? He probably would still be wondering the Wastes, or he could be dead. He didn’t know, nor did he care, but he was glad that he had stopped for Applejack.

A loud, piercing scream shattered Lightning’s thoughts. He looked up to see Rainbow plummeting towards the ground, a rainbow trail following her. Her normal wing was flapping uselessly, her metal wing was standing still. One of the brass feathers had slid over another, jamming it. With fear and desperation playing off her face, she looked at Lightning for help. She screamed as the ground was rushing up to meet her.

Suddenly, she was surrounded by a purple aura. She stopped screaming as she noticed the glow, but her eyes were still panicked. Her decent slowed, until finally, she hung in midair. Then, she disappeared. With a slight pop she reappeared next to Lightning, who jumped and galloped a few feet away. She stumbled a little, then fell to the ground.

Applejack rushed over, pulling Rainbow to her hooves. Rainbow brushed herself off, then gave a half-hearted, “Thanks.”

“What happened?” Lightning asked, adrenaline still running through him. Rainbow swore.

“It’s the damn wing again. Hasn’t jammed like that in a long time.” she said, trying to straighten the metal feathers. With a scraping sound that made Lightning grind his teeth, the feathers separated. She flapped her wings, and the metal one moved with the normal one. Rainbow sighed, then looked up suddenly, her eyes wide.

“Wait! Who saved me?” she looked around, then her eyes fell on the Bunker. “Ohhhhh...”

Lightning followed her gaze. He saw what she saw, and he smiled.

Twilight was walking towards them, a small smile on her lips. Her horn was still glowing from saving and teleporting Rainbow. When she reached the group, she shook her head and looked at Rainbow Dash.

“I really wish you would let me work on that wing. Some reconstructive surgery and you could fly like you used to.”

“How many times do I have to tell you, Twilight. I don’t want it to be operated on.” she said, rolling her eyes. “Anyway, what are you doing up here?” Twilight grinned, and turned to Applejack.

“I told you that I would tell you if there was any improvement.” she said, the small smile returning. “Well, there has.”

Applejack didn’t believe what she was hearing. That soon? What has changed? “How did it happen so fast? You said that it would take a couple more weeks.”

“Well, I decided to try to bring up some more Sweetie Belle memories, since those seemed to work the best. I brought up the memory from the Sisterhooves Social.” Twilight paused for breath. “Almost over night, she was better. Now, she is ready to talk to you.”

Rainbow Dash took off into the air, yelling,. “AHHHHHH YEEEAAAAAHHH!!! Can we see her now?” she asked, touching back down to earth.

“Yes, she said as soon as possible.” Twilight smiled. “You two did a good job with helping me.”

Fluttershy suddenly appeared at Twilight’s shoulder. “Umm.. what’s going on?”

“Rarity is better!!” Applejack yelled, causing Fluttershy to squeak and retreat slightly. When she had regained her composure, she turned to Twilight.

“Is that true? Is she really better?”

“Yes, she is. And if you guys would hold on a second, I can get us down there fast.” She waved them all in closer, pulling them into a circle. She had them put their fore-legs on each others shoulders. When they was accomplished, she closed her eyes. Her horn began to glow, and lightning felt the feeling of weightlessness. A purple aura surrounded them, and Lightning felt the ground disappear from beneath his hooves.

When he next opened his eyes, he saw the clean, white, sterile floors of the hospital. Looking around he saw that they were in the space outside Rarity’s room. The curtains over the window were shut, so he could not see in. Lightning looked at Twilight in confusion.

“She said that she wanted some privacy. She is a little self-conscious about her appearance.” she smiled at this, as if it was a joke. She walked over and stood next to the door.

“Now remember, she is still very fragile. So I don’t want any loud noises,” she looked at Rainbow, “Any sudden movements”, she looked at Applejack, “Or any touching.” she looked at Fluttershy. “If we can keep that under control, this should go swimmingly.” She opened the door, allowing them to enter. Lightning couldn’t believe his eyes.

Sitting on the bed was a completely different Mare. Gone from her eyes, was the look of murderous rage. Gone was the struggling and screeching. She sat there, hair and fur washed, without bonds, watching them slowly file into the room. She smiled when she saw Twilight, who smiled back. When they were all inside, Twilight shut the door behind them. Applejack walked over and stood next to her bed, her hoof on Rarity’s.

“How are you felling, Sugarcube?” she asked, eyes and voice filled with worry.

Rarity smiled, pulling Applejack into a hug. Twilight looked worried, but she didn’t move. When they broke apart, Rarity opened her mouth.

“I know. I look hideous.”