• Published 26th Nov 2023
  • 211 Views, 5 Comments

Scattered Tales - Feeling Wicked - Zontan



Autumn Blaze is putting on a new play. She has no idea half her actors are changelings.

  • ...
0
 5
 211

Ending A: Chaos

Pharynx sighed. “Very well. If you really think it will raise morale. We can wait until closing night.”


The stage was set for opening night, and the theater was filled with kirin. Pharynx looked out from the wings, before turning his attention to his fellow actors backstage, eager for their first performance. He couldn’t help but crack a small smile at their eagerness.

As the lights came on, he stepped out onto the stage. “Our tale begins in a far-off land, at the end of a story you may be familiar with. I have good news! The wicked witch…” he paused for dramatic effect, briefly meeting Autumn Blaze’s gaze, “...is dead.”

Spring Breeze stepped out, dressed in the white dress of the Good Witch. She was practically vibrating with excitement, but she still managed to remember her lines, and Pharynx returned backstage until it was time to return as the Wizard.

The performance passed in a whirl, and before he knew it, the cast was taking their bows to a standing ovation. As he stepped forward for his solo bow, the sound washed over him like a wave. He was a changeling—he had been performing all his life. But never had his performances gotten a response like this.

The curtain closed, and Autumn Blaze tackled him into a hug. “You were wonderful! Oh, your monologue was so good! I got chills!” She backed up, and then beamed. “You were all fantastic! What a wonderful opening night!”

Pharynx’s gaze slipped to the master script she held in her hooves, and the Page that slightly glowed within—the reason they were all here in the first place. But then he remembered the warmth of the audience’s applause.

Maybe he could get used to this. Being a real actor, for once. The mission… it could wait.

(+1 page for Chaos)