• Published 25th Dec 2023
  • 779 Views, 8 Comments

Shoot. Let's Be Santa. - RunicTreetops



You have way too many plans with your friends and family this Hearth's Warming Eve, but you won't let them down! ...Probably.

  • ...
8
 8
 779

Rarity's (Somewhat Lengthy) Concert

Well, that took a lot longer than you were expecting.

You find yourself panting as you sprint into the small theater, sweat forming beneath your hat and gloves. A few ponies give you confused glances as you step into the back of the small line awaiting you there.

Luckily for you, there’s a clock nearby that tells you you’re just in time. You let out a sigh of relief as you rest your hands on your knees and bend over in an attempt to catch your breath.

You had promised Rarity you would get here on time, and you did, darn it!

“Hiya Anon!”

You turn around just in time to see Pinkie Pie barrelling into you. Despite the speed at which she rams into you, she bounces lightly off of you with a comical squeaking noise.

“H-hey, Pinkie,” you mumble through strained breaths, “I figured you’d be here already.”

“Well, that was the plan, but I had a feeling my burning buddy was gonna be cutting it close, so I figured I would too! And here you are!”

“Those ‘feelings’ of yours sure are accurate,” you say with a chuckle, having finally caught your breath. “W-wait, ‘burning buddy?’”

“Don’t worry about that right now, this is Rarity’s chapter!”

“Wha-”

“And look, it’s time for us to go in!”

Pinkie begins to gently push you forward into the theater, and you figure it’s better to just comply than try to fight her.

The theater itself is dark, save for the built-in lights allowing the audience to navigate the steps and reach their seats without tripping over each other. You’re thankful that it’s kept warm in here, as the frigid air outside isn’t getting any more bearable as the morning goes on.

You make your way to your seat, where Fluttershy is already happily waiting for you. Pinkie sits on your other side, greeting Fluttershy as she does so. There’s a curtain blocking your view of the stage, and you smile as you imagine how anxious Big Mac must be back there.

This is a Hearth’s Warming Eve Pony Tones concert. Rarity was really hoping her friends would be able to attend, and you were happy to oblige. At this point, Twilight has already left for her trip, while Rainbow Dash and Applejack had prior engagements. So, it’s just you, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie there to enjoy the songs she and her ensemble have been working on.

Slowly, the curtains open as the lights dim. Once the sound of shifting cloth ceases, a spotlight shines down onto the stage, illuminating the four ponies standing there. With an obviously forced smile, Big Mac begins to hum. Moments later, the rest of the Pony Tones begin to chime in.

They sound incredible, their voices harmonizing beautifully as they perform what you know to be a Hearth’s Warming classic. You cross your arms as you get a bit more comfortable in your seat. As expected, Rarity sounds wonderful, and it’s sure to be an excellent concert.

Wordlessly, Fluttershy slides you a set list. Your eyes fall from the stage to the small, hoofwritten words. Said eyes then proceed to go wide as you come to a realization.

There are a lot of songs on this list.

…You’re going to be here for a while.


You awaken as you hear a cacophony of hooves excitedly stomping the ground in applause. You instinctively join in, clapping your hands enthusiastically as the Pony Tones take a bow.

You weren’t out for that long, right?

The curtains close as the crowd around you begins to funnel back out of the building. You decide to wait in the theater alongside Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, knowing that Rarity intends to greet you once most of the crowd is gone.

The wait is thankfully much shorter than the show itself, and sure enough, Rarity steps out from backstage to meet up with the three of you. Pinkie and Fluttershy both excitedly hug her, while you stand back and offer her a verbal congratulations.

“Yes, well, I will admit that even I was a bit anxious about this. It’s by far the longest concert we’ve ever had. A part of me is relieved that it’s over.”

“You sounded lovely, Rarity.” Fluttershy gives Rarity her famous kind smile, which she seems appreciative of.

“I think that’s the best performance you’ve ever given,” you say with a grin.

“Oh?” Rarity takes a step towards you, the smile on her face slowly going from warm to… somewhat ominous. “Is that why you fell asleep halfway through?”

“I… I didn’t-”

“We all saw you, Anon!” Pinkie Pie, you aren’t helping. “It’s a good thing you weren’t snoring. That would’ve been suuuuuper embarrassing!”

“...”

“Regardless,” Rarity says with a mocking tone, “I appreciate you being here. I know you’re all quite busy, and aside from my family, I don’t think there’s anypony I’d rather see in that crowd.”

“Rarity… that’s really touching.” You place a hand on your chest, both to emphasize your point and to regain feeling in it after sleeping in a weird position for so long.

“Oh, I was speaking to Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, darling.”

“That’s… a lot less touching.”

The two of you stare at each other for a long, awkward moment before Rarity stifles a snort and begins to laugh.

“I’m kidding! I’m glad you’re here too, Anon. Sigh, even if you couldn’t make it all the way through.”

“Oh, don’t be upset, Rarity!” Pinkie shuffles closer to her, a wide grin on her face as she creeps way too far into her personal space (though she doesn’t even flinch, likely because she’s used to it). “Anon had to get up reeeeeeeeeally early! And he still has a long day ahead of him!”

“Oh? What business did you have this morning?”

“Twilight wanted me to-”

“Hold that thought!” Pinkie leaps into the air in shock before she starts to push you away from Rarity and Fluttershy. “Speaking of business, you and I need to get going!”

“O-oh, okay. See ya Rares! Happy Hearth’s Warming!”

“You too darling!”