• Published 23rd Oct 2023
  • 352 Views, 2 Comments

Order of the Black Sun - daOtterGuy



Stygian, Leader of the Order of the Black Sun, will seal the Corrupt Pillars

  • ...
1
 2
 352

Reminisce

Stygian trotted through the forest, contemplative as he reflected back on all that he had accomplished over the last few decades. He hardly resembled that bright-eyed naive unicorn that had once been apprenticed to a monster.

He walked with self-assured confidence, his lean, muscled body coated in scars, each a story of his struggles. He wore his old ratty cloak over tightly woven armour. His mane was pulled back into a bun with a fringe that partially covered the symbol of a new moon painted onto his forehead. He had an air of mystery about him, strict discipline and hardship that had shaped him into a closed-off pony.

A shimmering figure appeared next to him, torn between two worlds in preparation for what was to transpire. It was difficult to make out any of the figure’s distinctive features, but Stygian was very familiar with this particular being.

“Are you truly certain of this decision?” She, for Stygian knew she was a mare, asked.

“Yes. I’ve never been more sure of anything before,” Stygian replied, conviction in his voice.

“There is a very low chance that you will ever return. At least, not for a millenia or more.”

“You promise?” Stygian asked, bemused.

“I cannot make a promise that I do not have absolute certainty in.”

“Which is why I wished you could, so I know all of this was worth it.”

“... I’m sorry. I cannot.”

He sighed lightly. “Well, I appreciate the honesty.”

They continued onward in a companionable silence. As they approached their destination, Stygian could feel a hum of magic permeating the air. A steady rhythm that grew louder and louder as he trotted forward.

“I wish to take a moment to thank you,” The figure said.

“What for?” Stygian asked.

“Assisting me in taking down my brother. It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you and—” a moment of hesitation “—it's been nice to have someone I could call a friend.”

Stygian laughed, a warm, brassy sound that dispelled the haze of stern mystery around him to show the compassion underneath.

“What’s so funny?” the figure asked, somewhat offended.

“It’s just—” another snort of laughter “—we’ve worked together for decades and yet you wait until literally the last possible moment to declare our friendship. You really are the closed-off sibling, aren’t you, Artemis?”

Artemis tsked and looked askance. “Must you poke fun at my earnestness?”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Stygian placated as he wiped a tear from his eye. “I just needed that since we’re so close to the end of this madness.”

“... Yes, we are. I genuinely never thought we would ever see this day.”

The forest opened up into a glade. A haze of mist hung about a circle of six, tall stones engraved with runes. Most of the inner circle was obscured by an outer ring of smaller stones that served as a barrier of sorts, but Stygian knew this place to be Ponhenge.

The soon-to-hopefully-be final resting place of the Corrupt Pillars.

“Well, you should rejoice, Artemis, since in a few moments we will have finally done what we set out to do.

“Seal the Pillars in Limbo.”