• Published 15th Nov 2023
  • 719 Views, 8 Comments

Mother, I'm Coming Home - Visharo



Sunset leaves for purpose and the glory of war, she comes home bruised and battered.

  • ...
4
 8
 719

I Like The Adrenaline, It's Like A F-ing Drug

It's been a week since Sunset landed in Zebrica. Everypony got basic training on the battleship, some got advanced training depending on how well they did in basic. Sunset was proud of the fact that she aced the advanced training course. Now, Squadron 13 was en route to the front lines.

Zebrica is not much different to Equestria, just lots of plains with occasional trees and mountains rising in the distance. The sky however, seemed very different. It felt more real, if that made any sense. It seemed to shimmer in the distance and the heat from the rays felt almost tangible when Sunset wasn't under any shade.

The squadron are currently in the middle of a yellow field, Sunset hanging near the back. Then without warning, a shot rang out. Before anypony could react, a mare toppled over.

"GET DOWN!" The lieutenant shouted before diving for cover herself. Sunset quickly followed suit. There were a couple more shots, one of which was followed up by a cry of agony. Then all was silent. Sunset couldn't hear anything but the blood in her ears and her heavy breathing.

"GO GO GO, JUST 200 METERS TILL TRENCH BRAVO!" A like that, the squadron was up and galloping.

As for Sunset, this experience was new. Besides the laps she did for advanced training and before that, the occasional runs for some test she was holding, Sunset has never galloped seriously. She decided she liked this feeling. Her limbs felt stretched and the movement felt so natural. The rifle and marine pack on her back hindered her slightly, but all in all, it was exhilarating.

Then the shots rained down on the squadron. Ponies instinctively either dove to the ground or started swerving. Sunset was one of the latter. She also magicked up some forcefields to cover her and some of the ponies running beside her. Then a young stallion in front of her hit the dirt and Sunset barely had time to leap over the body. When she did, she had a tiny glance at his dead, slack face.

Then she was off once again. A bullet pinged off her shield and her attention wavered. Galloping at full tilt whilst holding up a shield strong enough to stop a bullet was taxing, but Sunset was used to worse stuff. She gritted her teeth and pushed her hooves with all her might.

Then without warning, the ground disappeared and Sunset took a mighty tumble and nearly crashed into an armed stallion. It took a moment to catch her breath, but soon she propped herself back up and it took a while before she noticed she was smiling.