• Published 29th Sep 2023
  • 728 Views, 69 Comments

The Dance - MLPFan98



Dinky Hooves and Spike go to the Schoolhouse dance together

  • ...
3
 69
 728

Dinner and Emotions

Author's Note:

So this was going to be the dance included,d but a part of me felt like the dance itself should be separate from the dinner.

My god...I didn't think this story would get so popular in one weekend! I mean the clopfic I did last weekend got popular too but still. I'm so glad you all enjoy this small story, it means a lot to make you all smile.

Hey, that's my job!

Well, Pinkie, they all like the story, it; 's every author's job to make people smile with their fics.

I guess so...so will Spike and Dinky fall in love? Oh, I got to get a party set up for them!

Now, now, we need to wait and see, alright? Just be patient!

Sorry Fanny, but patience is not my thing! Oh and everypony, just letting you know, Fanny works a 10 hr job during the week, so if there si ever a story he is working on, he will update it at his own pace. So unlike me, be patient.

Wow, Pinks...that is a lot coming from you.

Well, I am glad to see you doing more stuff than just the crossover we have with Benny. *hugs me*

*hugs back* thanks Pinkie. anyway, sit back and enjoy the new chapter everyone :)

Golden Oaks Library

Well, today was the big day, the day of the annual Ponyville Schoolhouse Dance! And many fillies and colts could not be any more excited for such an event! But there were two particular creatures the most excited…two guesses as to who

Spike was now at the library, going over a list of what to get. He had to go to Rarity’s to get himself a tuxedo, then he had to go get some flowers, and then some other stuff he would need for Dinky.

Rarity….when Spike thought of the fashionista, he tried to imagine her lovely face, tried to feel the lovely bubbly goofy side of him that he always felt when around her. But for some odd reason, thai time was a bit different ... because he started not to see her in that way.

Like normally even the very thought of Rarity could make his heartbeat go faster than a train, but when he tried to think of her like that…he didn't feel his heartbeat race…in fact, he didn't see or feel anything romantically about Rarity, why was that?

Spike shook his head but then wondered about what to do with Dinky before the dance. “Maybe we can go to the Hay Burger for some food, and then the dance.” He said as he smiled at the thought of it all and the most interesting thing about this? When he thought about Dinky’s smile, he began to feel his heartbeat go fast, like how it was with Rarity…but he frowned, why was he thinking of this?

He doesn’t like Dinky like that! He was in love with Rarity, Rarity! Dinky he just saw as a friend…well sorta, he was hoping that they could know each other a bit better tonight at dinner and at the dance…he then shook his head, now was not the time to deal with conflicting thoughts, now was the time to prepare. He just has to go to Rarity’s to get his tuxedo.


Hooves Residence

Dinky, while still nervous, was for the most part, excited about the dance, since she knew that her mom would be there chaperoning, and also because Spike would be there as well. She was doing what they had planned. Dinner, dancing, maybe a kiss and-wait a minute!

Was she just thinking about a kiss? Dinky’s face turned red and shook her head, why did she think that? That didn't make any sense at all! No, why should she think of that sort of thing? Kisses are icky!

Dinky then inwardly took a deep breath to calm herself down. She had to figure these conflicting feelings out and she needed to do it very soon. But for now, she had a lot of stuff to do in order to get ready, first, she needed her dress, and then she needed to see what kind of jewelry she would wear…oh this was so exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time!

“Dinky!” The filly turned to see her mother peer into her bedroom door with her usual smile. “Are you excited?”

“Yes, mom.” Dinky happily said. “I can't wait for tonight! I especially can't wait to be with Spike, I hope he can dance pretty good.”

Derpy giggled. “I’m sure he will.” She said as she poked her head out the room. After she left, Dinky plopped onto her bed with a smile..this was going to be a great night.


Rarity’s Boutique

Spike had finally arrived at the boutique and went to the desk to ring the bell.

DING DING

“Be right there!” The familiar voice called out as Spike sighed in relief. Normally he would be so excited at seeing Rarity, but this time was different, he was not there to flirt, not there to compliment, nothing…all he came to do was get his tuxedo and that was that.

While he waited, Spike remembered what happened yesterday with Dinky, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon and he thought long and hard about it. Why were Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon so mean? What was their beef with Dinky and many others?

All he knew was that if they were to do this at the dance, then he would be the one protecting Dinky, just like yesterday.

“Spike!” The young drake's thoughts were interrupted by the timely arrival of Rarity, who was smiling at him. “What can I do for you?” She asked him.

Spike nodded. “I need my tuxedo.” He said.

“Oh right, let me go get it for you darling.” She said as she trotted off to get his tuxedo. When she did so, a part of her felt excited for him. Twilight told her about Spike going to the dance with Dinky and Rarity couldn't help but feel excitement for him. Of course, she knew about his crush on her after his…mild rampage through Ponyville on his birthday.

But why did she never say anything about it? Whether it was due to her not wanting to hurt his feelings or something else..it didn't matter, all she could do was hope that maybe…Spikes crush on her will end and he can pursue somepony who was around his own age.

“Aha! Here we are!” Rarity said as she used her magic to alleviate a nice-looking black tuxedo that came with a gem-encrusted bumper bud and gem bowtie. Rarity used her magic to alleviate the suit Spike. “Here you go, Spike.” She said.

Spike took the clothing and smiled. “Thanks, Rarity.” He said with a smile and was prepared to turn around to leave, but he then stopped and frowned a bit. “Hey, Rarity?” He said, getting her attention. “I have a question for you.”

“Oh, what could that be?” She asked.

Spike wanted to ask her about a possible future involving him and her, but something in his gut told him not to. After that, he sighed and shook his head. “Never mind,” He said as he walked out of the boutique, leaving a confused yet concerned Rarity looking after him.


Golden Oaks Library

5 hours later…

The day had come and gone and Celestia’s sun was only beginning to go down a bit. Spike was checking himself out in the mirror. All dressed up in his tuxedo, with his cumberbund and bow tie on. “Alright Spike, remember.” He thought. “We are just going as friends, just as friends.” He kept thinking about it, but the question was…why was his heart still beating fast at the thought of Dinky?

All he could do was sigh and go down the stairs, where he saw Twilight looking at him with a big smile on her face. “Oh, look at you, looking so dapper.” She said,

“Twilight, please.” Spike said, feeling a bit embarrassed.

“Right, sorry.” Twilight said sheepishly but then got serious. “Now Spike, remember, make sure you treat her right, make sure to act like a proper gentle colt, make sure she-”

“Twilight!” Spike exclaimed. “I understand, no need to freak out!”

Twilight sighed. “I’m sorry, Spike. But just the fact that you have a date, your first date, I can't be any more prouder and happier.” She said as she went over and gave him a hug, a hug that he sighed to but returned nonetheless.

“Yea..I guess.” Spike said with a small smile as he then looked up at the clock. “Oh, shoot! I gotta get going.” He said. “I’m going to go pick up Dinky and we are going to go get something to eat at Hay Burger before we go to the dance.” He said as he got to the door, and he turned back around. “Are you sure you can't chaperone?”

Twilight shook her head. “I have some studying to do.” She said. “Just enjoy yourself alright?” She said to him. “And treat her right, you hear me?” She asked.

“I will.” Spike said as he grabbed the flowers nearby and opened the door and walked right out of it. Twilight was now all by herself…and what was she going to do now?

“MY BABY IS GOING ON A DATE!!” She shouted with tears of joy going down her face. “Oh, Spike, I'm so proud of you!”


Hooves Residence

Dinky was now looking at herself in the mirror. Her dress was a baby blue dress with little sequins at the bottom, her dirty blond mane was now groomed and braided up, and she was also wearing a lovely pink eyeshadow as well as a pearl necklace around her neck.

Derpy entered the room and gasped, making the illy turn to her. “Dinky, you look so lovely.”

Dinky giggled. “Thanks, mom.” She said as she looked down. “Do you think Spike will like my look?” she asked with hesitation. “Oh, maybe he won't like my mane or my eyeshadow. Dang it, why did I have-” but she was soon stopped by Derpy, who put her hoof to her lips.

“Dinky Hooves.” Derpy said to her with sternness in her voice. “Spike is going to think that you are the prettiest filly in all of Ponyville,” she told her with a smile. Dinky looked at her mom and smiled back.

Of course, she believed her, but in her mind, she was still a bit nervous about what Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would say at the dance..well..all she could do is hope and pray for the best

DING DONG

Dinky's ears perked up. “It must be him!” She exclaimed with excitement as she ran to the door. She gave a cough and fixed her mane a bit before she opened her mouth. “Who is it?” She asked.

“A young dragon here to escort a lovely filly to the dance.” Dinky had to blush at Spiked words.

“I’m coming.” She said as she opened the door to see Spike right at the door in his suit and flowers in claws. When the two saw each other, they both blushed. Dinky thought Spike looked very handsome and cute in his tuxedo, and her face was redder due to the flowers he was carrying.

Spike himself was blushing because of how beautiful Dinky looked in that outfit, with her makeup and hair all done…she looked like an angel. “Wow…she is even prettier than Rarity.” He thought with a love-sick smile on his face. His thoughts then ended when he saw Derpy at the door.

“Ok kids, so what are you going to do first?” Derpy asked.

“Well, I thought of going to the Hay Burger, and then we make our way to the dance.” Spike told the postmare, who smiled.

“Ok then, I’m going to go ahead to the school to help prepare things.” She said as she then closed the door and began to take off. “I’ll see you both in a little while.” she called out to them as she took off, leaving the two kids alone.

Spike looked at Dinky and gulped. “Hey Dinks,” He handed her the flowers. “I got you these.” He said.

The filly looked at them and slightly blushed. “Spike, thank you.” She said as she used her horn to take them close to her face to take a whiff. “These are lovely.” She said as she then quickly placed them back in the house.

Spike then gave a calm sigh as he extended an arm. “Shall we go to dinner, my lady?” He asked.

Dinky giggled and nodded. “Yes, my gentladrake.” She said as she took his arm into hers and they both walked to the Hay Burger.


Hay Burger

To say that the two were being watched was a bit of an understatement because it seemed as if the patriots of the burger joint were eyeing Spike and Dinky for some reason, whether it was because the filly was with a dragon or something else.

As they were eating, Spike was telling Dinky some stories about his time growing up in Canterlot. “So you were just found as an egg?” Dinky asked with interest.

Spike nodded. “Yep, I don't know where I came from or anything. All I know is that I was given Twilight as an exam for her to get into Celestia's school.” He said as he took a bite of his burger.

Dinky looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “So like…do you know anything about your biological parents?” She asked.

Spike stopped eating and looked at Dinky, and then down at his burger. “N-no…no I don’t.” He said with a small frown. “I have been meaning to ask, but I never had the time to do it.” He said as Dinky looked at him with concern.

“I’m sorry.” She said meekly. “I shouldn't have-

“Oh no, you're fine.” Spike said with a small smile. “I’m not upset. I am just stating the obvious.” He said as he took another bite of his burger, and a part of him shook a bit as he looked at Dinky. “Hey, Dinky…can I ask you something?” Dinky looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “Have you ever…felt useless?” He asked.

Dinky stopped eating to process what he was saying. “W-why do you ask?” She asked hesitantly.

Spike then put his food down and gave a deep sigh. “Because…I feel like that sometimes.” He said. “You see, when me and Twilight came here to Ponyville, all of a sudden she had a whole bunch of new friends to call her own…and what about me? There have been times where I have either been told to stay behind.” He sighed.

“Like when everypony went to the Grand Galloping Gala, I was so excited to spend time with them all, I had everything planned…but they all took off and did their own thing and I was left by myself.” He sighed again. “And then there was the time around 3 weeks ago when everypony went to see Pinkie Pie's sister Maud, but did I meet her? Nope! I wasn't even aware of her having a sister till after the fact!”

Dinky noticed how Spike was trembling a bit and she was getting nervous. “Spike-”

“WHY?” He exclaimed in anger. “Why is it that I am all of a sudden tossed to the side like trash? What did I do to deserve this? Do they hate me?” He asked as tears began to spill out of the corners of his eyes. “Are they embarrassed of me because I’m a dragon?” He asked softly as tears spilled out of his eyes

But then he heard hoofbeats and he looked up to see Dinky giving him a soft look, after a few seconds she lunged and hugged him tightly “I don’t think you deserve it.” She softly said to him as Spike then wrapped his arms around her. “I might not know you that much, but I think you're awesome.” She said as she looked at him. “Maybe after the dance…you could talk to Twilight about this.”

Spike sniffles again. “But what if she thinks I'm being a wuss?”

Dinky gave a small smile. “I don't think that will happen.” She said, Spike then looked at her and down and sighed.

“I’m sorry if I ruined our dinner.” He said.

Dinky snorted. “It's fine, I’m having a great time with you.” She said to him, “To be honest, sometimes I feel like it too.” She said.

Spike wiped his tears away and looked at her curiosity. “Huh?” He asked with the filly nodding her head.

“With my mom…sometimes I just feel like there is nothing I can do to help her, you know? Whether it’s getting the wrong mail delivered or crashing into things…sometimes I wish I could help, you know? I could help her on her deliveries…but I’m still a little filly.” Now it was her turn to start shedding tears.

“She does so much for me, and she is often ridiculed for it too.” she sniffles as Spike watches on. “Sometimes…I fear as if somepony will complain and take me away from her.” She said,

She then felt something touch her hooves and saw Spike give a fierce determined look. “That will not happen.” He said to her.

“But-”

“But nothing! It won't happen, I promise you.” Spike said to her. “And if anyone is to say otherwise…well, remember I am Twilgith's assistant, ergo I have seen and met with Princess Celestia…so if anypony complains…I’ll go straight to her.” He said.

Dinky looked at him with winged eyes as tears spilled even more. “Dang it, look at what you're doing!” She said with playful sarcasm. “Now I'm The one ruing dinner.” She said, and they brought laughter to the two kids. “I guess we are both not that very different.

Spine nodded in agreement. “I guess not." He said with a smile, a smile that Dinky returned but then raised an eyebrow. “Hey, what time is it?” He asked her, but all he got was shrug.

“It’s 6:50.” Said a random stallion with a smile, and this made the two kids go wide-eyed.

“THE DANCE!” They both shouted as they grabbed their burgers shoved the entire thing into their mouths and hopped off the table. Spike left some bits on the table and along with Dinky, made a dash out of the restaurant.