• Published 16th Oct 2023
  • 108 Views, 0 Comments

Nightshade: The Adventure Begins - JustPonyboy



Nightshade Valentine is tasked with his most challenging mission yet, babysitting.

  • ...
 0
 108

Chapter 5

They finally hit the base of the stairs, where a red panda patterned unicorn paced nervously, her glasses threatening to fall from her muzzle. Her matted red mane tied back in a messy ponytail and her lab coat dingy.


She looked relieved when she looked up at Nightshade, "Thank Celestia, Nebula's waiting for you."


She must be the assistant, Nebula probably doesn't even let her sleep. Nightshade almost felt bad for the mare, all that missed sleep has to be affecting her negatively. The dark circles around her eyes confirmed his theory.


The assistant trotted over into the lab following Nightshade and shivered under Nebula's cold gaze met her, "I-I, they're here RS Nebula."


"What's the situation, Nebula?"


The green-maned blue unicorn looked almost hurt, "What? No hello? Ah well, we have more pressing matters to attend to. So, we already know Ace has a small but very powerful magic field around him. Similar to a defense matrix. With it, he can focus it to manipulate others and their emotions, he's had it since he was found- "


Nightshade's muzzle contorted into confusion, "What the hell do you mean, found?"


Nebula floated a black folder over to the stallion, "Read his file. Turns out we weren't the only ones who were keeping tabs on him. The Changelings, as well as Gryphons, dragons, and even Discord in some cases, seem to all want him. Which is why I pulled some strings to get you here, Canterlot has been on lockdown for a while, but the citizens are none the wiser. Celestia set a barrier over the city, invisible to the naked eye. The coronation? Canceled. Another event taking its place, hopefully, the news of cancellation will ward off danger."


"That didn't answer my question. Well, I think the kid should stay in Canterlot," Nightshade offered, pushing up his glasses and earning a wild look from the three ponies in the room. "Now hear me out. We called off the event, right? The safest thing he can do is hide in plain sight."


Strike rubbed her chin, "That's not the worst idea you've ever had. Alright, I'll arrange something with Ginger if he isn't too busy following Octavia's tail. Alright, this conversation doesn't leave this room, just to be clear."


An abrupt knock at the door jolted Ginger awake, he yawned and attempted to roll out of his bed only to hear a sleepy groan in protest. Ace was tightly wrapped around his waist, a content look on his face. Over the course of the week, he'd grown accustomed to waking up this way, tangled with the gray pony every morning. He understood why Nightshade dumped Ace on him, the colt got attached quite easily. Physically and emotionally. After peeling the prince's hooves off of himself, he grabbed his glasses and set them gently on his muzzle. He trotted to the door, rubbing his eyes, who could be knocking at this hour?


Before he could reach the front door, he heard a mechanical click and Nightshade walked in wearing a dress shirt and a top hat. He blinked at Ginger's current disheveled look, as the tan pegasus squinted back in stern disapproval.


"We're going to have a serious talk about that. What do you want? Prince is nice and asleep."


Nightshade stepped forward into the flat and shut the door, "How's he been all week? Any fluctuations? Did he influence you?"


"No. None of that. He was really clingy. Needed help with everything. Why?"


"Oh. Well, he must really like- "


Ace trudged out from the hall adjacent to the front door, "What is Nightshade doing here? And why is he dressed up?"


Nightshade raised an eyebrow, "Did I interrupt something?"


"No!" Ginger was livid, "You're a sick puppy Nights."


"If you didn't do anything, you wouldn't be so defensive."


Nightshade chuckled, much to Ginger's bemusement, Maybe I can get Gin to join my little crew. Another logical mind might be good.


"Ace! Sorry to wake you, I've got a wedding to attend, and I'm allowed a few guests and since you two are already in the city I figured you wanted to see Cadence and whoever the hell the other stallion is tying the knot. Plus, I can finally get some answers out of that fat cow- Do you smell sulfur?"


An explosion rocked the house and Ace clung to Ginger, nearly tackling him to the floor, the fear and panic from Ace were almost tangible.