• Published 9th Mar 2024
  • 73 Views, 3 Comments

The Young Mage And The Lighthouse - AlwaysDressesInStyle



Dewdrop Dazzle's magic doesn't work the same as other unicorns. The ostracized pony lives as an outcast in a lighthouse outside Baltimare. Most ponies would be powerless to stop the tsunami racing towards the city, but she's a water mage...

  • ...
 3
 73

Chaos

Dewdrop briefly considers doing nothing. She’s hundreds of feet in the air in a sturdy lighthouse designed to withstand a direct impact. She could stand idly by and nopony would even question her as to why she did nothing. Nopony short of an alicorn could ever stop a tsunami. Nopony there would even believe that she could.

She decides it high time she changed that. She gallops down the stairs, making it to the rocky beach in time to see the wave towering high overhead. She’s not scared. It’s only water, and water will do anything she wants it to.

Her horn glows and she starts fighting the tsunami. She may have power over water, but the wave has the power of momentum. It fights back.

She’s sweating as she forces a gap in the wall of water. The wave parts, sparing the lighthouse promontory. Cut in two, the tsunami is no longer a match for her, and she sends most of the wave back out to sea. The wave is powerful, but water is Dewdrop’s domain, and the wave is intruding.

What’s left of the tsunami looms over Horseshoe Bay, threatening ships and the city itself. Dewdrop marches down Mane Street, the wave following her like a puppy. It’s narrowed into a towering wall taller than any skyscraper in the city. She waves to ponies she knows, casually, like taking a tsunami for a walk downtown is the most normal thing in the world.

When she reaches the end of the street she turns around and blows a kiss to the wave, which slinks back the way it came, Dewdrop slowly advancing on it the whole way.

The wave recedes, leaving a freshly washed street behind it, but no damage. Dewdrop’s putting on a show. She wants these ponies to respect her. Maybe even fear her, the way they’d made her fear them all those years ago.