• Published 14th Nov 2023
  • 1,899 Views, 33 Comments

An Un-Natural Turn of Events - NinjaMare



a human with powers somehow gets spirited away to Equestria

  • ...
6
 33
 1,899

Chapter 7: A Meeting With A Dreamwalker

Within a starry night landscape that stretches as far as the eye can see, princess Luna was trotting about the ambient dreamscape at a leisurely pace as her eyes scanned over the myriad of doors that drift, or float by her as they hovered within the starry void. As the princess of the night trotted about she would look at each and every door that passed her by, her eyes seemingly piercing through the woods frame, seeing directly into the very dream of a pony that lied behind the door. thankfully most of the dreams that she peered into were happy, joyful, and hopeful dreams, but once in a while the princess would come across a pony that was being plagued by a nightmare, and so she would enter the dream to help her subject resolve whatever is causing the dream. And once she was done she would emerge into the dream-like landscape that the doors occupied. Aside from perusing the dreams of her subjects, and ensuring their mental states were safe & secure, the night princess would occasionally turn and swivel her head about, her eyes darting in all directions. As if she was keeping on the lookout for, something.

As the princess trotted through the land of dreams Luna made her way over to a collection of doors, seven in total, all of which were gathered up and placed in a half circle formation. With a thin veil of blue light wrapped behind them. The doors were arranged with a larger white and golden door with a sun symbol in the center, then having three separate doors on each of its sides. A smile came to Luna’s muzzle as she peered through each one of the doors, seeing her sister, along with Twilight & her friends have the most pleasant of dreams each one could have. The princes then lit her horn and with a small flourish, a cloak of a starry night sky was summoned above the doors, and gently floated downwards towards them before turning into silvery dust. Causing each door to glow dimly with a light blue hue for a few seconds.

“Dream well sister.” Luna mused in a caring voice before looking to the other doors.

“And to you all as well, my friends.” With a gracious bow the princess bid the doors farewell and went to her typical task of shepherding dreams.

“It seems it will be another peaceful night.” The princess said to herself as she rounded a corner of a collection of doors. But as she did so she found something strange just a few paces away from her, and the doors of the dreamscape as a whole.

The thing before the princess of the night was a strange, swirling cyclone of what appears to be black smoke. The cyclone wasn’t spiraling in a rapid rotation, in fact, it was spinning in a fairly laxed state. The princess has only encountered this, smokey cyclone, once before, which was the day prior before it really got into the late night hours. But before she could investigate what it was it suddenly, vanished without a trace. Yet now it has returned to the dreamscape, and this time the princess was determined to see what it was.

Trotting up to the smokey cyclone Luna began by pacing along its perimeter, studying the exterior of the cyclone and as she did so she tried to see if she could peer into it, as she would’ve with a ponies dream door. And as she did so her mind was, not quite assaulted, but flood with vague and abstract images of shifting and strange masses, while glimpsing very few solid images. Though these images were not exactly all that pleasant. The things she saw were of unfamiliar buildings and objects, with towering figures of steel looming over smaller beings. The beings were mostly obscured, but they were tall as far as Luna could see, though that was it. turning away from the cyclone the princess shook her head as it was starting to feel foggy, while her eyes felt like they were burning, but she also felt that her eyes were getting moist. Bringing a hoof to her face the princess found that there were tears in her eyes.

“Just what are you?” Luna asked aloud before she saw something bright blow & yellow erupt in the cyclone, before seeing vivid shades of red being mixed into the cyclones black smoke.

“One thing is for certain, I will not find answers unless I venture into it.”

Steading herself, Luna made her way into the cyclone. However upon entering it she was immediately assailed with more vivid images, and this time, with sound flooding her ears. The stream of sights and sounds became so intense that the princess had to stop a few times to either shake her head because her eyes stung, or to cover up her ears in order to tune out the sounds blasting in her ears, but to no avail. So the princess practically galloped her way through the cyclone until she came out of the smoke, coughing as she did so as her vision cleared up, allowing her to see something extraordinary.

Luna now found herself in a large city, with buildings taller than any she has seen in Canterlot, or in the other cities that her sister has taken her to see so she can adjust to the modern age. There were various metallic wheeled objects, all varying sizes, that were scattered around along what appears to be wide roads. There was also various bobbles and strange looking objects scattered around, some toppled over or looked like they were destroyed, some of the large, wheeled objects also were either toppled or destroyed. Now while the princess was aware of the strange city she was now standing in, she was more focused on the beings in front of her. Standing before her within this city were various tall bipedal creatures, most of which were running away from these, towering bipedal metal creatures who appear to be fighting with some of the smaller bipeds. Though the ones that were fighting were unlike the ones running away. One was engulfed in fire all but their head which had long flowing red hair, another appeared to be levitating in mid-air and was somehow picking up the wheeled objects with pale blue electricity and throwing them at the giant.

There were also other creatures that were fighting back against the giants, who just lashed out with iron fist and feet, shattering the ground, or striking destructive blows, or used some kind of weird weapon to fire blue magical blasts. And the fighting seemed to be more in favor with the giants than the bipedal creatures fighting them.

“What is going on here!?” Luna called out, but nothing in this strange place so much as acknowledged her, and either just ignored her…or ran right through her. as if she was a mirage.

“What kind of dream is this?” the mare said to herself before she noticed one of the giants facing her, its towering body looming over her, its metal face unfeeling as its narrow red slitted eyes peers over her…its weapon aimed in her direction!

The giant then fired a stream of energy that reached her within seconds, not letting the princess to try to shield herself, or even fly away! Luckily the princess didn’t feel like she was being struck with an attack. Opening her eyes she noticed that the giants attack was passing through her, but her attention was quickly brough behind her as she heard thrumming energy. Turning around Luna saw that the giants attack was clashing against a spiraling yellowish dome of energy, its blue energy being sucked into the dome before changing into the domes own coloration, then a moment later the giants ray blast ended which then lead the dome to fire off a barrage of yellowish magical blasts! All racing pass & through her, before colliding with the giant, whose body just inflated and then curled up to guard against the attack. Then with one final attack the energy dome began swirling with incredible speed, before its entire mass was formed into what looked like a crescent moon before racing through the princess, and striking the giant with so much force that it was toppled over!

“Incredible!” was all Luna could say as she turned to see the creature who managed to topple the giant, though as she did so her face flushed with surprise.

“That’s the creature that Twilight was having lunch with.” the princess stated as she looked at the creature, and even though his mouth was moving Luna couldn’t make out what he was saying, or any of the other creatures in this strange dream.

“Why is he dreaming—wait! What’s going on?!” A few seconds as she was wondering why Twilight’s companion was having this dream, everything shifted as lights and sound started blend into nothing.

Then as soon as the scenery vanished, it changed to a different scene, though it was more weirder than anything, as the scene was now in some kind of underground tunnel. However instead of any of the bipedal creatures, or giants, there was only the one creature that Luna was familiar with, although this time he looked younger. He was sitting all by himself and looked to be wearing some worn out and torn clothes, not only that, but Luna could see that parts of his clothing was covered in blood. But aside from that, the creature looked like he was injured, with blood oozing from the tears in the clothes.

“Just what is going on here?” Luna asked herself as she just watched the younger creature just sit there, looking lost and defeated. If not hopeless. While the princess was unable to hear what the creature was mumbling and crying to himself about, she was able to feel the intense emotion of loneliness and despair that the dream was emanating. Much like the previous dream as she was able to feel the desperation, the anger, and fear from all of the bipedal creatures. Before the princess could try and decipher more of what this dream was about, everything around her started to fade away.

“Wait! What’s going on!” just as half of the of the tunnel was gone the princess looked over to where the creature was, who himself was vanishing away as a blinding bright light started to fill Luna’s field of vision. The next thing Luna knows was that she was standing back in the normal dreamscape, leaving her utterly baffled at what she had just seen.

“Whatever that was…it was no dream. It felt different, it felt more like…” Luna pondered for a moment before coming to a conclusion.

“A memory.”

~~~~~

Seated within the throne room, Luna’s body laid at the top of the podium where the throne sat, her eyes closed and her horn emanating a low field of magic. moments later the glow around the midnight alicorn’s horn has faded away, while the alicorn slowly opens her eyes as she wakes from her dream walking, and once she was fully awake the mare began to stretch out her body as she was feeling stiff. Laying in the same position for hours while dream walking tends to have that effect. when the princess was fully awake, and limbered up, she began to make her way out of the throne room and towards the dining room for a mid-night meal, but as she trotted towards her destination her mind was still wondering about that strange dream—memory---whatever it was. And as she still thought about it she continued to ponder over various things that she’s seen, and what could it all mean.

As far as she knows of Twilight’s companion, from what her sister has told her hours ago after their initial meeting, this creature has come from a harsh and cruel world. Where others like him who are different, are treated like monsters, ostracized by the rest of their race, and are even hunted down to ensure that the ‘common’ folk are kept safe from them. Thinking back to the memories she has glimpsed of from the creatures mind, Luna was uncertain what she should do. on the one hoof she wanted to help the creature, especially after partially witnessing the things he went through, and from what she heard from her sister, Luna would like to try and aide him in feeling safe in Equestria. but on the other hoof she knows that this would be difficult as she also recalls that this creature is VERY, slow to trust and believe in others. So she thought that if she did try to reach out and help him, she thinks that he would either dismiss the gesture, or just outright ignore her attempts.

“Perhaps I should as Tia her thoughts on the manner.” Luna contemplated to herself as she rounded a corner as she closes in on her destination.

“I know Tia is also trying to come up with a way to help him, but what could I do to help him?” the midnight mare asked herself as she continues to trot, an annoyed expression steadily growing on her face.

“Maybe I should try and get to know this, Barricade, before trying to come up with a plan. Other than what Tia has told me of him, and our brief encounter in the dining room, I know nothing about him.” the princess then reached the doors to the dining room where she used her magic to open them.

As the doors open up and Luna was about to head inside, she was surprised to see Barricade sitting at the table and eating. After entering the room the human looked over to Luna for a moment just to give a nod before going back to eating. Deciding to not disturb the human while he ate, Luna quietly gathered her own food and took a spot at the table across from Barricade. After sitting down and she started to eat her meal, the two sat there in silence, making the midnight alicorn feel a little awkward. Though as she sat there the princess took the opportunity to get a better look at the young man, as her initial encounter with him was brief and didn’t really give her much of a chance to really examine him. in appearance the princess was intrigued with Barricade’s overall physic, which wasn’t as covered as he was when she initially met him, as he was wearing no shirt and was wearing only that pair of pants. Though as the midnight alicorn looks over the human’s body a frown touches her muzzle as she looks upon the old scars on his body.

“You might as well take a picture princess. Not only will it last longer, but you can ogle it without making the person your staring at feel awkward.” the humans words caught the princess off guard as she was in mid observation, and seeing a disapproving look on Barricade’s face, his deep brown eyes staring right into her own eyes.

“I’m sorry for my staring Barricade. I just couldn’t help myself in looking.” The princess apologized as the human’s staring softened before he went back to eating, and finishing, his meal.

“Well in that case I’ll let it slide.” With that matter settled the princess also continued to eat her meal, while minding not to stare at Barricade. Soon the pair have finished their meals and the princess watched as the human started to head to the exit of the room.

“Are you heading back bed now?” the princess asked to which the human shook his head.

“Actually right now this is the time of day that I’m awake.” Luna perked up when she heard those words.

“Does that mean that you frequent the night hours prominently?”

“In a way. From what I could gather from both Twilight & Celestia it seems that the times of day are reversed.” Barricade explained as he stood by the doors to the dining hall while crossing his arms.

“On my world it would be morning right about now, I’m still getting used to the time differences.”

“I see.” The princess remarked as she looked up to the young man, before an idea came to her that would allow her to spend some more time with him, and get to know him more.

“Pardon me Barricade but would it be improper of me to ask you a question?”

“Depends on the question.” The human said in a more guarded tone, while giving the princess a somewhat stern look.

“I was wondering if I could spend some time with you, so that we may get to know each other better.” After the princess asked her question the humans expression softened quite a bit, and seemed to be pondering over the question. Though his contemplation didn’t last for to long as he spoke up a few seconds later.

“That’s fine with me. honestly I wasn’t sure what I was going to do for the whole night, so it would be nice to have someone to talk to at least.”

With that the princess gave a gracious smile to the young man before following him out of the dining room, and off towards the guest room where he was staying. Hopefully by conversing with one another, while getting to know each other more properly, Luna might be able to learn more about him and if possible help him. At least, that is the plan the princess of the night was hoping would play out. As the two made their way to Barricades room Luna would occasionally look towards the lunar guards, or the castle staff, that they pass by and give them a small bow of the head as they either saluted her, or gave her a gracious bow. But as they did so Luna would also noticed the odd look that they gave Barricade, especially the guards as they seemed to eye the human up & down. Eventually the pair reached Barricade’s room and as soon as they did the human made his way to where the hearth was, were he unceremoniously flopped down onto a sitting cushion before reaching over to a nearby cabinet and pulled out a couple of glass, and a bottle of a light brown liquid.

“Don’t suppose you princesses drink alcohol do you?” a smile touches the princess muzzle as she joins the young man by the hearth.

“It has been awhile since I’ve partaken of a hard drink.” Barricade shared a smile as he uncapped the bottle and poured a little bit of the liquid into one of the cups, before offering it to the princess who took it in her magic. once the young man filled his own glass the princess then used a little bit of magic to create a sizable ball of ice in each of their cups, causing the human to look to her with a slightly bigger smile before offering his cup.

“Cheers!” the princess chortled as she clinked her glass to Barricades, before they both took their first sip.