• Published 17th Sep 2023
  • 1,855 Views, 18 Comments

Slumber Party - CasualFanDontJudge



Maybe accepting an invitation to join his friends for a sleep over wasn't the wisest decision Spike could have made.

  • ...
5
 18
 1,855

Chapter 3

A comfortable atmosphere had settled around the eight friends as they ate their pizza. For maybe the first time since he had arrived, Spike felt perfectly at ease with himself. Food always had a calming effect on him, especially when it was enjoyed in the company of people he cared about.

Everyone settled throughout the living room with their pizza, with Spike opting to sit cross-legged on the carpeted floor between Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Light conversation interspersed between bites, everyone being too preoccupied with satiating their hunger for anything more.

Spike bit into his slice of pizza, only half listening to the discussion between Dash and Pinkie over whether guitars or drums were the superior instrument. His eyes were drawn to the red and yellow flares of light flickering through the windows as night began to take its claim over the skies. The boy inclined his head toward a window to his right and observed the dancing swirls of color.

As Spike watched the sunset, a sense of finality came with the impending nightfall.

"I guess I am staying the night then," he put his plate aside to check his phone, "Seven ten." Spike grinned, feeling a surge of excitement rush through him at the prospect of getting to truly wind down with his friends. "School's been such a drag lately," he flinched; his grades were doing fine thanks to Twilight, but dealing with Garble and his band of idiots never failed to put him a bad mood.

Before he could lose himself in thought over his school woes, Spike tuned back into the casual group conversation at the mention of a few familiar names.

"I swear, it's been forever since we've had a boy over for the night! It was, like, ages ago when Twilight and, uh, the other Spike visited us that one time to help take down the Dazzlings!" Pinkie spoke while waving around her slice of pizza, sitting cross-legged and next to Twilight on the couch.

Twilight ducked her head to narrowly avoid the unintentional pizza attack, and after wiping a small droplet of tomato sauce from her sleeve, offered a response, "Ages ago? Wasn't that just last year?"

Rainbow Dash took a break from eating and placed her pizza on top of the box she had turned into a makeshift plate, "Whatever! What matters is how awesome Princess Twilight and, uh, Spike were to hang out with!" Twilight and Spike shared a nervous glance with one another, the mention of their Equestrian counterparts striking a decidedly strange feeling within them.

"Not that you guys aren't awesome too!" Fluttershy spoke as she placed a hand on Twilight's shoulder, offering her friend a reassuring smile.

Sunset cast a sultry gaze at the green haired boy, "I agree." Spike threw up a finger gun and winked at the girl; Sunset rolled her eyes and offered a chuckle in response.

Rainbow Dash continued, "Honestly, not sure the other Spike counts considering the whole, um, fire breathing...magical dragon thing." She rubbed her chin, internally debating whether dragons from parallel universes counted as regular boys.

"He sure was cute though!" Pinkie spat out as she chewed.

Spike rubbed a hand through his hair, not sure what to make of Pinkie's comment.

Applejack uncrossed her legs and leaned backward onto the ottoman she was sitting next to, "You could say that again, Pinkie! For bein' a dragon, he sure was a looker!" Applejack glanced at the boy to her left, "In fact, he reminds me of this other cute guy I know."

Spike locked eyes with Applejack for a moment before sighing, unable to feel anything but the faintest hints of embarrassment at his friends' shameless behavior at this point.

Rarity beamed with glee at the talk of their other world friends, "I must say, they were both so precious! Watching them fumble around trying to adjust to our world was so cute! And the way Spike got so defensive around Twilight was to die for!"

"Yeah! I swear, it looked like he was going to knock ol' Flashy-boy's block off at the dance!" Rainbow Dash chuckled, not caring about the particles of food that had escaped her mouth and onto Sunset's lap.

Sunset's brow twitched, but she ignored the urge to flick her athletic friend on the arm. She wiped the crumbs away and looked at Twilight, "Spike and Princess Twilight were pretty much connected at the hip while they were here! He was always following her around everywhere they went, they even slept together at the library!"

Twilight and Spike went wide-eyed and their faces flushed bright red. "They - they did what?" Twilight stammered out, nearly choking on a slice of pepperoni at Sunset's comment.

Fluttershy's cheeks similarly turned a bright red. "Oh my," the girl squeaked out under her breath.

Rarity looked at the chuckling form of Sunset, a dry expression on her face as she clarified for her, "Oh, Twilight. Not like that! They merely shared a bed for the night."

"I don't know about that, Rarity. They couldn't keep their hands off of each other! Who knows what they did in that library together while they were all alone!" Rainbow said, laughing as she joined in on the teasing of the duo.

"Oh, knock it off, Dash. I'm sure Spike was a perfect gentleman with Twilight - if he's anything like our Spike!" Applejack patted her friend on the back to show her sincerity, happy to defend the boy's proven chivalry.

Spike perked up at the kind gesture, but on the inside remained conflicted. A part of him enjoyed the attention being given to him by his friends, but the lewd comments were inspiring too many hazardous thoughts for his liking.

"I - he, he wouldn't have done anything she didn't want to." He nodded in Twilight's direction, hoping to ease her undoubtedly disturbed nerves at the innuendo, but she refused to make eye contact with him. Her eyes stared everywhere but at him; her face still burned red.

Spike spoke again, "I don't know what their deal is, but I'm sure they're just friends though. Right, Twilight?"

This time the girl was quick to agree with Spike, "From everything, er, Twilight and I have spoken about, I don't remember anything about her and the other Spike being romantically involved." The redness in Twilight's face partially faded away but her words felt strained, as if she were in pain.

"Oh, haven't those two known each other for, like, their entire lives? That's crazy! Is it true that Princess Twilight hatched Spike? Did she raise him? Did Twilight give him the name Spike?" Pinkie gasped, "Spike! Did Twilight name you?!?!?"

"No?"

"Not everyone or everything that happened in Equestria has an equivalent counterpart here, Pinkie Pie." Sunset reached for another slice of pizza, "Besides, it's obvious that our Spike hasn't been pseudo-adopted by Twilight." She focused her attention on Spike once more, "He's also not a secretary or librarian's assistant."

Spike chuckled, "Yeah, glad that's one thing that's different in our world."

A frown emerged on Twilight's lips, "What's that supposed to mean? What's wrong with libraries?"

Before the two could continue, Rainbow Dash interjected, "The way I see it, we're all basically the same in every world. That means dragon boy over here is the same guy who likes to cuddle up with his best friend under the sheets."

"That's not very fair, Rainbow Dash. They slept together because they were alone in a new world." Fluttershy pointed out, ignoring the eye roll she received in response from Dash.

"That doesn't explain why he got so mad about Flash putting the moves on her, does it?" Sunset thought out loud, a hint of amusement in her tone as she watched this world's version of the pair squirm.

Rarity took a sip of water to wet her throat, "I, for one, think it's quite charming if he does fancy the Princess. It's a classic tale of childhood friends falling in love without even realizing it!"

Applejack gave Rarity a skeptical look, "Didn't we just establish that she's like his mom?"

"I'm not sure about that, Applejack. She hatched him, but it was Twilight's parents and Princess Celestia who raised him."

Spike took in Sunset's words, "That...makes sense." He thought about the many ways Nightlight and Velvet had played a parental role in his life, "They are the closest thing I have to parents."

"So they aren't creepy freaks, got it. Do you think dragons and ponies can even do it?"

"RAINBOW DASH!"

"How inappropiate."

"Oh my..."

"I don't wanna think about it."

"Interesting..."

"Oh, what would their babies look like! Can dragons and ponies even have babies! I wonder what they're called!"

Spike brought a hand to cover his face, "Where did this all go wrong?"

As Rainbow Dash rolled around the floor in laughter, Twilight hoped the couch would open up to swallow her whole. She struggled to come up with words to calm the crowd of rowdy teens, "I...think that's enough about Princess Twilight and her love life."

Fluttershy vigorously nodded, eager to move on from the pony dragon love talk.

"Oh, I see. You wanna talk about your love life instead right, Twi?" A devious glint appeared in Rainbow's eyes as she channeled all of her attention to the usually easy to tease young woman.

To the group's surprise, Twilight appeared undisturbed at the focus being drawn to her romantic endeavors. She gave a dry laugh, "Nothing to say."

"You and Timber split, eh?" Rainbow pressed.

Twilight bobbed her head back and forth, carefully reflecting on what she wanted to say about her ex, "Something like that. He's cute and all, but we just weren't compatible."

"That's it? Anything else you'd like to share with us, Twilight?

Twilight and Sunset stared at each other; Twilight's neutral expression refused to budge in the face of Sunset's knowing smirk.

"There wouldn't have been another reason why you split? Nothing like another guy, right?"

"I...ugh..."

Twilight's expression began to crack; her anxiety steadily grew beneath the surface at the thought that her feelings for her friend and assistant had somehow escaped the confines of her mind.

Pinkie's comically loud gasp didn't help.

The five other girls looked back and forth at their friends, sweat building on their brows as they awaited the resolution to the now tense standoff.

Completely shattering the charged atmosphere without even realizing it, Spike stood to get another drink. As he poured the grape flavored soda into his cup, the boy looked over at Twilight, "Y'know, I never really liked the guy. He's rubbed me the wrong way since the first time I met 'em at camp." He took a swig of the fizzy drink, "I don't think he liked me much either. Sorry, Twilight."

Twilight flinched at her assistant's revelation, "You two didn't get along? Why didn't you tell me?"

Spike shrugged, "You looked happy with him. I didn't want to say anything 'cuz I didn't think it was worth hurting your relationship."

The girl's curiosity flared, "He...he didn't say or do something to you that I, we, should know about, right, Spike?"

As Spike deliberated on what to say, he was hit by a sudden chill in the room. He looked around at the various expressions of his friends, which could only be described as nightmare inducing. The looks on their faces, including Pinkie Pie's and Fluttershy's, looked like they were ready to separate someone's head from their body.

"If he hurt you, I swear I will remove that boy's pe-"

Spike's hands quickly shot up, "Hold on, Rarity! It's nothing like that, I swear!"

"Evidently, Spike, something happened between you two that left you with a bad impression of him." Twilight grit her teeth together, "What. Did. He. Do."

Fluttershy bared her canines, a low growl escaped her throat, "Tell me where he hurt you, Spikey. I'll rip him to shreds, I promise you!" Spike's skin crawled at the sudden onset of Fluttershy's feral-like condition.

"Sugarcube, you don't need to protect him."

"What she said! I'm with Fluttershy on this one all the way. I'm going to break every bone in his body if he laid so much as a finger on you Greenie, so help me -"

"It wasn't anything like that, honestly!" Spike rubbed the back of his neck as he attempted to calm his friends, "We just didn't get along."

"Did that meanie say something to you? I'll make sure he's never allowed inside Sweet Snacks ever again!"

"I don't think that's how that works, Pinkie." Sunset glanced at Spike, "Can you explain yourself better, Spike? Before we go have a little chat with Twilight's ex about the wonders of Equestrian magic."

Seven faces met his own. They silently watched him, waiting for an explanation.

"I, I - I'm not sure what to say. We didn't talk to each other much. He avoided me whenever I was around and Twilight wasn't in the room, and, well, Twilight knows that he didn't like hanging out with us when I was tagging along!"

Twilight looked down at her feet, "That's true. I did think it was pretty weird that he never wanted to hang out with Spike and I together." She motioned to her friends, "He was fine hanging out with you guys though!"

"Competition."

Everyone looked at Sunset, who had taken to stuffing another bite of pizza into her mouth.

"It's simple. Timber didn't mind hanging around us because he didn't view us as competition."

A realization dawned on the only male in the room, "Because you're girls."

"Astute observation, Spike." She cut him off before he could verbalize a response and continued, "You're basically the only non-relative guy in Twilight's life. You're literally almost always around her. You two have known each other since you were grade schoolers! Honestly, if I were in his situation, I would feel a little uncomfortable with you in the picture too, Spike."

Twilight grimaced, "I can see why my relationship with Spike would have made him feel insecure."

Spike agreed with his friend, but he wasn't prepared to admit that the insecurity and jealousy may have been a two way street in this instance. The sight of the couple together had always, for reasons unclear to him, inspired a deep seated envy within the boy.

"You always got Flash as second pick!"

Twilight couldn't prevent a laugh from escaping her lips at the mention of her counterpart's would-be suitor. A part of her sympathized with Flash's plight, but she felt almost nothing in a romantic sense for her classmate beyond appreciating his good looks. The girl's facial muscles twitched as she barely held a grin from breaking out. She concentrated on the laid out form of Rainbow Dash, who had taken to conspicuously laying the lower half of her legs across Spike's lap, "Flash is nice, but I barely know him! I understand he has history with Princess Twilight, but I've never really connected with him like that."

Spike considered protesting the invasion of his personal space, but the way Dash's toned, bare legs felt against his own bare skin was intoxicating. "I'm hopeless." The thought of stroking Rainbow's surprisingly soft and smooth calves crossed his mind; he violently shook his head to brake the leg induced daze, "Dude, that's creepy."

Rainbow Dash's legs were abruptly shoved from their resting position atop Spike's lap, "Sorry, Dash! I'm not the masseuse here!"

Spike ducked a half hearted kick from his friend and blew her a raspberry for her troubles, but his thoughts turned to the blue haired senior. The two were not close friends by any means, but he always enjoyed chatting with Flash when the opportunity arose. He figured that there was something about their mutual connection to Twilight that allowed them to get one another, but their shared love for listening to and playing music made them kindred spirits as well.

"Y'know, Flash isn't so bad. He's pretty cool when you get to know him, if I say so myself!"

"Ha! I see CHS's Twilight Sparkle fan club has two members already."

Twilight rolled her eyes, but Spike played along with Rainbow's jibe, "Sure we are! We meet every Monday at 5, you should see our Twilight themed shirts! They're limited edition."

"If there are Twilight shirts, count me in!" Pinkie lept to a standing position on the couch in one swift motion, "I'll throw you guys the biggest Twilight themed celebration there ever was! We can even invite Twilight! And the other Twilight too!"

The group descended into laughter at the absurd notion, but Spike had to admit that there was something oddly...alluring about the idea of hanging out with both Twilights at the same time. "I wonder if pony Twilight is rocking the same hot librarian look. Wait, what?" The boy's thoughts came to a halt, a cold sweat broke out as the world around him went silent. "What did I just say? Twilight, hot? Since when has Twilight been...hot?"

He couldn't help his vision from drifting to the sitting girl who was engaged in another conversation with their friends, "Hot. Twilight is hot. Like Rarity hot."

His face burned; no, his entire body burned. What did this mean? Why was the sight of Twilight causing him to feel this way? He watched as she brushed a few strands of hair from her face, "That should not have been that cute." Twilight was his friend, nothing more, right? Uncertainty clouded his mind. The sudden realization of his attraction to Twilight hit him like an impact from Big Mac's truck. The only sound he could hear was the intense rhythmic thumping of his heart; the boy sat motionless, alone in his thoughts.

"-sound good, Spike?"

Like a bucket of water had been poured on him, Spike was jolted awake by the words of..one of his friends. He frantically looked around to find the source of the noise but was only met with the confused stares of his friends.

"You okay, partner?" Applejack spoke from his left, a concerned tone evident in her voice.

"No - I mean, yes! Perfectly okay! Nothing to worry about. Pinkie promise!" Spike plastered an uncomfortably large smile on his face, hoping his friends wouldn't pry. The confused looks remained.

Rainbow Dash coughed, "Okay then...We were just getting ready to play a game of Truth or Dare!"

The girl may as well have been speaking to a vegetable with the state Spike was currently in, but he knew he had to respond before even more suspicion was aroused.

"Truth or Dare?"

"Yup."

"Like...the game?"

Fluttershy scratched her head, "Is there...some other thing that could mean?"

"I - no, I guess not."

"Let's get this party started everyone!" Rainbow gestured at Pinkie, "Explain the rules, please."

Pinkie pulled a gold trimmed scroll scroll from the depths of her hair and allowed it to unravel across the floor; she carefully studied the rolled out text for several seconds, a look of heavy concentration impressed upon her visage.

"Pinkie, there's nothing there." A confused Twilight spoke as she peeked at her friend's suddenly materialized scroll.

"Oh, right. Wrong scroll! But that's okay cuz' the rules are super simple," she haphazardly tossed the scroll away and loudly cleared her throat, "Everyone gets a turn to ask someone of their choosing a question they have to answer truthfully or they can give a dare." Pinkie looked at Rainbow Dash, "Except all the dares have to be fun - not meant to hurt anyone, cough cough!" Rainbow Dash cowered under the looks of contempt being directed at her and made no attempt to defend herself.

"And there you have it! Simple as that."

Applejack slapped Spike on the back, "Ya' ready, Spike?"

Spike felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. He had played Truth or Dare before, but never with his friends - certainly, never with a bunch of hormone-pumped teenage girls! The flirtatiously charged atmosphere gave him cause for concern at what the game might have in store for them. His throat dried, "This is a bad idea."
Despite his mental protestations, he offered a stiff nod to the farm girl's question. The slight pain that came with another back clap barely registered; his mind raced with countless thoughts about the ways the game could end poorly, and his palms clammed up.

"Maybe I can go hang out in the bathroom for the next hour?"

"Alrighty! Let's do this!" Pinkie spun the arrow attached to a wheel with all eight of their names on it; time slowed to a standstill as the arrow slowly approached the last name Spike wanted it to. "Oh no."

"Looks like you're the first one up, Sunset!"

Spike knew his fate had been sealed the moment the arrow settled on Sunset. He closed his eyes, a gut instinct telling him he would be the girl's first target of the night.

"So, Spike, I've been meaning to ask you about Prom..."

Author's Note:

Hi, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter as it was a lot of fun to write. Thank you for all the likes and favorites; I really appreciate them :twilightsheepish: