• Published 15th Nov 2023
  • 718 Views, 8 Comments

Mother, I'm Coming Home - Visharo



Sunset leaves for purpose and the glory of war, she comes home bruised and battered.

  • ...
4
 8
 718

This Pain Will Drown Out The Sun

Sunset Shimmer sighed as she turned to look back at her home. One last look at the golden domes of Canterlot and chiseled white buildings. Her gaze outlined every path she walked, every cafe she entered, every genuine laugh she allowed. She let her mane fall over her eyes as she turned back and made way to the volunteer table. All over Equestria, such tables are set up to get ponies to volunteer to fight against the zebras. Many a stallion and mare signed up with wails from their family and friends.

"Sunset." Sunset kept walking. "Sunset, please." She ignored the pleading. This was her decision, not hers.

She was out of the palace when she spoke again. "I'll be waiting when you come back. I want you to know that." As if.

"I would like to volunteer." Sunset spoke confidently. The stallion behind the table looked up in surprise.

"B...but, you're the princess's personal student! She wouldn't..." He stopped when Sunset's hoof slammed into the table.

"I'm my own mare. Now. Sign me up." Sunset put some steel behind her words, hoping to dissuade the stallion. If he didn't, things would get all kinds of messy and they were already drawing a crowd.

"Al...alright, alright. Miss Sunset Shimmer. There." He chuckled nervously after writing her name down, his eyes shifting around as if asking for help through eye contact alone. Sunset almost smirked.

"Thank you." She sneered. "Where do I go?"

"Mane...Manehatten, there you can go t...to the Marine Corps. HQ. They'll tell you everything." He whimpered. Sunset took some amount of pleasure from it. She nodded once, mostly to herself, then left without saying anything else. She didn't head back to her dorm room, no, that would be a bad idea. No, instead she would get her supplies in Manehatten. Being the student to Princess Celestia did have their perks, she supposed.

She made her way to the train station and hopped onto the one heading towards Manehatten. She smirked when the ticket master didn't even glance in her direction. The train ride will take a few hours, so to pass the time, she had gotten a book from the library called "The Art of War." She was hoping to know more than the basics of warfare when she arrive.

Sunset felt her eyes drooping after reaching the seventh chapter, this book wasn't all that great in her opinion. There was a lot of diplomacy mumbo jumbo, none of which interested Sunset that much. Through her lidded eyes, she noticed a particular sun ray land on the word 'survive.' Sunset sniffed and turned away from the window, determined to not acknowledge her.