• Published 13th Oct 2023
  • 222 Views, 7 Comments

Launching the Last Star - The Real Darkness



With threats identified and time between, Arctus can enjoy life with less violence as he pursues his own goals in tandem. However, Storms often brew quietly before advancing to land.

  • ...
 7
 222

What We All Are

Lohey was the first face he saw outside, she extended two hands to the newly married, "first to sip at Equestria's first brew of magma sheets!" Arctus put his gauntlet back on, returning the covered hand to Celestia as he took one of the cups and Celestia the other with her magic.

They touched the rim of the metal cups together with a dull tink.

With the first sip, memories came back to Arctus. The day he passed his exam. His first successful assignment, he second, his participation in the war against Licate.

"That is," the spicy burned on his tongue after the alcohol warmed his throat, "oh so sweet and hot," he smiled, looking to Celestia who had tasted with him.

"This is a lot stronger than what the Sun's Ray gives you."

The Master Scout shrugged, "are all the barrels around town marked?"

Lohey nodded, "of course they are, you'll find them without any issue. Enjoy your night, Princess, Master Scout," she bowed, walking backwards into the crowd."

Arctus saw the giant shield rise around Canterlot and encapsulate the whole city, another bubble formed inside the city, the noise isolated areas.

"Aren't you gonna show me what an Aeternian celebration looks like?" Celestia prodded his side with a hoof.

"Right this way!" He took her hoof and guided her into a run to the city, it was a smart decision to choose a dress that wasn't particularly long.

Inhibitions gone. Restrictions gone. Any care about a social sturcture was out the window. Ponies were nervously going about the street when Arctus arrived, many food stalls and tables were spread around and all eyes fell on him and Celestia when they entered the main street of Canterlot. It appeared nopony was comfortable casting off the daily chains they clung to.

Arctus neared his lips to Celestia's ear.

"Follow my lead."

Arctus raised his entire metal cup into the air before the little more than pint of liquid quickly splashed down his throat in a single movement, he threw the cup in a large arc before walking to a food stall.

Ponies were already in shock. Celestia stared at the liquid she still held and gulped before she followed suit, her tongue burned from the chilies used in the brew, "ugggh," she groaned at first, but decided to meet Arctus on his level and, "aaaahhh!" Shouted into the sky, sending her own cup through the air.

The food stall was selling the least royal food, donuts, the stublle wearing pony behind the counter at a large helping of bits slammed on the table before Arctus picked up a half dozen box of donuts, opening it with zero hesitation and handing one to the princess.

He was almost like an uncivil jerk.

Celestia merrily chowed away at the sweet along with him.

"What are all of you doing?" A mouthful of jelly donut muffled his words, but not his volume, "this is an Aeternian celebration!" He shouted.

"You're right, it is!" Savus bellowed as he came down the street with the entire Apple family in tow, save the small fillies.

Arctus and Celestia both could smell the heady smell of alcohol again, they both already knew what was in the cup he carried. The Apple family behind him were also enjoying the same liqueuer, and they already appeared to be stumbling in their trots.

"I assumed you might need some help showing these ponies the hedonistic ways of Aeternia. Why live if not to have the greatest moments to pursue happiness and merriment?" Savus approached the newly married.

"I, uh, Arctus, this alcohol of yours is mighty stroong," Applejack was coming along with him and a few other ponies.

"Why I reckon I ain't had something this special since the farm first started! Booze has gotten a kind pitiful weak," an older mare had accompanied Applejack and an unnamed red stallion.

"Meet Big Macintosh an' Graaanny Smith, Arctus," AJ gestured to each of them, "gotta admit, not using your title is refreshin' as it is weird."

Savus turned around to the Apple family and the extended Apple family and the extended extended Apple family.

"Apples! We gotta let these Canterlot ponies know how uninhibited a real celebration is!" Cheers erupted before the many earth ponies in the large crowd began sprawling around the city.

"Apples? Has Savus become part of your family, Applejack?" Celestia directed.

"Afternoon Pr-," she cleared her throat, "afternoon, Celestia! Savus has been workin' and helpin' on the farm for a while and he feels like family to us, he is family to us!" Applejack pipped.

And there were few whispers, but it was beginning to become clear to the Canterlotans that this celebration truly had no restraints.

"Know what? You're gonna be drunk by the end of tonight," Savus pointed at Arctus, "and I want to duel you so I can finally say I beat a Master Scout."

Arctus smiled, "we don't fight during celebrations. Agreement all the Scouts have come to."

"I thought you said titles don't matter today," Celestia spoke up, a glint in her eyes.

"That's correct."

"Then why won't you fight, Savus?" Celestia's tone changed, she was agressive.

Arctus turned to the general, "later tonight, I'll kick your intoxicated slag ass around the yard, even the city if you like."

"Is he handing out free flank whoopin's?" Applejack swung her filled cup about, looking to Celestia.

"Did you want one, Applejack?" The farm pony's mouth fell open while Celestia laughed.

Arctus had wandered off from the conversation, somehow missing anyone's notice. He found himself a second cup, already drinking away at it.

"Arctus."

Another familiar face called him from behind, Silver Spike.

"Silver, are you enjoying yourself?"

He had a cup of hard cider with him, "I am. I had a report to gi-."

"Save it, tonight is for self-indulgence."

Silver nodded to him, "your armor-."

"Costed a lot," Arctus laughed, beginning to feel the effects of the hard drink he was downing. He wasn't a professional in alcohol consumption by any means, "that shortsword treating you well?"

"It. Cuts. Down. Trees!" Silver Spike skipped about, "I've never been able to do something so powerful."

"I remember the feeling," Arctus smiled, "I also remembered being humiliated in a duel when it boosted my ego too much."

"I'd like another duel with you," Silver came to a stop, looking at his old trainer.

"If time allows, we can meet in my forest where we won't destroy or harm anypony. I'm being kept busy."

"What are you two doing?" The other Scout had made her way over.

"Oh, afternoon, Strong Stitch," Silver smiled, "we don't really get to talk all that often."

"Switching posts after today, should I expect anything out there?"

"Plenty of firewood," Silver Spike laughed, "but...that Southern kingdom is terrifying, there's always a black cloud overtop it and these flying-."

"We're not doing doom and gloom or conducting Scout business," Arctus roughly grabbed both of them, pulling the two warriors close, "we're celebrating."

Strong Stitch lifted a cup of some alcohol into the air, Arctus' nose was dulling, he couldn't quite make out scents.

And the three drank.