• Published 3rd Oct 2023
  • 478 Views, 10 Comments

The Legend of Cozy Glow - kleia



All Sprout wanted to do was learn about chess... who the hay was Cozy Glow?

  • ...
3
 10
 478

Bridlewood, maybe? [DC 12 Failure]

Sprout scrunched his brow in thought. Where unicorns come from? Bridlewood, maybe? But a castle? And a prison? Gasp! Unless Bridlewood was hiding a dark secret!! Sprout made a face similar to the cover image, slamming the book shut as the apparition began to repeat itself, making haste to check out the book and run home.

As soon as he got home, he packed a bag and placed his unicorn repellent hat on his head as he ran out the door, sprinting through Maretime Bay onto the road to Bridlewood. The stallion didn't stop until he made his way all the way to Bridlewood, collapsing on the ground in the crystally forest home of many unicorns. His anti-brain zap hat had fallen off, rolling and bumping hooves with Alphabittle, who's eyes followed its trail to the red earth pony. Alpha raised an inquisitive eyebrow and strode over, offering hoof to the fallen pony.

Sprout once again made a cover image face, screaming and cowering in fear, making an even bigger scene.

"I KNOW YOU HAVE AN ANCIENT CASTLE AND SOMEPONY NAMED COZY GLOW LOCKED AWAY IN YOUR PRISONS!" Sprout shouted, scrambling to get up. Silence fell over the crowd that had now gathered.

Alphabittle thought for a moment, then let out a loud, hardy guffaw; "Wh? What? Castle?" he said between bursts of laughter. "Prisoner? Cozy Glow?" he continued through laughter. He calmed himself down and took a breath. "You're a funny one Sprout, and just in time for Comedy Night, too," Alphabittle said, once again offering Sprout his hoof.

Did he truly not know anything? Sprout would have to investigate over this... "comedy night" that Alphabittle referred to. Sprout pouted and took his hoof, rising, following Alphabittle to his teahouse.

Inside, jazz music played and the aroma of tea filled Sprout's nostrils, his eyes wandering around his surroundings. The overall vibe was calm and collected, and worked wonders at calming Sprout down. He sat at the bar adjacent to the stage, where Alphabittle was already pouring his cup of tea, gesturing to a seat that was free. Sprout climbed into the seat and nodded his thanks, taking a sip of his tea. Ow! Hot!! He fanned his mouth, Alphabittle stifling a chuckle.

"Sorry, probably should have warned you it would be hot. What brings you to Bridlewood? And what about castles and prisons?" Alphabittle inquired, offering a face of apology to Sprout. Sprout pouted in reply at first.

"I found a book that had this? Magical hologram? Thing?" Sprout stopped talking at Alphabittle's puzzled face. "I'll just show you - " Sprout reached into his saddlebag and pulled out the leather bound tome, the gold leaf emblazoned on the front in a rook shape sparkling in the low light of the teahouse. Sprout placed it gently on the counter and opened even more carefully, reading the words once more. Again, they glowed and the apparition appeared, repeating what was said earlier in Sprout's day.

"So ancient unicorn home brought you here, I see." Alphabittle said, closing the book. "That sounds more like Canterlot, from Bridlewood history books. As far as I'm aware, that ancient city still stands, albeit dangerous to visit." Alphabittle said, shuffling around behind the counter. The grey stallion levitated an old map onto the counter in front of Sprout, unraveling it.

The fragile paper was an old map, where his hometown, Bridlewood, and Zephyr Heights were recognizable, but the map extended far beyond. Alphabittle pointed out a spot beyond the Everfree, a mountainous zone where an old castle was drawn on, labelled "Canterlot".

"Whoever this little pegasus is, I think she wants you to go there," Alphabittle said, eyeing Sprout. He looked the map over and sketched out his own copy.

"T-Thank you, Alphabittle, for the tea and the map." Sprout said, standing to go.

"You're not staying for comedy night?" Alphabittle questioned.

"Nope! I have chess to learn, and that little filly is the key, I just know it!" Sprout said, trotting into town and into the woods.