• Published 28th Sep 2023
  • 2,486 Views, 40 Comments

Sunshine and Tia - RunicTreetops



Being married to the ex-princess of the sun tends to get you involved in strange antics. Like, all the time. Frankly, you wouldn't trade it for the world.

  • ...
14
 40
 2,486

Costumes

Anon sighs as he feels magic begin to leave his body. This isn't the first time he's had this happen to him, but he hates it all the same. Begrudgingly, he looks up at his wife.

Yes, up.

"Aww, you look adorable, sunshine!"

"...Great."

Anon closes his eyes and rubs his temple with his... hoof? Indeed, Celestia appears to have cast some sort of shapeshifting spell on him. He now takes the form of not just a pony, but a young filly. His coat is a faded green color, and his messy hair and tail are jet black. He hates every minute of it.

Meanwhile, his now comparatively taller wife looks down at him with a wide grin on her face. She has used a similar spell on herself. She wears bright orange armor and regalia, and her cutie mark has extended to have an orange, fire-like appearance across her whole flank. Most notably, however, are her mane and tail, which appear to be made out of a raging fire. That said, if one were to stick their hoof into said "fire," they would find that it's merely an illusion and no more harmful than her regular mane. Indeed, she has taken on the appearance of the dreaded Daybreaker.

"Are you ready, sunshine~?"

"Do I really need to go out in public like this?"

"I do believe you were the one that lost our little bet last night! Soooooo... yup!"

Anon sighs.

"Let's just get this over with."

"Look on the bright side," Celestia cheerfully says as the pair walks out of their front door and into the cool evening air, "it's probably the most convincing costume out here!"

The costumed couple look around at the late Ponyville evening. Ponies are happily walking to and fro, each and every one wearing some sort of getup or costume. Children laugh as they go door to door, and adults enjoy themselves just as much watching over said children or taking part in any of the multitude of games set up around the town.

Tonight is Nightmare Night, and it's already in full swing.

A couple begins to pass by them, which Anon recognizes as Lyra Heartstrings and her ((((((((roommate)))))))). Lyra appears to be wearing a red jacket and has a blonde wig, while Bon Bon is covered in fake scratches, wears a set of cat-like ears, and has two different contacts in, one blue, one yellow. The pair don't even acknowledge Anon in his filly form, and instead gasp and back away from "Daybreaker." It isn't until Celestia smiles and waves at them that they realize she is wearing a costume, and they easily laugh it off and walk away.

"Why do I get the feeling you're going to be attracting a lot of attention to us tonight?"

"Isn't that the point of dressing up to begin with?"

Anon makes an uncertain inhaling sound.

"I mean, maybe? But aren't you afraid that it might upset-"

"HIYA!" Anon is interrupted by the sudden arrival of Pinkie Pie, who appears to have dyed her coat purple. She is either wearing a wig, or has dyed her mane blue and straightened it out a fair deal. She has an obviously fake horn on her forehead, upon which rests a tennis ball. "Ooooooo, nice evil alter-ego costume, Celestia! And you!" Pinkie zips over to Anon and looks down at him with a grin on her face. "...What are you supposed to be?"

Celestia chuckles and speaks up before Anon gets a chance to respond.

"Anon is 'dressed up' as what he would look like if he were a pony. And a child. And a female."

"Neato!"

Anon grumbles something beneath his breath, but neither Pinkie nor Celestia are able to make out what it is.

"And what are you supposed to be, Pinkie Pie?"

"I'm Izzy Moonbow!"

"I must apologize, but I do not know who that is."

"That's okay! She hasn't been born yet!"

"Er... huh?"

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure somepony out there gets it."

If Pinkie were to exist in a medium where an outside observer might be able to see what goes on in her life via some sort of omniscient camera-like device, she would be acknowledging said camera in this particular moment with a smirk on her face. However, because such an idea is utterly ridiculous, her intention of doing so is completely meaningless.

"W-well, that's... lovely, Pinkie Pie."

"Thank you! Now if you'll excuse me, I have obscure references to be making in other people's fics right now!" Pinkie runs off fast enough to leave a dust cloud in her own image behind her, but before said dust cloud can comically dissipate, she runs right back. "By the by, have you two seen Luna? I haven't heard from her tonight."

"I was actually wondering where she is, myself."

"Oh well. Good luck!"

And with that, Pinkie runs off a second time, leaving the couple out in the evening air yet again.

"Well, shall we get going?"

Anon says nothing and merely walks by Celestia's side. It takes a notable amount of effort, both because he isn't used to walking on four legs that don't have feet and because he is so much smaller than she is.

"Next year, we're doing Halloween my way."

"Ooo, is that another of your human holidays?!" Her voice sounds excited and her eyes, which are covered by tinted contact lenses to make her appear more threatening, sparkle with interest.

"It is where I'm from. Other cultures have their own traditions and stuff, but... eh, I guess it doesn't really matter." Anon waves a hoof in front of him as if to indicate that he wants to change the topic. "Anyway, what's the plan?"

"To be honest, my only real goal was to tease Luna about her Nightmare Moon costume. After that, we can do whatever you'd like!"

Celestia and Anon turn a corner and simultaneously let out a yell. From behind a large crate, a tall, dark-colored mare leaps out at them, her blue armor, black coat, and space-like mane clashing directly with Celestia's own ensemble. Instinctively, after a brief moment of fear, Anon shakily puts himself between Celestia and this new threat, only for his wife to begin laughing hysterically.

"Wh-what?"

"S-sunshine, I'm flattered that your first instinct was to protect me, but it's hard to take you seriously when you look so darn cute!"

Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon looks down at the pair with shock, her intimidating eyes wide with confusion.

"S-sister?!"

"Hmm?"

"Wh-who is this?! Do not tell me you and Anon had a child?!"

"Anon and I had a... oh. Oh!" Celestia snickers as she regains her composure and effortlessly picks Anon up with her magic. He says nothing, and merely stares at the obviously costumed Luna with half-lidded eyes and an annoyed expression. "No, this is just his costume this year!"

"Oh. Good." Luna lets out a deep breath that she was apparently holding in. "But I must ask, why did you choose to be a... filly?"

"I didn't. Tia decided that for me."

"He lost a bet," Celestia adds, causing Luna to raise an eyebrow.

"What kind of bet?"

"Please," Anon mumbles. "Please, don't ask."

"..." Luna's gaze slowly turns from Anon to Celestia. "Very well?"

"Oh, that's not important anyway!" Celestia stomps one of her hooves onto the grass below as she puts Anon down. "You're supposed to be admiring my costume!"

"Yes, I see you went as Daybreaker on the holiday about Nightmare Moon. How... creative," she says sarcastically.

"Like going as Nightmare Moon on Nightmare Night is any more creative?!"

"It isn't just a costume, dear sister. It's my duty."

"Nopony said you have to do this every Nightmare Night."

"What else would you have me do, sit at home all evening?!"

"That's what I'd like to be doing," Anon mutters.

"Nopony asked!" Both sisters yell simultaneously.

Anon continues to stare at the pair with half-lidded eyes and a bored expression while the sisters resume their argument. After a few minutes, he comes to the realization that they could very well be going at it all night. With a sigh, he turns his attention elsewhere, seeing a group of fillies presenting their Nightmare Night baskets to a nearby homeowner.

...Wait. That gives him an idea.


Celestia throws the front door of her home open with an aggravated look on her face.

"Sunshine, you'd better be here! I told you not to leave my sight!"

"I think you're forgetting that I only look like a filly. I can take care of myself, Tia."

She flicks on the lights, only to see Anon, still "dressed" as a filly, sitting at the kitchen table surrounded by candy wrappers.

"What did you do?!"

"Trick-or-treating."

"You really just told me that you're not a filly, then admitted to going trick-or-treating?"

"Figured I'd test your theory about my costume being convincing. Turns out, it is."

Celestia sighs.

"Does that give you an excuse to act childishly?"

"Is arguing with your sister in public over a costume any less childish, miss 'I was a princess for over a thousand years?'"

"..."

"By the by, I saved you some."

Anon slides a basket across the table towards Celestia. She takes a step forward and peers inside, immediately noticing just how much candy Anon collected and subsequently kept for her.

"Sunshine..." A gentle smile makes its way to her face. "Thank you, I suppose."

"Great. Now." Anon places both of his front hooves on the table with a serious expression on his face. "Turn me back."

Celestia looks him up and down, her smile never fading.

"Hmm. Maybe later." Once again, Anon finds himself being magically lifted into the air and carried to the nearby couch. "I want to squeeze you a little bit first. You're just so cute!"

Anon sighs.

Nightmare Night sucks.

Author's Note:

Happy Nightmare Night, everyone!

...What do you mean it was two weeks ago?