• Published 25th Dec 2023
  • 779 Views, 8 Comments

Shoot. Let's Be Santa. - RunicTreetops



You have way too many plans with your friends and family this Hearth's Warming Eve, but you won't let them down! ...Probably.

  • ...
8
 8
 779

Applejack's Gift-Giving Dilemma

“Alright, so what’s the occasion?”

The two of you come to a stop in the middle of Ponyville’s humble little market. There are quite a few ponies walking to and fro, likely doing some last-minute holiday shopping. The air is still quite cold, but compared to Yakyakistan and the Everfree blizzard, it feels downright comfortable.

You turn towards Applejack as you wait for a response. She asked if you could meet up with her a little before sundown in a letter yesterday, but she didn’t say why.

The fact that she is doing her best to look at literally anything other than you only makes you more suspicious.

“Well, ya see… the thing is… I just…”

“You alright, AJ?”

“Y-yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“It’s not like you to stutter like that. Is something wrong?”

“I-I wouldn’t say wrong exactly, I just… I don’t know…” Applejack closes her eyes and sighs. She takes a moment before opening her eyes again, but when she does so, she makes sure to look directly at you. It’s clear from her expression alone that she is troubled by something. “Look, I didn’t know who else to turn to about this. You’re my closest friend who has… well, a wife.”

“Yeah, Tia and I got married a few months ago. What about it?”

“Well… ugh, horseapples.” Applejack leans towards you while motioning for you to bend down, which you hesitantly do. After a moment, she begins to whisper into your ear. “D-Dash and I have been… we’ve been seein’ each other. A-all romantic-like, I mean.”

You can’t help but smile at that.

“Congratulations, AJ!”

“Shhh!” She looks around nervously after trying to shush you. “We’re tryin' to keep it to ourselves as much as possible. F-for now, at least.”

You let out a chuckle.

“Alright, that’s your prerogative. So, why tell me?”

“Because I still need to get her somethin’ for Hearth’s Warmin’, and I’m plum outta ideas.”

“Now that I can help with.” You stand back up and lean back, resting your head in your hands, thankful that one of your friends is taking it easy on you today. “Still, I’m surprised you waited until the last minute.”

“I was hopin’ I’d come up with somethin’ on my own, and I couldn’t start until just a bit ago because I’ve been baking for both my family and Pinkie’s all day.” Her eyes suddenly widen. “Er, I guess I’ll need to apologize to Rarity for not makin’ it to her concert.”

“Eh, Dash and Twilight didn’t go either. Twilight’s on a train right now, and Dash was preparing for her race.”

“Still… well, I guess that’s not important right now. What have you got for me, sugarcube?”

“I’m assuming you’re hoping for something a bit more… ‘personal’ than a regular Dash gift?”

“Well, yeah. I could buy just about anythin’ that has to do with Darin’ Do and she’d eat that right up, but I’m not sure if that’s really what I’m goin’ for.”

“Hmhm. See, I went through this a while ago myself. When you’re dating the most important pony in the country, who could get literally anything she wants with a wave of her hoof, how are you supposed to buy a gift? The solution is simpler than I thought.”

“...And that is?”

“Give her something only you can provide.”

“Care to elaborate?”

“What can Applejack give Rainbow Dash that no other pony can? That’s what you should be asking.”

“...Well, what are ya gettin’ Celestia? That might help me here.”

“I’ve been working on something special. You know how you have cameras here in Equestria to take pictures?”

“Er, yeah?”

“Back in my old world, we could use cameras to record stuff. Like, rather than just having a picture, it’d make something that captures a certain amount of time, movement and all.”

“You mean like those ‘animation’ things they got over in Manehattan?”

“Exactly! Imagine that, but with a bunch of pictures back to back to back so quickly that you can’t tell they’re swapping. I knew a thing or two back home, and I think I’ve finally managed to pull it off. That’s what I want to give her... something that will help her relive the time she has with me in the future.”

Applejack briefly tilts her head at you, but quickly straightens herself out as she realizes the weight of your words.

“Well, that’s mighty thoughtful of you, Anon.”

You give her a smile.

“Now just ask yourself what you can do for Dash.”

“...Hm.” She puts a hoof to her chin as she scrunches up her nose. “Well, I’m good with apples, I guess.”

“Does she like apples?”

“That’s a silly question.”

“Is there something apple-related Dash really, really likes?”

“Sure, she likes apple fritters, apple pastries, apple– WAIT!”

“Hm?”

“Apple cider! That’s it!”

“Can you even make apple cider? Isn’t it out of season?”

Applejack stares at seemingly nothing, apparently completely lost in thought. She remains that way for several seconds until she suddenly stomps her hoof.

“It might not be much, but I think I can make a few mugs. It’ll take some time, though.”

“That sounds like a great way to warm her up after she gets out of the hospital, too.” You gently place your hand on her back, a sly grin on your face. “Y’know, apart from–”

“That’s enough! I’m headin’ out! Thanks Anon!”

Applejack trots away, her face having almost immediately turned crimson at your teasing. With a quiet chuckle, you turn around and begin to make your way to your last stop in Ponyville: Fluttershy’s cottage.