• Published 13th Oct 2023
  • 221 Views, 7 Comments

Launching the Last Star - The Real Darkness



With threats identified and time between, Arctus can enjoy life with less violence as he pursues his own goals in tandem. However, Storms often brew quietly before advancing to land.

  • ...
 7
 221

Where We've Come From

As the sun fell and the moon rose, the two warriors halted their combat. Arctus didn't have to event each Strong Stitch what happened on the night a Scout fell, she had read his journal after all. They did make time to retreat elswhere into the fields surrounding Ponyville, near the Everfree Forest.

"That's plenty of firewood," Arctus broke their silence as he came back with thick split branches.

Strong Stitch had already started a small fire for them, "he was old, wasn't he?"

The Master Scout nodded, "he was getting up in age, so are you. To live a life and die a normal death is unheard of as a Scout."

"Is there such a thing as a retirement age?" They both took a seat, having food at the ready.

Arctus shook his head, "once a Scout, always a Scout. Although I might make an exception for Equestria. Do you know how he was on his first mission?"

"You went to Klugetown, that's about all I know."

"Silver Spike was excellent at stealth and he hesitated to take his first life, but after that he changed. I could see some of his vibrancy gone, as is usual in our work," Arctus began to recall upon him with fondness.

"I had dueled him once, when you were gone. Despite his magic, he could not land an attack on me, but neither I on him," Stitch closed her eyes, "his shortsword was an incredible weapon."

"I didn't know the Eight were watching you ponies, but even you can garner their attention. Bakta made his weapon very special and Ezith gave you an incredibly strong ability. He's been rumored to be merciful," Arctus directed back, "on his first assignment, his first excursion into the field," he went silent, remorse building up.

"He was way in over his head. It should have been easy, just some cravens roaming the streets looking to loot. Sneak around enemy forces left after the destruction of Klugetown, maybe kill a few of them quietly and quickly. He got stuck in combat against a veteran of conflict, a leader of some bandits, named mind you. I've not heard of them since," the story telling was already underway, "Silver Spike was responsible for killing him and we saved slaves that day, those ex-slaves are long dead now, but he felt like he did something that mattered."

"Like his act of killing was justified," Stitch continued for him, "I hope he died feeling that sense of pride."

"Pride is what keeps a Scout a Scout in the face of mortality. From the look of the post, he did not die afraid. There was more than just his blood present."

Strong Stitch hummed, "you think he made off with some injuries on Hazth?"

"I do, that'd make him a cut above what I thought he was, same for you," Arctus sighed, "are you afraid of death?"

"No, I've got nothing but my own Scout duties and you," Stitch admitted to her lack of living.

"I'm honored you find me worth mentioning. I'm curious as to what Silver Spike's last thoughts were. The way he died was a slower death, he bled out. I didn't find any notes on him or the camp, and his journal was missing so Hazth may have some critical knowledge to lever against us."

"Do you think Silver Spike was afraid?" Stitch ignored most of his comment.

Arctus shook his head, "he died with a firm grip on his shortsword and a smile across his face. He knew what he had died for and he died proudly."

They continued to recall their comrade fondly late into the night. Trouble was getting ready to bubble over on the horizon, both of them knew it and both of them needed to be at their best.