• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 823 Views, 10 Comments

Shorts (no skirts) by Tactical - TacticalRainboom



Just a collection of my stuff

  • ...
9
 10
 823

Descent

Minific Mayhem
"Whispers in the Dark"

The blackness was coming, the ever-approaching dark that no candle could light and that her voice could not escape. It had already painted the entire room in a blank, light-absorbing void, leaving her pressed against the cold brick wall. When she tried to call for help, her voice was swallowed by the darkness and reflected back as otherworldly murmurs. Hissing, bubbling, breathy whispers filled the air. She felt like she was inhaling ghosts whenever she forced her lungs to suck in another breath, and every time she did she saw the darkness edge in just a little further, shrinking her island of sanity, which was already almost too small for her to stand on.

As the darkness crept closer, the voices became clearer. She heard laughter.. anger... sorrow... many voices forming a cacophony of madness. Abruptly, she turned her back on the void and turned to the only thing remaining in the room, the wall. She couldn't look into the emptiness any more. The wall was normal. With a long, shuddering breath, she closed her eyes. Even now it would be touching her hooves, crawling over everything until there was nothing left...

When she opened her eyes again, the wall was gone. She looked down at her body, and she was still there, the same cool pink-purple coat, the same violet mane. She walked forward, and did not bump into the wall. She kept walking through a field of deep emptiness. Soon she could see grass under her feet, and it was a welcome change from walking on black space. She saw a house floating in the air, and walked towards it. Ponyville was forming itself out of nothing, lit and visible under a black sky. The sun appeared, and she was happy to see the town in natural light. Then the moon appeared, throwing its cool glow over this strange world. Then the sun again, shining on pink clouds and hovering trees.

She looked down and realized she was flying. It felt good. It felt free. She turned in the air, made a silly face, and laughed because everything was okay. As she turned a happy somersault, she caught a glance of her own flanks. Her mane was tinged with pure white, and her cutie mark had changed to some kind of white ball, next to a carpenter's screw.


AN: People hated on this one for not having a plot. I don't know, though... I liked it. It didn't have a conflict, but it had a build-up and then a meaning.