• Published 7th Jan 2013
  • 290 Views, 2 Comments

Around the Fur - GettingOutOfHoof



An invasive species leads to the possible downfall of Equestria

  • ...
 2
 290

Lateralus

"So I had another dream," Nimbus said vacantly to nopony in particular. His golden eyes were glazed over and his pupils were dilated. He shifted on the couch and noticed how greasy his silver coat felt. How long has it been since I showered? Days? He immediately dismissed this thought, deeming it unimportant. He grabbed a glowing mushroom from the bowl on the table in front of him and began to chew.

"Oh yeah?" an equally vacant, but feminine voice replied. Blossom loved listening to Nimbus talk about his dreams, they were so intense.

"Yeah, I dreamed I could fly again. But this time I flew to the west, past the mountains. As I flew, I came across a flock of phoenixes. I called out to them, and one by one they burst into flame. I wept as their ashes fell from the sky. Then, I heard a voice call to me from the earth, so I began my descent. As I came closer to the ground, I heard the screams of the phoenixes. I landed and saw a horror I will never forget . The phoenixes, th-they were just one jumbled mess. All together, crying out to me, begging for help, Blossom. Some were reborn with the ashes from their lungs too far away and they suffocated,"

Tears had formed in both ponies' eyes. Blossom was shaking, the haunting words of her friend had struck a chord deep inside her. "What else happened?" She whispered, her dark blue eyes begging him to finish the dream.

"I tried to tell them they would be alright, but I had no voice. I screamed, and screamed, and SCREAMED. I couldn't make a fucking sound. I kept screaming, but then one phoenix looked at me, into me, and whispered 'keep flying'. I began running, trying to take off, but my wings were as worthless as they are now."

Nimbus struck his hoof on the table, shaking the dirty dishes that had accumulated on the surface. Hot tears streamed down his face, but he didn't make a sound.

"I failed them. The phoenix asked me to do one thing and I fucked it up." He whispered.

Blossom sobbed, hiding her face behind her white mane. Nimbus's dreams always got a strong emotional response out of her, positive or negative. His voice always captivated her imagination. She got out of her chair and sat next to Nimbus and leaned on his shoulder. The two comforted each other, and soon after the tears stopped.

And just as the tears stopped, the high of candentis mors began.

Nimbus's world melted away and piece by piece, a new world was created before him.


The world is a never ending spiral. The spiral is kind. A deep hum is the only sound present. Colorless shapes and shapeless colors glide effortlessly along the spiral, never taking a moments rest. The spiral is all they know. It is all they want to know. Nimbus is at a loss of words. The spiral becomes aware of his presence.

Hello, Nimbus. The spiral greets him silently. Nimbus feels this greeting pulsating within the spiral, encompassing everything. Encompassing him. The spiral has been patient. The eons of waiting are finally over.

The spiral ascends.

H-how do you know me? Nimbus's thoughts tremble, fearing a response. The nervous inquiry vibrates throughout the spiral. The shapes and colors pause. They timidly observe the newcomer. Could it be him? They wonder.

The spiral laughs. A warm tingling permeates its entirety. The sensation relaxes Nimbus. The shapes and colors resume their infinite flight.

Do not be afraid, Nimbus. I have a gift for you. A golden glow encompasses Nimbus. Knowledge floods his mind. An eternity of information, all his. The spiral bestows upon the pony all the tools that he will need. The glow fades.

The spiral descends.

Nimbus is frozen. It was all perfectly clear now. Everything. He falls to his knees, feeling unworthy of a blessing such as this. Guilt begins to grip him. Why? He asks, Why me? Nimbus suddenly becomes aware of a hole. A hole in the blessing he received. Why would the spiral withhold anything from him?

The spiral becomes frigid. A deep depression, deeper than the deepest ocean, invades the atmosphere. It is the feeling of heartbreak.

Forgive me, my child. Pain floods the spiral. Shapes and colors cry in agony, sending coarse vibrations and rough pulses in every which direction. Nimbus feels every fiber of his being being set aflame. Nimbus silently screams as the frostbite consumes him.

The spiral ascends.

The world fades.


Nimbus was back in his living room.

"The drug Candentis Mors,also known as, 'candies', 'glowing death', 'GD', or 'G Caps', is a modern day plague. In Equestria. one in five ponies is addicted...

Blossom had turned the television on. From what he heard, Nimbus deduced that the local news station was airing a special on candies. Again. "Probably just bullshit and propaganda. As usual." He snorted. Blossom turned her head to look at him.

"Oh hey, you're up. You okay? You looked like you were havin' a bad trip towards the end there." There was a hint of concern in her voice. He always said she worried about him too much, but she couldn't help but ask. Nimbus was one of the few ponies that hadn't left her. She wasn't going to let anything happen to him anytime soon.

"...the glowing fungi is believed to have originated somewhere in the Griffon territories that lie North of Equestria...

"Yeah, I'm good. It was pretty good 'til the very end." Nimbus replied. He loudly popped his back and inspected his bad wing disdainfully.

"Is it bothering you again? You should really see a doctor about that."

"Hay no! You know they don't treat cap-heads like us, man. Sides, there's no point; you can't fix wingrot," the pegasus sighed. The disease had struck him 3 years prior. He wasn't completely sure about the mechanics or biology or whatever of it, All the doctors said was that it was some rare form of necrosis that mysteriously stopped at the wing.

"...sold by griffon refugees fleeing the violent feudal system of their homelands.."

"Oh..Right," Blossom felt stupid. She knew there was nothing that could be done, so why did she always suggest the same thing every time? She decided not to dwell on it and just watch the TV.

...spread like wildfire. Glowing Death is now a factor in sixty-seven percent of all crime in Equestria, and eighty-four percent of violent crimes. If you have any infor-"

THUMP THUMP THUMP

"POLICE! OPEN UP!"

Nimbus and Blossom froze.

THUMP THUMP THUMP

"..for that excellent report, Silver Bell. And now to Sun Dance for the weather...