• Published 16th Oct 2023
  • 95 Views, 1 Comments

Nightshade: Into the Fire - JustPonyboy



Nightshade's reset the world, but somehow... It feels different.

  • ...
 1
 95

Chapter 11

Ginger awoke alone in his room, the sound of rain greeted him. He glanced around his room, the blankets he'd lent his guest were neatly folded and the food and drink cleaned up. Even his glasses were neatly folded on his nightstand. He stood up sleepily, putting on his glasses, and froze as he smelled something. Eggs. He rushed downstairs slowly creeping into the kitchen, Hazel stood in the kitchen in front of the stove. Ginger hadn't noticed it initially, but Hazel seemed to be quietly singing to himself as he gracefully navigated around the cupboards.

"Staying still, eyes closed... Let the world just pass me by- AHH!" He flinched as he turned, meeting Ginger's amused gaze, "You scared the hell out of me."

"Sorry. Just... I'm not used to having anyone cook for me. Not since my parents left."

Ginger frowned, looking down at the floor.

"Well, hey. I'd be glad to cook for you anytime."

Ginger lifted his gaze with a sweet smile and felt his heart flutter when Hazel giggled, Hazel's smile seemed to brighten up the room. They sat down at Ginger's dining room table and began to eat.

Ginger paused for a moment, "This is going to sound weird. Considering we've just met. There's a Gala going on at the castle in a few days. I don't want to seem like I'm forcing you. But- "

"There's a party going on?" His words broke the awkwardness. "Sounds sweet."

Ginger was surprised by the excitement in his voice.

"Well, yes, but you have to wear a suit and-"

"I'm fine with that, it sounds like fun."

Ginger couldn't help but grin at his eagerness.


Strike stood outside a small home, holding an umbrella. Her boots were coated with mud, the last thing she wanted was to be in Ponyville in the rain. She didn't mind getting dirty, but she preferred Canterlot's paved roads.

A stallion cracked open the door open, "Goot Mornin'... You Strike?"

"Yeah. The very Captain." He opened the door and allowed Strike in. "How are you, Sioux? Ponyville treating you nicely?"

Strike carefully removed her muddy boots and left them by the door. He closed the door and offered Strike a chair at his dining room table, she sat, and he brought over a chair for himself before sitting. His pearlescent black and green mane and fur shined oddly in the soft light, his pale green eyes seemed nervous but joyful. He was dressed in a short sleeve button up and khakis

"Yes-s, we have enjoyed the time in Ponyville."

"You mean I. You would say I, you are talking about yourself. Try not to speak in the third person."

"You are right. W- I am enjoying my residence in this village. Everypony is so nice to me. The soft white one made me a suit even. But some of the colts and fillies look at me funny when I go outside. I live just like them, do I not?"

The changeling frowned.

Strike nodded, "That may be, but you have to understand. You are different. Everyone is, even me. But being different is good, could you imagine if everyone looked and acted the same? Personally, I'd get sick of that quick. I like myself, but not that much."

Strike ended with a chuckle, and that seemed to lift his spirits.

"Besides, I'm not gonna leave you alone during the gala. Now, even though you're a unicorn, I know you like the Wonderbolts and it just so happens I let slip to their rookie that I'd be attending... You're gonna be the only stallion there with two dates, let alone a date with a Royal Captain and a star Wonderbolt."


"Do you think whatever came out of that ship was dangerous?"

Nightshade looked across the table at the alicorn who was absentmindedly picking at his food, "Honestly?"

Ace nodded.

"I have no clue. I'm treating it the same as the labs. I don't want to underestimate anything, and I'm not taking any chances. That means you have to be ready too, with so many ponies congregated in one area it might be a target."

"Bri and O'Malley are pretty scary..."

"In public, sure."

"What does-"

"Don't worry about it."

"They seem like they can handle this." Ace finally got out, but Nightshade shook his head.

"We can worry about this tomorrow," Nightshade got up from his chair, "Finish your food and get some sleep. We all need to be able to handle this. We can't rely on Strike this time because she has an HVI to protect, but there will be extra security. Hopefully, that helps us out. Goodnight Ace."