• Published 13th Oct 2023
  • 159 Views, 3 Comments

Where Dark and Light don't Differ - MellowSoul



Luna and Celestia move to a cabin in the woods.

  • ...
 3
 159

Moving Day

Author's Note:

The title came from Immortal's fourth song on At the Heart of Winter. I had to include metal references. What'd you expect? I'm tweaking Celestia and Luna's personalities to be more filly-ish and lighthearted than their canon counterparts. Some of the inspiration came from my original novel, Dragon of Grace. The characters are supposed to be more good-natured and heroic in the vein of classic Superman and Dragon Ball Z. Also the AU tag is there because this is set in a modern timeline where ponies replicated human tech.

Down south, betwixt the dendrology of Veritas Lane, a limousine scuttled along the dirt path in. Through the branches, a log cabin came into view. It wasn't particularly fancy, at least on the outside, but for Celestia and Luna, it would work quite nicely. Next to the structure lay a pond, filled with fish and ripe for harvest. The limo crawled to a stop. Now that Twilight had taken over as ruler of Equestria, this would be the last time they spoke with their driver. Like all things, it had to be a magical moment - one he would remember for the rest of his days.

"This is it, ladies," he stated, "Your last stop."

"It's beautiful," Luna stated, "Truly a place of peace in this world of madness. The humans would agree, no?"

"I believe so," Celestia confirmed, "To think. A millennia of unparalleled rule has come to a close."

"Do not despair. Twilight is your disciple. Our subjects are in capable hooves. Perhaps one day, she may surpass you as well."

"I suppose when you're used to something, letting go feels strange - even distressing to a degree."

"Our subjects will always be there. We can come and go as we please. We are truly free."

"You're right. Now we can finally talk to others as equals. The restraints of responsibility have at last been severed."

"Not quite." Luna corrected, veering her gaze toward Sylvester. Celestia took the hint, levitating a bag of bits in their chaperone's direction.

"You've served us well these many years. We've had many assistants during our lifetimes, but only you have lived to see this day. Your ancestors would be proud. May your family rejoice a long and bountiful existence."

"My pleasure, your highnesses."

"Farewell," Luna dismissed, "May we find each other again someday."

"I look forward to it."

The Alicorns exited the vehicle, waving goodbye as Sylvester drove away. In many ways, he was as much a mentor to them as they were to him.

"Well," Luna questioned, "What shall we do?"

"I don't know about you, but I could go for a shower and a change of clothes."

"Sounds good to me."


Inside, the sisters looked around. For months, they'd gathered their belongings, making room for new additions as necessary. The interior came with all the bells and whistles - a TV, computers, game consoles, a kitchen, a restroom, and a bedroom upstairs. They considered redecorating somewhat when they were settled in.

"Would you like to go first Luna?"

"I'd be delighted."

The pair headed for their wardrobe. Each section was divided according to the siblings' tastes. As expected, Luna preferred a darker tone, extracting a Katatonia t-shirt, black jeans, and a pair of steel-toed boots. Celestia's style wasn't far removed from her sister's, though she opted for brighter, more colorful variations. She chose a white In Flames shirt, cobalt pants, and black converse sneakers. From the moment they heard their first metal CD, they were hooked. The style, the music: everything resonated with them on a deep, spiritual level, exuding a power unlike anything before, and of course, there was always room for class.

"Don't take too long. I'd like some warm water too if I can help it."

"No promises!"

"I see the spoiled brat's come out to play."

"I can't help it. It's part of my charm."

"Oh, please. You and I both know I could schmooze circles around you."

"I seem to recall one of us being courted by far more stallions."

"Not my fault I don't have dream powers. Plus, I understand the full meaning of responsibility. You were gone a thousand years, you know. I didn't exactly have time to romp around with whoever."

"May I remind you it was you who banished me? Being stuck on a rock for a millennia wasn't exactly my idea of a good time."

"In my defense, you were a jealous tyrant, and we didn't know nightclubs were a thing."

"To think all I had to do was wait. Would've saved us a whole lotta stress."

"The human world definitely spiced things up, that's for sure."

"Good thing Twilight's a genius. Without her, we'd have to keep going back for all this. If she hadn't taken notes, we'd still be in the dark ages. Then again, it seems humans still are. I never understood what drove them mad. All their advancement, yet barbarism still lives."

"They possess limitations we as magical creatures do not. Humans have to circumvent their issues in creative ways, whereas we can solve ours in a matter of days at most. When problems arise and the solutions take time, people grow frustrated and feel the need to act. The key to their salvation lies in focus and ingenuity. Compassion alone can only aid so far."

"Perhaps we should task Twilight with aiding them as well. Times are tough there. We took this from them. The least we can do is return the favor."

"I'll submit a formal request. I doubt she'd turn down a plea from old friends. I'm sure Flash or Spike can fill in while she figures out a plan."

"I assume she'd do the same. Given proper time, she's always found a way."

"Well, we shouldn't waste daylight. After we change, we'll grab something to eat and fish for a while. It's been a long day. We can finally unwind and relax."


Celestia made hot dogs and chips for dinner. She and Luna watched a film titled Resurrection: an investigative horror movie about a serial killer reconstructing the body of Christ. After gathering their gear, they headed outside. Luna took a stereo with a CD popped into the tray - Eucharist's sophomore record Mirror Worlds. Melodic death metal had quickly become their go-to style, often lulling them to sleep on quiet nights. Compared to other genres, it was far more calming - more focused. The blend of brutality and tranquility made life seem more bearable during bad days. Fortunately, those were few and far between in their world. The pair discussed plans to record a demo. They wanted to try something similar to Dance of December Souls, only faster and thrashier. They started with what tuning they should write for.

"I vote C Sharp," Luna stated, "It's uncommon compared to other frequencies."

"True, but it's not as melodic. E, D, C and B sound better on open chords."

"Not necessarily. Remember Silverstein? It's not the tuning that matters, but the keys around it. Throw in some legato and it sounds like anything else."

"Fair enough."

Luna's rod began to vibrate. Based on tug strength, she'd caught a big one.

"Quickly! Help me!"

Combining their magic and physical prowess, the sisters pulled their snack to the surface.

"Looks like it ate the other fish." Celestia teased.

"More for us."

"Didn't you just eat?"

"Look who's talking, cake-butt."

"What can I say? It's the finest delicacy in all the seven seas."

"Let's store it before it gets away."

"Roger."